Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Not pictured: the fat stack of cash difference.

Agreed. I too can't afford 2-3 legends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Figuarts is making Vince McMahon!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

At the least, he'll provide a neat base for people to make customs with.

On my end, I've fallen in love with Figuarts and Figma figures... was gifted two Figuarts DBZ figures and just pulled the trigger on 3 more because drat nostalgia and they're pretty great figures, to be honest.

Not sure if anime and specifically DBZ are still considered "lulz :frogout:" by the goon peanut gallery, but if anyone else is collecting those, was wondering what they thought of it. I've got the blue hair Vegeta and the new Premium Color Trunks, and pulled the trigger on the new Super Vegeta, Teen Gohan, and Piccolo.

Was seriously debating grabbing the Ultimate Gohan and swapping in the Awakening Goku, just so I have one that's not a lovely color for a reasonable price, but I'm on the fence since the new line seems to have some great new articulation and I'm wondering if there will be another Goku... logic would dictate that they put out Awakening recently so probably not, but he's the main character and they've put out two Vegetas recently, so who knows. Hopefully they do a cool Returning Goku or something in that funky armor... Could swap the extra Piccolo head onto that and sort of have an armored Nail or something, but more likely I feel like they'll put out a bullshit Time Chamber Goku and just reuse the new Trunks body with a Goku head. :arghfist::smith:

Edit:
Also, I can neither confirm or deny that some of my renewed interest in DBZ figures, of all things, has to do with this:

https://youtu.be/lyBnlOtDWCs

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 27, 2016

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I believe the very next figures to come out are battle damaged SSJ1/2 Teen Gohan, and a premium colored Cell.

Tamashii Nations (convention where they announce all the Figuarts) has shown that the next figures likely to go into production are Time Patrol Trunks, the player character from Xenoverse, and then Android Saga Tenshinhan, Android Saga Yamcha, Nappa, Gotenks, and likely re-releases of Saiyan Saga Vegeta, and SSJ3 Goku.

Currently, as far as Goku figures go, there's the easy to find SSJ Goku, base form Goku, SSJBlue Goku, "Awakened" (aka Dino Damage) Goku, and the two ridiculously difficult to find SSJ3 Goku and Namek Saga Base Goku which was only ever a Comic Con and Mexican(???) release, along with two also super hard to find recolors of SSJ and SSJ3 Goku.

You can also relatively easily find Vegetto, Piccolo, Android 16, Beerus, Whis, Ultimate Gohan, Golden Freeza, the premium colored Trunks, Saiyan Armor Trunks, and premium colored Super Vegeta.

Harder to find are the original teen Gohan, recolored original teen Gohan, original Super Vegeta, "wrong" colored Saiyan Saga Vegeta, original Trunks, final form Freeza, original Cell, Androids 17 and 18, Broly, Krillin.

They've also shown prototypes of SSJ4 Goku (barf), Shenlong and Porunga, and Super Buu.

I'm not sure how they've managed to release so many drat figures but never got around to releasing ANY form of Buu, aka the best bad guy.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Figuarts DBZ figures are amazing. But they have 2 ways of releasing them, 'Web Exclusive' and regular. The line was dying in Japan so they made 'Web Exclusives' which had the caveat that they would never be released again and not be in retail stores. This is almost ALL of the original figures in the line, and the vast majority of new figures.

Regular releases got a retail release as well as are constantly re-issued.

The policy is pretty bullshit, but they have decided to get around it due to the 'Premium Color' moniker they added. Some die hard fans claim that the 'Premium Color' versions all look like poo poo, but the vast majority are just butthurt that the figure they 'invested' $2-300+ in is now going for $100 tops.

You're coming into the line while it's exploding though. We used to get maybe 3-4 new figures a year, and now it's almost a new one every month when normalized over the year.

They also make Figuarts Zero which is a small plastic statue line, and a Figuarts Zero EX which is the larger scale polystone statues. I love the EX SSj3 Goku and Trunks, and I'm waiting on the Super Buu statue with baited breath. Those were the three they announced the line with, but they added a lovely Vegeta statue that just looks bad ( in my opinion at least ) before they announced a release date for Super Buu. :( Still waiting on him and it's been 2 years.

