Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

FTFY. Tabs exist for a reason, and it applies just as well to code as documents. Computer sees one indent, the user sees however large of indentation as they want, everyone's happy. Someone who prefers two space indents and someone who prefers eight space indents can both have what they want without any risk of conflicts.

Someone should clue puppetlabs in then because their linter goes full on gordon ramsey if it finds tabs in a manifest. It's super fussy about lining up key=>value pairs too and if you press tab to line them up it will toss warnings.

And it's loving ruined me, I used to be super friendly about tabs but now that 75% of my work week is banging on puppet files spaces are the new norm and I've slowly converted everything to spaces just so I don't have to switch modes every time I do something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

Someone should clue puppetlabs in then because their linter goes full on gordon ramsey if it finds tabs in a manifest. It's super fussy about lining up key=>value pairs too and if you press tab to line them up it will toss warnings.

And it's loving ruined me, I used to be super friendly about tabs but now that 75% of my work week is banging on puppet files spaces are the new norm and I've slowly converted everything to spaces just so I don't have to switch modes every time I do something different.
Tell your IDE to convert tabs to spaces?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

I'm a bit late for printer chat, but in the past 365 days we've printed 307,000 pages. Count for the top 4 users: 33,000, 29,000, 23,000, and 10,000. The top faculty member routinely prints 50-100 copies of webpages to hand out to his classes. I suggested that in addition to the stern talk they're going to get from management, we give the top few offenders a potted seedling for each tree worth of paper they used this year.

Fffffuuuck. I just went to the big MFP and brought up the pagecount. 232,248...

of *color*.

3,255,744 black and white.

No loving way that's year-to-date, that's gotta be from initial install a few years back, right?

Right?

:ohdear:

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

I still don't know how the hell puppet-lint wants me to line up nested objects on new lines.
code:
thing {'a':
  ensure => present,
  other  => [ foo, bar,
              [ baz1 => 'blort1',
                baz2 => 'blort2', ] ],
}
thing {'b':
  ensure => present,
  other  => [ foo, bar,
    [ baz1 => 'blort1',
      baz2 => 'blort2', ] ],
}
According to the linter, both of these are wrong, but the suggested fix is to move them further left?

Also, the linter can disable checks you don't care about. For instance, we almost never care about class documentation and nobody here admins our systems from an 80-column terminal, so we have --no-documentation-check --no-80chars-check specified.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I posted this pretty much right after watching that scene.

I definitely can see a lot of myself in that character, both good and bad.

xzzy posted:

One of the roles of a linter is to enforce a style, and Puppet's style guide calls for two-space indentation.

Even though I'm a tab guy I'm OK with this, as long as they mandate a specific number of spaces so rather than having the fight between the person who likes two and the person who likes eight there's a "correct" answer as far as the community is concerned.

anthonypants posted:

Tell your IDE to convert tabs to spaces?

IIRC this is why Guido chose to recommend spaces in PEP8, he prefers tabs himself but there are enough people out there using editors that mangle tabs in to spaces where almost nothing does the opposite that it was just easier to give in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Storysmith posted:

I still don't know how the hell puppet-lint wants me to line up nested objects on new lines.

According to the linter, both of these are wrong, but the suggested fix is to move them further left?

It wants the '=>'s lined up all the way down, so you need to indent the ensure/other to match up with the baz's.

Which doesn't really make sense to me, but that's why lint has mechanisms to permit exceptions because it's never going to be perfect.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

It wants the '=>'s lined up all the way down, so you need to indent the ensure/other to match up with the baz's.

Which doesn't really make sense to me, but that's why lint has mechanisms to permit exceptions because it's never going to be perfect.

That... I'm not going to say "that makes sense," but that at least explains what it wants to see in a way I understand.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Unless you are coding up a makefile, set tabs to 4 spaces. :colbert:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Not that this pisses me off persay, but, today, feeling like a team traitor for suggesting that another team's suggestion isn't really all that bad of an idea, even if it means more work for us occasionally.

We're all so drat busy that suggestions that equal work for someone who doesn't see the direct value, or benefit from it, are challenged or flat out ignored with resentment if pushed through.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Unless you are coding up a makefile, set tabs to 4 spaces. :colbert:

Quoting for truth.

I get some python scripts from my minion at times, and his poo poo is set to TWO loving SPACES.

"it makes it easier to read"

Not only is that OBJECTIVELY not true. It also makes PyCharm go into PEP8 conniptions.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

flosofl posted:

Quoting for truth.

I get some python scripts from my minion at times, and his poo poo is set to TWO loving SPACES.

Not only is that OBJECTIVELY not true. It also makes PyCharm go into PEP8 conniptions.

Lmbo I would send that code right the gently caress back and make him manually hit two more spaces on every single line by hand. gently caress that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Lmbo I would send that code right the gently caress back and make him manually hit two more spaces on every single line by hand. gently caress that.

Nah, vim's shift/ctrl-v mode makes it easy these days. They'd be done in a couple minutes.

Unless you sat over their shoulder and watched them fix it, in which case you got problems.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

spog posted:

If you create an indent in a Word template by pressing the space bar a lot, then you are Goring.

