Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

:master:

edit: poo poo your quote fuckery made it so I can't appreciate it properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

MisterBibs posted:

No, they said Not My Star Wars for hours. They gave a segment of the population who just wanted to say Not My Star Wars in a painstakingly verbose way that way to do it. Of course, it's just Not My Star Wars, over and over, for hours, like a multi-hour Best of Sheldon Cooper marathon.

Oh my god dude. I'm starting to think your issue with RLM is that Mr. Plinkett sounds weird. And I could understand that, as it's an intentionally annoying voice that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. And intentionally intending to be annoying is still annoying, and the Plinkett voice is the 'aha, I was only pretending to be retarded' of annoying voices. And if that's true that you don't like the videos because of the performance, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're wrong. It doesn't invalidate the argument if you don't like the way it's presented. And if there is something wrong with the arguments presented, I would actually love to hear them from you in ways that aren't blanket statements that have no meaning. Cause that makes this a conversation rather than trying to shut it down with obviously superior arguments.

And I want you to know, the Prequels were 'My Star Wars', released when I was a kid and the perfect age for Star Wars. And I thought for a long while that I just didn't like 'My Star Wars'. It was a story that I didn't understand, with characters I couldn't connect with. I felt like I should've connected with it, as that's what the marketing machine expected of me, but I felt like an outsider to a phenomenon that the rest of the world went crazy for. And when I rediscovered the original trilogy in my teens, I understood why Star Wars was that phenomenon. And when the RLM critiques blew up, I felt vindicated for my feelings of the prequels. They aren't good movies, just really shiny ones that are shiny enough to be considered 'entertainment'. And if you want to see why, here's a basic primer, try to ignore the annoying voice and the misogyny that colors the jokes

And as for The Thing. Again, young dude here. Didn't watch it for the longest time until last year. And I thought it was really good even though it was 30+ years out from it's release. If you want to criticize it, you could take issue with it's occasionally goofy effects, namely the very retro and out of place saucer that opens the film. You could also take issue with the pacing that gets tiring at the end. Personally I could look past it, as that tiring pacing acts as a reflection of the character's increasing fatigue and growing nihilistic outlook. But not being clear about it's character's motivations is kinda the point of the film, where people are thrown far deep into a situation that no one has experience in. And that situation certainly invites characters to act in ways that doing something without motivation also invites the audience to throw suspicion onto the characters, and suggests they might be a thing. Hell, your confusion over why Kurt Russel would convince everyone to blow up the place is because he's a thing, and that helps the thing accomplish it's goal.

However, it made sense to me why they wanted to burn up the fucker. It was frozen for the longest time, caught the Norwegian Camp unaware, massacred them and escaped to Kurt Russel's outpost. And not wanting that cycle to begin again, escaping or freezing so it could catch another team unaware, they decide they'll do the opposite of freezing it. They'll burn it up, and hopefully kill it or at least flush it out. And I don't know if you've experienced fire, but it radiates heat from a far distance. And it radiates it farther when it gets bigger. So a huge explosion that causes a huge fire will be really hot. And at the end of the film, that huge fire is radiating a lot of heat that they hope will kill the fucker. Though, without a corpse it's uncertain if it's dead or if it got Kurt Russel or Keith David. That uncertainty is a thematic through line that pervades the entire film, and acts as a fitting close to a film that's all about paranoia and uncertainty.

And that may of been a long post, however, it for a good reason. I didn't repeat or reiterate my points. I laid out a logical progression that explained my point of view with evidence to support it. Essay writing 101 stuff. And I do it so that people understand my point of view, and can either understand my thesis or to give them something to refute it. The Red Letter Media guys don't make their videos several hours long due to unchecked egotism, but because they find a lot of evidence in the film that supports their viewpoints. And they give clear reasoning on why their evidence supports their viewpoints, which takes some time to do, which leads to long runtimes out of necessity. And the reason I need to so clear, is so that you MisterBibs understand that the viewpoints that me and a lot of other posters who share beliefs that contradict yours isn't because things like The Thing or Star Wars or RLM are sacred gooses, but because we found a lot of factual evidence that support our claims that there were creative choices that led to our conclusions. There are major technical flaws with Star Wars, the Plinkett reviews have merit to the things you take issue with, and there is some concise reasoning as to why the events in The Thing lead to people blowing up a Antarctic Research Station.

