Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zaggitz posted:

Michael Schur definitely does or this episode wouldn't have happened.

:colbert:

gret posted:

-1000 for voting Trump
-800 for voting Clinton
-10000 for voting Libertarian

Fixed! :)

Rocksicles posted:

Anchovies are the greatest thing to ever grace a pizza menu.

Polygynous posted:

compromise worst pizza: hawaiian but with anchovies instead of ham/canadian bacon

I accept your compromise. Derail complete. Moving on!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Bad Place on this TV show.

Other Eleanor hardly looks traumatized at all! Our Eleanor has been in the Good Place for, what, a week? If you can be in the Bad Place for a week is can't be that bad.

EDIT:

raditts posted:

The answer to this question is no. No it is not.

+1000 Deez Nuts / Sweet Meteor o' Death

The Bad Place will not be kind to you. At best, it will be indifferent.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
"108 replies? Did Kristen Bell die or something?

Oh. Pizza."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Other Eleanor hardly looks traumatized at all! Our Eleanor has been in the Good Place for, what, a week? If you can be in the Bad Place for a week is can't be that bad.

It's probably been about a month. They were confined to houses for a week and there was some time that passed before the restaurant opening. A month feels about right.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hawaiian pizza is good, though?

The answer to this question is no. No it is not.

stone cold posted:

What about the primaries?
-1200 Jim Webb
-800 Laurence Lessig
-800 MO'M
-200 Lincoln Chafee
+218 Supported transition to the metric system (USA)

+1000 Deez Nuts / Sweet Meteor o' Death

raditts fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 30, 2016

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i thought the most important part of this episode was lore-wise explaining that you can simply take a train between the good and the bad place.

the rest of it all was a throwaway.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

The train also goes to The Eternal Shriek.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I look forward to actually seeing the Bad Place, and also finding out why the mistake was made, although I expect that reveal in particular is being held for the end of the season. Maybe not, though, because these last two episodes have blown up the status quo.

One reason I'm really glad Adam Scott appeared is that the show has a terrific main cast, but it's lacking in any supporting players. I liked the dudes who loved picking up trash, the angry chef, and the marriage counselor/lie detector couple, and wish we'd see more of the Good Place's residents. but with 13 episodes, I imagine they've got a lot of plot to run through. I do appreciate the somewhat unusual experiment of a heavily plot-driven comedy with its own mythology.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I am excited by a role that allows Adam Scott to play a giant douche. The delivery of the "You should smile more" line killed me

Unmature
May 9, 2008
As a Hawaiian pizza fan I found the new episode very offensive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's interesting that nobody sold Jianyu out, as it's unlikely that Eleanor was a mistake and he wasn't. Eleanor being sent to the bad place and he still pretending to be good shouldn't have fixed anything, and Chidi doesn't owe him anything - he only told Eleanor he'd always stand by her regardless.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That wouldn't be very ethical now would it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's interesting that nobody sold Jianyu out, as it's unlikely that Eleanor was a mistake and he wasn't. Eleanor being sent to the bad place and he still pretending to be good shouldn't have fixed anything, and Chidi doesn't owe him anything - he only told Eleanor he'd always stand by her regardless.

They were essentially all saved by the file showing up at the 11th hour, right before Michael questioned Chidi.

Chidi's appeal to Michael was a really great scene though. Michael as a character is really great. Because he's essentially someone who has a great deal of responsibility and authority, but he's really just learning how it applies to human beings. But it's a process we get to see. From the first few episodes, I really thought he was going to be a kind of lame "wacky boss/fish-out-of-water" character, but he's so much more.

I'm still trying to figure out if Tahani is really supposed to have been a real celebrity who knows Kanye and Taylor and Beyonce, or if she's some kind of pathological liar. The cube turned green after she said that, but the way she phased it was something like "I have been so distressed since [event]" which could be interpreted as true, even if the details of that even are not...

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I'm still trying to figure out if Tahani is really supposed to have been a real celebrity who knows Kanye and Taylor and Beyonce, or if she's some kind of pathological liar. The cube turned green after she said that, but the way she phased it was something like "I have been so distressed since [event]" which could be interpreted as true, even if the details of that even are not...

I get the impression she got really good at phrasing and seeing things in a way that aren't technically lies. So, between that and all the other charity stuff might be why she just barely squeaked into that neighborhood.

The quote in ep2 where she insinuates that Princess Diana was her aunt or something comes to mind.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

They were essentially all saved by the file showing up at the 11th hour, right before Michael questioned Chidi.

Chidi's appeal to Michael was a really great scene though. Michael as a character is really great. Because he's essentially someone who has a great deal of responsibility and authority, but he's really just learning how it applies to human beings. But it's a process we get to see. From the first few episodes, I really thought he was going to be a kind of lame "wacky boss/fish-out-of-water" character, but he's so much more.

It honestly blows my mind that people think Tahani's meant to be a liar. Before I checked this thread that had never occurred to me and no one I've talked to in real life about the show thinks this. I really think you guys are overthinking this.Tahani's a humblebragger who has lived a comically exaggerated illustrious life. We even saw in her flashback how rich her family was. The show isn't telling you she's a celebrity, just an immensely privileged person who knew celebrities. There are actual rich people like this. The only part that's a stretch is that she was a sincerely good person despite all that.

