Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

darkhand posted:

Black desert is extremely good until you hit endgame and literally grind the same mobs for months. It nailed action mmo, but unfortunately it also nailed Korean slogfest at the end

It's the only game where the wizard class actually felt like a badass slinger of powerful magics. Every other game its like pew pew pew haha look at my magic pew pew, meanwhile in BDO a flame explosion takes over the entire screen as another wizard conjures the lightning storm from hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Inzombiac posted:

My lady shot a million lightning bolts from her hands and shot a hot load of justice with her shotgun.
If only new MMOs fully veered into action games instead of toolbar crap. Black Desert does that a bit but the whole game is very confusing.

Remember Auto Assault?

I played AA in beta and it was pretty fun. Did the same for Tablua Rasa but all I remember is my dude having a minigun.

Though in the end, all MMO servers become tabula rasa. :v:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's the only game where the wizard class actually felt like a badass slinger of powerful magics. Every other game its like pew pew pew haha look at my magic pew pew, meanwhile in BDO a flame explosion takes over the entire screen as another wizard conjures the lightning storm from hell.

Its poo poo like this that really makes me want Capcom to finally bring Dragons Dogma Online to the West and let us run around climbing over poo poo and doing screen clearing spells.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I played Auto Assault and adored it, but one of my all time favorite games is Interstate '76 and Interstate '82, so I'm pretty bias. I love vehicular combat games.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I too enjoyed AA and even Hellgate London (also beta). Gotta play all the lovely MMOs!

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

BexGu posted:

Its poo poo like this that really makes me want Capcom to finally bring Dragons Dogma Online to the West and let us run around climbing over poo poo and doing screen clearing spells.

I'm playing the single player Dragon's Dogma and it's a seriously good RPG. It's Monster Hunter + Dark Souls

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

darkhand posted:

Black desert is extremely good until you hit endgame and literally grind the same mobs for months. It nailed action mmo, but unfortunately it also nailed Korean slogfest at the end

Words cannot convey how accurate this is. You really have to experience it to appreciate the extent of the repetitive grindfest at the "end", such as it is.

Do you like AOE killing the same packs of mobs over and over for literally months for tiny incremental improvements? BDO might be for you.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Having enjoyed RO and L2 a whole lot, it sounds like I really need to check out BDO. :v:

Seriously though, I thought BDO was about good open world pvp fites? Did that change, or was I just reading it wrong?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you kill another unflagged player you get some large amount of negative karma. So after doing that a few times you're into negatives which means if you die your own gear upgrades are at risk,because those can downgrade if you die with sufficient negative karma.
Should you kill the person you flagged on they lose nothing, not even XP. Just a run back from whatever spawn.

Yes this means you can be set back months of grinding. Do you really want to risk it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:rip:

Let me guess, the upgrades are super huge, and you can't compete without them?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

:rip:

Let me guess, the upgrades are super huge, and you can't compete without them?

:thumbsup:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

My lady shot a million lightning bolts from her hands and shot a hot load of justice with her shotgun.
If only new MMOs fully veered into action games instead of toolbar crap. Black Desert does that a bit but the whole game is very confusing.

Remember Auto Assault?

I bought Tabula Rasa, Auto Assault and APB!

But I didn't buy Hellgate London so you can't rely on my DOA mmo powers.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

darkhand posted:

I'm playing the single player Dragon's Dogma and it's a seriously good RPG. It's Monster Hunter + Dark Souls

Its one of the only action RPGs I can remember where instead of fighter type classes just hitting a monsters feet the player can actually climb on them and stab everything in the face.

Look at this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLsdxdrc5pc

I want to hang out with some bros while taking out a Chimera bit by bit.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Dragon's Dogma is really loving good, like, possibly one of my favorite games ever. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone even remotely interested.

