Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If 14" has a functional bank account and can get to a branch office on opening tomorrow AM, we can wire him money. If another goon has an account with the same bank, probably some kind of e-check could clear immediately.

If we knew exactly where he is, we might be able to get a goon to him in person to hand him cash.

Failing all of that, western union is a ripoff but it does work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

If we can all get together and have one person send it- there is a Wal-Mart-2-Wal-Mart transfer. It costs $5 to send up to $50, and $9.50 to send up to $900, which is a heck of a lot cheaper. This, however, :siren: Requires Wal-Mart customer service :siren: .

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 31, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

First of all we need a solid location. :/

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I'm in for $25 at least. I'm in Aussie so it's probably easier if I can Paypal the money to someone

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I explained to my girlfriend what was going on, she said I can send some cash.

But to be very realistic right now, we need to send him money and he needs to go home. That Jeep clearly isn't going to make it to Nebraska.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
We need to convince him to hitch or beg a ride to the nearest greyhound stop. Can we buy GH tickets and have them waiting somewhere? I haven't been on one in 15 years

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

everdave posted:

We need to convince him to hitch or beg a ride to the nearest greyhound stop. Can we buy GH tickets and have them waiting somewhere? I haven't been on one in 15 years

They're called "Gift Tickets" and cost something like $20 more. I bought one awhile back to get my cousin to rehab. Kind of an odd parallel here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

14 INCH is Finnegan?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMNcOZYhuwu/?taken-by=finnegan999&hl=en

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

everdave posted:

Yeah, the :black101:FURY ROAD:black101: thing only works if there's a non-zero chance of success. At this point 14 just needs a bus ticket.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Anyone have any more *solid* info on how we can get money to Dave?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

14 INCH showing up on an episode of Roadkill would be the single greatest thing to ever happen in this hosed-up version of reality.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MrYenko posted:

14 INCH showing up on an episode of Roadkill would be the single greatest thing to ever happen in this hosed-up version of reality.

IMO just send a message to Freiburger summarizing the situation and tell him to get 14" and a camera crew to Nebraska for some guaranteed gold

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
IDK if you guys are all following the other thread but the owner of the old truck said he's gotta catch a bus and go home on Wednesday if it's not driveable by then.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I sent 14 a text and it seems like he has perhaps gotten out of the woods on the repeatedly-breaking-down XJ.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I sent 14 a text and it seems like he has perhaps gotten out of the woods on the repeatedly-breaking-down XJ.

Which direction is he pushing it?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I don't know if he'll be able to make it to the truck at the rate he's going. Gonna be cutting it very close.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 is stuck in Spokane, thinks he has the fuel and oil consumption problem patched but is out of gas money.

He is "headed to Wal-Mart", I think to speak with customer service and hopefully get a card activated that we can put money on.

14 INCH JEEP posted:

pls ask ioc change thread title to 'Verdi's Requiem for a Jeep'

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tell him to turn around and go home. He's never going to make it at this rate.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Tell him to turn around and go home. He's never going to make it at this rate.
For all I know that may be his plan but currently he is dead in the water.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look I love this dude, he's hilarious and entertaining but he's also very headstrong and will probably think to himself that he can make it there by shear force of will. If we don't gang up on him he's going to push on. Somebody calculate the distance he has to travel back, look up current gas prices along the way, factor in 10mpg and we send him that amount and stop there.

He needs to go home or he's going to end up broken down in the middle of nowhere and he'll freeze to death.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

"captioned i was bound to check if i had wipers sooner or later"

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno might be a downer debby, but he's completely right. Sometimes you need to abort the mission.

He's about 300 miles from home, AFAICT. That's about $100 for gas and a couple piss bottles en-route. Is anyone going to step up to do a PP setup if we end up doing that? Wallyworld is 1/2 hour from me on a good day, and it was sleeting yesterday, so it's going to be fun(tm) to deal with if I have to do it- I also lack the requisite $100.

If we end up doing a W2W it'll be quite a bit cheaper, but we need to know where we're sending it, still.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That boring crown vic sure would come in handy right about now!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Look I love this dude, he's hilarious and entertaining but he's also very headstrong and will probably think to himself that he can make it there by shear force of will. If we don't gang up on him he's going to push on. Somebody calculate the distance he has to travel back, look up current gas prices along the way, factor in 10mpg and we send him that amount and stop there.

He needs to go home or he's going to end up broken down in the middle of nowhere and he'll freeze to death.

I want him to get that fastback, but he's made it 300 miles in 3 days. There's over 1000 miles to go.

Astonishing Wang posted:

That boring crown vic sure would come in handy right about now!

