Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone at Razer should be spearheading some development work to make a slightly thinner machine with a lower-power CPU and integrated graphics to snatch up all the MacBook Pro customers before they (or Apple) come to their senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Google should stop loving around with the Chromebook pixel and get in on the laptop wars. they can't possibly make a weirder product than the pixel.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I touched one of the new ones today. I think I want one.

Bob Morales posted:

Someone at Razer should be spearheading some development work to make a slightly thinner machine with a lower-power CPU and integrated graphics to snatch up all the MacBook Pro customers before they (or Apple) come to their senses.
Competition is good.

Cyrano4747 posted:

How are you so hung up on this of all things? A lot of people, especially in the fields Apple traditionally targets, split work between home and office and throwing your machine in a messenger bag is pretty convienent. If it isn't something that you literally carry all day but just stick in your car then carry to the office the weight isn't an issue at all.
Doubly so if your work involves actual travel at all. Do I want to be Super Productivity Man trying to balance a 15 inch on a coach tray table for five hours? No but it's pretty loving sweet when I'm in the hotel room and frankly I can just use that airplane time to read or sleep or whatever.

It's cool if your use case is sticking an ultra light under your arm for business meetings or whatever but not everyone needs or wants that.

Also you are ignoring that a LOT of people have a single computer. Maybe it sits on your desk 99 days out of 100 but those 3.5 days a year when you want it to be mobile are a pretty compelling argument for getting a laptop.
I think you're making a decent point, and I'm not trying to be dismissive when I'm very short here: I'm mainly pointing out that thinness and low weight is actually an inherently good thing in a laptop. If to you, thinness and lightness don't matter, that's fine, but Apple has decided that you're not the person to dictate what portable design is going for right now. They've decided to go a bit more towards the portability end of the portability/power gradient.
And I'm completely unconvinced by people who wish them to slide way up towards the power end again. If Apple had listened to that kind of talk, we'd still be lugging around 5 pound laptops, 10 pound laptops with 2 hours of battery.

xgalaxy posted:

Enjoy your "keyboard" on a sub-1cm laptop.
loving idiot.
Oh I will, once they slim down the Macbook just 30% more.

eames
May 9, 2009

^ Is it possible to get people banned from SA for this type of trolling?

edit: v fair enough, I'll just unbookmark this topic :v:.

eames fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 31, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

eames posted:

^ Is it possible to get people banned from SA for this type of trolling?

We shouldn't, people have different opinions and that's fine. I don't like the new laptops, but if others do, that's fine.

In general as SA membership and participation thins, bans are rare outside of the shitposting subforums. If I haven't gotten banned for all my poo poo-posting in Toronto LAN, no one can get banned.

(USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I love how Apple is getting absolutely savaged by every corner of the internet over this launch. I've never seen anything quite like it, it's really entertaining.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

I love how Apple is getting absolutely savaged by every corner of the internet over this launch. I've never seen anything quite like it, it's really entertaining.
The tech magazines are celebrating it, with a zeal that's actually funny: http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/27/13419182/apple-new-macbook-pro-video-photos-hands-on

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Pryor on Fire posted:

Feels like it happens every time they launch anything, nowadays. And then it ends up being great.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I hate to admit it, but Apple is generally pretty good about saying 'gently caress you' to older technologies that people don't yet realize they shouldn't be using anymore.

Lightning cables being poo poo for transmitting video is one. I think the AV out cables need a tiny hardware decoder in the cable connector to work. It sounds like a downgrade from the old 30pin, but Apple knew no one wanted to plug their iOS device into their TV. The few times I tried to do it on an old iPad it was miserable. Much easier to stream it to a device especially made to output that kind of media (available for $150 at the Apple Store).

They still seem weirdly out of sync. The fact they whole-heartedly embraced USB-C for everything except mobile devices is really odd. I mean, I'm glad they didn't go full Sony and make everything a Lightning connector, but going half-in/half-out due to conflicting motivations is still very much a Sony thing. Like there's maybe an internal Apple division blocking USB-C on iPhones because then where would they make their 300% mark-ups on cable sales.

Still doesn't explain the loving SD card slot. I hope whoever greenlighted that poo poo gets Jobs' cancer. and gets appropriate treatment in a timely manner so they don't die

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Biodome posted:

Feels like it happens every time they launch anything, nowadays. And then it ends up being great.

The only time I remember them getting roasted this bad is when they came out with the iPad.

Nobody was happy about the trashcan pro and it didn't sell for poo poo.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Krispy Kareem posted:

The fact they whole-heartedly embraced USB-C for everything except mobile devices is really odd.

USB-C is too fat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

jawbroken posted:

USB-C is too fat.