It's such a weird loving game but it works so well

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Dragon's Dogma owns incredibly hard. On top of having fantastic melee combat mechanics and climbing on monsters, it also lets you feel like an all-powerful master of magic if you play Sorcerer. You really can't lose with Dragon's Dogma classes.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I really dont get the hype for Dragon's Dogma. It had an ok combat system, the "climb on bosses" gimmick would have been more interesting if you didnt spend most of your climbing time trying to get the camera not to get stuck on a tree/column/wall/etc or having your dude bug out and not be able to climb from the boss's arm to its body or some other nonsense and the plot was absolutely horrid. The class system was neat though and pawns were super cool so I definitely give it that. It was a pretty mediocre game with a really interesting gimmick in the form of pawns.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I think it's pretty solid, especially for an action rpg. The AI is incredible(but not perfect) with all the ways the enemies can gently caress with you, or you and pawns can gently caress with them. The quests are cool and let you do things out of order and doesn't bug out. Compared to everything in its category it's definitely a surprise and heavy contender.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 29, 2016

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Chomp8645 posted:

The Warham MMO had a lot of great ideas and concepts but most of the execution was amateur from top to bottom so RIP.

Yeah Warhammer PvP was great for a short while, but the whole idea of different factions having different classes is just stupid. You'll seldom be able to balance 6 classes on the same side with each other, let alone trying to balance 12 classes against each other.

Order classes were way, way more powerful in low-level PvP (which was the best kind of PvP). Bright Wizards, Rune Priests, Witch Hunters, or bust.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is this just the MMO Chat thread/topics that don't need their own thread now? Cause I feel like that was the one thing this sub-formed missed.

God I need to stop myself from trying to sink the time to get the Dragons Dogma Online client working.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 29, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

BexGu posted:

Is this just the MMO Chat thread/topics that don't need their own thread now? Cause I feel like that was the one thing this sub-formed missed.
Not quite. It's the MMO Failure thread. :getin:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Yeah all the bad mmo chattin ends up in the latest Wildstar/badgame thread, it's cool

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The best part of dragons dogma is setting yourself on fire, climbing onto a giant's head then repeatedly stabbing it in the eye while it flails around on fire

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I was mildly curious about ddo but that video is so dumb and gross that now i'm not. thanks!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Shy posted:

I was mildly curious about ddo but that video is so dumb and gross that now i'm not. thanks!

DDO was rife with a lot of dumb poo poo, and climbing on monsters was turned into a kind of quick time event with if the monster glowed red you needed to hit your red button!!! bullshit. It was a bit less janky than the original, but it lost all of its charm and good aspects in that move over.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CoffeeBooze posted:

I really dont get the hype for Dragon's Dogma. It had an ok combat system, the "climb on bosses" gimmick would have been more interesting if you didnt spend most of your climbing time trying to get the camera not to get stuck on a tree/column/wall/etc or having your dude bug out and not be able to climb from the boss's arm to its body or some other nonsense and the plot was absolutely horrid. The class system was neat though and pawns were super cool so I definitely give it that. It was a pretty mediocre game with a really interesting gimmick in the form of pawns.

I weep for your inability to have fun :(

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Thursday Next posted:

Yeah Warhammer PvP was great for a short while, but the whole idea of different factions having different classes is just stupid. You'll seldom be able to balance 6 classes on the same side with each other, let alone trying to balance 12 classes against each other.

Order classes were way, way more powerful in low-level PvP (which was the best kind of PvP). Bright Wizards, Rune Priests, Witch Hunters, or bust.
You can basically tell how unfinished the game was since PvP was loving great in T1 and 2, then nosedived hard in Tier 3 and was just broken as hell in Tier 4.

Good example: in Tier 4 to participate in the higher-end PvP you needed a gear or else you'd be melted by NPC guards at Forts and poo poo. To get said gear, you needed to rank high in easier Tier 4 content (very difficult to earn a high score in a zerg) and also drops from PvE dungeons. It also meant your gear options were limited since you HAD to use that gear or else. They eventually unfucked the system, but the fact that it was in there to begin with makes me really question what Mythic was thinking.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

You can basically tell how unfinished the game was since PvP was loving great in T1 and 2, then nosedived hard in Tier 3 and was just broken as hell in Tier 4.

Good example: in Tier 4 to participate in the higher-end PvP you needed a gear or else you'd be melted by NPC guards at Forts and poo poo. To get said gear, you needed to rank high in easier Tier 4 content (very difficult to earn a high score in a zerg) and also drops from PvE dungeons. It also meant your gear options were limited since you HAD to use that gear or else. They eventually unfucked the system, but the fact that it was in there to begin with makes me really question what Mythic was thinking.