Content:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Please frame your argument in the form of funny pictures.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
RLM sucks

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

*Tips helmet*

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

actuawheelie,

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Facebook Aunt posted:

Please frame your argument in the form of funny pictures.
Ok

is a good movie.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Forgall posted:

Ok

is a good movie.

Well I don't need to see more proof, looks like everything is in order here.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Oh my god dude. I'm starting to think your issue with RLM is that Mr. Plinkett sounds weird. And I could understand that, as it's an intentionally annoying voice that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. And intentionally intending to be annoying is still annoying, and the Plinkett voice is the 'aha, I was only pretending to be retarded' of annoying voices. And if that's true that you don't like the videos because of the performance, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're wrong. It doesn't invalidate the argument if you don't like the way it's presented. And if there is something wrong with the arguments presented, I would actually love to hear them from you in ways that aren't blanket statements that have no meaning. Cause that makes this a conversation rather than trying to shut it down with obviously superior arguments.

And I want you to know, the Prequels were 'My Star Wars', released when I was a kid and the perfect age for Star Wars. And I thought for a long while that I just didn't like 'My Star Wars'. It was a story that I didn't understand, with characters I couldn't connect with. I felt like I should've connected with it, as that's what the marketing machine expected of me, but I felt like an outsider to a phenomenon that the rest of the world went crazy for. And when I rediscovered the original trilogy in my teens, I understood why Star Wars was that phenomenon. And when the RLM critiques blew up, I felt vindicated for my feelings of the prequels. They aren't good movies, just really shiny ones that are shiny enough to be considered 'entertainment'. And if you want to see why, here's a basic primer, try to ignore the annoying voice and the misogyny that colors the jokes

And as for The Thing. Again, young dude here. Didn't watch it for the longest time until last year. And I thought it was really good even though it was 30+ years out from it's release. If you want to criticize it, you could take issue with it's occasionally goofy effects, namely the very retro and out of place saucer that opens the film. You could also take issue with the pacing that gets tiring at the end. Personally I could look past it, as that tiring pacing acts as a reflection of the character's increasing fatigue and growing nihilistic outlook. But not being clear about it's character's motivations is kinda the point of the film, where people are thrown far deep into a situation that no one has experience in. And that situation certainly invites characters to act in ways that doing something without motivation also invites the audience to throw suspicion onto the characters, and suggests they might be a thing. Hell, your confusion over why Kurt Russel would convince everyone to blow up the place is because he's a thing, and that helps the thing accomplish it's goal.

However, it made sense to me why they wanted to burn up the fucker. It was frozen for the longest time, caught the Norwegian Camp unaware, massacred them and escaped to Kurt Russel's outpost. And not wanting that cycle to begin again, escaping or freezing so it could catch another team unaware, they decide they'll do the opposite of freezing it. They'll burn it up, and hopefully kill it or at least flush it out. And I don't know if you've experienced fire, but it radiates heat from a far distance. And it radiates it farther when it gets bigger. So a huge explosion that causes a huge fire will be really hot. And at the end of the film, that huge fire is radiating a lot of heat that they hope will kill the fucker. Though, without a corpse it's uncertain if it's dead or if it got Kurt Russel or Keith David. That uncertainty is a thematic through line that pervades the entire film, and acts as a fitting close to a film that's all about paranoia and uncertainty.

And that may of been a long post, however, it for a good reason. I didn't repeat or reiterate my points. I laid out a logical progression that explained my point of view with evidence to support it. Essay writing 101 stuff. And I do it so that people understand my point of view, and can either understand my thesis or to give them something to refute it. The Red Letter Media guys don't make their videos several hours long due to unchecked egotism, but because they find a lot of evidence in the film that supports their viewpoints. And they give clear reasoning on why their evidence supports their viewpoints, which takes some time to do, which leads to long runtimes out of necessity. And the reason I need to so clear, is so that you MisterBibs understand that the viewpoints that me and a lot of other posters who share beliefs that contradict yours isn't because things like The Thing or Star Wars or RLM are sacred gooses, but because we found a lot of factual evidence that support our claims that there were creative choices that led to our conclusions. There are major technical flaws with Star Wars, the Plinkett reviews have merit to the things you take issue with, and there is some concise reasoning as to why the events in The Thing lead to people blowing up a Antarctic Research Station.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Oh my god dude. I'm starting to think your issue with RLM is that Mr. Plinkett sounds weird.