Is it? Serious question. The connector looks like a similar size, but I don't know if the internals are any different.

Bob Morales posted:

The only time I remember them getting roasted this bad is when they came out with the iPad.

Nobody was happy about the trashcan pro and it didn't sell for poo poo.

But it was so overpriced that it probably still made a profit. Plus they got some government good will for assembling them in the States.

The Internet hated the first iPod even more than the first iPad. The Internet is stupid.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is it? Serious question. The connector looks like a similar size, but I don't know if the internals are any different.

lightning is 1.5 X 6.7mm and usbc is 2.6 X 8.4mm , pretty small difference but enough that apple will probably never switch

Perplx fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 31, 2016

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there any way we can pool our powers together to make a goonbook pro?

procgen
Feb 27, 2016

Housh posted:

Is there any way we can pool our powers together to make a goonbook pro?

This ought to get us moving in the right direction. Of course it's a touch display, and you'll notice that all function keys are intact.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

procgen posted:

This ought to get us moving in the right direction. Of course it's a touch display, and you'll notice that all function keys are intact.

sorry i only use fully mechanical keyboards :smug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

The startup chime is next. :rip:

:smith:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Biodome posted:

No I've been watching these since the 80s, this one is unique. People are loving mad in a way that is beyond even reasonable, I think it's like half anger at apple and half existential angst at the death of an industry. It's really something else.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Skimmed thread and done some googling but can't find any detailed batter tests on the no-touch macbook pro. Apple only says 10 hours, but I bet it's really 12 hours. It has same 54 watt hours and U-series processor as the 13" MacBook Air and an even more efficient display, and that 13" Air is advertised with 12 hours of battery.

Anyone seen any good benchmarks?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Krispy Kareem posted:

I hate to admit it, but Apple is generally pretty good about saying 'gently caress you' to older technologies that people don't yet realize they shouldn't be using anymore.

Lightning cables being poo poo for transmitting video is one. I think the AV out cables need a tiny hardware decoder in the cable connector to work. It sounds like a downgrade from the old 30pin, but Apple knew no one wanted to plug their iOS device into their TV. The few times I tried to do it on an old iPad it was miserable. Much easier to stream it to a device especially made to output that kind of media (available for $150 at the Apple Store).

I recently got to find out how much of a shitshow iOS video output is while trying to rig up a status board with an old iPad 4 + TV we had laying around at work. Yeah, it essentially loving airplays the video over the wire, with even worse compression than over wifi somehow.

Conclusion: Don't do this, return the adapters and use that money to buy a ChromeOS stick instead.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I went and touched a new rMBP at the Apple Store today. The keyboard isn't great, but otherwise it is a fantastic laptop, and I might go back and buy one. The price was putting me off at first, but then I realized my previous 13" with largely identical specs cost the same.

The only hangup I have is performance - it used the lower wattage CPU, and I don't know how the Iris graphics compare. I do light gaming in Windows, and my 2015 13" does fine with it, but I wouldn't want to lose any performance.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Internet hated the first iPod even more than the first iPad. The Internet is stupid.

Also reminder that the first iPhone was lambasted for being "too big".

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

IuniusBrutus posted:

I went and touched a new rMBP at the Apple Store today. The keyboard isn't great, but otherwise it is a fantastic laptop, and I might go back and buy one. The price was putting me off at first, but then I realized my previous 13" with largely identical specs cost the same.

The only hangup I have is performance - it used the lower wattage CPU, and I don't know how the Iris graphics compare. I do light gaming in Windows, and my 2015 13" does fine with it, but I wouldn't want to lose any performance.

Is the keyboard roughly the same size? The rMBP/MBA keyboard is close to as cramped as I could comfortably go. It's something I thought of when I went out to check out the Dell XPS in person, the super thin bezel means their 13" is smaller than the (old) Apple 13" I'm used to.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I have many complaints about the direction they're taking but even as the owner of a MBA 11" I don't understand the complaints about the mac keyboards being bad or cramped. What are some examples of a good keyboard?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Yup still no microSD card slot

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

nerdz posted:

I have many complaints about the direction they're taking but even as the owner of a MBA 11" I don't understand the complaints about the mac keyboards being bad or cramped. What are some examples of a good keyboard?

The 2016 rMB

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

The Milkman posted:

Is the keyboard roughly the same size? The rMBP/MBA keyboard is close to as cramped as I could comfortably go. It's something I thought of when I went out to check out the Dell XPS in person, the super thin bezel means their 13" is smaller than the (old) Apple 13" I'm used to.

