Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

i will loving cut u over sports games ports. 1v1 me irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Chances that fallout 4 come to it? We've got Skyrim coming so... pretty please?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

My hope is not for AAA ports, but for original versions and games.

Like, the same game would come out for N64 and GBC, but the GBC game was of course a completely diferent game with the same premise and title.

Not realistic since though since development costs more than it used to.

Pretty much not going to happen, yeah. It's not just development costs that would make people shy about committing resources to the Switch on top of whatever else they're doing, either. Nintendo's coming off of the Wii U having done worse than anyone honestly could have anticipated. The Switch itself is again a console that's doing its own thing, will suffer from some sort of power disparity, and is again being marketed around a gimmick.

It's a new console that is appearing in the middle of a console generation that is doing WAY better than all the pessimism in Games or from bloggers would suggest. The PS4 and even the XBox One are established consoles that developers are comfortable working with. We will probably see a lot of ports of AAA games of some kind out of necessity, since developers will want to have their foot in the door at launch AND probably do not possess the resources or the number of people needed to focus on an entirely new platform with new capabilities and limitations.

It's fine that the Switch might end up being another Nintendo console I really only own to play Nintendo games on, but after the Wii U I am less willing to believe in the idea of third parties are going to do something special to support the Switch.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Chances that fallout 4 come to it? We've got Skyrim coming so... pretty please?

nintendo needs to get away from letting every piece of shovelware come out on their systems. really dilutes the brand

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Nintendo has signed up a shitton of people to develop for this thing, and unlike the PS4/Bone it's portable, which is a Really Good Gimmick. I think the Switch will be a cool system with a healthy third party library, and the portability will appeal to certain kinds of even Madden and FIFA fans even if the AUTHENTIC EXPERIENCE is on ps4/xb and those remain the most popular platform for them, but of course the exclusives are going to be what makes the thing worth owning in the first place over an Nvidia Shield.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
EA should take one of their late 360 Madden or NCAA games, rip out the licensed content, and plug in characters from their vast array of owned IP.

Let you have Faith as an RB doing parkour over some Krogan linebackers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want full series collections on the Switch. Like the Metal Gear Solid collection for the PS3. Way too many 3DS games are part of series that you need to own a PSP and a Japanese DS to be able to play all of.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

greatn posted:

EA should take one of their late 360 Madden or NCAA games, rip out the licensed content, and plug in characters from their vast array of owned IP.

Let you have Faith as an RB doing parkour over some Krogan linebackers.

Unironically good idea. Do it like NBA Street.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

TheScott2K posted:

Unironically good idea. Do it like NBA Street.

I miss NBA Street so hard.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Seriously! What happened to the "arcade sports" genre with NBA Jam and Street, NFL Blitz, etc

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EA put out an NBA Jam redux that was alright a few years ago. I think the licenses just got too expensive. A made-up-league arcade sports title would still be cool, though. Bring back Arch Rivals.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TheScott2K posted:

EA put out an NBA Jam redux that was alright a few years ago. I think the licenses just got too expensive. A made-up-league arcade sports title would still be cool, though. Bring back Arch Rivals.

You mean Mutant League, right?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What was the rationale for so many different versions back in the day? Like were the snes and Genesis so different it would have been the same amount of work to port Jurassic park or Aladdin as it was to make a completely separate game

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The Walrus posted:

What was the rationale for so many different versions back in the day? Like were the snes and Genesis so different it would have been the same amount of work to port Jurassic park or Aladdin as it was to make a completely separate game

Radically different hardware?
Too tight hardware specifications?
Nowadays we have DirectX (and several copycat APIs) and OpenGL, and the hardware is powerful enough to gobble up any abstraction layer you throw at it...

Edit: don't forget that hardware during the Snes/Genesis years basically dictated many things like some kind of special effects, which were the basis and constraint of the available kind of gameplay, being available or not. E.g.: Mode 7 which was the base for all the mode 7 racing games on SNES, or Hardware Sprite Scaling which made possible games like Space Harrier on Genesis.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 31, 2016

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I've got two words for you: Mutant League Hockey

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Walrus posted:

Yes.
Also there were probably licensing issues, and logistical issues.

Think about the difference between the sound chips alone. SNES and Genesis had completely different sampling libraries. Additionally, it's not like now where all graphical programming is standardized to like OpenGL or DirectX. Genesis and SNES both had different ways of handling, on a fundamental level, things like "color palette" and "moving a sprite around" and probably even stuff like scrolling. SNES had all kinds of weird powers that you could just invoke as like basic GPU commands, like Mode 7 and that thing from Castlevania IV where the background can rotate freely and still keep its collision maps.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i love the story about the saturn where everyone thinks it can't do transparencies since so many games just have ugly meshes instead but its just that the saturn's dual graphics chip design was so different that ports were not able to get the same effects as on ps1 without totally rewriting the game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Walrus posted:

In Aladdin's case that was just two different companies making two different games. Capcom for SNES and Virgin Interactive for Genesis.

I believe that was the case for lots of licensed titles, companies would sell licenses to different game makers on different consoles.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Reiley posted:

I'll probably be skewered for this, but as someone who owns a full physical copy of that game I have to say that the actual hockey game mechanics aren't very good. Granted, that's not why people are there.

