Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh i understand it, just because this is automotive insanity doesnt mean we should encourage this any further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm not sure. The parts we need all have to be shipped in, and since this a small town that takes time.

We're almost ready to get the engine mounted, we've got the bracket welded up, and we're planning a test fit. We can't however finish the shifter linkages. We need a ball with very odd thread count (13/16-14)

I've got one order, but even if we rushed everthing, we'd still be cutting it too close. I need to be back in FL by Sunday. Assuming we get it close to running, that's still a 1600 mile trip in a truck that can't go freeway speeds.

I mean, realistically we could get the engine bolted in, hooked up to the trasmission, and b in b a point where v all that's left is Lights, ECU wiring, brakes and tires.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm not sure. The parts we need all have to be shipped in, and since this a small town that takes time.

We're almost ready to get the engine mounted, we've got the bracket welded up, and we're planning a test fit. We can't however finish the shifter linkages. We need a ball with very odd thread count (13/16-14)

I've got one order, but even if we rushed everthing, we'd still be cutting it too close. I need to be back in FL by Sunday. Assuming we get it close to running, that's still a 1600 mile trip in a truck that can't go freeway speeds.

I mean, realistically we could get the engine bolted in, hooked up to the trasmission, and b in b a point where v all that's left is Lights, ECU wiring, brakes and tires.

You need to reach out to him, tell him there's no way to finish it in time and send him home. Make a plan with him for the next time you plan to work on the truck (hopefully in spring) and he can save for a bus ticket this time.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to make it out til spring.

I'm trying to get whoever has his contact info here to relay that yoo him. But I don't have any way to reach him now that his phone is gone.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

oh i understand it, just because this is automotive insanity doesnt mean we should encourage this any further

Your going to get some one killed or dead broke for a story on the internet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm struggling to understand how anyone in this thread thought that was a less likely scenario a week or a month ago, when the two car options were the (not running) ancient tiny Honda or the (not running) ancient lovely Causemero?

This was always going to be a mad drive to Nebraska across the northern US in late October in a piece of garbage car driven by a maniac. Were you guys confused about this?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

angryrobots posted:

Currently he wants to drive to Butte and evaluate whether the jeep can continue.

Butte isn't a great idea. Missoula is going to be a stretch. If hes' taking 90, it's got construction and issues- even if the truck survives.

ExplodingSims posted:

Even if possible to get anywhere, you really should have just trailered it closer to Billings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm trying to get whoever has his contact info here to relay that yoo him. But I don't have any way to reach him now that his phone is gone.

I didn't mean to sound like this is your fault or anything, but he will listen to you if you tell him you're not going to be there any longer.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm going to add in to the go home side here, he's had a go at three different cars now, none of them run reliably and is financially exhausted before leaving the state, this isn't going to end well if he pushes forward.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

His old number should work now.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I'm struggling to understand how anyone in this thread thought that was a less likely scenario a week or a month ago, when the two car options were the (not running) ancient tiny Honda or the (not running) ancient lovely Causemero?

This was always going to be a mad drive to Nebraska across the northern US in late October in a piece of garbage car driven by a maniac. Were you guys confused about this?

And? Seems like the very definition of AI to me.

14" was really looking forward to it. Madness incarnate. You don't tell that man no, you stoke that fire.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, but if he's already has this much trouble already, in a populated area, there's goinf to be a lot of trouble if he gets to the midwest. It's just plain empty around here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ExplodingSims posted:

what in the gently caress, 13/16-14, really? loving GM

I never expected a clutch fork pivot ball to be the serious gamestopper. Wish I'd realized it was missing from the bellhousing you bought... :sigh:

And yeah, Dave, I really don't think it's wise to push onward, unfortunately. If the drat thing isn't gonna make the trip to FL anyways, no real sense pushing hard and ending up broke, in Nebraska, with two vehicles that won't make it home instead of just one. Can always return home, attempt to mend fences with gremlin dude (especially seeing as the jeep has returned and is even working better now), and give it another shot when NE-FL truck pilgrimage part 2 goes down.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Quadrapellegiance posted:

And? Seems like the very definition of AI to me.

