Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

There are responses that outpace encounter cards but there is no action window during the staging phase nor when a shadow card is revealed. Most or all events that interact with shadow cards are responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Megasabin posted:

When can events be played in LOTR? Can they played in response to things like in MTG? As in if you have an event that is going to remove health and kill a hero, can you play the healing event to save the hero?

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/66624/clarified-turn-sequence-and-quick-reference-w-faqs

I like that player aid for timing windows

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Baron Porkface posted:

There are responses that outpace encounter cards but there is no action window during the staging phase nor when a shadow card is revealed. Most or all events that interact with shadow cards are responses.

Note that there are Actions which do interact with shadow cards, such as Gandalf's Staff, and those only "work" if the shadow hasn't already done its thing. E.g. Gandalf's Staff can't stop "defending player loses an attachment" since that happens immediately, but it can stop "guy gets +2" or "guy attacks after this" because those only matter later.

It is often a good idea to prepare for the staging step by e.g. healing with Warden of Healing ahead of time or somehow giving a resource to a spirit hero to be able to pay for Test of Will, because you don't get an opportunity to play those actions until all the cards are staged (unless an attack occurs in the middle of staging, in which case you can do actions before and after declaring your defender).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GoT people.

LoCR looks like it might enable or introduce some new deck archetypes.

Tyrion and an ambush-based deck could be fun. Might flesh out that Leaping Lions deck. Mountains off the moon grants extra icons to push through unexpected challenges.

Tywin looks like he might enable a mega pillage deck. Probably banner Kraken? Crown of salt and rock on Asha?

What do you guys think?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ConfusedUs posted:

Tyrion and an ambush-based deck could be fun. Might flesh out that Leaping Lions deck.

My plan is to combine these two into something interesting.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

but it can stop "guy gets +2" or "guy attacks after this" because those only matter later.

I don't see the basis for this. As far as I understand revealing the shadow card and swinging is one motion; and that Gandalf's Staff is primarily useful to discard facedown shadow cards.

edit; i guess the player chart says i'm wrong.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't see the basis for this. As far as I understand revealing the shadow card and swinging is one motion; and that Gandalf's Staff is primarily useful to discard facedown shadow cards.

edit; i guess the player chart says i'm wrong.

I imagine a lot of people got this wrong, I did for about six months. It also means that when an enemy has their Attack boosted, you can play corresponding Defense increasing abilities. So you can move a Dunedain Warning or wait until you know you need to discard to trigger your Longbeard Sentry.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ring-Maker Cycle or LotR Saga?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think the campaign boxes are really cool if you're a big fan of the books, but I think the scenarios are more creative in the non-saga cycles.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've just drawn 2 Roast 'Em or Boil 'Em, the same turn I was going to engage and kill William. gently caress this game. :mad:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

theroachman posted:

Just did my first few test games of LOTR with only the core set. I have tried every deck except tactics so far. Only won one game (leadership), everything else was a loss. Spirit seems strong but I got location swamped. Once the Hummerhorns came out I lost a hero and I threated out real fast. This game is super brutal.

Hummerhorns is specifically and deliberately complete bullshit you have to hope to avoid.

Lazy, unfun design that they don't 100% get away from unfortunately.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like FFG is selling a special edition hardcover book about their version of the Arkham setting that includes lots of random things including a pre-release copy of a future Investigator and their personal cards for the Arkham LCG.

Kind of strange, but for anyone who is really into the FFG games you might be interested?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Hmm... for some reason I thought that the LotR Saga was already completed. Any idea how many boxes are left? I'm guessing a total of 6, 2 for each book, but I can't find anything from FFG.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Samurai posted:

Hmm... for some reason I thought that the LotR Saga was already completed. Any idea how many boxes are left? I'm guessing a total of 6, 2 for each book, but I can't find anything from FFG.

They haven't decided yet. Depends on how they want to do the scouring of the shire (real box or lovely print on demand supplement), which depends on how bothered the designers are now they have their new toy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Looks like FFG is selling a special edition hardcover book about their version of the Arkham setting that includes lots of random things including a pre-release copy of a future Investigator and their personal cards for the Arkham LCG.

Kind of strange, but for anyone who is really into the FFG games you might be interested?

I'd have bought Worlds of Android if it had a third Desperado :argh:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
After almost two weeks of waiting (my LGS's distributor dropped the ball), I finally have all the Game of Thrones expansions! So many deckbuilding options! In the meantime I threw together some decks from ThronesDb that seemed fun. I'm shying away from Lannister because I dislike playing the most popular faction.

Where's the best place to go for GoT strategy talk?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

sassassin posted:

They haven't decided yet. Depends on how they want to do the scouring of the shire (real box or lovely print on demand supplement), which depends on how bothered the designers are now they have their new toy.

LOL. So you hate all the POD stuff too? How mad are about Mumak riding in Harad?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

After almost two weeks of waiting (my LGS's distributor dropped the ball), I finally have all the Game of Thrones expansions! So many deckbuilding options! In the meantime I threw together some decks from ThronesDb that seemed fun. I'm shying away from Lannister because I dislike playing the most popular faction.

