Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I want more segments calling out racist white liberals.

Edit: and "concerned parents"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

tarlibone posted:

Depends on where you are.

In my neck of the woods (St. Louis), there was a lawsuit long ago regarding the exact kind of segregation that John was talking about--whites fled the city proper into the county, which was more of a big deal here than in other urban areas because not only are the suburbs not part of the main city, St. Louis is not a part of its own county thanks to the Great Divorce, in which the city left the county because they were tired of using their tax base to support the rural area surrounding them, because how could that ever backfire, the big cities at the center of every major urban center will always be where everyone wants to live, no way will the whites and anyone else who can afford to move to the 'burbs. This separation meant that it wasn't so simple to have school districts develop any kind of deseg program.

End result: many of the city's and county's schools became increasingly black in many areas, to the point of de facto segregation. So, the lawsuit. Which the plaintiffs won. Busing began, and only ended fairly recently when the judgement finally expired. And that clip you saw of the angry St. Louis area parents worried about their precious white kids getting stabbed and drugged by the... let's call them "urban" savages? That was a real thing that most of us ended up being really embarrassed about. (Thankfully, I'm in Illinois, in a suburb whose main high school is diverse because other than the Catholic school, it's the only one in town.)

What we desperately need is to get away from having schools primarily funded by local taxes. Desegregation might be a slightly easier sell if parents could be assured of a respectable education for their kids wherever they may go.

quote:

I think the bigger thing, though, is that it's easy (nowadays, at any rate) to criticize de jure segregation. How come it's illegal for black kids to go to Shiny Happy People Holding Hands High? That's wrong. But it's very easy to shrug off segregation that exists because Area A is 100% black and Area B is 100% white, and so the schools in those districts just happen to reflect the racial makeup of their locales. After all, in a small rural school in a tiny town in Iowa where there are no black kids, you don't expect to see black kids in school, do you?

That appears to be the case for quite a few issues - people seem to have trouble grasping the idea that passing a law saying "no giving or taking legal rights on account of race/gender/religion/sexuality/etc." does not automatically mean "problem solved". Either they're looking for any excuse to avoid helping people in a manner potentially inconvenient to them, or they're as clueless about how the real world works as the people who thought Prohibition was a good idea.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I hate how disingenuous John Oliver is at the beginning of every episode with his dumb, disingenuous schpeil about how he doesn't want to bring up the 2016 election again. This time it was particularly bad because after all that buildup, there was...Clinton emails about a topic which is no longer relevant but was all over the news at the time? What a non-story.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I hate how disingenuous John Oliver is at the beginning of every episode with his dumb, disingenuous schpeil about how he doesn't want to bring up the 2016 election again. This time it was particularly bad because after all that buildup, there was...Clinton emails about a topic which is no longer relevant but was all over the news at the time? What a non-story.

That was kind of the point, though. It absolutely is a non-story that Comey entirely created by sending a letter that broke FBI protocol, and it exploded over the news because there has been a quiet spell for scandals after the third debate. There's really nothing to cover, but you have to because it's everywhere and might actually affect the election.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

tarlibone posted:

Depends on where you are.

I completely agree. As touched on the segment, there are pockets of the nation that are combating this. Hell even Seattle, the white liberal poster child, passed legislation of equal representation in schools (that was unfortunately overturn in the state court I believe).

But on average, the topic is very rarely brought up, especially at a national stage. I haven't heard any presidential candidate or even senator bring the topic up (though there could be one that I missed).

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The media also has its fair share of blame for segregated schools if you consider the climate of fear about the black "super predators" that they were pushing on the unwary public.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
That "school swap" thing has been done in a few different places and the overwhelming takeaway is that it isn't positive for the kids on either side. I was listening to a podcast about a school swap a while back, and some the black students who visited the white school were pretty much in tears because they were so upset seeing all this great stuff that they'd never have a chance to utilize. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/550/three-miles

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I felt the same way, but it was more because he's only going to get to talk about this trainwreck of an election twice more before it happens (and then I imagine there will be plenty of aftermath stories in the coming weeks and months). So I don't need the hand wringing. This is the big story in the US and of course it's not going to die down less than 2 weeks before the election. I don't need the big song and dance about how he totally thought he'd be able to avoid talking about it this week. We all know that was going to be impossible, just like it will be impossible next week.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's disingenuous because of course when there's only a week left he wants to get in as much as he can before it's all hopefully over. He's obviously an opinionated person. And Danger Time.

