Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

William falls in love with Delores, she dies/gets reset and doesn't remember him, he can't get over the loss, starts a company named Delos after Delores (no re), buys/saves the park, becomes MiB, trying to figure out how to actualize Delores to restore her old personality he fell in love with.

I don't get why such theories are even considered if one actually watches the show and can see what the characters do and say. The MiB doesn't show real empathy towards the hosts and even tells us stories what he had done to them in the past, not to mention how he interacted with Dolores in the very first episode. Does any of that portray a relationship with her that goes beyond simple familarity?
That's what is so infuriating about the whole two time frame theory, it ignores the actual characters and the story that is told and is then replaced with random speculation and made up backstories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sardonik posted:

MiB Rapes Delores in the first episode

Don't we not see what he does with her in there? He is either dragging her in there to torture her to get maze information or just to give her the gun, I think.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Yellow Ant posted:

In a world where choosing between a white hat and a black hat is the first decision of consequence, Dolores is given a grey hat.

Yeah I noticed that too :) love it. (Was it grey or brown? Either way, it was intentionally ambiguous as to her role)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Don't we not see what he does with her in there? He is either dragging her in there to torture her to get maze information or just to give her the gun, I think.

Correct we did not actually see what went down inside the barn between MiB and Dolores.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I noticed that too :) love it. (Was it grey or brown? Either way, it was intentionally ambiguous as to her role)

Yup, like I said, they are loving with us. The audience that is.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Skizzzer posted:

Delos = Delores NO RES

No res can either be no resurrection or no reset.

Wouldn't it be Dolos then?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Delorean.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

No Pants posted:

De- low res.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you can't tell the difference, does it matter whether I'm real?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

I agree that's very silly, but then when are the Bernard/Dolores interviews taking place and why is she clothed in them unlike every other interview?

Oh poo poo, well now I've got a new (maybe old) theory that explains this better than the timeline theory.

"Where are you?"
"I'm in a dream."

We assume that's bullshit because in most cases it is bullshit. What makes the most sense is if in her case, it's not bullshit; those interviews really are a host version of a dream, left there by the creator.

Bicyclops posted:

Yep, I totally believe that from what I've seen of current MiB he'd not have time for that poo poo. He almost definitely scalped her, just like he almost definitely scalped the hooker in front of her child to get the child to give info (just like what happened before, and how he'd know it'd work).

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 31, 2016

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Was this the first episode Teddy didn't eat total poo poo in? Things are looking up for ol' Teddy!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Since that thing Ford said in this episode are we going to talk about the three timelines theory here or what?

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Still no evidence of two timelines.

Yes there is retard

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

No Pants posted:

Ah gently caress have I been misspelling her name the whole time?

Whatever, it doesn't disprove anything because you can't trust reality.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Yeah, it's Dolores.

Like, dolor. As in, sadness/sorrow/grief.

Seemingly she grieves a lot as a robot lady who has her family murdered on a fairly frequent basis.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
What if the black bartender robot was pouring wrong because his magnum dong was hanging weird? The extra weight was probably throwing his balance off. Maybe she just needed to rearrange that poo poo for him, get it hanging true north. Of course with her scrawny little arms she'd probably need to bring the Bagger 288 in to help her shift it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Abner Assington posted:

Yeah, it's Dolores.

Like, dolor. As in, sadness/sorrow/grief.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Grem posted:

Was this the first episode Teddy didn't eat total poo poo in? Things are looking up for ol' Teddy!

He nearly bled to death, and survived only because of a dirty bucket transfusion of Lawrence blood. I'm not sure that's 'up' exactly.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

He nearly bled to death, and survived only because of a dirty bucket transfusion of Lawrence blood. I'm not sure that's 'up' exactly.

well he did a kickass knifegrab and was restored to full HP after Ford cast Cure Light Wounds

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Since that thing Ford said in this episode are we going to talk about the three timelines theory here or what?

I am strongly in favor of this theory. Bernard is either a clone of Arnold or an robot version of Arnold, and the Bernard/Delores conversations are actually flashback Arnold/Delores conversations, which convinces him to try and turn hosts sentient and shut down the park.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The main thing that makes me think William isn't the man in black is that I don't buy that the robots would be the same 30 odd years later. There's absolutely no difference between Dolores with William and with the man in black, and we've also seen Lawrence and the two prostitutes interact with both William and the man in black. I don't think it makes sense that everything would be exactly the same 30 years later, given that they've made a point of showing us how much their robot tech improved and how often they discard robots or change their stories up. They even told us specifically that Dolores is the ONLY one still around from 34 years ago, so whatever we're seeing William do it definitely can't be the lead up to the Arnold incident. In William's story that has to have already happened.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
MiB states in this episode that when he first came to the park, the hosts were machinery inside. I thought that was interesting.

Maeve host's journey to realize what the hell is going on is a lot more interesting than Dolores

Ed Harris really is a joy to watch on screen

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
What kind of annoys me about the show, thinking about it, is the ambiguity created specifically by the editing. Or, perhaps what I mean is the potential I see for the editing to be "actively" misleading or unclear.

Namely,
  • The shots posted earlier where Dolores is alone then suddenly is not alone and back again, then back 'n forth. These are the ones making people suspect she's on two timelines or two searches for the maze, or whatever. Showing dreams/hallucinations that turn out in some way to be real isn't new, so suggesting that is even a possibility is just kind of ambiguous editing.

• Related to the above, the idea that her talks with Bernard are not "really" Bernard. If that's the case, that's editing throwing people for a loop.

