Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

CommonShore posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/spirit-halloween-indigenous-costumes-culture-winnipeg-1.3811089

A seasonal costume company makes really racist costumes and then insists that they're not racist.

I'm glad I've never actually bought anything from them.

Their animatronics are fun to look at, though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But flamethrowers were mostly a WWII weapon.

Great War models weren’t portable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Platystemon posted:

But flamethrowers were mostly a WWII weapon.

Great War models weren’t portable.

Loooots of the weapons and tanks used in BF1 weren't really used in WW1. They get by because they're all things that were built or expirimental or used at the very end of the war, but showing the heavy tanks in major conflicts in the middle of the war and using lots of more advanced or rare guns all over the place is very historically inaccurate. They kept it accurate enough while generally favoring entertainment over realism.

After all, realistic WW1 would be sitting in a trench for weeks and then getting shot or gassed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/0xevho0.gifv

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CommonShore posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/spirit-halloween-indigenous-costumes-culture-winnipeg-1.3811089

A seasonal costume company makes really racist costumes and then insists that they're not racist.
What does racist even mean in this context.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

I'm dumb, I don't get it

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm dumb, I don't get it
People don't like jokes about WWI, due to the fact that it killed a large number of people.

(I assume it's the problem you're not getting, since the joke is pretty obvious.)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm dumb, I don't get it

World War I actually happened and that might be considered tasteless

e: beaten

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Strudel Man posted:

What does racist even mean in this context.

Like blackface, redface, etc. Dressing up as an offensive caricature of another race or culture. SUPER popular even in tyool 2016.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Like blackface, redface, etc. Dressing up as an offensive caricature of another race or culture. SUPER popular even in tyool 2016.
What makes those costumes offensive, other than not being historically accurate?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

What makes those costumes offensive, other than not being historically accurate?

Because the point of them is "lol minorities"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Slime posted:

Because the point of them is "lol minorities"
In other words, nothing. It's offensive and racist merely because it depicts another culture at all - after all, you could speak that exact criticism regardless of its design.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

In other words, nothing. It's offensive and racist merely because it depicts another culture at all - after all, you could speak that exact criticism regardless of its design.

So, how often do you wear blackface?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Dude he's obviously loving trolling with this, don't respond to him in earnest.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People that say tyool are more annoying than racists

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

You know what, that's valid. I'm ashamed of myself.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Can't believe people are still saying tyool in tyool 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Such behavior in this, the Year of Luigi.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

Ah, I see you're attempting reactive inverse retro-ironic double-genuine racism. Weak troll, but solid attempt.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
being racist is part of my white culture please stop appropriating it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The ol' "You're actually the racist one" gambit!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I can't believe the same derail that kept popping up in the Fury Road thread came here of all places.

Today's dumb move in marketing, and apologies for no pics as I'm phone posting: recently a new Marvel character was introduced, "Ironheart," a teen hero and Iron Man fan with her own suit. Comic books are still known for "variant" covers to get all that collector money, so they tapped an artist to draw one who is known for doing the typical "impossible sexy girl poses." If you didn't know the character was meant to be 15 you'd probably pass it over without a thought (or roll your eyes and give it a pass), it's not even especially egregious as far as those poses go. But for a company that advertises as being more and more diverse and wanting to cater to different demographics they sure keep falling back on Comic Book Creeper Guy (including the artists who insists it's not his fault for hypersexualing a 15 yo character because "that's who I was told to draw").

I like how the "fix" was to redraw her in the Iron Man suit instead of the belly shirt and yoga pants, but she's still got a broken hip pose. :ughh:

greg land?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

snergle posted:

greg land?

J. Scott Campbell

While I can see their point, I don't know I feel as adamantly as they do about its inappropriateness.

If it bothers people change it I guess, but it doesn't really bother me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

I like how the "fix" was to redraw her in the Iron Man suit instead of the belly shirt and yoga pants, but she's still got a broken hip pose.
I dramatically underestimated how dumb this could possibly look.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Whoopsie

https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/793180553138753536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
oh, I thought you guys were just joking about the WWI thing. I thought it was about club fires.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

9-11 happened only 15 years ago and its fine making jokes about that, don't see the reason that WW1 should be any different

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Have EA made many 9/11 jokes?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you are turning a period of human tragedy into a place for teenagers to call each other fags, you shouldn't be obliged to pretend having any respect for it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That's just the weird double-standard state that war videogames intentionally put themselves into. They advertise it as all ho-rah are troops and being memorable about the wars and the sacrifices and press X to pay your respects, but it all comes out goofy because they're really still entertainment games where you respawn instantly and not at all simulators, and the fact that most people playing are eating cheetos and drinking mountain dew and only kill about getting more frags.