As dumb as it is, I wished he weighed in much earlier in the primaries; granted we would've had the same outcome anyway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Echo Chamber posted:

As dumb as it is, I wished he weighed in much earlier in the primaries; granted we would've had the same outcome anyway.

"Oh boy, I hope the Fox News crowd is tuning into my funnily-serious news mockumentary show despite the fact that it's hosted by a ferigner."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

All these types of shows are basically pointless anyway since noone is switching camps

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
Is this the issue that Sam Bee and her husband campaigned against in New York? Some Daily show alum beef

http://www.slate.com/blogs/schooled/2016/06/17/the_upper_west_side_is_new_york_s_latest_school_integration_battleground.html

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

coyo7e posted:

That "school swap" thing has been done in a few different places and the overwhelming takeaway is that it isn't positive for the kids on either side. I was listening to a podcast about a school swap a while back, and some the black students who visited the white school were pretty much in tears because they were so upset seeing all this great stuff that they'd never have a chance to utilize. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/550/three-miles

You listed to that wrong you bafoon.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 1, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Here's a2 part series that had everything we just talked about and not over small story that makes it seem like this site zero good to desegregate schools

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/562/the-problem-we-all-live-with

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Lurks Morington posted:

Is this the issue that Sam Bee and her husband campaigned against in New York? Some Daily show alum beef

http://www.slate.com/blogs/schooled/2016/06/17/the_upper_west_side_is_new_york_s_latest_school_integration_battleground.html
They quoted Jason Jones; granted they both are probably in sync on the issue of their kids. I guess it's mildly upsetting.

But I highly doubt there's a beef going on between them and Oliver. The Daily Show family seems to be on good terms.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Didn't listen to the podcast but it seems kind of sad that kids would be up in tears over not having the latest iMacs for their computer labs or whatever.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Didn't listen to the podcast but it seems kind of sad that kids would be up in tears over not having the latest iMacs for their computer labs or whatever.

Think it might have more to do with realizing the inherent truths behind the mostly white schools having those things and the mostly black schools not having them, and what those truths probably mean for the rest of their lives.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Lurks Morington posted:

Yep and it really shows you just how lovely people they are because the only time you'd be telling your side not to talk to the press is when you know your side is the one doing something extremely lovely.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Veskit posted:

Here's a2 part series that had everything we just talked about and not over small story that makes it seem like this site zero good to desegregate schools
Perhaps it's the post/av combo but most of this sentence seems to just descend into gibberish

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Love Crime posted:

Yep and it really shows you just how lovely people they are because the only time you'd be telling your side not to talk to the press is when you know your side is the one doing something extremely lovely.

I really hope that these faux leftists get exposed in the future of politics. Maybe things will be hopeful with a more minority based generation.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You know, it's weird. I went to school in Plano, and the schools had some segregation issues. The west side senior school was almost entirely white because it was served by some of the wealthiest people in any metroplex suburb, but the most diverse school (the east side senior high and its feeder shcools) had the best grades, an IB program, and had the best marks in the system. It was also the least violent. You'd hear about rich white lame-asses beating eachother within inches of their lives on the west side, and as soon as their parents posted bail they'd go score some heroin and accidentally OD.

The funny thing is, the west side was famously a shithole of racist WASPs, but I'd argue the diversity of the east side schooling system was a huge factor in opening up kids minds, exposing them to new ideas, and gently caress dude it was as close to paradise as you could get in a loving school. I wish it was the 2008-2009 school year again because I would so much rather be there than where I am right now.