Where's the best place to go for GoT strategy talk?

This Facebook group is pretty good, lots of discussion if you scroll past all the products people make and podcast posts. There's seriously like 20 AGoT 2.0 podcasts and they're all loving awful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/agot2ndedition/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pbpancho posted:

LOL. So you hate all the POD stuff too? How mad are about Mumak riding in Harad?

???

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Aren't you the guy that was complaining about the boats in the current cycle? And do you really think the POD quests are lovely?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Worlds 2016 for AGoT2 is interesting. Here's the top 16:

Saman N.B. (Austria) Lanni KoW
Tupaq C. (Finland) Bara KoS
Henri N. (France) Lanni LotC
Sam Braatz (USA - WI) Targ LotC
Joe MIrando (USA - NY) Lanni Wolf
Ryan Jones (USA - SoCal) Lanni Stag
Tomasz F. (Poland) Targ Fealty
Brad Norman (USA - NorCal) Lanni KoW
S. Simoni (USA - NorCal) NW LotC
Brad Emon (USA - WI) NW Lion
Giovanni B. F. (Italy) Targ Fealty
Carsten P. (Germany) Targ LotC
Lucas Sydlaske (USA - SoCal) Bara Watch
Alejandro Pantoja (USA - NorCal) Lanni KoW
Ryan Wood (UK) NW Fealty
Ray Nerpel (USA - TX) Bara KoS

Six Lannister
Four Targaryen
Three Baratheon
Three Night's Watch

I'm not surprised at all that Lannister and Targ are up there, but I had no idea that Bara and NW were that strong these days. I thought we'd be seeing Stark and maybe Greyjoy instead.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nights Watch is the community's favorite to win it all according to the poll FFG did. They got like 40%+ of the vote. I think their gold choke can shut down everyone when it gets rolling, and that probably gives them the edge on Lannister that typically runs more 7 costs than any other house. Lannister was the main faction in decks by a large margin. I'm really surprised to see zero Martell or Greyjoy in the top 16, who are both in a pretty good spot right now.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm not surprised to see NW up there at all. Craven is so freaking annoyingly good. Thoren is also a huge boost to pure defense decks.

I think the novelty of the Stark box wore off and people were not impressed with the moving power around theme which sucks if you have no power, or the blowing your guys up to do stuff theme.

Greyjoy is not doing well at the moment in my mind. There's too much gold in the meta for them to rush effectively and they're going to be hurting until Valar comes along and they get a solid board wipe that they can save around. Valar reveal, save with Risen and SeaStone Chair to get around 0 claim is going to be some brutal stuff to deal with.

Martell needs more tricks on Characters and less event cards.

Tyrell needs more tricks in general.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 3, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tyrell really need some good characters. They have the framework, but no characters to get behind to make it work.

Stark sacrifice and Greyjoy LotC are two of my favorite decks, sad to see zero of them in the cut.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pbpancho posted:

Aren't you the guy that was complaining about the boats in the current cycle? And do you really think the POD quests are lovely?

I think the pod system would be a lovely way to do the scouring compared to a full box, if that's what you're asking.

I have no objection to Mumak riding in the game because Tolkien didn't write about it so it doesn't have specific thematic relevance in the story. I'm not going to buy it because it doesn't interest me at all.

By contrast, Adventures on the High Seas is as a concept incongruous with The Lord of the Rings. So I'm mad as hell.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Worlds 2016 for AGoT2 is interesting. Here's the top 16:

I'm not up on the tournament scene yet. Is this streamed anywhere?

Edit: https://www.twitch.tv/ffglive

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bottom Liner posted:

Nights Watch is the community's favorite to win it all according to the poll FFG did. They got like 40%+ of the vote. I think their gold choke can shut down everyone when it gets rolling, and that probably gives them the edge on Lannister that typically runs more 7 costs than any other house. Lannister was the main faction in decks by a large margin. I'm really surprised to see zero Martell or Greyjoy in the top 16, who are both in a pretty good spot right now.

Night Watch choke is that good, eh? I've tried it a few times and I guess I'm just bad, because I never felt like I was doing it right.

A buddy of mine was the top Martell player, but in the low 20s overall. I can't imagine playing against the people who beat him, because he just destroys everyone he plays locally.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ConfusedUs posted:

Night Watch choke is that good, eh? I've tried it a few times and I guess I'm just bad, because I never felt like I was doing it right.

A buddy of mine was the top Martell player, but in the low 20s overall. I can't imagine playing against the people who beat him, because he just destroys everyone he plays locally.

I've been taking various forms of it to tournaments since White Tree came out and it's super good. I don't know if it should be an overwhelming favorite to win but it's definitely top 2 or 3.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can you post a list for NW Choke? I'm curious to see how it works since I feel that it would be very dependent on White Tree (and I guess Craven, but I imagine that will get Confiscated super quick).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
It sounds like a lot of people opted out on Confiscation at Worlds though, which is surprising to me (purely anecdotal though, haven't actually seen lists yet). You generally DO expect to see Craven get removed though, at least initially, and I think between Arry and/or Ravens the idea is trying to ensure you have a follow up to really shut them down.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Merauder posted:

It sounds like a lot of people opted out on Confiscation at Worlds though, which is surprising to me (purely anecdotal though, haven't actually seen lists yet). You generally DO expect to see Craven get removed though, at least initially, and I think between Arry and/or Ravens the idea is trying to ensure you have a follow up to really shut them down.

