Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

cult member at airport posted:

I'm feeling confident about the White House and even optimistic for the Senate but extremely pessimistic for the next 4 years. Republicans are going to be shitheads as always and the Deplorables will be more empowered than ever :smith:.

Maybe go out and vote Democrat again in 2 years. Tell your friends to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Roland Jones posted:

So California's attempting to pressure states with anti-LGBT laws now:

More in the link.

Not sure how it'll work out, but, we'll see I guess.

That's pretty awesome!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just feel like we're still losing lead and it's a race to see if the clock or our lead runs out first.

Probably irrational.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Looks like the Post is picking up the "Comey didn't want to name Russia" story now.

Link

quote:

Nonetheless, Comey’ s concern about election timing has some officials scratching their heads in light of his decision last week to notify Congress — 11 days before the election — that the FBI was planning to review newly discovered emails in the investigation of Hillary Clinton’s email server.

That notification set off an uproar in both parties, as lawmakers demanded to know what was in the emails and whether there was any indication of criminal wrongdoing.

“It’s really hard to square” the two, said one official, who like several others spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk about internal discussions.

Comey’s reluctance to have the FBI linked to the public attribution was first reported by CNBC.

It didn't make the front page of the physical paper though. An article about the disturbing price hikes for insulin did make it below the fold.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Feelss like I'm waiting another week for cancer surgery.

I should be relieved that this will all be over soon and the doc is saying there should be no realistic chance of complications, but there's still an underlying anxiety to the whole situation. Let's just get this over with already.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So say we did have irrefutable proof that Trump is controlled by Russia, and everyone in the country knew about it.

What would be his share of the vote? 33%? 32?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gort posted:

So say we did have irrefutable proof that Trump is controlled by Russia, and everyone in the country knew about it.

44. I'm pretty convinced this is going to end up coming down entirely to motivation to vote and partisan hardening.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gort posted:

He'd lose 3-5 points. 80% of his voters are fully inside his camp. They're reacting to any such accusations with perfect disbelief. "The (((government))) is trying to stop our man, that means he's right!"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

canepazzo posted:

ABC/WaPo poll in 2012:

code:
                              Other    Neither     No
              Obama   Romney   (vol.)   (vol.)    opinion
11/4/12  LV    50       47        1        *         1
11/3/12  LV    49       48        2        1         2
11/2/12  LV    48       48        1        1         2
11/1/12  LV    48       49        1        1         1
10/31/12 LV    49       48        1        1         1
Reminds you of anything?

That was a legit close election without a lot of undecideds though!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Well yes Trump is a sleeper agent from Moscow. But remember we need that SCOTUS seat to undo gay marriage, make abortion illegal, destroy all labor protections, allow companies to get around all safety and environmental regulations, protect the Constitution. Also he's going to cut taxes so you have to think long term about the good of the country and vote Trump regardless" every Moderate Republican.

Also half of the Trumpsters wouldn't believe it and the other half would suddenly start talking about how being ruled by Putin via proxy would be a great thing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Radish posted:

"Well yes Trump is a sleeper agent from Moscow. But remember we need that SCOTUS seat to undo gay marriage, make abortion illegal, destroy all labor protections, allow companies to get around all safety and environmental regulations, protect the Constitution. Also he's going to cut taxes so you have to think long term about the good of the country and vote Trump regardless" every Moderate Republican.

The less "moderate" ones are all about worshiping Putin for his right wing tough guy act, so they'd be all for it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bhsman posted:

I'm curious to know which goons have already voted or if anyone prefers going on Election Day for the spectacle/tradition.
I voted the poo poo out of this election over 2 weeks ago. Let a thousand years of liberal darkness overwhelm the nation amen.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I listened to an Andrew Sullivan interview today and he pointed out a character trait of Trump that explains a good bit of his policies to me. He doesn't understand or believe in non zero sum games.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/u...type=Multimedia

Honestly, this article is pretty good anti-arzy, despite the headline.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Radish posted:

Also half of the Trumpsters wouldn't believe it and the other half would suddenly start talking about how being ruled by Putin via proxy would be a great thing.

"Moderate" is just a code word for Republicans who want to act like they're adults and above the fray by acting like they'll only go as far as Saint Reagan and keep the racism coded or for Democrats who are spineless and break to every little Republican push because they too want to appear "adult". It's a cancer pushed by people who benefit by the status quo and are afraid of any change to it. At their core, moderates are just conservatives who refuse to take up the mantle of shame.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Night10194 posted:

I just feel like we're still losing lead and it's a race to see if the clock or our lead runs out first.

Probably irrational.

Therapy, it's cool.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mulva posted:

Therapy, it's cool.

Already doing it.

Like I said, I have a legit anxiety disorder and this election put me back in therapy.