He's 300 miles from home with another 1200 to go. It's taken 3 days. Now, I'm all for an IRL Oregon Trail (albiet in reverse), but we don't need a Donner Party Redux.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well what do we do to get him funds. How does this WalMart thing work. Ive got $40 to contribute or if there is a trustworthy long timer in here I could PayPal it to if they were going to WalMart anyways. I am about to have 6 kids under age of 7 at my house for Halloween Party so I can't go to WalMart tonight. I asked 14 last night to send me info and I could have gone this morning but never heard back.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, why a bellhousing from the 60s has such a weird threading is beyond me.

But, this does give me a chance to plan some more and get things worked out a bit better. I really wish it worked out better than this though. :/

Also, to anyone who thinks he v should press on, bring up his route in Google. There are seriously like 100 mile gaps with nothing in them.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

He'll get the most out of it if there is someone we can trust to make the payment, and we can ePay/et al. angryrobots has offered to send some cash- I'm almost in the "Be Home or Get Egged" time, and USPS still hasn't picked up the SAMart goodies yet, today..

So, I guess we need to find out how much angryrobots is willing to front, unless IoC or someone else is willing to do so.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, why a bellhousing from the 60s has such a weird threading is beyond me.

But, this does give me a chance to plan some more and get things worked out a bit better. I really wish it worked out better than this though. :/

Also, to anyone who thinks he v should press on, bring up his route in Google. There are seriously like 100 mile gaps with nothing in them.

Yeah, there's nothing like diving in headfirst to find all the weird problems you didn't expect in the first place. Unknown unknowns are a bitch - we ran into this quite a bit on the XJ 4.0L/EFI/AX15/NP231/SYE/8.25 swap into Sandbagger's 80s automatic YJ. The number of times I went to the junkyard for one stupid loving part, or had him rockauto order a handful of random things, was amazing. You guys are making great time by comparison.

Once I'd done it once, IIRC we had Slow is Fast's dad's CJ5 started up running EFI after one weekend of wiring, after he ordered and junkyarded a bunch of random poo poo I told him to get and spent a weekend slamming the new motor in. Doing something like this once is difficult and has a steep learning curve because no one on car forums fully documents every single weird little year split and detail about every odd thing they had to deal with (because they forgot as soon as they got it working - been there done that), but doing it again is cake.

Don't beat yourself up too bad, I was really pretty surprised how smoothly everything was going till this point. How well next time goes (if you don't pull off a miracle...) is going to depend heavily on how well you took notes about everything that went wrong or seemed "odd"* as you were working on it this time.

* example: I got an NP231 transfer case from a friend for Sandbagger, it was from a 1994 4.0L ZJ. I said gently caress it, it's a 23 spline NP231, they are all the same, and installed the slip yoke eliminator kit, then tried to bolt it to the trans, except it bottomed out on the output shaft of the trans a quarter inch before the flanges met. Much parts catalog research and cursing later, I discovered that the tcase had come from behind a weird auto trans that was only used for a few years and had a specific input gear installed on it that, while 23 spline, had an odd pilot bushing pressed into the back to mate with the trans' output shaft pilot tip. Stupid. But I was stupid for assuming too much about my own knowledge, and it bit us hard. I ended up having to source a different transfer case, uninstall the SYE, reinstall it in the other transfer case, and then install that in the jeep. It cost me a wasted day in the shop and roughly a week on the project schedule as I recall. TL;DR: unknown unknowns will gently caress you hard especially if you assume you know all the details.

Either way, this is down to the wire and if you can't solve that clutch pivot ball problem for sure by Wednesday, I would recommend spending time on stuff you have to do either way, wrapping up loose ends, documenting everything obsessively for your future self's sanity, telling Dave to abort mission, and giving it another shot once you regroup.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

West SAAB Story posted:

He's 300 miles from home with another 1200 to go. It's taken 3 days. Now, I'm all for an IRL Oregon Trail (albiet in reverse), but we don't need a Donner Party Redux.

