Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

KazigluBey posted:

I've noticed that I sometimes roll a -1 Order trait on some leaders. Is there a way to get rid of it or minimize the chance of rolling it in the first place?

In general, bad traits tend to go away as long as you get that lord out in the field and doing stuff. It's pretty much wholly random as far as I know.

e; ugh, minutia snype. the wood elves should be announced sometime this week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Sorry, Mannfried. I did exactly that in my current game and I cannot recruit Mannfried.

Edit: Nevermind, it takes a turn to activate :D

cheese fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 1, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

KazigluBey posted:

I've noticed that I sometimes roll a -1 Order trait on some leaders. Is there a way to get rid of it or minimize the chance of rolling it in the first place?

Reduce the number of times you slaughter captives and increase the number of times you ransom them away.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If someone sends me a Grombindale code, I will make a mod that changes all unit names to compliments about you and put it on the workshop

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I hope they do something neat with the Wood Elves on the campaign map. My ideal would be turning all the impassable forest regions into "groves" that Wood Elves can occupy while giving Beastmen/Greenskins recruitment and replenishment. The groves should feed back into Athel Loren somehow, so if the countryside surrounding one is corrupted it starts corrupting Athel Loren too.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Olive Branch posted:

The only person who could beat you now is Yukitsu if he gets a 4-0 blowout against his two final opponents!

EDIT: Or Beans and Vox if they also play super well against the entire roster!

ZearothK posted:

Don't forget that we probably have to nullify everyone's matches with Triskelli and Thanqol since they dropped out.

If we ditch Triskelli and Thanqol from the rankings then I have 20, Yukitsu has 17 (I believe he played Vox and went 1-3 already, but didn't post the replays) and Trujillo has 16. So those are the high scores for people who have played all their matches. Vox Nihili still has four matches to play and could potentially score 16 more points, causing him to win. Plus, he only needs 13 points on top of his present 8, so he can afford to lose 3 more matches and still win outright. Whereas Beans could potentially tap out at 16 points, so he can reach tied third place at most if he wins every single match from now on.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 1, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Triskelli posted:

I hope they do something neat with the Wood Elves on the campaign map. My ideal would be turning all the impassable forest regions into "groves" that Wood Elves can occupy while giving Beastmen/Greenskins recruitment and replenishment. The groves should feed back into Athel Loren somehow, so if the countryside surrounding one is corrupted it starts corrupting Athel Loren too.

I don't think Groves are happening because the map would look awful with those settlements, but you do raise a good idea in terms of the Wood Elves fighting corruption as one of their campaign goals. Giving them the reason they need to venture away from the forest and the ability to clear corruption markers left by the Beastmen and probably Chaos, if they fix the latter.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Mukip posted:

If we ditch Triskelli and Thanqol from the rankings then I have 20, Yukitsu has 17 (I believe he played Vox and went 1-3 already, but didn't post the replays) and Trujillo has 16. So those are the high scores for people who have played all their matches. Vox Nihili still has four matches to play and could potentially score 16 more points, causing him to win. Plus, he only needs 13 points on top of his present 8, so he can afford to lose 3 more matches and still win outright. Whereas Beans could potentially tap out at 16 points, so he can reach tied third place at most if he wins every single match from now on.

I think I still have Vox and someone else that I haven't recorded yet, can't remember. I think Civ has turned into the giant black hole that it's pretty well known to be and stuff beyond that is a bit fuzzy. But yeah, I'm done all my games. If we're just dropping forfeits out rather than counting those as defaults, then yes, I'm at 17 and am done.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I feel counting the forfeits out is more balanced. Counting them is a disadvantage for people who haven't played, and counting them as defaults benefits the ones who haven't played them, but it is up to Beans to give a verdict on that, since he's the organizer.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Decided to pick this up but have never played a total war game before in my life. Any good tutorials out there? I read through the op but was wondering if there were videos out there or something.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

ZearothK posted:

I feel counting the forfeits out is more balanced. Counting them is a disadvantage for people who haven't played, and counting them as defaults benefits the ones who haven't played them, but it is up to Beans to give a verdict on that, since he's the organizer.

Just so long as he's consistent about it, including with the people they've already played it'll work out fine.

That aside, has anyone been tracking who's been winning matches with bottom 4s? I noticed that's all blank for most of us.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
What's the MP balance like after all the DLC and balancing patches? Are Dwarfs still bottom of the pile?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

KazigluBey posted:

I use this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692561622

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Zephro posted:

What's the MP balance like after all the DLC and balancing patches? Are Dwarfs still bottom of the pile?