I should probably check out of the thread and the news for awhile, though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KiteAuraan posted:

"Moderate" is just a code word for Republicans who want to act like they're adults and above the fray by acting like they'll only go as far as Saint Reagan and keep the racism coded or for Democrats who are spineless and break to every little Republican push because they too want to appear "adult". It's a cancer pushed by people who benefit by the status quo and are afraid of any change to it. At their core, moderates are just conservatives who refuse to take up the mantle of shame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan%27s_Neshoba_County_Fair_%22states%27_rights%22_speech

Reagan wasn't as coded as people remember. Republicans just want to re-write history and "Moderates' are just as bad as the Trumpsters which we'll see in a week when they all vote Trump.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Numbers are boring but predictable, and while crazy poo poo does happen it rarely does so with no warning. There's usually something it bounces off of, or something it was building from. Clinton is going to win unless something new happens. Not emails for the millionth time, something new that shows real impact. The race is over, as it stands. Only thing still up for grabs is the Senate. Now things can change, they can always change, but they'd have to. Until they do just chill out, and enjoy the historic moment we elect the first woman as President.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Thank you for the thread title we all deserve.

Peztopiary posted:

None of you ever listen, but we're six days away from the loop kicking in.

axeil fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 1, 2016

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Night10194 posted:

The thing is, whenever Trump surges to get kinda close again it's this weird feeling like a natural disaster, you know? Where it's like 'We've done everything we can, why the gently caress is this happening?'

Because the polls aren't all that good.

The underlying reality is probably that Clinton has had a small (3-4 point) lead over Trump and has largely kept it all election. All the bounces in the polls because of conventions, debates, tapes, emails, etc. are noise due to less response rates from different partisans, less enthusiasm translating into voters not making the 'likely voters' cutoff, etc.

Nothing has changed most people's voting intention.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Florida early voting update

Relevant bits (but please read the whole article as it's very interesting and the guy deserves the clicks):

quote:

The electorate continues to get more diverse. Through the Sunday vote, Hispanics are now 13.5% of the votes so far, with Black voters (African American and Caribbean) at 11. White is down to 70, and has trended down from nearly 80% when in-person early voting started. I have no doubt at this point that the electorate in 2016 will end up more diverse than 2012.

I also don’t expect the Black share of vote to match 2012. That was a historic moment. But I do expect the Black share of vote to approach its registration share (13.9%). In my models, which have her winning, I expect it to land at 13%, so anything north of this is positive.

On the flip-side, Hispanics, particularly low propensity Democratic and NPA Hispanics, are turning out. So far, 50% of Hispanic Democrats, and 55% of Hispanic NPAs who have voted are low propensity voters, which I define as voters who either have no voting history, or have voted in just one of the last three elections. And keep in mind, Hispanic registration grew by 121K voters in just the ten weeks after August 1.

Democrats now have a low propensity voter advantage of 65,000.

Moreover, there is something in Dade that I have been wondering about. Right now, 153K Hispanics have voted, many of whom are people who surely fall into Rubio’s turnout universe. But how many will vote for Rubio, but Clinton? In other words, as Rubio is turning out Miami Republicans, for his own campaign, is he also inadvertently helping Clinton. In a lot of polling I’ve seen in South Florida, there are areas where the difference between the Rubio and Clinton margins are as much as 20 points. How many of those are Miami Hispanic Republicans? I suspect it is more than a few.

Another interesting point that a very smart observer mentioned to me yesterday: more traditional Election Day Republicans are voting early than Election Day Democrats. According to the file I use, about 620,000 people who have voted early already are voters who in 2012 voted on Election Day. In other words, in the absurd terms of today’s politics – these are early voters that the parties are “cannibalizing” from their own Election Day turnout.

Republicans have been making the case that Democrats have closed the VBM gaps by cannibalizing their own vote, but here is an interesting finding: Republicans are actually doing it more to themselves. Right now, about 34,000 more 2012 Election Day Republicans have early than Democrats.

In other words, the GOP lead right now is based on cannibalizing their own supposed Election Day advantage.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
have some more anti-Arzy

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/793424767823015936

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/793414183844995072

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/karentravers/status/793410589234229248

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thank you kindly.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Remember also 1982 is when the DNC won a lawsuit against GOP poll watchers intimidating minorities at polling locations. Moderate Republicans at the level of TV punditry certainly are educated enough to remember that and are pretending this Trump stuff is out of left field. They are scum and shouldn't be treated like they are having some kind of crisis of conscience.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hey Comrade, just read the OP - pretty sure the military was ordered not to claw back the signing bonuses.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/10/26/499443646/pentagon-suspends-effort-to-take-back-bonus-money-paid-to-national-guard-members

At any rate, bring it on, November :smithicide:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Is it the fate of all old people to get hateful as gently caress as they get older? I swear my grandpa wasn't always so bigoted towards Muslims, black people, immigrants and people speaking a non-English language in public. But over the past year he has gotten really pissy about it and really openly hateful. It seemed to start getting worse with Obama, wherein he called him a "porch monkey" in front of of my Dominican Aunt and has just gotten worse, peaking this year. Part of it seems to be a slide into dementia and the anger that comes with that, but part of it also just seems to be building hate. I also hear my grandma saying all sorts of snide poo poo about Mexicans and Hispanics in general (she was born in Panama, to a Panamanian mother) and also "immigrants" speaking "some Arabic" in public. gently caress even my mom is going on about BLM and poo poo.

