Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That's what lightflow is for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just got to mess with my coworker's Nexu Pixel and it's a really nice phone overall. Really nice speed, feel, screen, etc. The top and bottom bezels are too big and I fail to see how it's $400 better than the OP3 but it's a solid device and hopefully they are sucessful with the new branding. Except...he was told at the Verizon store that the Pixel is only sold by, and only works on, Verizon. :q:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Any LG V20 owners out there? Loving the hell out of mine so far. :discourse:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Syrinxx posted:

Just got to mess with my coworker's Nexu Pixel and it's a really nice phone overall. Really nice speed, feel, screen, etc. The top and bottom bezels are too big and I fail to see how it's $400 better than the OP3 but it's a solid device and hopefully they are sucessful with the new branding. Except...he was told at the Verizon store that the Pixel is only sold by, and only works on, Verizon. :q:

Well, I mean technically the "sold only by Verizon" could be sort of true in that Verizon is the only carrier store that sells it. It just happens to be available straight from the manufacturer!

The "only works on" Verizon is pure and utter bullshit and it is actually somewhat amusing to hear Verizon reps say that. I kind of wish I could hear one say that so I could correct them.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Khisanth Magus posted:

The "only works on" Verizon is pure and utter bullshit and it is actually somewhat amusing to hear Verizon reps say that. I kind of wish I could hear one say that so I could correct them.

It matches the current advertising pitch from Google and Verizon. All the Pixel ads say "only on Verizon" with no clarification that it's also available from Google directly.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I need to replace my dying S4 and have been looking at getting the S7 Edge as an upgrade.

I'm on Sprint, and don't think I'll be leaving the carrier any time over the next few years, but would prefer to simply buy the phone up-front so I'm not locked into an agreement/leasing thing.

Does it matter if I purchase the new phone through a Sprint store, a big box like Best Buy or buy it online? Where am I likely to find the best deal?

Anything else I need to do with my S4 before I make the switch? I'm thinking factory reset at least, but it's been a while.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Despite the revisionist history around here, there were pages and pages of bitching about the pixel up until people actually started getting their hands on them in this thread too.
There was bitching about the price beforehand, and bitching abut the price and the lack of qi/waterproofing afterward. Show me where people were bitching about hardware specs. The only semi-legit complaint is 1080p on the 5" pixel.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Show me where people were bitching about hardware specs.
Why don't you do your own searching? Just start at the release date and look for posts like this:

Nitrousoxide posted:

... it is underspeced for the price point.
Easy. Or god forbid, go into the event thread.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I took this on my walk to work today. Seriously happy with this camera.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Wouldn't be the Android thread unless we rehash the same poo poo over and over every 5 pages.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I just wish Google would let me buy one. The only option for the XL appears to be to join a wait list. Or am I missing the One Weird Trick for ordering one?

I don't suppose there have been any rumors about when they'll be available again?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incogneato posted:

I just wish Google would let me buy one. The only option for the XL appears to be to join a wait list. Or am I missing the One Weird Trick for ordering one?

I don't suppose there have been any rumors about when they'll be available again?

No idea. There's still no 128GB stock in Canada and we're coming up to a month since release date. This is honestly pretty hilariously poo poo of Google, I don't understand how they haven't figured out stock issues. It's not that they're popular and have sold out, at no point in the last month have 128GB models ever existed to be bought in Canada according to anyone I've asked (Best Buys, carrier stores, carrier corporate sales reps, etc). According to our Rogers rep, they've never gotten any and the entire waitlist is still intact and unchanged.

vvvv read my post, it has nothing to do with them being sold out due to being popular with ex-Note7 owners, stock hasn't existed at all in any quantity for the 128GB model

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 31, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Google should have realized Samsung's Note 7 would go up in flames and their entire audience would want Pixels. Fuckers.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

RZA Encryption posted:

I took this on my walk to work today. Seriously happy with this camera.

That's real good. I've been happy with the 6p's camera, but that's great. Makes me excited for the Pixel 2 next year since I'll be due a new phone about then.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, I remember replying to at least one person saying it didn't have the specs to match a "high-end" phone, which baffled me.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It is possible that just maybe specs refers to things other than storage, RAM, and CPU.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, the only thing the normal Pixel has over my 5X is the newer SoC, which might translate into longer battery life time, and maybe a better camera (I kept hearing that for a while on the Nexuses, so I'm not going to fall for it). That's not enough. I paid 430€ plus postage for the 32GB 5X the day it was available. I'm not sure why I should pay estimated 700€ (or more) for basically an aluminium case instead of plastic.

This is a good, thorough example of what people are talking about when they refer to posts about the Pixel saying "It isn't worth the price with those specs."

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So since Google pixel looks kind of like a poo poo value proposition, how is the one plus 3?

Have a nexus 5 I'm thinking of replacing soon. Other options?

This one's a little hyperbolic, but more in line with some of the more TVIV-style posts in the release event thread, replete with one guy just posting "IT'S poo poo!"

Granted, a couple goons were talking specifically about IP factor, but there was a huge amount of complaining about how the price wasn't justifying the difference from their current phones or even justifying the difference from purchasing a new 5X/6P. The Android thread has plenty of "must defend my purchase" posting so maybe it was preemptive "poo poo, I bought my phone a year ago and want another year out of it before dropping $800+ on a new phone and that's like a purchase so I need to defend that decision" posting.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 31, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

The Android thread has plenty of "must defend my purchase" posting so maybe it was preemptive "poo poo, I bought my phone a year ago and want another year out of it before dropping $800+ on a new phone and that's like a purchase so I need to defend that decision" posting.

