Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

eXXon posted:

Government/civics: I like the idea of the policy cards but there are too many of them and most are worthless. Changing your entire set of government policies every time you discover a new civic just encourages boring micromanagement.

You can spend gold to change civics whenever you want; you don't have to only change them on earning new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really don't understand why the religious lense stops working on some cities when you spread religion to them. What is it that causes it to go away until you fully convert the place?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Taear posted:

I really don't understand why the religious lense stops working on some cities when you spread religion to them. What is it that causes it to go away until you fully convert the place?

No majority religion?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Gort posted:

If you start at a later era, do the cities you found start with a bunch of buildings already built?

yes and if you start in the much later eras, when you drop districts they will automatically come with the first (and possibly second) buildings in them pre-built as well

also districts start at their base production cost of 60 and for some reason simply did not scale up for me, even after several tech+culture researches, so you can power up your cities really quickly

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zohar posted:

No majority religion?

That shouldn't really matter - the lense is there to show what religions are in the city so you know how many citizens you've converted!

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

How should I prioritize the districts to build? It seems to me that every city should at least have an industrial zone and a commerce district, and I tend to neglect theatre and encampment districts. Do I absolutely need a campus/holy site at the beginning. It all seems overwhelming when I try to plan cities.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

yes and if you start in the much later eras, when you drop districts they will automatically come with the first (and possibly second) buildings in them pre-built as well

also districts start at their base production cost of 60 and for some reason simply did not scale up for me, even after several tech+culture researches, so you can power up your cities really quickly

So the follow-up question becomes, "Why don't cities you settle in later eras start with some stuff built if you start in the ancient era?"

I remember that being something they fixed in the balance patch for Civ 5 - you got better versions of the settler unit as you went through the eras, which let you settle more developed cities.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the idea is that at that point you should be able to drop cash into new cities, but I agree you fresh settles later on should just get poo poo for free, especially since settlers cost so much later on

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Bluff Buster posted:

How should I prioritize the districts to build? It seems to me that every city should at least have an industrial zone and a commerce district, and I tend to neglect theatre and encampment districts. Do I absolutely need a campus/holy site at the beginning. It all seems overwhelming when I try to plan cities.

I agree with an industrial zone everywhere, but other than that I specialize pretty hard. You definitely don't need everything everywhere. You don't NEED an early campus but it does get the ball rolling and I try to prioritize it. You can get by just fine without a campus in every city, especially if you make sure the ones you do build have good bonuses (find those mountain valleys).

I won a game as America on Emperor without ever building a theater district, though I did end up capturing a couple. I don't recommend neglecting them that badly though, the civics came really slow.

Commerce and harbors are good because trade is really strong (I think it's insane that trade routes only give benefits to the originating city and not the destination and can't believe it's not a bug). If you're not pushing religion hard don't sweat the holy sites much. If you're not going for a religion at all you might never need to build one.

Encampments should be built either in cities that are going to do almost nothing but produce units or in cities that are likely routes for invasion. A couple of well placed entertainment districts should be enough to handle amenity problems, especially if you're managing to trade.

Neighborhoods and Aerodomes as needed. If I have doubts about whether or not I need a district I usually skip it. Cities that end up with nothing to build for awhile can run specialty projects.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Taear posted:

As I posted earlier my map has 3 squares of oil on it. Three. There's maybe 6 aluminium. I've played 40 hours now and so far I've had one game where I discovered a resource and was actually near to it. There's definitely something up with the calculation.

it might be a lack of valid tiles. normally most strat resources can't spawn under forests or jungles, which looked funny to me so i changed that for the mineral strat resources - and what do you know, next game there's significantly more coal/iron/niter

could just be the mapgen playing tricks with me of course

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Is Jesuit Settlements broken? It tells me I can buy certain districts with faith - do I have to have a holy site at the city to do it? If not I can definitely not do it at all.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

in other modding news i set modern roads to cost 0,2 movement per tile.

the game decided to charge me 0,19921875 instead

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think the idea is that at that point you should be able to drop cash into new cities, but I agree you fresh settles later on should just get poo poo for free, especially since settlers cost so much later on

