Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't like Dope at all so I'm not too broken up over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
drat, his last movie was dope.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe the industry should move to just announcing cast and crew once they start shooting.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Maybe they should, but until then: Tim Miller is now attached to produce a Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Movie news is the most tiring type of news.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The average person probably doesn't know anything until they see a trailer anyway.

BREAKING: Tim Miller has left Sonic the Hedgehog: Gotta Go Fast over creative differences. Inside sources say he and star Jaden Smith had a major disagreement over a key element of the film, which resulted in Miller storming off set screaming "SONIC'S ARMS ARE NOT BLUE!"

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 31, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Well that's a major step down

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

David Fincher is in talks this week to helm the 23rd project he will inevitably turn down this month.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

Well that's a major step down

I don't really see the difference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ctrl+H, "chimichanga", "chili dog" and.... done.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's about 15 years too late on a Sonic movie, at minimum.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's about 15 years too late on a Sonic movie, at minimum.

Sonic is decent to stellar on everything except games. Every Sonic game is terrible. The only thing it has going for it is the characters, story, and settings, so they might as well move it to movies now that the comics have been great for a few years now too.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Before anyone asks, yes, that one you played as a kid is bad too

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Every Sonic game is terrible.

I'm doing my Kevin Spacey in Superman Returns impression at my monitor right now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Genesis ones are fine. I didn't play anything after that. A lot of people like Sonic Adventure but it and its sequel don't look like much fun to me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Genesis ones are fine. I didn't play anything after that.

Actually

Raserys posted:

yes, that one you played as a kid is bad too

They were all sold on speed and kept putting enemies every two feet just off screen. Sonic from the very beginning was nothing but cold calculated marketing with the actual games afterthoughts, and by the time Sonic was a huge hit Sega was loving deluded about the actual quality of the series.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Even the best Sonic is basically one good level and three okay levels amid twenty terrible levels

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Whatever, idiots. I'm grabbing my fox and flying outta this thread.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Raserys posted:

Before anyone asks, yes, that one you played as a kid is bad too

Especially the ones I didn't play until I was 20 and thought were great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WickedHate posted:

Actually

They were all sold on speed and kept putting enemies every two feet just off screen. Sonic from the very beginning was nothing but cold calculated marketing with the actual games afterthoughts, and by the time Sonic was a huge hit Sega was loving deluded about the actual quality of the series.

This is exactly it. Also some catchy music on the first level. Sonic these days exists purely for weird creepy obsessives who make vids like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U0apQttNw0
or people who are obsessed with things from their youths that blind them to the over all crappiness of it.

Also early test footage of Sonic the Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCIUfek7y2M

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I sure do love dumb generalizations of fans of a video game franchise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

This is exactly it. Also some catchy music on the first level. Sonic these days exists purely for weird creepy obsessives who make vids like this

"She's attractive and is the size of an average human mother".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your parents didn't love you if they got you a Genesis.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

Your parents didn't love you if they got you a Genesis.
They didn't love if they gave you a Nintendo either, thank god my parents knew about the future and waited 12 years to give me a PS2 :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
these hot video game takes are killing me inside

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think the best way to describe Doctor Strange is if you put out Guardians of the Galaxy but made it 30% safer. There's some good stuff here and there but there's also just thick chunks that feel like "okay, stay with us here, there's white people on screen acting the way you know it and doing every day stuff plus reacting funnily to our Marvel Movies shenanigans" and there's a character made for children the cape is so gonna get its own toyline but, welp, I guess that worked because those bits got the biggest reaction from the crowd.

Saw it dubbed so I couldn't hear Benedict's slippery accent. I'd still say it's solid, the last twenty minutes in particular are amazing. Whenever it gets, well, Strange the movie becomes very enjoyable, but it can get super tiring whenever it starts leaning on Iron Man's script.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I expect it to play it safe, because they are introducing "yes, real MAGIC" and all the baggage that comes with that, and having anything else may scare and confuse the general movie going public.

I feel like becuase Guardians is at its heart a space opera and people are used to seeing that, it could go in more interesting ways because guys in space and crazy aliens and techno magical thingamajiggs are pretty well known. I mean I told non comic friends who have no interest in the other marvel films that GotG is basically Star Wars with a talking Raccoon and they loved it.

Lindsay Lohan dressed up as SS Harley for Halloween, I swear that is all that movie is going to remembered for. I feel like it will join Jurassic World in the "movies that were crazy popular for their release but quickly forgotten" bin.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

twistedmentat posted:

I expect it to play it safe, because they are introducing "yes, real MAGIC" and all the baggage that comes with that, and having anything else may scare and confuse the general movie going public.

The general movie going public love movies about magic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dan Didio posted:

The general movie going public love movies about magic.

Pssh, yeah right. Name one popular film franchise about magic. One!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phylodox posted:

Pssh, yeah right. Name one popular film franchise about magic. One!

The Wizard?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The magic of brotherly love doesn't count!

Also, one movie isn't a franchise!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I love the wizard. It's so bad.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

My friends and i had that trail of thought as we walked by posters of Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dope is great. Yall are buggin.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

WickedHate posted:

Every Sonic game is terrible.

Endless Mike posted:

Dope is great.

What the hell is going on here? This is madness.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's maybe one good Sonic game if you took a few levels from each of the least bad games and put them together

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

or people who are obsessed with things from their youths that blind them to the over all crappiness of it.

You should have labelled that link so I could grab myself a snack and a glass of orange juice before I clicked on it.

(Seriously, that somehow manages to be the weirdest line in a video ranking the hottest female Sonic the Hedgehog characters and I have no idea how it manages it.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 1, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I love Sonic 3 and Knuckles gently caress all y'all

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's like one Sonic game that rises to the level of "great" and the rest are mediocre to bad. About the best thing you can legitimately say about them is that they're better than most other 16-bit mascot platformers, which is a really low bar. It also managed to spawn one of the worst fandoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean

I can say a lot of things because opinions are varied and wonderful things

Also if anything else the last few years have proven Sonic fandom is weird and sad but harmless compared to a lot of the actual poo poo people out there

• Locked thread