No, the boring crown vic would be sitting in a Nebraska field right now, having delivered him to the job site days ago.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

I follow this thread but I must have missed why he's going to Nebraska, if it was even stated at all. What's there?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

foozwak posted:

I follow this thread but I must have missed why he's going to Nebraska, if it was even stated at all. What's there?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773374

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also the plan is that if the truck isn't getting close to being done by Wednesday, the dude is gonna head home on a bus. But probably by Wednesday even if it's sort of running, there will still be work to be done... and I dunno if 14" was planning on going home at that point, or helping drive the truck to Florida.

The real concern here is that, best-case scenario, 14" is either gonna get there in one ridiculously long stint of driving that will leave him exhausted or useless, or he's gonna get there on maybe Tuesday night. He might have time to help with the last day or two of fixing the dump truck? That might be valuable.

But less than best case scenarios don't look very good.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Did that $1400 GoFundMe money go through?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

Rhyno might be a downer debby, but he's completely right. Sometimes you need to abort the mission.

He's about 300 miles from home, AFAICT. That's about $100 for gas and a couple piss bottles en-route. Is anyone going to step up to do a PP setup if we end up doing that? Wallyworld is 1/2 hour from me on a good day, and it was sleeting yesterday, so it's going to be fun(tm) to deal with if I have to do it- I also lack the requisite $100.

If we end up doing a W2W it'll be quite a bit cheaper, but we need to know where we're sending it, still.
You don't get PM's but if it's safe for you to travel, and you do feel like going to meet him, I'll cover the $100 he needs to get home and throw you some gas money. Only if he uses it to go home though. Just looking at it realistically as Rhyno did, that's the only current viable option for him in this plan of action. Sorry to be a party pooper.

e: welp;

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 31, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The life lesson is to always have one reliable vehicle I guess.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wrar posted:

The life lesson is to always have one reliable vehicle I guess.

...gently caress.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You don't get PM's but if it's safe for you to travel, and you do feel like going to meet him, I'll cover the $100 he needs to get home and throw you some gas money.

Believe me, I'd love to, but I'm in California. Wal-Mart is about half an hour from me on a good day.

Wrar posted:

The life lesson is to always have one parts car for your parts car I guess.

FTFW :colbert:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So I informed him of the logistics and the concern of you all, and it went about like you should expect.

14 INCH JEEP posted:

tell thread i proceed to target. payload is hot and armed

14 INCH JEEP posted:

i have literally all i need but funds for gas and oil and sealants\adhesives. jeep finally drives well

If ExplodingSims could be reached to say where he's at on the project, that would be ideal.

His location is:

Shadle Center, 2301 W Wellesley Ave, Spokane, WA 99205 - Wal-Mart Store #2865

14 inch spoke to customer service and the W2W transfer is the only option, as he does not have internet access to register a pre paid card.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

angryrobots posted:

14 inch spoke to customer service and the W2W transfer is the only option, as he does not have internet access to register a pre paid card.

There is free internet at virtually every Wal-Mart if he can borrow a laptop or the cell phone has WiFi. W2W will still be cheaper, though.

The biggest issue with W2W is that unless we all want to get hit with nasty fees, we need to trust someone to pool the funds and remit payment. I've got $40 I can throw to the cause from selling a couple things on SAMart, but those are only available via PayPal, and I don't want to pay 10% of that sending it to him if I can send it to him, instead.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm not sure what his eta is, but if he thinks he can make it here, there's still lots to be done.

Unfortunately I think due to parts avalibility and shipping times we may be in a bit of a failure state here with regards to how much time I can spend here.

I definitely would love for hime yo come and help, but I don't want him to kill himself out there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14" is about to drive past a bunch of parts stores and junk yards and stuff on his way. Perhaps multiple birds can be stoned to death, and 14's utility to the project can be enhanced, if we can identify critical parts along his path that he can stop and grab? He does have a trunk full of tools, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If it wasn't about to be winter this would still work but with the weather turning he needs to go home.

I don't want to be a debbie downer, I want Dave to remain alive.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

West SAAB Story posted:

There is free internet at virtually every Wal-Mart if he can borrow a laptop or the cell phone has WiFi. W2W will still be cheaper, though.

The biggest issue with W2W is that unless we all want to get hit with nasty fees, we need to trust someone to pool the funds and remit payment. I've got $40 I can throw to the cause from selling a couple things on SAMart, but those are only available via PayPal, and I don't want to pay 10% of that sending it to him if I can send it to him, instead.
His phone is pre Wi-Fi. I can volunteer to send him some cash when I get off work via W2W, and y'all can pay me back for some of it or whatever.

Currently he wants to drive to Butte and evaluate whether the jeep can continue.

Sims, I know you're working but if you could give the short and dirty of what you plan to do that would be great. Leaving for home when, and returning to the truck how long in the future?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
idk why he feels obligated to follow through on this but its time to head home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think you guys understand just how emotionally committed to this trip 14 is. He's been looking forward to it for months.

I don't want him to break down somewhere cold and die of exposure either, of course. But if he gets there just in time to go home, well: the journey was the destination all along.

• Locked thread