You could at least solve this in Civ 5 by buying all the basic buildings in your new, icy uranium-mining town with your massive stockpiles of cash. I feel like Civ 6 really hampers you because you can't buy districts, so resort to buying a couple of builders and trying to micromanage farms and mines to get enough production to do anything useful, so settling new cities late in the game makes no sense whatsoever unless you desperately need a resource.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

To bring a question about diplomacy with the AI in this game... is there a reason why after about 10 turns meeting the AI, they all become unfriendly towards me even with positive modifiers in the relationship menu? Hell, if I forget to send a trade delegation on the first when I meet them, they will always refuse it, and nothing I can do can make them happy. Very rarely, they approach me with offers of friendship out of the blue after the turns previous they refused to be friends with me. And only Ghandi and Victoria have ever extended offers of friendship.

Edit to add: my checklist for things I want out of Civ VI patches and expansions.

1) A way to rush-buy districts, even if it takes a technology to do it. Or just let buildings from ancient eras come free, with a choice of district set up upon founding the city.
2) Better diplomacy with the AI so their agendas kick in slower, or for them to actually hear the player out with offers of friendship, trade delegations, etc. Fix the deal bug while you're at it.
3) For god's sake a way to tell the AI to get off my borders, stop picking on my city-states, denounce them for specific actions (which could help other AIs view them badly), etc.
4) City governors and/or a queue to build stuff, good god.
5) Some wonder rebalancing to justify how picky they are with adjacency and production cost.
6) Less powerful Eureka/Inspiration boosts.
7) Slightly stronger Great People.
8) Better distribution of strategic resources and/or units that fall in-between resource-needing units to prevent the whole "swordsman to infantry" bottleneck. Civ IV had a good way around this.
9) Faster map loading times. I don't understand what calculations are running under the hood but it shouldn't take an SSD an entire minute and some seconds to load a single map, or slow turns.
10) Clearer amenity rules. Making the Civilopedia explain stuff better. And put a Civilopedia button on the main menu. Just replace the "benchmark" button while you're at it.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 31, 2016

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Anyone else finding trade route management much harder? I'm missing the sort by function, and maybe it's also that I'm using way more internal trade routes since you can't buy districts so I'm micromanaging to my needier cities to get them industrial districts asap.

Olive Branch posted:

To bring a question about diplomacy with the AI in this game... is there a reason why after about 10 turns meeting the AI, they all become unfriendly towards me even with positive modifiers in the relationship menu? Hell, if I forget to send a trade delegation on the first when I meet them, they will always refuse it, and nothing I can do can make them happy. Very rarely, they approach me with offers of friendship out of the blue after the turns previous they refused to be friends with me. And only Ghandi and Victoria have ever extended offers of friendship.

Hidden agenda - air power. Wants to build lots of air units and dislikes civilizations that have not done so.

(Could be anything like this)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Taear posted:

Is Jesuit Settlements broken? It tells me I can buy certain districts with faith - do I have to have a holy site at the city to do it? If not I can definitely not do it at all.

You can buy the buildings in that district with faith, but you still have to build the district manually.

Peas and Rice posted:

You could at least solve this in Civ 5 by buying all the basic buildings in your new, icy uranium-mining town with your massive stockpiles of cash. I feel like Civ 6 really hampers you because you can't buy districts, so resort to buying a couple of builders and trying to micromanage farms and mines to get enough production to do anything useful, so settling new cities late in the game makes no sense whatsoever unless you desperately need a resource.

Any area with lots of trees is relatively painless to bootstrap.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

settling new cities late in the game makes no sense whatsoever unless you desperately need a resource.

or if you're the aztecs :getin:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

e: doublepost

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Olive Branch posted:

To bring a question about diplomacy with the AI in this game... is there a reason why after about 10 turns meeting the AI, they all become unfriendly towards me even with positive modifiers in the relationship menu?

Diplomacy is broken.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Peas and Rice posted:

There should probably be a late game policy that allows you to buy a city's first district with gold. Then again by the late game your good cities should already be established, so it kind of makes sense that younger, small cities are going to be specialized for things like border control or resource gobbling or beachside resorts

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

eXXon posted:

No gold for being beaten to a wonder is poo poo.