I think a lot of issues that WAR had was that Mythic got bought by EA like a year before launch, which caused a ton of management changes, like Mark Jacobs leaving. I remember all the mechanics videos they put out well before closed beta, and they were pretty good, with the developers seeming really passionate about what they were making. After EA though, things seemed to get rushed and cut left and right. The passion kind died, which you can kind of see in the later videos. The team changes just a few months after launch, with most of the main developers leaving.

I still enjoyed the crap out of that game, and feel if they actually went F2P, that it may have lasted a bit longer. I played again for those last 2 free weeks myself, and it was super fun.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

DDO was rife with a lot of dumb poo poo, and climbing on monsters was turned into a kind of quick time event with if the monster glowed red you needed to hit your red button!!! bullshit. It was a bit less janky than the original, but it lost all of its charm and good aspects in that move over.

All I remember about DDO is the dungeon narrated by Gary Gygax and fighting kobolds in the sewer.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Wrong DDO I think.

Also, the correct DDO isn't a good mmo, but it's a very good co-op game to dungeon crawl in with friends IMO. One of the rare online games that still has proper character builds (and allows you to make a completely gimp character that can't do any content past level 3 :v:).

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Elblanco posted:

I think a lot of issues that WAR had was that Mythic got bought by EA like a year before launch, which caused a ton of management changes, like Mark Jacobs leaving. I remember all the mechanics videos they put out well before closed beta, and they were pretty good, with the developers seeming really passionate about what they were making. After EA though, things seemed to get rushed and cut left and right. The passion kind died, which you can kind of see in the later videos. The team changes just a few months after launch, with most of the main developers leaving.

I still enjoyed the crap out of that game, and feel if they actually went F2P, that it may have lasted a bit longer. I played again for those last 2 free weeks myself, and it was super fun.
Jacobs didn't leave Mythic until well after WAR launched, died, and Mythic was brought in to gently caress up work on the TOR PvP.

Apparently Mythic wanted to go f2p, but I'm assuming Games Workshop was having none of that because...well, because Games Workshop seems to be a social experiment in how long a business can last if they make nothing but terrible, inscrutable decisions.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

Jacobs didn't leave Mythic until well after WAR launched, died, and Mythic was brought in to gently caress up work on the TOR PvP.

Apparently Mythic wanted to go f2p, but I'm assuming Games Workshop was having none of that because...well, because Games Workshop seems to be a social experiment in how long a business can last if they make nothing but terrible, inscrutable decisions.

Really? I could have sworn he left like right after or before launch. Isn't he working on a spiritual successor to DAoC now?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Truga posted:

Wrong DDO I think.

Also, the correct DDO isn't a good mmo, but it's a very good co-op game to dungeon crawl in with friends IMO. One of the rare online games that still has proper character builds (and allows you to make a completely gimp character that can't do any content past level 3 :v:).

No, he had the right ddo. Gygax did voices for a dungeon in it?
vvv: I thought he meant dungeons and dragons online not dragons dogma?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 2, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dragons Dogma Online, special guest-starring Gary Gygax

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Sorry to detract from the conversation of things not Wildstar, but

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

There was the architect exploit and then there was duping elder gems for free top of the line endgame gear. This was on top of the myriad hilarious crashing bugs, memory leaks from the modules of the base UI, guild leaders having their attunement reset and CS not being able to fix it without making a new character, and "you ran down a hill too fast so you died" bugs. And this is just what I remember. I never made it to level cap, so I'm sure there's more entertaining stuff other people could share.

The common consensus here is that what hurt WildStar so bad was the whole uber hardcore raiding thing, which I agree they could have had more accessible stuff for general players but the difficult dungeons were actually some of the most fun I had with WildStar.

