Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Imagined posted:

I would love to see Nintendo capitalize on 8-bit and 16-bit nostalgia more by making some new games in the old school style with the sort of polish that no Steam indie dev cranking out pixelart platformers where a sad child moves to the right could match.

i was appaled that the NES mini didn't include all time classic ICE HOCKEY , so the switch virtual store better god drat capitalise on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Imagined posted:

Speaking of capitalizing on nostalgia, what are the chances of someone getting a NES Classic at MSRP before Xmas?

preorders appear to be sold out everywhere, which isn't a great sign

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Will Mario Kart 9 let me adjust spring rates and and caster angle?

loving CHRIST I hope not

Electromax
May 6, 2007
MK8 DLC did set the precedent for GT-like real car dealerships though. MK World Tour.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Imagined posted:

Forza and Mario Kart are completely comparable games and this is a wonderful derail I've started and immediately regretted.

Good lord I wish we had even the tiniest scrap of actual news to talk about.

Forza isn't better than Mario Kart

Forza Horizon is though

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

preorders appear to be sold out everywhere, which isn't a great sign

As far as I could tell, preorders never happened in the first place at most stores.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My preorder is the cute girl at the store said she would schedule herself to work that day and hold one for me because she liked my cute kid I'm getting it for. Ah if I were fifteen years younger.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

alf_pogs posted:

i was appaled that the NES mini didn't include all time classic ICE HOCKEY , so the switch virtual store better god drat capitalise on that

It probably doesn't include Star Tropics either, I'm just assuming. Dang Nintendo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No it has Startropics, surprisingly.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Soul Glo posted:

Forza isn't better than Mario Kart

Forza Horizon is though

are you trying to tell me microsoft published a good game

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

greatn posted:

No it has Startropics, surprisingly.

woooooooah. I was under the impression that Nintendo hated that franchise.

It was easily one of my top 5 NES games, and the best "Zelda knockoff" that was actually better than Zelda.

I said it.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 1, 2016

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

When I was little I always thought the StarTropics witch doctor lady from the game-over cutscenes was holding a banana over your head, it took me years to parse that sprite as her pinkie and thumb

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Reiley posted:

When I was little I always thought the StarTropics witch doctor lady from the game-over cutscenes was holding a banana over your head, it took me years to parse that sprite as her pinkie and thumb

holy moly i can't believe it's so hard to find pixel art of the young lady/old lady illusion. i had a stellar joke here and it's just RUINED

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Reiley posted:

I know exactly what you're talking about, I always thought it was a bird. also dude her hand moved! loving next gen poo poo!

ha

ps. when did imgur become so lovely?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 1, 2016

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
If licences to actual teams are too expensive in this day and age then the time is right for Konami to revamp Blades of Steel. Actually, make that for the Switch, it sounds perfect for that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Perry Normal posted:

If licences to actual teams are too expensive in this day and age then the time is right for Konami to revamp Blades of Steel. Actually, make that for the Switch, it sounds perfect for that.

Blades of Steel...Pachinko

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they already remade it in '99 for n64 and it was not as good as the original

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

its really confusing that it didnt include more basic games like pinball and some of the bigger sports games on the nes
it feels like the game library is designed for the exact opposite population of people who are the product's core market.

i have to imagine that most of the missing titles are due to rights holders who realized they can make their own, far larger slice of a pie by putting their games out in their own compilations and on virtual console as 5$ seperate purchases

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Walrus posted:

What was the rationale for so many different versions back in the day? Like were the snes and Genesis so different it would have been the same amount of work to port Jurassic park or Aladdin as it was to make a completely separate game

The Genesis and SNES were actually very different, hardware wise. The Genesis has a comparatively quick CPU (BLAST PROCESSING) with lovely dedicated sound and graphics hardware. The SNES had a slow CPU with great graphics and sound hardware and support for cartridge co-processors

Making a one size fits all game that runs equally on both systems is certainly doable but is dumb since it doesn't take advantage of each system's capabilities

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SNES magazines at the time would give lower marks to games they deemed to just be Megadrive, PC Engine or Amiga ports that didn't take any advantage of the hardware.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm going to start a petition for a Pocket Card Jockey port or direct sequel.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

wicka posted:

i've read a bunch of leaks from devs suggesting that it's super easy to develop games for switch
same, but for wii u

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-nintendo-to-end-wii-u-production-this-week

Assuming this is true, I'm now even more sure that the Switch will have an assload of Wii U ports. Even if you ignore the general quality of the games, the relatively low cost of porting and the fact that even many Wii U owners would probably double-dip for the portability, now they need to engage in some real game preservation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BreakAtmo posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-nintendo-to-end-wii-u-production-this-week

Assuming this is true, I'm now even more sure that the Switch will have an assload of Wii U ports. Even if you ignore the general quality of the games, the relatively low cost of porting and the fact that even many Wii U owners would probably double-dip for the portability, now they need to engage in some real game preservation.

I hope so honestly. I just want to know what their plan is for Smash. Not even because I don't want to buy it again (I'll always buy Smash) but because I don't want them to waste time making a whole new one.

Also if they were to port over WiiU games and add in DLC to them via the Switch I'd be down for that as well. More Captain Toad levels if you play it through the Switch? Sure

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I hope so honestly. I just want to know what their plan is for Smash. Not even because I don't want to buy it again (I'll always buy Smash) but because I don't want them to waste time making a whole new one.

Also if they were to port over WiiU games and add in DLC to them via the Switch I'd be down for that as well. More Captain Toad levels if you play it through the Switch? Sure

I'm pretty sure Super Switch Bros will be Smash 4 with all DLC on the cart, and then they'll hopefully continue with additional Switch-exclusive DLC, probably the sort that the 3DS couldn't handle like the Ice Climbers.

What I really want though is to be able to finally play the Bayonetta games, I hope they're brought along as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would be hilarious if WiiU games have better market penetration on the switch.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm pretty sure Super Switch Bros will be Smash 4 with all DLC on the cart, and then they'll hopefully continue with additional Switch-exclusive DLC, probably the sort that the 3DS couldn't handle like the Ice Climbers.

What I really want though is to be able to finally play the Bayonetta games, I hope they're brought along as well.

Platinum did some good poo poo for Wii U, it's true. Wonderful 101 will probably be the last Wii U game I buy, since I still haven't gotten around to it, unless the Switch launch lineup is so bad that I also buy the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

They didn't show this in the trailer, but I hope you can do stuff like Nintendoland's Ghost Mansion or Metroid shooter if you have a switch in the dock and other player's on their hand-held switches.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why would you need one in the dock?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

greatn posted:

Why would you need one in the dock?

To provide a video source to the TV.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Two in the dock, one in the pocket

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Two switches one dock :gonk:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
switch.avi

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It would be hilarious if WiiU games have better market penetration on the switch.

the wii u has sold like 13m units, that doesn't sound like a surprising result

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wicka posted:

the wii u has sold like 13m units, that doesn't sound like a surprising result

That beats the Dreamcast!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

That beats the Dreamcast!

The Dreamcast has PSO and Dynamite Cop so it's better regardless of sales imo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the dreamcast was the best console and was defeated purely by sony's superior hype machine. i will go to my grave believing this.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

That is guaranteed to happen

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

wicka posted:

the dreamcast was the best console and was defeated purely by sony's superior hype machine. i will go to my grave believing this.

The dreamcast had a dumb controller and an amazing library. RIP dreamcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

wicka posted:

The actual problem was Sega's lack of direction in the console space for the preceding 5+ years :(

• Locked thread