It's funny to me seeing these wackjob white parents scared to death of the darkies shanking their precious baby because a little diversity might actually help him grow as a person.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
you "heard about rich white lameasses" beating each other into a pulp? LOL if you thought that was true, those kids are way too interested in not hurting their faces.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

coyo7e posted:

you "heard about rich white lameasses" beating each other into a pulp? LOL if you thought that was true, those kids are way too interested in not hurting their faces.

I had friends on that side of town, witnessing it. It wasn't highschool gossip. It was my friend saying Chadwick said the wrong thing to Brayden and had his head stomped over a curb.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was in elementary school desegregation in Baltimore Maryland in the late-60s, and as a middle-class white kid being bused to Cherry Hill it scared the living poo poo out of my parents but us kids were fine with it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
That video of the little girl saying the drawing of the white girl was good because it looked like her and the drawing of the black girl was bad because she was dark was a goddamned gutpunch.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I agree with a lot of what he's saying on this piece but I think it's a little bit lovely to call the parent selfish. I don't blame the guy at all for being upset his child is being denied the absolute best schooling she can get and no one should compromise on that, regardless if they're white or black or minority or whatnot. He also found a pretty lame case in this argument on selfishness to substantiate his point when this parent left the state. I don't blame a parent that becomes angry their kid was rejected because they exceed a quota.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Servaetes posted:

I agree with a lot of what he's saying on this piece but I think it's a little bit lovely to call the parent selfish. I don't blame the guy at all for being upset his child is being denied the absolute best schooling she can get and no one should compromise on that, regardless if they're white or black or minority or whatnot. He also found a pretty lame case in this argument on selfishness to substantiate his point when this parent left the state. I don't blame a parent that becomes angry their kid was rejected because they exceed a quota.

I do, gently caress them.

The more you buck this system where you don't help the disadvantaged the worse the experience is for the disadvantaged. It's so god drat selfish to put everything above everyone for your children. At no point does any reasonable parent go "jeeze, this bus system that we're using is absurdly expensive, why don't we just make all kids walk to school like mine because we happen to live so close and instead put it toward my child's education!". There's a point of reasonableness that you have to consider.

Side note, I got a metric ton of poo poo from white people because I happen to have above average grades, and received a full ride to school for a year because I was black. The problem was I went to school, a good one mind you, that had a 3% black population for the program. Not only that, black people included foreign nationals, which probably were at least half of the black population in the program. Going by that logic my school had a bigger native population than american black population.

Also gently caress Abigail Fisher but even more so Edward Blum, her lawyer who is a terrible horrific person (side rant). Here's a list of things he's done to gently caress black people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_v._Vera - weakened the equal voting rights act by removing racial gerrymandering (thanks douche)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_County_v._Holder - the one where he made it so you don't need federal preclearance to change your voting laws because, " is unconstitutional because the coverage formula is based on data over 40 years old, making it no longer responsive to current needs and therefore an impermissible burden on the constitutional principles of federalism and equal sovereignty of the states." IE, black people got an advantage for 40 years, they're goo dnow we're good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evenwel_v._Abbott He also tried to say that only eligible voters should be used for redistricting, meaning if you jailed enough black people, they couldn't vote thus you could delude the voting power via gerrymandering.

What i'm getting that is yeah I hear you you want the best for your kid but there's a loving WAR out there and we're losing so really think about that when Tommy wants to have ipads AND computers in the classroom.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The only anecdote I can add to the subject from personal experience is that I went to public school in one of the better-off immigrant/children-of-immigrants suburbs in central New Jersey that has a very strong reputation for being diverse (with its huge Indian and asian population); and it probably helped a lot in making my classmates and facebook friends at least conventionally tolerant and liberal. And the schools themselves have a strong reputation for being good. But I can't say I'm one of the success stories.

