Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Agrajag posted:

Tell that to the people he has oppressed for decades and the family members of the people he has had tortured/killed, get off your drat pedestal.

I didn't watch a video of them getting tortured, so I don't care about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Ask someone from the Dark Enlightenment thread whether you should engage Cingulate or not. Ask me if you like.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Paradoxish posted:

Pew seems to think it was closer to 75%, but the actual numbers don't matter too much. The point is that there was sufficient bipartisan support that Democrats felt compelled to support the war. They were just doing what their constituents wanted. That might make them cowards and it certainly makes them culpable in part for what happened, but it doesn't make them hawks and it doesn't mean Clinton is chomping at the bit to start a war.

on March 18th 2003, McCaine posted:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 3 Weeks at most.
Will Saddam be killed? I think he'll go for the comedy "blow up the palace with everyone in it"-option.
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: Uhm, a few tens of thousands.
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 or so.
Total military casualties U.S.: Very few. Say 200.
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? Yes
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: No
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? Yes
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? No
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? He'll try and fail.
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? As long as Afghanistan. Hardly two years.
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America? Not notably.
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Bad

Comments/Thoughts: The war itself is largely irrelevant.

i was gonna post the somewhat infamous grover version of this, but i found the one the McCaine did, to give an idea of how the left thought the war was going to go. people vastly underestimated how long the occupation was going to take.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I have a bunch of friends who've been using Facebook to "check in" at Standing Rock, saying that they're trying to confuse the Bad Guys who are tracking protesters via facebook.
Is this just good ol' slacktivism or is there anything to it, anyone know?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Lemming posted:

I didn't watch a video of them getting tortured, so I don't care about them.

:same:

What sick gently caress watches snuf films?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I really don't think that slate story has legs. Trump's server is communicating with a Russian bank, it would be different if it was a Russian government building, and he has business in Russia. Could be harmless.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

smug n stuff posted:

I have a bunch of friends who've been using Facebook to "check in" at Standing Rock, saying that they're trying to confuse the Bad Guys who are tracking protesters via facebook.
The police department in question already came out and said "what no we're not doing that", and come on, you knew that was slacktivism as soon as it involved using Facebook to check in somewhere.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

ehhhhh, pretty much just slacktivism

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A Winner is Jew posted:

:same:

What sick gently caress watches snuf films?
Apparently Saddam at least got a sick burn in before he was executed. Though the real champion of the snuff video outcomes was the Italian guy.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Instant Sunrise posted:

i was gonna post the somewhat infamous grover version of this, but i found the one the McCaine did, to give an idea of how the left thought the war was going to go. people vastly underestimated how long the occupation was going to take.

How long will the US be occupying Iraq? As long as Afghanistan.

Come on that's hilarious. Or whatever the German word for cry laughing is.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Agrajag posted:

Tell that to the people he has oppressed for decades and the family members of the people he has had tortured/killed, get off your drat pedestal.
I know it's controversial, but I don't think anybody deserves being raped to death.

Deified Data posted:

Ask someone from the Dark Enlightenment thread whether you should engage Cingulate or not. Ask me if you like.
Red text, dude. Red text.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Northjayhawk posted:

I really don't think that slate story has legs. Trump's server is communicating with a Russian bank, it would be different if it was a Russian government building, and he has business in Russia. Could be harmless.
Man I don't need it to have legs, I need it to bump a certain other bunch of bullshit out of the headlines for twelve hours so that the goldfish-memoried media can find something else bright and shiny to latch onto

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

smug n stuff posted:

Snopes looked into it, and so far hasn't found that 1) police were using facebook to track down people, and 2) it's working at confusing the people.

Regardless of points 1 and 2, it has become slacktivism, and more of a "yeah I support those protesting the pipeline" which to me is alright.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Apparently Trump had a server dedicated to nothing but communicating with a Russian bank and it would be super cool if that could get some play, maybe, but I'm not hoping.

edit: Oh hey, what's up post literally right above mine, don't I look dumb now.

I've swung back to Nothing Matters unless we get video of Trump loving that server or yelling something racist at it.

Instant Sunrise posted:

There were plenty of people in the military and in military history circles disagreeing but Rumsfield just yelled shock and awe until they gave up.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Lovin' this election. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qVtNudSZLo

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

smug n stuff posted:

I know cops in the US have developed a habit of scouring social media so I wouldn't put it past them to use it as a tool to disrupt the protesters, but yeah probably slacktivism since it's facebook.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

farraday posted:

How long will the US be occupying Iraq? As long as Afghanistan.

Come on that's hilarious. Or whatever the German word for cry laughing is.

now compare that to grover's predictions in the same thread:

quote:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

Comments/Thoughts:The most difficult part will be holding Turkey and Iran back from the Kurdish territories after it's all said and done. I think most Iraqis will just surrender. Those that don't are most of the 3,000 dead. I expect hardcore troops to launch chemical attacks, but I expect them to have very limited effeciveness.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FuzzySlippers posted:

There were plenty of people in the military and in military history circles disagreeing but Rumsfield just yelled shock and awe until they gave up.

poo poo man, all you had to do was watch Princess Bride to know that invading Afghanistan would be a bad idea. :smuggo:

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

seiferguy posted:

Snopes looked into it, and so far hasn't found that 1) police were using facebook to track down people, and 2) it's working at confusing the people.