E: I also highly recommend Can of Beams for effects. he makes some nice custom Destructo Disk, Special Beam Canon, Kamehameha and Galick Gun effects. I have the Canon, Kamehameha and Galick Gun effects.

It seems he has expanded his line greatly since I ordered mine though!

I'll have to take a picture of my collection soon if you're interested. I'm all in on the Figuarts DBZ line, owning almost all of them outside of SSj3 Goku, and some recolors from SDCC.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 27, 2016

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
While I agree that some fans do go overboard about the quality of the premium colors, I was actually lucky enough to find out about the original Trunks when it was very first released. It was the first Japanese figure I ever got. Paid something like ~$40-50 for it.

Anyway, the premium color is fine, but a little bit on the glossy side, and it's a straight up fact that it doesn't come with as many faces or alternate hands as the original release.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

gently caress that, how has there been no Mr Satan figure?

I don't plan to get them all, but my current shortlist is:

SSGSS (:laffo:) Vegeta*
Super Vegeta*
Saiyan Saga Vegeta (need that goddamn black hair head!)
Some form of Goku in his gi (and correctly orange)
Teen Gohan*
Piccolo*
Trunks with sword* (Premium because I don't care about 2 extra hands and a few faces)
Frieza (NOT golden)
Cell (gonna grab the recolor)
Krillin (:gonk: at the mark up)
Possibly Yamcha, but only to pose him dead (he better have a dead face and both hairdos)
Nappa

Ultimate Gohan is also tempting, particularly when I can swap in Awakening Goku's superior shaded head. I'd also like a regular Goku head on the Awakening body to have him just be end of Saiyan Saga Goku, but that's all luxury and MY GIRLFRIEND will probably nix this collecting at a certain point, even though she's the one that got me both of my PAK figures as a birthday present. (They are cool, but way too big)

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Reinanigans posted:

While I agree that some fans do go overboard about the quality of the premium colors, I was actually lucky enough to find out about the original Trunks when it was very first released. It was the first Japanese figure I ever got. Paid something like ~$40-50 for it.

Anyway, the premium color is fine, but a little bit on the glossy side, and it's a straight up fact that it doesn't come with as many faces or alternate hands as the original release.

Ok, of note, nobody is wrong about the original Trunks Vs. premium edition Trunks. The old one came with WAY more accessories hands down! The glossy vs. non-glossy I don't care as about. But the tears on other boards like sideshow made every release look like their children were being ripped from their arms. They already have the original, so why does it matter if it is effectively re-issued.

Oh and that was another taboo. They aren't re-issues, because it came with different accessories and was slightly colored a shade different, which made it a completely new figure. Completely ignoring the 'effective' part of the sentence. For a new comer, they are more likely to spend $40 on a figure than $200+.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Oh for sure. I still don't get how she paid over $200 for two PAK figures. They're nice, but jesus that's a lot of money.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Fuzz posted:

gently caress that, how has there been no Mr Satan figure?

I don't plan to get them all, but my current shortlist is:

SSGSS (:laffo:) Vegeta*
Super Vegeta*
Saiyan Saga Vegeta (need that goddamn black hair head!)
Some form of Goku in his gi (and correctly orange)
Teen Gohan*
Piccolo*
Trunks with sword* (Premium because I don't care about 2 extra hands and a few faces)
Frieza (NOT golden)
Cell (gonna grab the recolor)
Krillin (:gonk: at the mark up)
Possibly Yamcha, but only to pose him dead (he better have a dead face and both hairdos)
Nappa

Ultimate Gohan is also tempting, particularly when I can swap in Awakening Goku's superior shaded head. I'd also like a regular Goku head on the Awakening body to have him just be end of Saiyan Saga Goku, but that's all luxury and MY GIRLFRIEND will probably nix this collecting at a certain point, even though she's the one that got me both of my PAK figures as a birthday present. (They are cool, but way too big)

Of this list, Frieza and Saiyan Saga Vegeta are at least rumored to get a Premium Color release. I don't know what they would do to recolor them as the original releases are Anime accurate, but we'll see. Vegeta is more likely since he's in such high demand still.

If you want a dead Yamcha, pick up:

I got the bootleg for like $20-30 and it's a great figure/statue. He's not quite in scale with the figuarts guys, but he's really well detailed.

