Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Has anyone came across this ? ( http://i.imgur.com/3fegGp7.jpg ) my internal storage is nearly fully taken up by "inaccessible files". When I delete apps/files or move apps/files to the sd card the storage is not freed up it simply becomes "inaccessible".

I've already had to system restore to get around this but it's just happening again and I'm totally at a loss.

Model: Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Android version 6.0.1 (same issue occurred under previous versions)

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to stop it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you tried Opera? It's got built-in ad-blocking. It still won't be as smooth as Safari but it's elegant enough.

I downloaded an open source app called DNS66, it's been working pretty well blocking most ads, at least in the browser.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Ragingsheep posted:

Opera got bought out by a shady Chinese company. I would avoid it.

Is it seriously dodgy? :smith:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is it seriously dodgy? :smith:

I'd call it a questionable company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qihoo_360#Controversies

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Kaveman posted:

Has anyone came across this ? ( http://i.imgur.com/3fegGp7.jpg ) my internal storage is nearly fully taken up by "inaccessible files". When I delete apps/files or move apps/files to the sd card the storage is not freed up it simply becomes "inaccessible".

I've already had to system restore to get around this but it's just happening again and I'm totally at a loss.

Model: Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Android version 6.0.1 (same issue occurred under previous versions)

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to stop it?

Install Diskusage and see if that helps narrow down what the files are. I would guess system files and system update files?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
For anybody else on T-Mobile, they added Simple Choice plans with unlimited data to the Pixel offer. After verifying my eligibility with their support folks, I went to their promotions site and used promo code PIXEL, put in my IMEI and uploaded my receipt from the Google store, and I was done. I should have my credit showing up in a couple of billing cycles.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
20% off new phones (include Pixel and Pixel XL) at Verizon. Requires you to buy it on their payment plan. Came out to $174 off a 128gb XL (less $20 for Verizon's stupid "upgrade fee").

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/10/31/deal-verizon-20-off-pixel-iphone-galaxy/

Estimated ship date of a 128gb XL from Verizon is December 9, for whatever that's worth.

Iceman2343
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Job.

incogneato posted:

20% off new phones (include Pixel and Pixel XL) at Verizon. Requires you to buy it on their payment plan. Came out to $174 off a 128gb XL (less $20 for Verizon's stupid "upgrade fee").

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/10/31/deal-verizon-20-off-pixel-iphone-galaxy/

Estimated ship date of a 128gb XL from Verizon is December 9, for whatever that's worth.

drat, I just placed my order a couple of hours ago. I will call them tomorrow to see if they can adjust it (I do have a corporate discount so I am not sure if they can.)

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

New update for the droid turbo. Just got a survey. Probably just a security patch though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Is there a good way to test how much life is left in a battery? My Nexus 5 is starting to feel pretty short-lived, but I'd like to confirm it before I either get a new phone or take a crack at replacing the battery.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Are there reputable places that do battery replacement for you? I have an old phone I'd like to fix up as a test device, but I don't know that I have the guts to do it myself.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Kinda want to sell my 5X and go on Project Fi with a relatively cheap monthly payment for the Pixel :smugdroid:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TenaciousTomato posted:

Kinda want to sell my 5X and go on Project Fi with a relatively cheap monthly payment for the Pixel :smugdroid:

Do it, you fool!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Ordered a 32 for myself and the GF ordered a 128 about two hours after the event, she was placed on the Nov waiting list as well, I assume they just rushed release for the 'significance' of the day.

Also, my Pixel is loving amazing. Only thing I'm not impressed with is the Google Store phone cases, they feel overpriced for what they are.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'm still looking for a decent case for my XL. Someone find something.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

nimper posted:

Do it, you fool!

Ya but I got my 5X for $200. It's kind of slow sometimes and I really want a SUPREME camera, though :(

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So there was someone in the thread earlier who mentioned that they had an issue with FedEx claiming they delivered their Pixel, but they never actually received the package. Well, apparently someone else is having their own bad luck with FedEx and Pixels.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/5ajoig/my_pixel_was_stolen_out_of_the_box_in_transit/

They got the package, but the Pixel was apparently stolen out of the box...twice.

schmagekie
Dec 2, 2003

Moey posted:

Does anyone make cases that can hold a couple credit cards?

Edit: not a wallet.

schmagekie fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 1, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

schmagekie posted:

Does anyone make cases that can hold a couple credit cards?

There are tons of those kind of cases, check Amazon!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I don't like cases on my phones, but my Pixel has slipped out of my pocket twice, putting two small dents into the corners. It is ridiculously slippery.

I ordered a clear Spigen case off Amazon for less than $20, we'll see how it is.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Luchadork posted:

So there was someone in the thread earlier who mentioned that they had an issue with FedEx claiming they delivered their Pixel, but they never actually received the package. Well, apparently someone else is having their own bad luck with FedEx and Pixels.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/5ajoig/my_pixel_was_stolen_out_of_the_box_in_transit/

They got the package, but the Pixel was apparently stolen out of the box...twice.