Regardless of points 1 and 2, it has become slacktivism, and more of a "yeah I support those protesting the pipeline" which to me is alright.

Cool, makes sense. I mean, there's nothing inherently wrong with slacktivism, I guess.
Maybe it'd be more honest to just say "I support the protesters" without trying make it look like you're Making A Difference but I guess it's facebook, can't expect too much.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

smug n stuff posted:

Cool, makes sense. I mean, there's nothing inherently wrong with slacktivism, I guess.
Maybe it'd be more honest to just say "I support the protesters" without trying make it look like you're Making A Difference but I guess it's facebook, can't expect too much.

gimmicky protests are more effective than just statements of support - look at the ice bucket challenge, or tinting your facebook avatar to show solidarity with france

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Agrajag posted:

There are people in this thread defending the iraq war.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

no there aren't. your reading comprehension is dogshit

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:wtc: :staredog: :catstare:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My new neighbor just swung by to offer a housewarming present of two T-shirts that read "Truck Fump." :3:

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

boner confessor posted:

gimmicky protests are more effective than just statements of support - look at the ice bucket challenge, or tinting your facebook avatar to show solidarity with france

I guess I meant in this particular case--the Ice bucket challenge actually resulted in cash donations, right? I sort of feel like this is being done like in lieu of more effective efforts.
Although here I am talking about it I guess, so maybe there is something to it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I honestly haven't found any substantive news stories on the Dakota prospects.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

mcmagic posted:

is your sight impaired?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

boner confessor posted:

no there aren't. your reading comprehension is dogshit

No but there's the stupid idea that it was impossible to know it was a bad idea at the time.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

smug n stuff posted:

I guess I meant in this particular case--the Ice bucket challenge actually resulted in cash donations, right?

i mean it wasn't a protest, but yeah. ice bucket challenge was phenomenonally successful as fundraisers go. people love stupid fads

Monaghan posted:

No but there's the stupid idea that it was impossible to know it was a bad idea at the time.

there's a difference between what you're saying and what most people including me are saying, which is that in 2003 the context of the vote was actually diifferent than it is now, in 2016, in hindsight

there were reasons to vote for the AUMF in 2003 aside from hawkishness

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

poo poo man, all you had to do was watch Princess Bride to know that invading Afghanistan would be a bad idea. :smuggo:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

boner confessor posted:

i mean it wasn't a protest, but yeah. ice bucket challenge was phenomenonally successful as fundraisers go. people love stupid fads

Patrick Stewart did the best Ice Bucket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO4NIqAMss

fussydutchman1
Mar 25, 2016
+1 for Dread Abuela in MN. Also got to vote for Keith Ellison again.

My ballot was kinda boring. MN goons, did I vote stupidly for not wanting an amendment re: who sets legislative pay? Seemed like it could just make it harder to keep people accountable, so status quo seemed fair to me?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've swung back to Nothing Matters unless we get video of Trump loving that server or yelling something racist at it.

Grab it by the PSU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

Patrick Stewart did the best Ice Bucket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO4NIqAMss

He also had the best cameo on extras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Instant Sunrise posted:

You might be right, but I really wouldn't call McCaine a useful barometer for the American left in the early 00s.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The "Laissez's Fair" forum perfectly encapsulated the attitudes of American progressives in the late '00s.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

I honestly haven't found any substantive news stories on the Dakota prospects.

I see them every couple of days in the LA Times

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

boner confessor posted:

iraq war opposition was definitely stronger out of the gate, it took a while for vietnam to heat up. but i think opposition to vietnam peaked higher, largely because of the draft. americans didn't really care about vietnam at all when the war technically started, before iraq even happened there were massive protests. but that's a question of timing, not the overall strength of opposition - there was a lot more widespread artistic opposition to vietnam, so much it defined music of the era, whereas artistic opposition to iraq was... dixie chicks? not like a whole cultural thing

I think that's a weird standard, as musical culture was vastly different, and the point is pretty stark - there was negligible opposition to Vietnam, and it took years with a draft for it to pick up. Before the Iraq War even began there was a robust anti-war movement. People were literally being jailed or having their lives ruined stateside, and US casualties were far higher.

I think it even had more of an effect, as Vietnam largely ended because of perceptions the war was unwinnable by leadership. Iraq War opposition forced the administration's hand in overpromising the supposed no-brainer success of Iraq, which made putting pressure on them to withdraw much more effective. It's a little apples to oranges, neither movement actually stopped the war, but it's a good sign of increasing civility in our society IMO, and bodes well for future wars (relatively speaking of course).

Cingulate posted:

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but on quantitative statements, I'd trust Chomsky about as far as the man has traveled to study languages other than English, which is literally nowhere.

Imagine I'm doing a jerking off motion and rolling my eyes, because that's about what that statement deserves.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I mean, in 2003 a good amount of the US voting public was high off our own farts, we hadn't come down from the early victories in Afghanistan, 9/11 was constantly being talked about or invoked, and the assumption that was would now be quick and easy after our experience with Operation Desert Storm.

A large portion of the US voting public absolutely believed that we would roll into Iraq and be "greeted as liberators." Democratic congressmen already had been shellacked in the 2002 midterms because of the rally 'round the flag effect following 9/11, and ran to the right to avoid getting primary'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Why does "shellacking" live on like some kind of horrid conversational revenant as a term used purely to describe electoral losses for a political party?

It's not a good look!

• Locked thread