Piccolo and Teen Gohan are on the short list of original regular releases, so they get re-issues generally often. Shouldn' t be too hard to get one of them on the cheap.

Also holy poo poo, the tease with Nappa. They still haven't released him and it's a loving tragedy!

E: Holy poo poo I need to get to work... Figuarts DBZ talk, what have you done to me!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I have a funny story about that Trunks that I just remembered.

So like I said, I originally paid the $40-50 that the figure cost on release. Then I boxed it up when I moved. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I'm thinking I lost the goddamn figure. "I must have thrown it away in the move, gently caress!"

So I went to eBay to buy a replacement at a RIDICULOUS markup. You know, ~$200-ish. I justified it by saying that there'd never be a Trunks figure as awesome as this one, and he was my favorite character, and yada yada.

Eventually I found the original figure boxed up somewhere, put the second one I bought on eBay and ended up making like $100 profit.

:downs:

Anyway, if I actually liked Vegeta, you'd better believe I'd buy the premium color one for a quarter of the price of the original, glossy paint or no. I'm debating whether to get Cell, and I'd definitely buy a premium color Krillin if they ever release it, though I'd then also feel compelled to buy an Android 18 for him.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

(I hope it comes with a SSJ3 head, but I know it won't)

That Nappa is so good. I'm betting they can even use him as a base for Recoome/Burter, and then use Vegeta's for Jeice. They'd have to make a new mold for Ginyu, but I'm sure he'd sell. Not sure if they'd bother making a whole new mold just for Guldo, though, but it would be really odd having 4/5 of the Ginyu force, so they'd probably have to if they made any of them at all.

edit:

Just saw this. Looks like a "Kaioken" recolor of Goku. Pretty lazy, but par for the course. All they had to do was take the Mexico/SDCC Goku, recolor him, and change his kanji from "Go" to "Kame" and "Kaio".

Honestly, all I want is a Goku figure representing his current look on DBSuper. His regular orange gi, no tassels on his belt, and his "Go" kanji emblems.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 27, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, I already grabbed the ongoing ones and really hope they somehow put out original Vegeta again, although I'd bet he'll come with less stuff this time around which is total bullshit... Hopefully they only lose the blast effects and none of the hands.

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Ultimate Gohan, as well. It just occurred to me that you could use the limbs from the new Trunks with it to possibly make a Great Saiyaman custom, which could be hilariously cool... steal the cape from a Superman and I dunno, maybe use an Ant Man head for the helmet. Could be awesome.

What is the preferred stand for these guys to look like they're flying? Was going to just do the coat hanger thing, but could conceivably bother with the clear stands if they're not overpriced and are actually pretty sturdy and won't wobble.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So glad Cell is getting re-release since screw paying 200 for him. I just wish Android 18 was cheaper, as she hovers around 80, which is a lot for a figure. I don't mind paying 30 - 50 for the Dragon Ball figuarts, but just a lot for one character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

:vince:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, I already grabbed the ongoing ones and really hope they somehow put out original Vegeta again, although I'd bet he'll come with less stuff this time around which is total bullshit... Hopefully they only lose the blast effects and none of the hands.

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Ultimate Gohan, as well. It just occurred to me that you could use the limbs from the new Trunks with it to possibly make a Great Saiyaman custom, which could be hilariously cool... steal the cape from a Superman and I dunno, maybe use an Ant Man head for the helmet. Could be awesome.

What is the preferred stand for these guys to look like they're flying? Was going to just do the coat hanger thing, but could conceivably bother with the clear stands if they're not overpriced and are actually pretty sturdy and won't wobble.

Usually people recommend the Stage 4 stands for them. The Stage 5 stands work better for the larger characters though ( Only really Broly right now ). They have screws in them to tighten to make sure they hold them in whatever pose you desire too.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Didn't Android 18 show up at B&N recently? Like within the last year?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Rage posted:

Didn't Android 18 show up at B&N recently? Like within the last year?

Think it was 16 and 17, as they are still sane pricing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Only worth a purchase if it comes with "KISS MY rear end!" accessories.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Hmm, I wonder accessories he could come with??

Unfortunately, I don't see enough joints to do a proper gorilla walk.

TaurusOxford posted:

Only worth a purchase if it comes with "KISS MY rear end!" accessories.