• I'm on the fence about this, but the editing suggesting in smaller ways that things are not being presented in a linear sequence. This is no longer an "A" or "B" thing (i.e., either they're being presented linearly, or according to an obvious ruleset), but something that could be true in a bunch of minor ways (e.g., someone mentioned Hopkins' convo with Old Bill in ep 5 could have been the same one as ep 1), or it could be major, what with Dolores' sequences/chronology, or the ambiguity about how many times Maeve has been up for repairs over the course of the narrative that we specifically have been witness to (in other words, the extra drawings and a bunch of other things indicate this ain't her first time coming nearer the truth, but given her calm, cool reaction in ep 5, it seems odd that this is the Maeve who only one or two days ago was upstairs freaking the gently caress out... even though based on the discussions of the two techs, that's what's being suggested).

• This is on top of a show who's premise is "we can replicate robot people so any human could be a host," which is further on top of the premise "we don't show the outside world or show how the full logic of this world works" :iiam: My point here isn't that these things are bad. They're not. I like them. I eat that poo poo up. But they mean that ambiguity in the editing becomes... excessive.

All these by themselves are no biggie. But taken together, it means that any answers that are provided will be less satisfying (though I hope I'm wrong).

LinkesAuge posted:

I don't get why such theories are even considered if one actually watches the show and can see what the characters do and say. The MiB doesn't show real empathy towards the hosts and even tells us stories what he had done to them in the past, not to mention how he interacted with Dolores in the very first episode. Does any of that portray a relationship with her that goes beyond simple familarity?
That's what is so infuriating about the whole two time frame theory, it ignores the actual characters and the story that is told and is then replaced with random speculation and made up backstories.
Counterpoint: because it says something about what a hardened embittered rear end in a top hat he has become, after realizing or coming to the conclusion (whether correctly or not) that no, the hosts don't have sentience, despite his falling for one. Thus, he's willing to do anything -- be as cruel as hell -- to the hosts, and even to Dolores, because 1) they are not sentient, and/or 2) it just might be what drives the hosts towards sentience, which would actually be what he'd always wanted.

To be clear, I am... uh.. "against" the two timelines theory (like I guess it could be true, but I would be disappointed and my first reaction would be "ugh, really?"). I think it'd be stupidly convoluted to make work.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 1, 2016

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

LinkesAuge posted:

I think MiB actually does have a level of empathy, even respect, for the hosts.His interactions with them go a little bit beyond roleplaying a badass cowboy for his own amusement, or just shooting and raping for the hell of it. He even suggests a few times (talking to Lawrence in the stagecoach and Escaton in the jail cell) that he sees himself on a mission to save, or uplift the hosts somehow. He's just well aware of their expendable nature (because they come right back again with no memories) and is quite happy to do horrible things to them where it advances his motives. And I think his level of respect changes depending on how advanced he thinks a particular host is. He's super interested in Dolores, likes hanging out with Lawrence, was kind of starry-eyed over Armistice, thought Escaton was initially too focus-grouped but quickly came around to him, and thinks Teddy is a laughable simpleton.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yeah it's really clear that the show writers are intentionally doing this, viewers are not just theorizing wildly

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Maybe we're supposed to think it's two timelines and the twist will be that it's not.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gynecolojustice posted:

MiB states in this episode that when he first came to the park, the hosts were machinery inside. I thought that was interesting.

Well they showed it in the young Hopkins flashback.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

whalestory posted:

d e l o r e s

:negative:
No

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
William a MiB who cares?

Bernard a robot who cares?

How it make story better and not make feel like gimmicky twist that waste time?

~The True Biggest Mystery~

Bravo Nolan

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The twist to the Two Dolores theory is that there's a Dolores and a Delores.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
"I'd need a shovel"
:tviv:
I really like how hard MiB went on declaring who was the real soul behind WestWorld.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

How do you cast that actor? What does the casting call look like?

Looking for fit black men 20-35 willing to do full nudity. Not a scene to grow into.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Sorry whyd you link a picture of Doloras, Maiev, Barnerd, and Teddie?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If the show runners were better nerds they would've named the corporation Dolos for Dolores no re

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

We're supposed to think Dolores is off of her loop, but maybe she is on a new expanded loop that Ford has given to her, which would explain the camera jumps on the train and flashbacks.

When Dolores sits down to draw the tarot cards, her table is blank. She pulls a single card (the maze) but it is now actually the second card (there is already some sort of knight card in front of her, I'm assuming William is said knight).

Maybe the next time she loops around to this town she'll pull a final card that just says kill all humans.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Junkfist posted:

William a MiB who cares?

Bernard a robot who cares?

How it make story better and not make feel like gimmicky twist that waste time?

~The True Biggest Mystery~

Bravo Nolan

Youre a fag

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Danger posted:

The giant bird that hurley saw was the smoke monster

Dont forget Ana Lucia being "stabbed." I still wake up at night in cold sweats over that poo poo.

I think that the timelines are being presented to us in a way that we wont/cant know for certain until they actually spell it out to the audience. When Lawrence showed up perfectly healthy after MiB dangled and drained him I was almost certain the writers were trolling us. It throws a big wrench into disproving the multiple era theory. It was like the whole Hilary email thing this last weekend. You think you've got everything figured out and BAM! FBI director throws poo poo in the conspiracy fire.

For the record, I admire the desire for there to be a twist but to assume that there will be one and to contort scenes into a "twist-vision" is tiring and ultimately a disservice to good storytelling. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar... then again

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Shannon was stabbed. Ana Lucia fired the knife.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Gynecolojustice posted:

You could see that in Ford's flashback a couple episodes ago. They were grafting skin onto the mechanical hosts.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Are you all not entertained?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Gordon Shumway posted:

You could see that in Ford's flashback a couple episodes ago. They were grafting skin onto the mechanical hosts.

Seems hard to pump that kinda mechanical body full of nitro but this is really in the weeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

VendaGoat posted:

Are you all not entertained?

I mean a little less over time tbh.

• Locked thread