Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sapozhnik posted:

behead those who quote stymie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

page 1000 snype.

edit: lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

page 1000 snype.

lomarf

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

akadajet posted:

page 1000 snype.

shame!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

I was using Windows Subsystem for Linux, Shaggar, and could not save the state of the job

oh well at least it wasn't anything all that important.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

I was doing some work on my desktop via Windows Remote Desktop and the connection dropped and Windows 10 decided that since nobody was using the computer, now would be a great time to reboot immediately and install updates, destroying my work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_w89m7PA7c

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
1 kilopage of microsoft active laughter dot net professional for workgroups with bing

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Satellit3 posted:

i dont like this stymie

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

1 kilopage of microsoft active laughter dot net professional for workgroups with bing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

akadajet posted:

page 1000 snype.

mods

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

1000 pages of pure ownage

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

no that occurs on page 1024

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

I was doing some work on my desktop via Windows Remote Desktop and the connection dropped and Windows 10 decided that since nobody was using the computer, now would be a great time to reboot immediately and install updates, destroying my work

"i or the IT deparment has been super lax about updates and didn't configure anything to account for that and windows finally went ' gently caress it'"

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
more like "windows 10 is new and nobody updated group policy with the new templates so all this poo poo is set to default"

burning swine
May 26, 2004

one trillion more pages

quote:

"juche?!" stymie stymies in the door and just keeps stymieing, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. he stymies against your toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's stymieing at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "i'm an secular statist, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

it would be nice if microsoft could update their OS without causing catastrophic data loss, but i guess a small company like that just doesn't have the resources or expertise to make it happen

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
your posts are right where you left them

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FMguru posted:

no that occurs on page 1024

that's a kibipage :smug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Spatial posted:

it would be nice if microsoft could update their OS without causing catastrophic data loss, but i guess a small company like that just doesn't have the resources or expertise to make it happen

last time i complained about this a million ~*veteran sysadmins*~ flew in to tell me i was using my computer wrong

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder what happened to her

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

last time i complained about this a million ~*veteran sysadmins*~ flew in to tell me i was using my computer wrong

sh/sc is a real weird place

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

sh/sc is a real weird place

that was this very thread, not sh/sc, lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

well, if you don't have wsus and/or GPOs set to prevent this, it's the default behaviour. it's not like that's news, w10 came out over a year ago, it hasn't changed and the behaviour was known during the public beta.

it's specifically to force people to do updates, because if you don't they leave poo poo unpatched indefinitely and then complain about how insecure windows is.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
It is still really dumb because even though Windows lets you specify a time window when updates are applied automatically, it has to be at least 12 hours long for some reason. So you can't just set it to happen at 4am only or whatever.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i haven't had a problem with windows 10's updates yet but lol i got to work one morning and my start menu and task bar wouldn't respond

when are they going to fix this amazing start menu that breaks from time to time?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mine hasn't broken since the full release. (i did have some issues with it in the beta, eighteen months ago). maybe you're using it wrong.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my taskbar used to break from time to time, but that hasn't happened in a month or two at least. current weird windows thing is my system clock slowing down while i play video games. im not kidding, it constantly lags behind while im in game, if i look at the taskbar onthe second monitor. goes back to normal the moment i tab out of game, or close it, though

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it happened to me like a month or so ago when i logged on to my work laptop with my admin account for the very first time. very cool.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my taskbar used to break from time to time, but that hasn't happened in a month or two at least. current weird windows thing is my system clock slowing down while i play video games. im not kidding, it constantly lags behind while im in game, if i look at the taskbar onthe second monitor. goes back to normal the moment i tab out of game, or close it, though
i actually had this happen and the problem went away when i was installing a new case fan & i reseated my graphics card in the process

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Phoenixan posted:

i haven't had a problem with windows 10's updates yet but lol i got to work one morning and my start menu and task bar wouldn't respond

when are they going to fix this amazing start menu that breaks from time to time?

i love that it's enough of a problem to create a FixIt repair script for but not enough of one to fix even on build 1607

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phoenixan posted:

i actually had this happen and the problem went away when i was installing a new case fan & i reseated my graphics card in the process
sounds like im deep poo poo then, laptop person over here

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

i love that it's enough of a problem to create a FixIt repair script for but not enough of one to fix even on build 1607

there's a huge delay between a developer making a code change and when it actually even gets into an internal Windows build, much less a public build

like, months

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

the fixit script has been around for at least half a year, and there have been multiple builds since then

they should be loving over the early access ring with it, that's what they're for these days

edit: 4+ months

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 1, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i would quite like to float to work i think it would be fun and efficient and also maybe you could bypass congestion by floating over it :tipshat:

I would commute to work by floating if it were floating down a river in inner tubes with a cooler full of beer

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
sometimes the address bar in explorer forgets that the current directory has subdirectories and the arrow on the right disappears.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
sometimes the taskbar clips outside the screen when you have multiple monitors

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i wonder what happened to her

she's done some bad movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFP6BK_rRH0

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FCKGW posted:

she's done some bad movies

and by some you mean one
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2326642/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
outlook.com sucks so bad i think it's a ploy to make you use desktop outlook
pressing enter double spaces instead of single spaces

let me repeat, they hosed up the ENTER key, it looks fine on your screen but the recipient will see everything double spaced

pressing ENTER adds a <p> instead of a <br> like you would expect, you can not fix this default behaviour
how do you insert a single space you may ask?
SHIFT-ENTER

people have been complaining about this for at least 3 years

• Locked thread