My mom used to doublespace (in the pre-WYSIWYG days of Wordperfect 5.1 for DOS) by going to the end of the line and hitting enter twice.

Does that make her Hirohito?

mewse
May 2, 2006

flosofl posted:

Quoting for truth.

Please don't call your subordinate a minion, it triggers me

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mewse posted:

Please don't call your subordinate a minion, it triggers me

Eh, it's a joke at the office. It's a guy I'm mentoring, who's actually a really good and smart dude IF HE WOULD ONLY USE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF SPACES INDENTING HIS PYTHON CODE.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
This could be long, but I need to rant.

So last week one of our RHEL DNS servers stopped working for some reason, this server resolved our internal .com addresses, and was the forwarder that would resolve requests from the domain controllers that run our .local domain. This server is in one of our DMZs and is also used by all our servers and software that run in other DMZs, and handles stuff like our ipads.
On Thursday, it just poo poo the bed and decided to stop handling requests, nslookups against it would time out, it couldn't resolve anything on itself.

I ssh'd in and tried to restart named, it would sometimes stop the service, but couldn't restart it. Or it couldn't stop it. I could kill the process, but it couldn't restart it. I'd use what little errors it gave me to try and see whats going on, but I couldn't get anything useful. Also, due to our firewall rules, we couldn't talk directly to our external server to even get internet working, at least until that department opened that up. Also for some reason that server had issues that night too, not sure why, but it eventually came back.

After a couple of hours, I decide to just say gently caress it, and restart the server. At this point, its 6, and we've had the problem for 3 hours. Just about everyone starts to leave, but I stick around to keep an eye on things. 20 minutes later, it drops again. I try to bounce services, no luck. After a bit, another reboot, but this I walk into the server room to see if anything comes up weird. It starts fine, but now named is loving unhappy. I fight with it for 5 more hours, get external resolution working, but I need more people in to get internal going. Next morning, we get our .com zone added to the AD dns servers, and people are able to get stuff going.

A bit later, I talk to a vendor we deal with that does support, and they find a linux guy on staff that can help me look. I share my machine on gotomeeting, and he pokes around for awhile. Even he sounds pretty stumped. He gets an idea to just run named, instead of using it as a service. It starts up and goes like a champ. We stop it, try the service, nothing. He is out of ideas, but at least we can start it up and get things working.
We go to open a support ticket with Redhat since we have a support contract and find some fun things. For starters, only people listed on the contract is two managers in another department, and these servers aren't covered by it. We pay for support on a handful of severs, but apparently not our most important ones. Thanks people who set these up!

After the fire is out, we have a meeting to discuss this, and to go over what went wrong, how we can prevent it in the future and so on. I bring up the fact that no one in department, or in IT at all is a linux admin, or has any real experience with them. I can muddle around in them, start/stop things and can use google, but I don't have a lot of the indepth knowledge we need. I mention that the only people who had that knowledge left, and there was mention that we need to get people with their knowledge to replace them. That hasn't happened. Or probably ever will. I think some managers know we need more help on things, but like to pretend its all fine.

I talk a little with my boss later and say that training would be a good thing, but our real problem is we simply don't have the people to handle all the things we cover to a level we need. Our department is mainly networking, and is 3 people covering 140ish sites, with 140+ firewalls, 200+ switches, core switching at our datacenters, Aruba wireless management, video conference support and install, UPS management, cabling, some customer facing servers handling secure file transfers and secure email, plus we do tickets. I'm probably forgetting something. We simply don't have time to get indepth on anything, because at any point we'll get pulled off it and onto something else. We don't have time for training, not that its offered anyway. Unless we want to sit in on a webinar.

I'm getting burned out and I've lost a lot of motivation for this place. We had a terrible manager for the last 2 years that sucked any enjoyment of this job out of it, and while he's gone, he left a mark. His replacement is trying, but I don't think he has what it takes. Someone on here once mentioned that they knew they needed to leave their job when on their way to work they saw a car accident and thought something like "I wish that was me so I didn't have to go to work." I sometimes wonder if I'm getting close to that.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

New boss means a re-org right? Right! Meet my new team name since they decided to split the team into a less flat management structure that came out on the companywide e-mail about what our new section supports since they split the group...

Tools/Services Supported by DevOps Operations

Why yes, I do think it is time to look for a new job. Why do you ask?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Look operations operations are the top top of the industry.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Virigoth posted:

New boss means a re-org right? Right! Meet my new team name since they decided to split the team into a less flat management structure that came out on the companywide e-mail about what our new section supports since they split the group...

The only way that name could be any better is if it was: DevOps Operations Developers

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Virigoth posted:

Are you a Tool or a Service?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or do you service tools?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Thanks Ants posted:

Or do you service tools?

Isn't that the job of personal assistants?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Virigoth posted:

So you're supporting Management and the Janitorial staff?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

flosofl posted:

The only way that name could be any better is if it was: DevOps Operations Developers

That'll probably be my new title.

spog posted:

Are you a Tool or a Service?

Tool

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So you're supporting Management and the Janitorial staff?