Google putting their name on these packages right when a new phone comes out is dumb. And then not requiring a signature in my case. Can we make them any more stealable?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nocal posted:

I don't like cases on my phones, but my Pixel has slipped out of my pocket twice, putting two small dents into the corners. It is ridiculously slippery.

I ordered a clear Spigen case off Amazon for less than $20, we'll see how it is.

Grip tape. :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Moey posted:

I'm using a temp right now, but my diztronic shipped this morning. Should work great as a permanent case.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

but my diztronic shipped this morning

Mine did too, I'll probably have it in my hands for weeks before Google decides to give Canada some phones :v:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh man I was just going to keep using my 6p but $325 credit with T-Mobile, interest free financing, and getting $300 for the 6p makes it almost a no brainer. Why oh why are you out of stock Google

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

nocal posted:

I have the Spigen liquid clear case for my normal Pixel to slip on if I'm in a situation that I feel I would need a case. It fits well and is pretty slim. I'm happy with it.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
I have a tech21 on mine. It's not the most elegant looking but I had one on my old phone and I dropped that fucker in parking lots more times than I can count and my phone never once cracked.

Plus it's clear so I can see the blue.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I ordered a Live case but that was apparently stupid of me since I assumed it was the same tri-material design as the colored cases Google is offering. It seems like just having the clip-on plastic shell won't actually protect the phone from much of anythng...

Thinking I'll cancel the order when I get home.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
For people who’ve gone from iOS to android, how painful is it to move over data from the iPhone to an Android phone? A lot of my music has been purchased through iTunes, and the iOS 10 music app on iPhones is total garbage. I tried out android a few years ago and wasn’t crazy on it, and wasn’t a big fan of the music apps available, but now that iPhone’s music app is kind of crap (and i mostly use pandora / listen to podcasts nowadays anyways) I’m considering switching over to Android. However, it would be nice to not lose a lot of my music.

Also, I work with smartphones at my work and am fond of the Pixel, but I’m on a nice AT&T plan (unlimited data) and would not be crazy on switching over to Verizon. I know I could just buy a pixel from Google to use with my plan, but I wouldn’t be super opposed to switching over. Anyone know of any way to do some kind of payment plan for it on AT&T so I don’t gotta drop all the cash for it up-front? I guess I could just use a credit card and pay it monthly that way :v:

Also, the most important question: what're people's opinions on the Pixel's colors? All I've messed around with is the black one, but silver looks nice, and blue is just confusing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CodfishCartographer posted:

I guess I could just use a credit card and pay it monthly that way :v:
Don't carry a balance on your credit card; especially for a new toy.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Google's store has a financing option. If I understand correctly, it's a credit card you can only use at the Google Store but it has 0% interest.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Also, I work with smartphones at my work and am fond of the Pixel, but I’m on a nice AT&T plan (unlimited data) and would not be crazy on switching over to Verizon. I know I could just buy a pixel from Google to use with my plan, but I wouldn’t be super opposed to switching over. Anyone know of any way to do some kind of payment plan for it on AT&T so I don’t gotta drop all the cash for it up-front? I guess I could just use a credit card and pay it monthly that way :v:

You can apply for financing on it from Google, there's no need to switch providers to get monthly payments.

Although I think Verizon is doing some kind of cash bonus for switching right now?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Inspector_666 posted:

You can apply for financing on it from Google, there's no need to switch providers to get monthly payments.

Although I think Verizon is doing some kind of cash bonus for switching right now?

He wouldn't lose his unlimited data plan moving to Verizon which he wants to avoid.

But yeah, just use Google financing. 0% 24 month financing on stuff from Google store.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wish there was a symmetry case for the Pixel

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just got a Pixel XL 32gb Black on the google store. GOGOGOGO while they are in stock.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Motherfucker. Canada Play Store finally has 128gb XLs but they're only in silver. I need black gently caress you google

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Motherfucker. Canada Play Store finally has 128gb XLs but they're only in silver. I need black gently caress you google

Grip tape

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not fully Android, but got a tracking number on my Google Home already from Target. Should be here in a couple days.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The pixel owns and I'm happy more goons are going to get theirs soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

For people who’ve gone from iOS to android, how painful is it to move over data from the iPhone to an Android phone? A lot of my music has been purchased through iTunes, and the iOS 10 music app on iPhones is total garbage. I tried out android a few years ago and wasn’t crazy on it, and wasn’t a big fan of the music apps available, but now that iPhone’s music app is kind of crap (and i mostly use pandora / listen to podcasts nowadays anyways) I’m considering switching over to Android. However, it would be nice to not lose a lot of my music.

Just copy and paste it into your Music folder on the phone and use Power Amp or Play. As long as there's no Apple DRM, in which case you're poo poo out of luck.