Its gotten them in hot water in the past too, like when call of duty tried to sell guns or knives or whatever.

They'd probably be better off just ditching that air of realism completely, which I guess is what Call of Duty is doing now that they're moving into space.

To their credit BF1 does present the harshness of WW1 pretty well, but then the multiplayer completely undermines that, much less the marketing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

steinrokkan posted:

If you are turning a period of human tragedy into a place for teenagers to call each other fags, you shouldn't be obliged to pretend having any respect for it.

*presses F*

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lots of games put an anti-war quote in the loading screen or something to tell us war is bad, but they show us it's actually a cool fun adventure.

The only ones I can think of that made me think war is bad were Spec Ops the Line and This War of Mine. Maybe the original Canon Fodder as well (who I gather got a lot of poo poo for using the poppy)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Well, I think a lot of the pretense of respect for war and the impact on human life comes from paying homage to the mother of the entire genre of console based first person shooters, CoD4. The nuke scene was genuinely gripping and is still to this day one of the best sequences in any realistic military shooter. People like me still gush about it as much as we gush about Spec Ops. Those are two of the most critically acclaimed and well remembered shooters of the last generation.
But also, the genre has been getting a lot of well deserved flack for being racist, jingoistic, and entirely tone deaf to the implications of their games. So I think that especially after Hardline, where you're supposed to be excited to either murder cops or be a cop gunning down thieves and turning a robbery into a shoot out, EA wants Battlefield to be free of those legitimate complaints this time. Which is stupid in its own right, but I can understand the effort

Let's not forget the mess that is The Division, where you play a secret government agent in New York City after a bio-terrorism attack and gun down rioters to take their food and weapons.
You were supposedly the good guy in that situation, in case it wasn't obvious. Well armed soldiers that wear no uniform killing civilians in the street immediately following a terror attack because they are looting in a city with very limited supplies and no law enforcement is the American ideal of justice, or something.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Door Frame posted:

Let's not forget the mess that is The Division, where you play a secret government agent in New York City after a bio-terrorism attack and gun down rioters to take their food and weapons.
You were supposedly the good guy in that situation, in case it wasn't obvious. Well armed soldiers that wear no uniform killing civilians in the street immediately following a terror attack because they are looting in a city with very limited supplies and no law enforcement is the American ideal of justice, or something.

Assuming I remember right, the random guys you come across are usually picking over a dead body that they just killed (and they attack you on site), and the 2 types of bad guys you come across in missions are the "Cleaners" that kill everyone they come across and the guys that broke out of prison, so it's not just "kill hungry people"

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Nov 1, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Assuming I remember right, the random guys you come across are usually picking over a dead body that they just killed (and they attack you on site), and the 2 types of bad guys you come across in missions are the "Cleaners" that kill everyone they come across and the guys that broke out of prison, so it's not just "kill hungry people"

Oh, there are the cartoon villains too, but you do kill a lot of looters on sight, and then immediately take stuff off of their warm bodies. Only you attacking people on sight and looting the corpses of your victims is the good thing.
It's a little... hypocritical? Ironic? I can't think of the word, but it's definitely shaky moral ground, and definitely not something that people should be rooting for

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bitterandtwisted posted:

Lots of games put an anti-war quote in the loading screen or something to tell us war is bad, but they show us it's actually a cool fun adventure.

The only ones I can think of that made me think war is bad were Spec Ops the Line and This War of Mine. Maybe the original Canon Fodder as well (who I gather got a lot of poo poo for using the poppy)

Ohhh man trip down memory lane to my old Amiga 500. That game owned.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember when this post sparked controversy?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I spent the nuke scene in CoD4 hopping and crouching on the junglegym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Ohhh man trip down memory lane to my old Amiga 500. That game owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiYuq6Ac3a0

It was an ace game.