None of these people were ever progressive, but goddamn it is getting worse each year. I sometimes wonder if I should just set an age where I Logan's Run my rear end to avoid it, if that's the fate of The Old.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Ohio stuck with portman in senate bevause Strickland is a useless piecenof poo poo. We had a better option but no we went with the stubborn establishment candidate.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

KiteAuraan posted:

Is it the fate of all old people to get hateful as gently caress as they get older? I swear my grandpa wasn't always so bigoted towards Muslims, black people, immigrants and people speaking a non-English language in public. But over the past year he has gotten really pissy about it and really openly hateful. It seemed to start getting worse with Obama, wherein he called him a "porch monkey" in front of of my Dominican Aunt and has just gotten worse, peaking this year. Part of it seems to be a slide into dementia and the anger that comes with that, but part of it also just seems to be building hate. I also hear my grandma saying all sorts of snide poo poo about Mexicans and Hispanics in general (she was born in Panama, to a Panamanian mother) and also "immigrants" speaking "some Arabic" in public. gently caress even my mom is going on about BLM and poo poo.

None of these people were ever progressive, but goddamn it is getting worse each year. I sometimes wonder if I should just set an age where I Logan's Run my rear end to avoid it, if that's the fate of The Old.

Old people can and do sit at home all day watching Fox News, or their social group includes people that do and want to talk about the evil thing they heard about.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shifty Pony posted:

Old people can and do sit at home all day watching Fox News, or their social group includes people that do and want to talk about the evil thing they heard about.

This is what got my brother when he moved down south. :smith:

Since he moved to St. Thomas and got a new job as a resort chef he's gotten better, though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah that poo poo is a cancer and really warps people's brains since it's just a stream of hate and fear. If it's all you are exposed to it's going to start amping up any sort of preexisting bias. Then add in Trump leading the regular media around by the nose and making White Nationalism a legitimate position you can argue on cable news since "both sides are equally valid" and people are going to start saying publicly what they have been holding back.

I'd like to hope that it's like Coke and if they stop advertising constantly people start realizing they don't need it all the time but good luck on getting people to get out of their comfy right wing media safe spaces.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Radish posted:

Yeah that poo poo is a cancer and really warps people's brains since it's just a stream of hate and fear. If it's all you are exposed to it's going to start amping up any sort of preexisting bias. Then add in Trump leading the regular media around by the nose and making White Nationalism a legitimate position you can argue on cable news since "both sides are equally valid" and people are going to start saying publicly what they have been holding back.

I'd like to hope that it's like Coke and if they stop advertising constantly people start realizing they don't need it all the time but good luck on getting people to get out of their comfy right wing media safe spaces.

This is what I hate about the stupid argument that "at least it's out in the open now". Eliminating this bigotry was never really a realistic goal, buy shaming bigots into keeping heir mouths shut and at least acting civil is a step forward. I'm not sure minorities in this country are comforted by the brazen displays of white nationalism being displayed out in the open, even if they knew full well that poo poo was pervasive.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Anyone else think this red october surprise is a lot of nothing?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ith_russia.html

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

It seems like it got worse for my grandpa after I set them up to cut the cord, getting rid of Fox News in the process. He just retreated into Facebook version of email forward hate speech, Crowder and Breitbart poo poo and far right clickbait. Honestly, I feel Fox News would somehow be better.

With my grandma, it's easily the 5-6 hours of talk radio a day, 2/3rds of that being Limbaugh and Hannity.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

freckle posted:

Maybe go out and vote Democrat again in 2 years. Tell your friends to do the same.

A good reminder why that isn't going to work

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Cimber posted:

Anyone else think this red october surprise is a lot of nothing?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ith_russia.html

If anything comes of this, it will be after the election as a convenient excuse for Trump's failure. Next time we'll put up a Real Republican!

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Get some more liberal justices, strike down political gerrymandering, and we can move that timeline up 6-8 years. 2018 is going to hurt real bad though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Should I vote early on my day off or take an hour off work to do it Tuesday...

This is a fantastically privileged position to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Deified Data posted:

Should I vote early on my day off or take an hour off work to do it Tuesday...

This is a fantastically privileged position to be in.

why not both?

• Locked thread