Something like NHL '94 and '98 from the Genesis, the two best in the series in my opinion, still play solid hockey to this day.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i love the story about the saturn where everyone thinks it can't do transparencies since so many games just have ugly meshes instead but its just that the saturn's dual graphics chip design was so different that ports were not able to get the same effects as on ps1 without totally rewriting the game.

i would like to read more about the saturn because it sounds like a hilarious nightmare to develop for

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

wicka posted:

i would like to read more about the saturn because it sounds like a hilarious nightmare to develop for

Sega (of Japan) has earned their failures.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Reiley posted:

I've got one word for you: gently caress Yes

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I'll probably be skewered for this, but as someone who owns a full physical copy of that game I have to say that the actual hockey game mechanics aren't very good. Granted, that's not why people are there.

Something like NHL '94 and '98 from the Genesis, the two best in the series in my opinion, still play solid hockey to this day.

Isn't Mutant League Football basically reskinned Madden, and Hockey reskinned NHL?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Imagined posted:

Isn't Mutant League Football basically reskinned Madden, and Hockey reskinned NHL?

This whole discussion started with the idea of reskinning last-gen EA Sports games with other EA characters to save money on licensing, so that's fine.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Not arguing with that. I can't stand sports sims, but I love arcade sports games. It just seems logical to me that you would use the medium of video games to do crazy poo poo you could never do in real sports. I also don't understand the appeal of racing games where you have to be careful not to hit things and actually use the brakes.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Imagined posted:

Not arguing with that. I can't stand sports sims, but I love arcade sports games. It just seems logical to me that you would use the medium of video games to do crazy poo poo you could never do in real sports. I also don't understand the appeal of racing games where you have to be careful not to hit things and actually use the brakes.

pretending to enjoy gran tourismo is one of the three pillars of the Playstation Lifestyle

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Imagined posted:

Because managing the throttle and the grip of the tires and the limits of the track is more fun than just holding down a button and moving the stick back and forth sometimes?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wicka posted:

use this guy's subtitles or it makes no sense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OchOV_WDg

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Super No Vacancy posted:

i've had that will smith song in my head since someone posted it, and i didn't even listen to it

welcum 2 miami bienvenidos a miami

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Because managing the throttle and the grip of the tires and the limits of the track is more fun than just holding down a button and moving the stick back and forth sometimes?

You're describing a world where Forza is more fun than Mario Kart, and that's a world I don't want to live in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Imagined posted:

You're describing a world where Forza is more fun than Mario Kart, and that's a world I don't want to live in.

I've spent over 2000 dollars on just hardware for sim racing, so.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Imagined posted:

It's okay to Try at a game, and sometimes Win through your efforts and not merely by the will of your session's collective blundering. It doesn't make you a bad person, or a lowlife, to want to learn how to brake and drift and follow your line, in fact these are all core elements of the Mario Kart playstyle. I just talked to Reggie Fils-Amie about it, and he gave the go-ahead to send you this post. Nintendo will support you if you want to put some effort into your gaming.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Will Mario Kart 9 let me adjust spring rates and and caster angle?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Forza and Mario Kart are completely comparable games and this is a wonderful derail I've started and immediately regretted.

Good lord I wish we had even the tiniest scrap of actual news to talk about.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiley posted:

It's okay to Try at a game, and sometimes Win through your efforts and not merely by the will of your session's collective blundering. It doesn't make you a bad person, or a lowlife, to want to learn how to brake and drift and follow your line, in fact these are all core elements of the Mario Kart playstyle. I just talked to Reggie Fils-Amie about it, and he gave the go-ahead to send you this post. Nintendo will support you if you want to put some effort into your gaming.

I want to press the gas like a mindless blumbleblorb and scoff at the idiots that want to Test their Wits and Reflexes.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Imagined posted:

Forza and Mario Kart are completely comparable games and this is a wonderful derail I've started and immediately regretted.

Good lord I wish we had even the tiniest scrap of actual news to talk about.

The Nintendo switch has a new mario 64 coming out :eyepop:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Imagined posted:

I honestly thought that Mutant League Hockey was built off of the NHL 94 engine, but having played both quite a bit they don't feel at all the same in terms of controls and physics. It may still be that they are built on the same foundation, but NHL 94 is a much better 16-bit simulation of hockey. Mutant League has... other charms.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Being portable could be a big boon to the big video game sports franchises I think.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Imagined posted:

I like arcade and sim sports and racing games :shobon:

But I think the difference between sim sports and racing is that as long as you have a court/field and ball you can play the same thing in real life. Not as well and not with your favorite pro team but ultimately it's the same thing. With racing you can do it in real life too, but the barriers to entry are much higher. Race tracks aren't everywhere, the nice cars in the games aren't cheap, maintaining everything is expensive, etc. Well there's street racing but that's illegal, more dangerous, and generally an assy thing to do.

Bongo Bill posted:

Being portable could be a big boon to the big video game sports franchises I think.
:yeah: I want to play Madden while taking a poo poo.

The portable gimmick is nice for anything, and the main reason to get a Switch version of something over another console. If they made another regular power competitive console there'd be no reason to get Switch ports over the others. Portability isn't for everyone, but it's a simple tangible benefit that the others don't have*. There's the power tradeoff of course, but I could see it being "good enough".

*barring remote play stuff, but I don't know of people outside of gaming forums that knows about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I would love to see Nintendo capitalize on 8-bit and 16-bit nostalgia more by making some new games in the old school style with the sort of polish that no Steam indie dev cranking out pixelart platformers where a sad child moves to the right could match.

Speaking of capitalizing on nostalgia, what are the chances of someone getting a NES Classic at MSRP before Xmas?

• Locked thread