Nah, I think it's more that from the presentation, it didn't seem like much of an upgrade, especially with people being skeptical about it's main strong points (camera, responsiveness, battery) after multiple years of Nexuses that claimed to have finally really for sure focused on having a great camera and strong battery life and responsiveness like an iPhone. Are you surprised people weren't giving Google the benefit of the doubt this time? Now it's out and apparently Google actually did fulfill all that, and people are recommending it strongly. I don't see the problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'd just like to point out that the Pixel seems to be as good as I said it probably would turn out to be during the event thread. :colbert:

This means no one can question me about anything ever again.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is there anybody in the thread who has used both a Pixel and a OnePlus 3?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No because only people who min-max spec sheets buy OnePluses.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Any jumpers from the iPhone 6 or 6S get a Pixel? It looks like a great little phone but wanted some thoughts from previous iOS users.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NihilCredo posted:

Is there anybody in the thread who has used both a Pixel and a OnePlus 3?

Lol what kind of walking paradox would buy a OnePlus phone but later buy a Pixel?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

FAUXTON posted:

Lol what kind of walking paradox would buy a OnePlus phone but later buy a Pixel?

Well, you yourself quoted a post from a goon who was actively considering both, so it's not that far fetched, especially considering goons' unyielding hatred of money.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Google's phones have always sold out at launch. There should be plenty of stock for anyone who wants one in a couple of weeks, hopefully in time for Black Friday.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

cage-free egghead posted:

Any jumpers from the iPhone 6 or 6S get a Pixel? It looks like a great little phone but wanted some thoughts from previous iOS users.

I went from an iPhone 6s to a Google Pixel. The camera alone is a big upgrade. I'm not new to Android though. My first couple of phones were Android and I owned a Nexus 4,5, and 5x. The problem was it always was some form of compromise. Either you had great hardware (Samsung) or great software (Nexus) but never really both. I always kinda missed Android while I was using iPhones so I was really looking forward to the first proper Google phone and the Pixel didn't disappoint.

Some things are still better on the iPhone but other things are better on the Pixel so you gotta know what matters more to you I guess. I don't think we will ever get the "perfect" phone.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bronin posted:

Some things are still better on the iPhone but other things are better on the Pixel so you gotta know what matters more to you I guess. I don't think we will ever get the "perfect" phone.

What do you find the iPhone does better than the Pixel?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Endless Mike posted:

No because only people who min-max spec sheets buy OnePluses.

Paging the Eve-O thread for phone preferences itt

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What do you find the iPhone does better than the Pixel?

Small things like tapping the top notification bar to scroll all the way up. Then there's ad blocking. Safari ad blocking is really simple, effective and fast. I'm using Firefox with ublock origin right now but safari is a lot faster and smoother. The most important thing is backups though. I really hope Google implements a similar backup approach in the near future.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bronin posted:

Small things like tapping the top notification bar to scroll all the way up. Then there's ad blocking. Safari ad blocking is really simple, effective and fast. I'm using Firefox with ublock origin right now but safari is a lot faster and smoother. The most important thing is backups though. I really hope Google implements a similar backup approach in the near future.

All valid points. Prepare for a bunch of people telling you which hoops to jump through to get something similar while missing the point that the hoops shouldn't exist.

Tap the top to scroll up is something I'd love. At least the twitter app does it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

incogneato posted:

A batch went available on Friday to people on the wait list. You should join it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

KS posted:

A batch went available on Friday to people on the wait list. You should join it.

That's good to hear, thanks! I did join the wait list a week or two ago.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bronin posted:

I think the interesting thing (as someone who has jumped between platforms multiple times), the Pixel seriously narrows the gap between the two. Must of the gripes about Android on the Pixel are secondary to the process of using the phone, aside from Google's messaging cluster.

I had a 6s+ and am now on an XL and I wouldn't go back.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Desk Lamp posted:

Google's phones have always sold out at launch. There should be plenty of stock for anyone who wants one in a couple of weeks, hopefully in time for Black Friday.

I had no problem ordering a 32 gig XL the day after launch and got it right away. Only the 128 gig is hard to find.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 31, 2016

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I had no problem ordering a 32 gig XL the day after launch and got it right away. Only the 128 gig is hard to find.

I ordered one 32GB XL and one 128 GB XL on launch day and I am still waiting. I wish there was some kind of indication of when it was really going to ship.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I asked a while back if there was a way to group app notification icons in the status bar on Marshmallow. Someone mentioned it was a feature for Nougat. Can anyone confirm that it is indeed in Nougat? I'll wait for the S7 to get Nougat if that is indeed the case, otherwise I'll find an app to do it hopefully. Sick of having like 4 instagram icons at the top of my status bar constantly.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bronin posted:

Have you tried Opera? It's got built-in ad-blocking. It still won't be as smooth as Safari but it's elegant enough.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Desk Lamp posted:

I ordered mine two days before launch and am not expected to get it until November 23rd. :smith:

I just assumed they were on backorder or something but hearing people ordering them after me and already having them in hand is kind of confusing.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Stan Taylor posted:

I ordered mine two days before launch and am not expected to get it until November 23rd. :smith:

I just assumed they were on backorder or something but hearing people ordering them after me and already having them in hand is kind of confusing.

People who ordered one and activated service through Project Fi seem to have priority in shipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you tried Opera? It's got built-in ad-blocking. It still won't be as smooth as Safari but it's elegant enough.

Opera got bought out by a shady Chinese company. I would avoid it.