Yes, if developers = janitorial staff.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Fffffuuuck. I just went to the big MFP and brought up the pagecount. 232,248...

of *color*.

3,255,744 black and white.

No loving way that's year-to-date, that's gotta be from initial install a few years back, right?

Right?

:ohdear:

Depends on how often you reset the counter. If no one does it, it's from install date. I prefer to track page count in the ticketing system and leave the page count since install date, but every company is different. Resetting on a set date you are going to miss a printer or two, especially if you decide January 2nd while hungover.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flosofl posted:

Eh, it's a joke at the office. It's a guy I'm mentoring, who's actually a really good and smart dude IF HE WOULD ONLY USE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF SPACES INDENTING HIS PYTHON CODE.

Triggerd. Whoever thought that whitespace should matter in a programming language was high on something not good.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

OWLS! posted:

Triggerd. Whoever thought that whitespace should matter in a programming language was high on something not good.

Python is a language designed by someone who has never had to manage a code base shared by others.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Embarrassing me today:

A client emailed about a weird, sort of urgent production issue. They read our documentation (WOW) and actually found the problem.

I read the email, and thought, surely that's not it, let me do some longer analysis. After an hour, yep, the client was 100% correct.

We did a conference call with the client and their tech managers, since it was a big issue, and I told them what I found, and how to fix it. They started to get a little salty, but the I said "listen, John, next time you do my job and find the exact problem, please email me directly so I'm not embarrassed in front of my boss again." We all had a good laugh, and they forgot to keep pushing about why we didn't find it earlier.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

pixaal posted:

Depends on how often you reset the counter. If no one does it, it's from install date. I prefer to track page count in the ticketing system and leave the page count since install date, but every company is different. Resetting on a set date you are going to miss a printer or two, especially if you decide January 2nd while hungover.

I hope it was never reset because that's 31 reams of paper per day assuming 210 working days to date.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
loving predecessor thought he could scam Verizon out of 8 tablets that were free with activation by paying month 1 and cancelling.

He left and now I've got a bill for $1000 to apply against a budget he already thoroughly hosed dry.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Judge Schnoopy posted:

loving predecessor thought he could scam Verizon out of 8 tablets that were free with activation by paying month 1 and cancelling.

He left and now I've got a bill for $1000 to apply against a budget he already thoroughly hosed dry.

Wow.

Anecdote:

My boss as $AWFUL_JOB used to have some developers in Argentina. I guess he paid them with travelers cheques because sometimes if he was busy I'd have to go to American Express and get like $10k in them. He told me that he did this because he'd get points for the purchases and it was like a mindblowing amount of points, problem was that I talked to American Express and they assured me you don't get points for purchasing them, because if you did, people would spend $10k every day on them and just pay the bill for infinite points.

He assured me it was not right, but he never did get around to showing me the statement.

Also I'm pretty sure I was helping him launder money to South America.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I found out yesterday that our helpdesk email is in the all users distribution list.

At least the list has a sane approved sender list, so I didn't get any crazy ticket spam. But having to mute and close tickets every time someone makes a company wide announcement is a little annoying.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

flosofl posted:

Quoting for truth.

Blame Google.

quote:

(Fun fact: Google's internal style guideline dictates indenting by 2 spaces!)

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Have always had to get lovely consumer laptops on the retail market, because no one wanted to pay for proper business laptops.

Welp, one of the lovely Toshibas I bought a few months ago crapped out. Sent it back to Toshiba for warranty repair/replacement, they received it on 9/28... Current ETA on repair is mid-November. They are "waiting for a new motherboard to arrive from overseas" Meanwhile the person who had the laptop is using our ancient loaner laptop. They are not happy about it. Though the loaner laptop is actually of much better quality than the modern Toshiba.. Its a older HP Elitebook.

Maybe after this I can finally convince the higher ups to start buying decent laptops with warranty service that doesn't have a 2 month turnaround time.

Just another day in IT on a shoestring budget.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Spaces vs Tabs sent me into a whole world of triggered. I will simply say tabs exist for a reason and now to go refill my coffee because holy my brain is screaming.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
AT&T continues to impress - a ticket I opened October 21 still has no resolution. The tech I talked to was clueless and kept blowing me off when I asked to talk to someone else, so I hung up. Since then it's been escalated with no resolution up to level 6.

We have a SIP Trunk router which isn't communicating with the AT&T SBC at all. I just need to confirm what IPs I should be using, or if that device is offline or something. It's really not that complicated, not sure how this is taking over a week to resolve.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

OWLS! posted:

Triggered because I worked with Cobol in the 90s.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Spaces vs Tabs sent me into a whole world of triggered. I will simply say tabs exist for a reason and now to go refill my coffee because holy my brain is screaming.

Spaces are objectively correct solely because Visual Studio defaults to spaces, which means if you want anyone to be able to use tabs you have to spend forever loving with Visual Studio settings and git filters on a user-by-user basis to get things to merge properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

porktree posted:

Triggered because I worked with Cobol in the 90s.

I almost worked with entirely with COBOL after college in the late 2000s, good thing that fell through.