Tier 1: VC, Empire, Greenskins
Tier 2: Dwarfs, Chaos, Bretonia, Beastmen

This list is Ninjahund's, one of the best and certainly the most prolific player.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I should start using this too. Once I figured out that executing prisoners does very little for you and can really hurt you if you pick up one of the negative traits, I pretty much release everyone all the time, mostly because of the trait issue. Not being bound to that would be awesome.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Nanomashoes posted:

Tier 1: VC, Empire, Greenskins
Tier 2: Dwarfs, Chaos, Bretonia, Beastmen

This list is Ninjahund's, one of the best and certainly the most prolific player.
Thanks!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah, Skulkers are def the unsung heroes of this DLC for me. They really fit a niche that I didnt realize existed, but are near vital now.

Can they really be called unsung heroes when people are talking about how good they are and hard to deal with every page since they came out?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Skulkers are so good I'm actually thinking of dropping Night Goblins for them and Squigs. At least, against the Dwarfs and armored factions.

Night Gobbos have the edge in that the melee damage army skill applies to them but not Skulkers, so I can see going back to the Night Gobbos once Dwarfs are no longer an issue.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 1, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Watch as they just end up being another Horde race.

Are there any mods that change up Very Hard difficulty? I'm stuck in a weird spot here.

I love Very Hard battles. I love how they force you to use everything you've got correctly, because you lack the leadership/morale for drawn out fights. I like how you can't just rely on breaking the enemy morale to win every battle like you can in every other difficulty. I like how battles tend to be harsher for everyone because of that.

I loving hate Very Hard campaign map though. I hate how public order suddenly becomes impossible to deal with, forcing you to put all of your upgrades towards fixing order. I hate how the AI can suddenly field 10 armies with a single city. I hate how the AI upgrades significantly quicker then you, so you quickly run into a situation where you are fighting Steam Tanks with Night Goblins because ???. I hate how the AI becomes super aggressive to everyone around them, which leads to situations where I'll leave my starting area and the Empire is nothing but ruins from Karak Hirn's angry march north? It jumps past being a fun mode to just being a silly mode where the AI gets all the bonuses because gently caress you, we can't make good AI in a game like this.

I wish I could start a Very Hard matchup that just had the Very Hard battles, but the campaign map was Normal or Hard. Can't seem to find that on the workshop though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rookersh posted:

I wish I could start a Very Hard matchup that just had the Very Hard battles, but the campaign map was Normal or Hard. Can't seem to find that on the workshop though.

Battle difficulty is changeable in game options. Most people use it for VH campaign/N battles, so you can just do the opposite!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Battle difficulty is changeable in game options. Most people use it for VH campaign/N battles, so you can just do the opposite!

I loving never thought of that.

I knew that was there, but for some reason never made the connection of "Oh yeah just start on Normal and then set it up."

Fuuuuuck.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Red Mundus posted:

Decided to pick this up but have never played a total war game before in my life. Any good tutorials out there? I read through the op but was wondering if there were videos out there or something.

PartyElite's Beginner's Guide is still one of the best general introductions to the game and its' concepts.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwVftHdWAdHNOJ-PMquSZMVVAGWIq2TVQ

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

toasterwarrior posted:

Why do most people do that?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Megasabin posted:

Why do most people do that?

Most people can't stand the arbitrary in-battle bonuses enemy units get on Hard+. The especially heinous ones are to Leadership, which completely breaks some factions' balance.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

brocretin posted:

Most people can't stand the arbitrary in-battle bonuses enemy units get on Hard+. The especially heinous ones are to Leadership, which completely breaks some factions' balance.

Yeah, Dwarfs are bad enough; with VH bonuses on, even basic poo poo like Warriors become stupidly unfun to fight.

I usually play VH campaigns with factions that have elite units, like the aforementioned Dwarfs. Getting attacked by swarms of enemies is fun if your faction's roster can actually take them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had a hilarious battle against the empire with my skarsnik campaign. Three empire armies plus a garrison against two gobbo stacks and a waaagh. The whole thing turned into a drawn out down to the wire brawl across the whole map with reinforcements pouring in from all sides and breaking into smaller engagements. My main force broke, but by that time my second army had arrived in enough numbers to form a battle line. Karl Franz and Balthazar both went down under the weight of giants, spiders and swarms of angry goblins.
Phyrric victory, 9000 casualties in total.
Is there a way that I can control a large army plus have extra units be ai controlled?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rookersh posted:

Watch as they just end up being another Horde race.

