Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

InitialDave posted:

I hope they at least let him count his distance as being to where it landed.

Distance is measured at the sled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The tail lights on my Audi are made in Italy and melt themselves every 6 months so I found some 1156 style LED bulbs in the desperate hope that less draw would mean less melting only to find out that my car detects the reduced load and disables the lights. So now I have large finned resistor packs wired inline on each circuit and screwed to the sheet metal with some thermal paste behind them because Germany.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thebigcow posted:

Distance is measured at the sled.
Perhaps, but there's no opportunity for making a joke about that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A for effort:
"Guy buys a low cost turbo kit for his 3v Mustang, loads a N/A tune with 36 degrees of timing, 87 octane, and a wastegate that is plumbed backwards so it never opens.

All 8 pistons disappeared, nothing left of them except bits of scrap in the pan"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

A for effort:
"Guy buys a low cost turbo kit for his 3v Mustang, loads a N/A tune with 36 degrees of timing, 87 octane, and a wastegate that is plumbed backwards so it never opens.

All 8 pistons disappeared, nothing left of them except bits of scrap in the pan"

:dogbutton: Mein Gott im Himmel

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 30, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

A for effort:

That's just showing off.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Did it even go fast for a minute? Or just complete and utter annihilation immediately?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
He did the world a favor destroying a ford 3valve. gently caress those things in any iteration of vehicle. Spark plug problems intake runner control problems exhaust manifold problems.....and on the truck they luckily catch fire and rid the world of there plight.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Did it even go fast for a minute? Or just complete and utter annihilation immediately?

If the goal was to turn a motor into a bomb, you can't do a whole lot better than a combination of huge boost + wrong fuel + wrong timing + blocking off all relief valves

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kastein posted:

A for effort

There's no way you do all of those things without 100% knowing what you're on about. He wanted that engine to grenade hilariously, and mission loving accomplished from where I'm sitting. As mentioned, those engines deserve nothing better than to be used as boat anchors and Fallout-style apocalypse decoration, so not only did he have some (brief) fun, nothing of value was lost.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think you guys are giving stupid children who think they know how to tune an engine (note: I don't) way too much credit.

If I had to assume, the timing was a matter of not knowing the tuner software and resetting the value it uses for the base timing. 87 octane because he didn't think to drain the tank. Wastegate backward is just an idiot being an idiot.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Memento posted:

There's no way you do all of those things without 100% knowing what you're on about. He wanted that engine to grenade hilariously, and mission loving accomplished from where I'm sitting. As mentioned, those engines deserve nothing better than to be used as boat anchors and Fallout-style apocalypse decoration, so not only did he have some (brief) fun, nothing of value was lost.

I admire your faith in your fellow man.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Just a page or so ago was an engine that went almost 70k on its original oil. Trusting anyone to know anything about how to not destroy a car is a lot of trust

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

kastein posted:

A for effort:

I want to know what the hell that sounded like. I suspect something like "VROOOO WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE CRUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNCHCHCHCHCH weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

kastein posted:

A for effort:

I have a friend that had a 347 stroker making an impressive amount of power for being an old 5.0 block and he split the whole thing lengthwise. Above about 350hp or so on those blocks you were on borrowed time.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
After sharing Kasteins post with a friend, he showed me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT88ygEUEg4

Apologies if it's a repost.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
FullBOOMS.com.au

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That owns so loving hard. :perfect:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Failure mode: open

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DumbparameciuM posted:

Apologies if it's a repost.

Holy poo poo it ripped it open like a tin can :stare:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
God bless them

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Guy is mad at hose clamps in trucks these days,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfVqr0EkLXA&feature=youtu.be

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Embedded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfVqr0EkLXA

This guy probably knows his poo poo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ahahahaha loving crying.

Because 1. its funny as all gently caress. 2. My bus has those motherfucking clamps goddamn everywhere.

...in places that'd require dropping the engine or cutting the floor to get at.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

So wait, Canada actually sounds like Trailer Park Boys?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Powershift posted:

It was then towed outside of the enviroment.

Thank you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

ahahahaha loving crying.

Because 1. its funny as all gently caress. 2. My bus has those motherfucking clamps goddamn everywhere.

...in places that'd require dropping the engine or cutting the floor to get at.

I feel his pain. Plastic has no place in the engine bay.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CommieGIR posted:

As a BMW owner I approve this message.

"Let's fill the entire cooling system with plastic that gets brittle when exposed to heat! Engine bays don't get hot, right?"
--BMW engineer

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

wolrah posted:

As a BMW owner I approve this message.

"Let's fill the entire cooling system with plastic that gets brittle when exposed to heat! Engine bays don't get hot, right?"
--BMW engineer

"Yeah, the engine gets hot, but this is for the cooling system! It says cool right in the name!"
"Oh, duh! Hans, you're so smart."

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

CommieGIR posted:

Signed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dagen H posted:

Thank you.
I missed that earlier. Perfect.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

loving TPS sensor screw seized. Even though it had been in and out less than a day before.

Busted finger later, it's finally out. And two new, non torx screws replaced those loving piece of poo poo screws.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Unreal_One posted:

Well it is a documentary.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, What the gently caress is a "makerspace" that someone pays 250/month for.
Those are usually the larger corporate/for profit ones, like TechShop. High per-month cost, pay for classes/training, BUT they usually have newer stuff and things that the smaller shops can't afford.

My personal makerspace of choice is The Geek Group in Grand Rapids. $20 a month, free classes/training, and even though I'm in Detroit (~160 miles away), it's still cheaper to drive out there a few times a month and rent a hotel room for a night then to go to the local TechShop.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

Oh gently caress no. Trailer Park Boys is eastern Canada. They're weird as gently caress over there, they have milk in bags.

Western canada sounds like FUBAR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo5ZI9E7voY

Also like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
^ can confirm similarities for hoons that live north of the Fraser River.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was under the impression milk in bags was all of Canada

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's been available that way in all the parts of Canada I've lived.

Plastic gallon jugs are getting more common, though. When I was a kid it was bags or nothing.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Growing up in Ontario it was bags or nothing, haven't ever seen bagged milk in BC though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Milk bags are not horrible mechanical failures. However, I don't want to derail the derail too much, so have a picture involving a cow (ok, bull!) and a soon-to-be mechanical failure.