Higgy posted:

The quote in ep2 where she insinuates that Princess Diana was her aunt or something comes to mind.

Princess Diana was her godmother. That was the joke. It wasn't a tricky riddle you're supposed to solve. It was a very simple character fact, and the joke was how she delivered it in the offhand way privileged people do when they're humblebragging. It's like calling a mansion of a summer home a "cottage."

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Great episode.. loved the truth cube. I thought maybe Eleanor would get sent to the Bad Place but would be too moral for them, thus messing everything up.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Based on her flashbacks she's also massively insecure because apparently her parents couldn't appreciate average-to-good results vs whatever her sister was doing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

xbilkis posted:

I am excited by a role that allows Adam Scott to play a giant douche. The delivery of the "You should smile more" line killed me

That did nothing to change my opinion that Adam Scott is the American version of David Tennant

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

xbilkis posted:

He was wonderful in Step Brothers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

howe_sam posted:

That did nothing to change my opinion that Adam Scott is the American version of David Tennant

You seem to be stating this as though it's a bad thing, although I'm not sure why, or how that comparison even makes sense

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I don't think he's subtle in his emulation of David Tennant's Kilgrave.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It honestly blows my mind that people think Tahani's meant to be a liar. Before I checked this thread that had never occurred to me and no one I've talked to in real life about the show thinks this. I really think you guys are overthinking this.Tahani's a humblebragger who has lived a comically exaggerated illustrious life. We even saw in her flashback how rich her family was. The show isn't telling you she's a celebrity, just an immensely privileged person who knew celebrities. There are actual rich people like this. The only part that's a stretch is that she was a sincerely good person despite all that.

Interestingly, I think Tahani's character exists to show us that actions speak louder than words. Her entire life she did good things for bad reasons. And that's carried over here where she wants to do good to be better than other good people, not in and of itself.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

tarlibone posted:

He was wonderful in Step Brothers.

And every TV role he's ever had.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
If Chidi's a French speaker how come he speaks flawless, American accented English in the flashbacks to when he was alive?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Because it's easier for the actor.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
He's claimed to be from both Senegal and Nigeria. End of season plot twist is that Chidi is actually a fuckin' proper bastard. Like, not just a crummy dude but an actual thieving murderer.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Disgusting Coward posted:

If Chidi's a French speaker how come he speaks flawless, American accented English in the flashbacks to when he was alive?

Everyone else was probably speaking French in those scenes too.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Why were they scared of a hole when they can fly?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Adam Scott has been playing a dick since Boy Meets World

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
First heard about this show on Thursday, then binged watched the whole thing yesterday. Definitely my favorite new show of the year. Every character is goofy and loveable, it's hard to pick a favorite. It's the perfect mix if character-driven sitcom with a surreal twist.

Has anyone considered the possibility of actual good Eleanor becoming a freedom fighter for the Bad Place inhabitants?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder, if in the Bad Place, all they serve is Calzones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you like Adam Scott you should really watch the movie The Overnight starring him and Jason Schwatzmann.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I wonder, if in the Bad Place, all they serve is Calzones.

The Bad Place: The Low Cal Calzone Zone

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Not just calzones. But mini-calzones.

The kind that would ensicken Ron Swanson to the point that his bowel movements would crack a toilet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip0HaEnsFwQ

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
At this point, I'm really hoping to get an episode or two this season that effectively mirrors the pilot episodes but in The Bad Place with Good Eleanor.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
If next episode was the pilot episode but in The Bad Place, I'd be very happy. I'm curious to see how Real Eleanor stacks up against Kristen Bell's stellar performance.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I wanna call them Realanor and Bellanor but whenever I start to type it I can almost see "Cutesy Portmanteau: -15.837" appear on a screen somewhere.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I wanna call them Realanor and Bellanor but whenever I start to type it I can almost see "Cutesy Portmanteau: -15.837" appear on a screen somewhere.
I kinda hope the journos who created the brexit portmanteau (because politics needed brangolina-like portmanteau) will end up in the bad place.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Toplowtech posted:

I kinda hope the journos who created the brexit portmanteau (because politics needed brangolina-like portmanteau) will end up in the bad place.

I'll take political portmanteaus like "Brexit" every single day, and twice on Sundays, if it means we can stop using "-gate" as a suffix for political stories.

I mean, for gently caress's sake.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

tarlibone posted:

I'll take political portmanteaus like "Brexit" every single day, and twice on Sundays, if it means we can stop using "-gate" as a suffix for political stories.

I mean, for gently caress's sake.

I think the cool kids say -ghazi now

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I love hearing about Emailghazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Higgy posted:

At this point, I'm really hoping to get an episode or two this season that effectively mirrors the pilot episodes but in The Bad Place with Good Eleanor.

If this doesn't happen, I am going to be really sad, because it's too good of an idea not to use.

• Locked thread