What is home, really? He's in civilization, there's work around. Maybe it's time for a fresh start.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Seminal Flu posted:

What is home, really? He's in civilization, there's work around. Maybe it's time for a fresh start.

I'd be all for him setting up in Spokane, myself. I don't think he'd be in good company bereft in Methville, Montana.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

West SAAB Story posted:

I'd be all for him setting up in Spokane, myself. I don't think he'd be in good company bereft in Methville, Montana.

For those who haven't lived in the NW Spokane / eastern Washington is full of meth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

For those who haven't lived in the NW Spokane / eastern Washington is full of meth.

So he'd be right at home.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

It can't be worse than Butte. I mean, it really can't be worse than Butte (and not be a larger crater).

Rhyno posted:

So he'd be right at home.

Dude.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not wrong!

This is why he needs to go back to Seattle.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

So long as it can be done online, I'll front whatever everybody's committed to in order to get 14 home safe. I am in meetings all afternoon but can do online money transfer / whatever if it doesn't require getting on a phone or physically going somewhere.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

This is why he needs to go back to Seattle.

I'm relatively sure he was willing to-and did- burn his bridges there just to leave. I think his path to the end is further downhill, so I don't disagree. I just don't think he has any intention of returning. If you've ever read "The Stand", welp..

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I grew up in Lewiston, 2 hours from Spokane. Spokane was where we hung out every weekend.

It's the meth capital of the PNW.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

West SAAB Story posted:

He'll get the most out of it if there is someone we can trust to make the payment, and we can ePay/et al. angryrobots has offered to send some cash- I'm almost in the "Be Home or Get Egged" time, and USPS still hasn't picked up the SAMart goodies yet, today..

So, I guess we need to find out how much angryrobots is willing to front, unless IoC or someone else is willing to do so.
I sent him $200 via w2w, still waiting to hear back that he picked it up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryrobots posted:

You got a paypal where we can send you money then?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
He says wipers fixed, mileage/fuel consumption, oil consumption potentially fixed.

On his way to pick up the money I think and then leaving Spokane towards Butte.

I've let him know there's a contingent that wants him to turn back.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

I'm in for $20 to reimburse this beautiful bastard for the Keep 14 Alive fund. PM me PayPal info, angryrobots?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

He says wipers fixed, mileage/fuel consumption, oil consumption potentially fixed.

On his way to pick up the money I think and then leaving Spokane towards Butte.

I've let him know there's a contingent that wants him to turn back.

Explain to him that ES is leaving and he'll be gone before 14" arrives.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I had a thought on that:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773374&pagenumber=21#post465946780

Edit:

Seminal Flu posted:

Is there a possibility of a plot twist, where 14 shows up after you've left to finish up and drive it home?

You've got the van there, so it qualifies as shelter. He can get that thing running, I have faith in that.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'll post PayPal up later, after confirmation he received the money.

Also if you need further proof that God is against this, i somehow managed to lose my new sun/z87 safety glasses between my car and the Wal-Mart customer service desk. :v:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

angryrobots posted:

Also if you need further proof that God is against this, i somehow managed to lose my new sun/z87 safety glasses between my car and the Wal-Mart customer service desk. :v:

You can't blame good taste on mythological things..

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

His care level remains minimal.

Sims: do you have his phone number? Should text him if so. If not, let me know where to send it to you.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

West SAAB Story posted:

You can't blame good taste on mythological things..

Eh? I have to wear safety glasses for work, so I found some decent ones. Anyway.

14 INCH JEEP posted:

There I fixed it

14 INCH JEEP posted:

today is charlies day. helter skelter, bitches

14 INCH JEEP posted:

spokane was dry until jeep work started. all this came down last night and stopped when i stopped

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

angryrobots posted:

Eh? I have to wear safety glasses for work, so I found some decent ones. Anyway.

I was attempting to imply sarcasm due to the rather dark turn the thread was taken, but I guess my markup didn't work. Having your eyes is pretty nice. I reserve the right to tease anyone who wears gloves to change oil, however.

Hope he's got the major stuff taken care of!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah if you want to email me his number:

Explodingsims2@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah if you want to email me his number:

It's done.

• Locked thread