It's basically the same, but the key switches are extremely similar to the MacBook. I'm not a huge fan.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

nerdz posted:

http://wasdkeyboards.com

But, what I meant was that the keyboard on old 13" was fine and good, but any smaller and I think I'd have a bad time.

IuniusBrutus posted:

It's basically the same, but the key switches are extremely similar to the MacBook. I'm not a huge fan.

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with the switches on the rMB but that I could adjust to with time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is $1300 a good price for 2015 rmbp 15" 2.2GHz, 512GB flash?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Mordiceius posted:

Is $1300 a good price for 2015 rmbp 15" 2.2GHz, 512GB flash?

Depends. If it's broken and water is seeping out of the ports then nah, if it's new or refurb it's crazy good.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Honj Steak posted:

Depends. If it's broken and water is seeping out of the ports then nah, if it's new or refurb it's crazy good.

I've just been trawling through Craigslist for them. Talked to the guy about it, he's has it about a year and is selling it because he's upgrading. No AppleCare with it though.

I plan on using the computer for film editing with adobe premiere.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 31, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mordiceius posted:

I've just been trawling through Craigslist for them. Talked to the guy about it, he's has it about a year and is selling it because he's upgrading. No AppleCare with it though.

Keep in mind when buying less than 1 year old Macs on craigslist that a decent amount of them are stolen. Not saying specifically that one is, but someone selling a 1 year old PC for half price is suspicious.

The reasonable expectation for the Macbook ultraportable is that with the Kaby Lake update coming sometime in the next 6 months, they're also going to make it's single port a Thunderbolt 3, right?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That is pretty drat cheap, like maybe suspiciously so.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

mulls posted:

I bet it's really 12 hours. It has same 54 watt hours and U-series processor as the 13" MacBook Air and an even more efficient display
The display is also *much* higher resolution, which requires significantly more processing power. From a quick search, the 1080p Dell XPS 13 lasted 12 hours, whereas the touchscreen 1800p one lasted a mere 8.

edit: oh hey http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/macbook-pro-13-inch

quote:

Apple rates the 54.5 watt-hour battery in the 13-inch MacBook Pro for 10 hours of web surfing time, but we saw more impressive results. On the Laptop Mag web surfing test, in which we set the screen at 100 nits of brightness and surf the web over Wi-Fi, the MacBook Pro lasted an awesome 12 hours and 21 minutes. That beats the last 2015 MacBook Pro we reviewed, which lasted 12:04.
also

Twerk from Home posted:

Keep in mind when buying less than 1 year old Macs on craigslist that a decent amount of them are stolen. Not saying specifically that one is, but someone selling a 1 year old PC for half price is suspicious.
As the proud owner of a possibly stolen MBP bought off Craigslist for suspiciously cheap, I say go for it

Linguica fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 31, 2016

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Linguica posted:

The display is also *much* higher resolution, which requires significantly more processing power. From a quick search, the 1080p Dell XPS 13 lasted 12 hours, whereas the touchscreen 1800p one lasted a mere 8.

As the proud owner of a possibly stolen MBP bought off Craigslist for suspiciously cheap, I say go for it

Have you ever had to take it in to get something fixed? As time goes on these things get more and more annoying to self service and cheaper just to go to the apple store but I would be afraid of it being flagged.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

Have you ever had to take it in to get something fixed? As time goes on these things get more and more annoying to self service and cheaper just to go to the apple store but I would be afraid of it being flagged.

No such thing. Apple 'warranties the device, not the user'.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204315

Other than the Find My iPhone and Find My Mac apps, there is no other Apple service that finds, tracks, or otherwise flags your device for you.

Alice steals Bob's laptop. Alice goes in for warranty support. Apple can't prove Alice stole it so they fix her broken NVIDIA graphics.

The only way you are going to 'flag' your laptop and get it back (without Find My Mac) is if Alice's meth-head boyfriends gets popped robbing a Rite-Aid and then they take a warrant and search her house and find your laptop and cross reference the serial # with the local PD and they get it back before they can sell it.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
e:removed, missed the above post

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Twerk from Home posted:

It's kinda ridiculous to say that -- if you're a legit seller of a non-stolen device you still have to price match to what other sellers are charging.

I have a brand new 15" rmbp in SA-Mart for like 55% of retail and only got one nibble on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KS posted:

It's kinda ridiculous to say that -- if you're a legit seller of a non-stolen device you still have to price match to what other sellers are charging.

I have a brand new 15" rmbp in SA-Mart for like 55% of retail and only got one nibble on it.

Apparently I need to start buying used high-end macs, the last time I did a big look-around 3 or 4 year old Macs were going for about that price, so I'm surprised that less than 1 year old Macs depreciate that fast legitimately.