An optional lower torso so that any toy of your choice can be forced to join the Kiss My rear end club!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anyone know when the hell that Marvel Legends Spider-Man series they showed at SDCC this year is coming out? Really want that black suit Spidey and it seems like after that showing they just fell off the radar and no one is talking about them and there's no further info. Was already disappointed at how lame the Noir figure was, but that black suit seems like it may be the new best version of it.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

January.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Got a Stage 4 pack off Amazon, thanks for the tip. Pretty cool that you get three stands and each one can mount a couple figures, now I just need more villains for my Z fighters to face. Really tempted to grab a cheap Datong Frieza because the videos make it honestly look not bad... someone above mentioning that they might reissue him, any precedent for that?

Any other goons tried Datong versions? I figure if they do a reissue or a Premium Color version (what would they even change?) they'll remove the rocky base and all the beam effects, but hopefully they don't remove any hands or any of the non-pegged feet or faces.

Maybe I can get MY GIRLFRIEND to get me 17 and 18 or Krillin for Xmas...

Also I dug out my old figures and Link is now sword fighting with Kain with the Soul Reaver. :rock:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 28, 2016

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Got a Stage 4 pack off Amazon, thanks for the tip. Pretty cool that you get three stands and each one can mount a couple figures, now I just need more villains for my Z fighters to face. Really tempted to grab a cheap Datong Frieza because the videos make it honestly look not bad... someone above mentioning that they might reissue him, any precedent for that?

Any other goons tried Datong versions? I figure if they do a reissue or a Premium Color version (what would they even change?) they'll remove the rocky base and all the beam effects, but hopefully they don't remove any hands or any of the non-pegged feet or faces.

Maybe I can get MY GIRLFRIEND to get me 17 and 18 or Krillin for Xmas...

Also I dug out my old figures and Link is now sword fighting with Kain with the Soul Reaver. :rock:

I have the Datong Frieza and it is excellent. My only complaint is one of the pairs of hands came with two left hands. Otherwise you can't even tell the difference. Definitely recommend.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dr. Platypus posted:

I have the Datong Frieza and it is excellent. My only complaint is one of the pairs of hands came with two left hands. Otherwise you can't even tell the difference. Definitely recommend.

Sweet! Good to know.

Got a bunch of new figures yesterday and those Stage 4 stands... great call on them, plus bonus that Ultimate Gohan came with one:

(This thread needs way more pics of people's displays)

I call it, "Vegeta's Wet Dream." :ssj:

Also pictured: At the bottom I'm holding one of three clamps that came with the Stage 4s... what the hell are they even for? They're too small to hold up figures, even by a limb (maybe a forearm, I suppose) and they would make blast effect props and such look like poo poo. What gives?

Really wish they had just given six of the other clamps, those things are perfect. Thankfully I have clear twist-ties I can use to supplement since I have an extra base and all those straight posts with the random hole in the top that I'm unsure of the purpose of, other than it pegs into the articulated arms but then is way too heavy and unstable to even be usable... it's times like this I wish I could read and understand Japanese.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Piccolo and Blondie Mcsameface over there are just going to sit the fight out?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Piccolo and Blondie Mcsameface over there are just going to sit the fight out?

Vegeta don't give a poo poo about no dumb Nameks or little kids. Plus he's already punching one Gohan in the FACE.

But actually I'm gonna have those two fighting my Premium Color Perfect Cell when he arrives. Then again at that point I'll have Super Vegeta so the SSGSS (:laffo:) Vegeta will probably get moved to the other side of the desk by himself and I'll have blondie Vegeta and Goku beating the poo poo out of each other, with Piccolo and Ultimate Gohan sparring and then Teen Gohan kicking Cell's rear end or something, gently caress if I know, I doubt this current setup will last more than a week before I gently caress around with it more.

In other news, don't order from AKTProducts via Amazon... I ordered a Premium Color Trunks and they sent me the new Saiyan Armor Trunks instead, which is a $15 price difference. Thankfully Amazon is good on returns, but yeah, annoying.