Actually it's cool and good and cool again. Wonders should be a high-risk high-reward minigame and getting beaten on one should rightfully net you nothing :colbert:

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

wyoak posted:

There should probably be a late game policy that allows you to buy a city's first district with gold. Then again by the late game your good cities should already be established, so it kind of makes sense that younger, small cities are going to be specialized for things like border control or resource gobbling or beachside resorts

Also, if you are settling new cities in range of a couple of IZs, you can get pretty significant production going right away. Just buy a Builder, get a farm triangle and a couple of mines, and you can build a new IZ pretty quickly. If you want to really boost it, send some internal trade routes from your new city as well.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Actually it's cool and good and cool again. Wonders should be a high-risk high-reward minigame and getting beaten on one should rightfully net you nothing :colbert:

Shame most wonders are garbage so it's just high-waste-your-time.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I think my favorite part of Civ6 is the new barb mechnics where the barb scout can wander around and not really do much or it can see you on turn 3 and run right back to the camp and create a huge army.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Am I blind how do I build railroads or whatever is in this game for the upgrade to roads?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

flashman posted:

Am I blind how do I build railroads or whatever is in this game for the upgrade to roads?

Roads upgrade automatically when you enter new eras.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

only as your traders roll over them I think

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

only as your traders roll over them I think

i believe they upgrade if within your borders, but outside you'll need a trader

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Still working on my first play through, mistakenly at a difficulty level higher than I normally do.

Is there a way to turn off the feature where the land of other countries doesn't become bold and I can actually see where the thin blue line for how far I can move in one turn is? I also don't like how I can't move with the num pad anymore.

I thought it was funny getting the broken promise penalty for not moving my units away from another country after that country declared surprise war on me. Pretty sure that's how war works.

I don't like how one unit will end a turn, then it goes to the next one and then right before I click to have it do something, it decides to jump to another unit.

On one hand, I kind of like what they did with barbarians so far but chasing down those scouts is a pain.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
patch WHEN??

finished a win on Prince as America. I enjoyed the little Washington Nationals reference in the achievement for winning as Teddy ("Let Teddy Win" was a slogan during the goofy "Presidents' Race" event at every home game for years)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I find it frustrating that science victories still require copious amounts of industry to even dream of completing. You can get mega tech'd up and mos things cost 5-10 turns to build, but the space stuff can still take 20-30. It should be hard to build, but its a bit silly its THAT MUCH MORE expensive to build.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

emdash posted:

patch WHEN??

Probably two months after release, if previous games are an indicator.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Also, look to see what each level of road does, because they really barely do anything until the modern era. I guess it helps that you benefit from them in enemy territory too, at least.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing in the early game, it feels like a whole lot of nothing, and I keep getting bored.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing in the early game, it feels like a whole lot of nothing, and I keep getting bored.

Do what the eurekas tell you to do. If the game just bores you, then play something else. They can't all be winners.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

prefect posted:

I met Teddy Roosevelt last night, and he seemed like a swell guy. He even said "thanks for keeping the peace on the continent", so I figured we were friends. He declared war on me not five turns later. :(

I settled a city on Roosevelt's continent for the diplo boost from having a city on his continent and then he denounced me for settling near him :(

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

This game might not be for you, go for the refund.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

They need to make them focus much more on upgrades (let them do it for free if that's what it takes) and have them combine into armies and corps regularly (which they do somewhat already). I think they also need to make them extremely pillage happy, because the AI is never going to be that great at taking cities. If they're pillaging everything they step on then at least they're doing some damage. As it stands war is just an experience farm that comes to you.

Actually they should stop giving the AI bonuses to yields, and just have their cities behave like barbarian camps by spawning tech-appropriate units next to them at intervals. I really don't see the point of giving the AI more and more production in the hopes that in all that building frenzy it will randomly stumble on the correct choices, and not just giving the things it needs to ruin your day.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Being beaten on a wonder should be an automatic Casus Belli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Tom Tucker posted:

Germany: Highlight is the Hansa, which craps out insane hammers. Every single one of my cities had a commercial / industrial hub system as close to mines as I could, with the double adjacency bonus I had tons of hammers.

You know the Hansa doesn't get an adjacency bonus from mines, right? It gets a bonus from resources, all three kinds. It's generally (though not always) easier to fulfill.

That reminds me of something: for all its faults, the AI is actually decent at putting districts down in good places.