I still see more Trump signs than Hillary signs. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the liberal people in my town react with hostility towards a hypothetical expansion of low-income housing in our neighborhoods and letting poorer people use our schools. (The business-owning class and professionally-oriented immigrants obviously have their prejudices.) But maybe I'm being too cynical in this hypothetical.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_County_v._Holder - the one where he made it so you don't need federal preclearance to change your voting laws because, " is unconstitutional because the coverage formula is based on data over 40 years old, making it no longer responsive to current needs and therefore an impermissible burden on the constitutional principles of federalism and equal sovereignty of the states." IE, black people got an advantage for 40 years, they're goo dnow we're good

That's one of my personal hateorites. It's pretty much like saying that you don't need to keep holding that open umbrella above your head because you've been walking in the rain all day and you haven't gotten wet yet, therefore the umbrella must not be necessary anymore.

And to prove once and for all that cynics are right somewhere around 100% of the time, within hours of that ruling, some states that had been under such scrutiny began changing their voting laws in ways that just so happened to coincidentally negatively affect minorities more than whites (in an effort to prevent a type of voter fraud that virtually doesn't exist). North Carolina, my home state (born a Tarheel, raised a Landoflincoln), had the most obvious case: a day after that decision, they announced that they were going to kill in-person voter impersonation once and for all. And, to that end, they asked their data miners to give them data based on race: how did most black people vote, what voting services did they take advantage of more than whites, what IDs were they much less likely to have than whites, and what IDs were they more likely to have than whites.

Take a wild guess as to how they then crafted their law. It was jaw-droppingly blatant institutional racism, which is impressive considering it's the South.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm not in favour of the praise for Louisville ky given anyone with money, black or white sends their kids to private school due to how lovely KY schools generally are, outside Oldham county the 48th richest place in America

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Veskit posted:

The more you buck this system where you don't help the disadvantaged the worse the experience is for the disadvantaged. It's so god drat selfish to put everything above everyone for your children. At no point does any reasonable parent go "jeeze, this bus system that we're using is absurdly expensive, why don't we just make all kids walk to school like mine because we happen to live so close and instead put it toward my child's education!". There's a point of reasonableness that you have to consider.

It's not even just selfish to act this way, it is downright not in their best interest. It's shortsighted as gently caress to go "but my child needs the best opportunities to succeed" when what's really best for your loving kid is for everyone to have a legit loving chance to grow up with good opportunities so that the society your kid lives in is not quite as hosed up and terrible.

Long Beach Unified in SoCal improved integration in their high schools by giving every school a special emphasis (STEM, arts, there's a military academy, etc) and guaranteeing bussing from any part of the city to any school. Kids can apply for and choose what high school they want to attend. It's not perfect, but it's improved things a lot in the city. And again, white people have totally benefited from the system as well, it's not like POC got something better and now white people's lives in Long Beach suck. So dumb that we white people live in such fear of not having enough privilege that we'll actually harm ourselves to prevent others from getting a leg up.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Hawkgirl posted:

It's not even just selfish to act this way, it is downright not in their best interest. It's shortsighted as gently caress to go "but my child needs the best opportunities to succeed" when what's really best for your loving kid is for everyone to have a legit loving chance to grow up with good opportunities so that the society your kid lives in is not quite as hosed up and terrible.

Everyone goes to state schools though not Ivy League schools :qq:

Hawkgirl posted:

So dumb that we white people live in such fear of not having enough privilege that we'll actually harm ourselves to prevent others from getting a leg up.

No offense to you Hawkgirl, clearly, but white people in this thread have been the worst for the past month it's really loving infuriating hence why my typing has been deplorably bad.

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

I'm not in favour of the praise for Louisville ky given anyone with money, black or white sends their kids to private school due to how lovely KY schools generally are, outside Oldham county the 48th richest place in America

As someone who actually went to public school in Louisville, I say they definitely deserve the praise they received. The quality of education in the state has certainly dropped with the funding cuts over the years which began around the time I hit 10th grade, not because of integration efforts, and to be fair, a lot of families in Kentucky can not afford to send their children to private school. I find reasonably often the quality of my high school education was much better than that of several of my US peers. Again, this is a personal opinion, but I don't feel his praise is at all misplaced.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

Why do you make stuff up

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/local/highest-income-counties/

Kentucky isn't even on the loving list. Lousiville's median income for a family is also 46k, which is way below the national average. I have zero clue how you came up with this poo poo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Black schools are bad because they don't have funding, so parents don't want to send their kids there, which makes them worse because they have less funding...it's no child left behind all over again.