EDIT: Also, anyone else that was thinking about getting Ultimate Gohan and Awakened Goku to do some headswapping with a better color outfit than the regular :ssj: Goku (and not shelling out the cash for SDCC stuff), bear in mind that the peg for the Awakened Goku is actually smaller on the top than the Gohan one, so it's a really snug fit and might "stretch out" the hole so it won't fit on the Awakened body anymore. If you pull the entire peg out of the neck, slot it in, and then swap that entire thing around, the pegs fit perfectly fine, so remember to do that. Also, neither Awakened Goku or Ultimate Gohan comes with the two finger teleport right hand, if that's a thing you care about, but Gohan has pretty cool judo chopping hands for both arms.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 31, 2016

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Also pictured: At the bottom I'm holding one of three clamps that came with the Stage 4s... what the hell are they even for? They're too small to hold up figures, even by a limb (maybe a forearm, I suppose) and they would make blast effect props and such look like poo poo. What gives?

Really wish they had just given six of the other clamps, those things are perfect. Thankfully I have clear twist-ties I can use to supplement since I have an extra base and all those straight posts with the random hole in the top that I'm unsure of the purpose of, other than it pegs into the articulated arms but then is way too heavy and unstable to even be usable... it's times like this I wish I could read and understand Japanese.

The clamps are for figures, yes. They work good for lighter figures or odd shaped things. Last time I used them, I used two arms to hold up a plane transformer. Also there should be a version of the other hands that clip onto the straight posts, in case you just wanted someone standing on the ground.

And don't forget you can tighten up the joints with a screwdriver to make them more stable.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I want some of those clamps and bases for my mediocre DC Direct collection. Are they sold separately anywhere?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fuzz posted:

EDIT: Also, anyone else that was thinking about getting Ultimate Gohan and Awakened Goku to do some headswapping with a better color outfit than the regular :ssj: Goku (and not shelling out the cash for SDCC stuff), bear in mind that the peg for the Awakened Goku is actually smaller on the top than the Gohan one, so it's a really snug fit and might "stretch out" the hole so it won't fit on the Awakened body anymore. If you pull the entire peg out of the neck, slot it in, and then swap that entire thing around, the pegs fit perfectly fine, so remember to do that. Also, neither Awakened Goku or Ultimate Gohan comes with the two finger teleport right hand, if that's a thing you care about, but Gohan has pretty cool judo chopping hands for both arms.

Why didn't you just get the base Goku they released with the orange gi instead of Ultimate Gohan?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Grem posted:

I want some of those clamps and bases for my mediocre DC Direct collection. Are they sold separately anywhere?

Yeah. Pretty much every store that sells Figuarts. Just search for Tamashii Stage. http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/search.aspx?search=Tamashii%20stage

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

Why didn't you just get the base Goku they released with the orange gi instead of Ultimate Gohan?

The only version that's easily obtainable now is the yellower gi with the terribly painted hair and orange Trump skin. The darker gi runs for over $100 and yeah... I like action figures, but I'm not spending over $100 on one, at least not a regular 6" one. Those PAK figures are barely worth it at around $100, and they come with a billion accessories and are huge.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/search.aspx?search=figuarts%20goku
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=figuarts%20goku&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man I haven't spent less than $100 on anything lately.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Huh. I figured that regular ol' Goku wouldn't be a limited release type of deal. That's pretty crazy.

Now give me my drat Super version of Goku with the right kanji and a regular, SSJ, and SSJBlue head!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I would like to know if with all these stands and advanced articulation if it's possible to recreate the Piccolo loving Goku in the rear end gif

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Bad movie, great figure

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Been a while since I asked, but anyone got Dormammu's right arm from the Comic Dr Strange figure?

[edit]

If anyone needs Scarlet Witch from the most recent Captain America wave, Amazon has pre-orders up for their reshipment for $19.

https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-6-Inch-Legends-Scarlet-Witch/dp/B01ALQQODY/

Rirse fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 1, 2016

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
THE BOYS, THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So which are the current preferred 6" Deadpool and Wolverine figures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Fuzz posted:

So which are the current preferred 6" Deadpool and Wolverine figures?

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-081916a.htm
Juggernaut BAF Wave has pretty amazing versions of both of them, and luckily both of them are currently in stores.

Wolverine is pretty affordable - https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Inch-Legends-Wolverine-Figure/dp/B01BY1JOG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478137503&sr=8-2&keywords=deadpool+legends
Deadpool may be a bit harder to find, but not impossible.

I have both of these and I have both the old Toybiz Series 6 versions of them too, and overall I prefer the new figures.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 3, 2016