No, I don't like RLM's videos where they say Not My Star Wars for way too many hours, because that's what they are. Don't get me wrong, they are funny because they actually think they are saying more than Not My Star Wars, when they aren't. A dog might think a basketball might be something to eat; it's funny because it's wrong.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

. Hell, your confusion over why Kurt Russel would convince everyone to blow up the place is because he's a thing, and that helps the thing accomplish it's goal.

I believe you have me confused with the others. I'm not confused by Kurt Russell's dumb idea to set fire to the camp. It's a dumb idea and lazily written. Just because some concoct twisting justifications for the dumb idea - as twisted as this confused cat stuck in a clear bag is - doesn't mean that those justifications are correct.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The Red Letter Media guys don't make their videos several hours long due to unchecked egotism

Given how their latest Star Wars video had Mike complaining about Millennials not agreeing with his Not My Star Wars mentality, this sort of thing can only be responded to with a laugh, because why else make a multiple hour long video that boils down to Not My Star Wars, other than ego? It's the kind of laugh you have looking at this baby with painted on eyebrows.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
funny picture

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
all of this could have been avoided if we had just looked at misterbibs' rap sheet

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, BOY! 63 new posts in the funny pictures thread! I hope there's some real good content!

*Finds most of the new posts are mostly about an argument over an old horror movie*

Goddamnit

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Vietnamwees posted:

Oh, BOY! 63 new posts in the funny pictures thread! I hope there's some real good content!

*Finds most of the new posts are mostly about an argument over an old horror movie*

Goddamnit

That was also not a funny picture.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Don't worry. I got this.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Phlegmish posted:

Don't worry. I got this.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Mr bibs gay, so wat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can we get PCOS Bill in on this?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

funny picture

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

made it ma, bottom of the screenshot

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Y'all got dragged into one of MisterBibs dumb arguments. Try asking him how 10 Cloverfield Lane ends sometime.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

He was too smart for that discussion.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Curse of The Weggy Board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15nNY7uofNw

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Karate Bastard posted:

I'm not really into horror movies, I've never seen The Thing.

But RLM is good stuff.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lebron James' Halloween party.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

funmanguy posted:

Please do not interact in anyway with bibs.

Seriously, he's hooked a few here with his troll-fishing. Just put him on ignore and enjoy a hotdog.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RareAcumen posted:

You're not laughing your rear end off at this conversation too?

seriously. i can't believe how many people are falling over themselves to tell someone they're wrong rather than just ignoring them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Damnit! I wanted to do this next year.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

flosofl posted:

Seriously, he's hooked a few here with his troll-fishing. Just put him on ignore and enjoy a hotdog sandwich

ftfy

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

flosofl posted:

Seriously, he's hooked a few here with his troll-fishing. Just put him on ignore and enjoy a sandwich.

A hot dog is already a sandwich, so saying a "hotdog sandwich" is being redundant.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

RareAcumen posted:

You're not laughing your rear end off at this conversation too?

I just scroll through the text to find those nuggets of pure most favourite funny pictures posted in this thread

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Obi-Wan Kenboni

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Oh hey the Hello Kitty exhibit at the EMP in Seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Blendy posted:

I think they made one that's just for you to program to do whatever you want it to do to like teach kids to program.

I have one for cat litter because having the UPS guy drop 40 lbs of litter at my door beats running to the store.

I'm a little late to this conversation, but this made me look at Amazon cat litter, that's a good idea. Amazon suggested one of the buy it noe buttons in the "buy these together" segment at the bottom. I seriously can't believe those things cost money. Its a button that locks a customer in to buying only your product, and regularly, without having to think about it or money (since you never look at any card or cash) why wouldn't they just send anyone who buys that poo poo on Amazon , or at least give an option to add one for free, so you don't waste a ton on people who don't want them. Or charge a penny if you have to to make it an official purchase. I'm seriously blown away that those things aren't just given away.

• Locked thread