I've slowly moved towards other attachment removal (Rattleshirts usually) because Confiscation often feels like a wasted plot to me.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

They had better post deck lists at some point, I want to play test this weekend in prep for my LGS's Battle For The Trident tourney.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ConfusedUs posted:

I've slowly moved towards other attachment removal (Rattleshirts usually) because Confiscation often feels like a wasted plot to me.

I want to like Rattleshirts, but they cost a not-inconsiderable 5 and sometimes you want that guarantee that this annoying attachment will get removed. There are just too many conditions around a Rattleshirts, like drawing them, being able to play them, and obviously winning a challenge with them, that make them hard to rely on to remove potentially critical attachments.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

They had better post deck lists at some point, I want to play test this weekend in prep for my LGS's Battle For The Trident tourney.

They'll all be up on Thronesdb by next week.

Rattleshirts is strong if you have a slot for it, but I still really like Confiscation in Targ and Lannister.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GrandpaPants posted:

I want to like Rattleshirts, but they cost a not-inconsiderable 5 and sometimes you want that guarantee that this annoying attachment will get removed. There are just too many conditions around a Rattleshirts, like drawing them, being able to play them, and obviously winning a challenge with them, that make them hard to rely on to remove potentially critical attachments.

That was always my feeling about them. They just don't seem consistent enough since typically when there's an attachment you want removed, it's because it's causing serious pain.

Also I'd like to see a breakdown of turnout numbers in general. I'm wondering if part of the skew in top 16 isn't just based on what people were playing vs. what's "best". Also I'm not sure how much stock they put into it, but it can't be a good look for FFG from a balance standpoint to have only 4 factions represented in the top 16 (even though there's likely a ton of caveats to the placements).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I think having 4 of 8 houses in the top 16 is a sign of an INCREDIBLY healthy metagame currently. How many card games see more than 2 or 3 archtypes make a cut at a major event? For 4 different factions, plus differences in Agenda within each changing how each plays (in some cases substantially), I'd say that's pretty awesome.

e: Apparently 164 players total. Stark was the second most represented main house in the event, but none made 16. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10108437907522560&set=gm.1306513796028122&type=3&theater

Merauder fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 3, 2016

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Merauder posted:

I think having 4 of 8 houses in the top 16 is a sign of an INCREDIBLY healthy metagame currently. How many card games see more than 2 or 3 archtypes make a cut at a major event? For 4 different factions, plus differences in Agenda within each changing how each plays (in some cases substantially), I'd say that's pretty awesome.

e: Apparently 164 players total. Stark was the second most represented main house in the event, but none made 16. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10108437907522560&set=gm.1306513796028122&type=3&theater

Magic frequently does, especially if you go to top 16 (and that's with magic not really having the corollary to factions-colors are kinda it but not really). The times when there's not much variety is when people typically start complaining about the format being stale/stagnant. That said, I think it could be more an appearance thing as I think Martell's still pretty well positioned, and Greyjoy's close to being able to compete (they can still randomly blitz through anyone imo, but it's hard to do that through larger fields with more rounds). And I thought Stark was in a better position but being the second most played house and not cracking top 16 is kinda suspect.

I've been saying for a couple months now that I think they need to start looking at a restricted list, although I think Valar should shake things up a bit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't think the game needs a restricted list yet, and as mentioned the meta is very self-fufilling in this (relatively small) community, but there isn't enough data and the game is so deep that it's hard to really measure power levels this early in the lifespan. Just look at worlds last year where everyone agreed that Martell was the weakest house yet the Martell player won it all. The tournament scene is also unique in that it's a card game but the matches are all best of 1's, increasing variance's role in rankings.

I think the 4 main houses in the top 16 is fine, especially since the agenda's are so varied.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I agree with the meta being somewhat self-fulfilling, but I think there's definitely been enough data at this point to have some clear idea of power level. I don't think it's out of bounds to say that Lanni is easily the best faction, and Tyrell the worst. Also last year at worlds I thought NW and Tyrell were considered the worst-and it's just been recent releases for NW that have boosted them significantly.

Also, I don't think agendas being varied really makes much of a difference if those agendas aren't letting other factions compete. If the same 30+ cards are in each deck and they play out the same besides 5-10 cards, it's really not variety.

But it's still relatively early and at a point where a couple chapter packs can definitely swing a faction (look at NW, for instance) so I don't think it's too unbalanced, but think it's something that should be monitored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Also, I don't think agendas being varied really makes much of a difference if those agendas aren't letting other factions compete. If the same 30+ cards are in each deck and they play out the same besides 5-10 cards, it's really not variety.

Compared to most other competitive card games, it absolutely is. Most deck lists are so standardized that you will see zero variation in a lot of games. That's one of my favorite things about this game actually. The deck building space seems much wider than other games.