Incidentally, the north has a history with this sort of thing. The south built up a whole race-based power system because they had to maintain power even in black-majority areas, but in the north, they were just another minority to disenfranchise and push to the side like the rest. In the south they needed to construct a complex system of norms to keep blacks in their place while also keeping them around to be the lower class and do jobs, but outside of the south, it was actually feasible to just make sundown towns where they all get kicked out at night. Blacks weren't even the first to have separate schools, that started with the Irish, which is part of where catholic schools came from.

I'm not sure if there was much more intensity than there was with the other minorities, but it stuck around longer because families can naturalize and stop being foreign over time/generations, but they can't stop being black.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Veskit posted:

Why do you make stuff up

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/local/highest-income-counties/

Kentucky isn't even on the loving list. Lousiville's median income for a family is also 46k, which is way below the national average. I have zero clue how you came up with this poo poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States

This list has Oldham at number 52 in 2010 with a median household income of $79,417

Most current lists don't seem to want to go past the top 10

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I went to high school in a fairly mixed area and one thing the episode didn't really cover is how hosed up the system is even inside areas that are mostly white, but still have a significant minority population within the school district. I remember when in junior high, a bunch of kids weren't going to the same high school because they were terrified of the potential gang populations(there really was a strong gang population by the school, but as long as people didn't try to act like they were in a gang, they would be fine). They were instead trying to get into some catholic school, but that was starting to not become a realistic option because of the large Hispanic population in the area. So then a bunch of other parents decided to settle on this one town that was almost entirely white and move to it.

Ok, so that seems sorta normal for what to expect, but then within the school system there was practically a class system that was being formed. Some of it was pretty natural like the ESL students sticking with each other(we had a lot of people coming in from Poland, Lithuania, and Mexico). Fine, but then you had the Honors/AP classes in which the students practically got their own brand of teachers, equipment, rooms, and even a giant amount of leeway from the non-teaching faculty. A bunch of the AP/Honors teachers would sometimes talk about them having to teach a non-honors/ap class and act like it was the worst thing in the world in front of the class. Also take a guess what race the honors/AP classes mostly were. Then I never noticed it, but then I started hearing stories on how they tried to put all of the African American kids in one gym and lunch periods and kinda gave them their own schedule, the Hispanic kids their own, and same with the Muslim ones. The only times I ran into these students were for some mandatory classes that didn't have some honor or AP variant and only had a single teacher teaching that subject. I somehow don't think that situation is all that unique either. In parts where you end up with a decent distribution of minorities and white people, I'd imagine that you end up with schools just trying to segregate the place.

edit: I should probably point out that the entire teaching staff and management was white with a few exceptions(Spanish teachers were usually Mexican), and a large portion of the security, janitors, and food service staff were either first generation immigrants or African American.

Grinning Goblin fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 1, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Veskit posted:

No offense to you Hawkgirl, clearly, but white people in this thread have been the worst for the past month

Which is still higher in quality than what you usually trot out.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 1, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Luvcow posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States

This list has Oldham at number 52 in 2010 with a median household income of $79,417

Most current lists don't seem to want to go past the top 10

Even going by a semantics argument, kentucky schools are pretty good which ruins his point

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-best-schools/5335/

It's a way to diffuse something important like school integration by saying something like "yeah but the schools are poo poo anyway so who cares".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jamesman posted:

That video of the little girl saying the drawing of the white girl was good because it looked like her and the drawing of the black girl was bad because she was dark was a goddamned gutpunch.

If you think that's a gut punch wait until you see black kids coming to the same conclusion for the opposite reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG7U1QsUd1g

• Locked thread