I could 100% potentially see this. I'm also thinking they should have some sort of corruption mechanic because one of the things with Wood Elf lore is that Athel Loren is a loving nightmare hellforest that is intrinsically linked to all wooded areas around the world. Let them take human settlements and the corruption effect causes heavy woods to form up. They could fluff up the Wood Elf campaign that Athel Loren is spreading and the wood elves are showing up to enforce it's new boundaries.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
they should just be able to occupy anywhere there's enough trees regardless of regions' race, get a campaign movement mode for treed areas, and get bug bonuses for fighting in treed campaign areas

really looking forward to welfs

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm keen to see how they pull it off because Wood Elves are one of those factions where there's no clear and obvious way to implement them and hopefully they'll come up with something interesting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe they suffer heavy attrition away from forests.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Corrode posted:

I'm keen to see how they pull it off because Wood Elves are one of those factions where there's no clear and obvious way to implement them and hopefully they'll come up with something interesting.

Start as Orion in a Wild Hunt in Bordeleaux. Horde race, Athel Loren stays a giant forest you can't interact with.

I mean it's the most simple/boring way of doing them, but I could see it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Nah the big thing with Welfs on the tactical map is that they get bonuses to fighting in the trees, up to the point that you got to place a free piece of forest terrain during set-up. If Creative Assembly follows that model then the Welf campaign could have a fun element of making sure you're only accepting battles in heavily forested areas. If they let the Wood Elves pass through the impassable forests that would make excellent locations to raid from and retreat to.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wood Elves as a horde race that receives economic and replenishment bonuses near heavily-forested areas. Objective: wipe out all things that can cause corruption apart from Norsca, so your job is to kill Beastmen wherever they pop up, the Chaos invasion, and vampires.

Catch: you can't secure border access treaties with anyone at all. So in your quest you will invariably piss off everyone as you trespass all the loving time. Captures the feel of Wood Elves being this alien force that no-one really likes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I like that, but they should still have settlements in Athel Loren, just so that they have to actually protect their homeland. I am expecting a mixed settled/nomadic playstyle.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

A mixed style with a settlement in Athel Loren you need to worry about, plus horde armies, is actually a really good idea.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I like that, but they should still have settlements in Athel Loren, just so that they have to actually protect their homeland. I am expecting a mixed settled/nomadic playstyle.

With a modified Grudge system, where when the average level of corruption in the world increases, the more economic and public order penalties Athel Loren suffers as a simulation of the forest spirits losing their poo poo. So you need to venture out and kill Chaos scum or the trees themselves will murder your soft, weak elves.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
I'd be good with just one super province in Athel Loren and then a bunch of objectives that force you to interact with the rest of the world map. Kind of like Venice in Civ V, except with an emphasis on violence and not trade.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I think it's a given they'll have some sort of nature mechanic that works like corruption. I'm guessing some sort of horde hybrid where they only ever have a few cities and their goal will be to spread nature or cleanse taint in certain locations or something.

Super excited for them either way. I don't really like horde gameplay but I don't hate it. I just miss the pressure of defending cities that you lose with hordes. They're too easy.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Pinely posted:

I'd be good with just one super province in Athel Loren and then a bunch of objectives that force you to interact with the rest of the world map. Kind of like Venice in Civ V, except with an emphasis on violence and not trade.

One big problem is that Athel Loren is so safe. It's surrounded by what? Some Bretonnians, maybe Estalia and whatever Beastmen don't die off by turn 10? It doesn't have much chance to interact with the other factions at all, even if they had some incentive to attack the forest. I really like the idea of a hybrid horde/settled faction, but it's got some map-level problems to sort out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kaza42 posted:

One big problem is that Athel Loren is so safe. It's surrounded by what? Some Bretonnians, maybe Estalia and whatever Beastmen don't die off by turn 10? It doesn't have much chance to interact with the other factions at all, even if they had some incentive to attack the forest. I really like the idea of a hybrid horde/settled faction, but it's got some map-level problems to sort out

Don't forget the Dwarfs/Skarsnik in the mountains along the eastern side of the forest.

Another idea I've had is to tie the Elfs to seasons: make it so Spring has boosts to growth and building, summer carries bonuses to fighting, fall has increased replenishment, and winter sucks until you start a war to resurrect King Orion in one of his Wild Hunts. One huge hurdle for the Wood Elfs will be drawing them into conflicts, and whatever campaign mechanics they have will have to force them to venture out of Athel Loren.

• Locked thread