I think what really killed the game was just how unfriendly and unpolished it was. The exploits letting you duplicate elder gems and skip 36 weeks of time-gated progression is somehow only scratching the surface. I poke around with a lot of MMOs, hoping to one day find the best MMO ever (it won't happen) and I have to say that WildStar has easily been the most buggy experience I have ever suffered. For example, my favourite bug was if you were Medic DPS and jumped in the middle of casting a certain skill, then your character would soft-lock and be unable to perform any combat actions until you relogged. On the other hand, Medic DPS had another problem where you could cast a certain PROC skill multiple times by mashing the skill key regardless of if it were on cooldown - the only time that Medics were able to top the DPS charts.

Medic Healers weren't exempt from bugs, either. One particular bug was an Engineer Tank with Shield Bot out (the main tank bot) could not be Shield-healed by Medics. Basically full-stop. For some reason, your Shield heals got reduced to like, 1% power. Considering that Shield-healing is Medic's whole schtick, it kind of made the two classes incompatible in that precise layout. There was also a problem with Stalkers, I believe - I think they had some sort of extremely mild Shield regen, and one of Medic's perks is that they do significantly increased Shield-healing if their target has 0 Shield left.. which Stalkers never did. Bravo!

For attunement, I actually managed to bug my attunement process without being the guild leader. There was a point where I accidentally triggered the flags for the next step of attunement without completing my current step, which set some flags and locked my quest. I managed to fix the problem without making a new character, but I don't remember how - all I remember is spending an extra 10 hours trying to make my quest work with various black magics.

If you were an Explorer sub-type whatever it was, you actually had the tools to get literally anywhere in the game at your whim. I suppose in favour of WildStar versus Neverwinter, I never managed to clip out of bounds and fall through the world and land in the void, but I tried my hardest to make it happen. edit: Though I do remember playing in the PvP server and actually scaling the enemy faction team's walls and actually chilling inside their faction city. I remember they had a special quest where you could play DDR and the imperial faction didn't have that so I scaled walls around the guards that would aggro just to find the DDR machine and be disappointed that it didn't work for Chua.

Two of the Adventures could just bug. At least. I remember Malgrave Trails if you tried to trigger something too early then you could soft-lock it and have to abandon the quest, and I remember the one Tower Defense Adventure it just.. didn't work, sometimes. I want to say that you could bug the DotA Adventure, too, but I'm not entirely certain about that one.

The architect exploit was hilarious, and all, but there was another exploit in Cooking. See, Cooking was absolutely worthless because you couldn't produce food good enough to take into raids relative to what you can just purchase outright for significantly less effort. And man, what a ridiculous grind the profession was. Each singular dish required 3-4 Meat Items that dropped off of specific monsters, and then each monster had a paltry 5% chance to drop 1 meat. For those that don't remember or didn't play long enough, the TTK on trash mobs tended to skyrocket ridiculously high, so a 5% chance to drop 1 meat could mean 30 minutes of going on a mass genocide and being able to craft one singular dish. But it gets worse. They also had that bullshit minigame where you had to use food additives to try and find completely hidden Variant Dishes on a grid, where each singular dish has two variants you can craft. And if you wanted your Cooking Skill Points, you had to craft every single dish. I believe some of my worse dishes took me up to 10 attempts to craft the two variants. Did I mention the Meat Items were usually on monsters that no one kills so they don't get put on the marketboard? While I did my cooking grind, I ended up fighting monsters I didn't even know existed in the first place!

But then the fun part is when you leveled your Cooking to almost max level, you started unlocking perks like using less ingredients per craft, and crafting more dishes per craft, and etc.. If you had enough autism to grind up to that point (~125 hours of grinding, for me) then there was a singular dish that you could use that only required the harvest items like Heartichoke or whatever, but one of the dish items you only needed to get 1 of.. By default.. Which you could reduce to 0 with your skill perks. So suddenly, all you have to do is stockpile one ingredient, which you could buy from the marketboard because it was a common ingredient used for raid potions, make like 10 dishes, and sell those dishes back to vendors for several gold pieces.

I created a money laundering business and printed hundreds of Platinum - this was before there was the one dupe that was discovered. I also don't think anyone else really discovered or abused this, because I ended up buying somewhere around $2000 worth of CREDD (only to stop playing the game because of how loving buggy the drat thing was.)

Fun bugs unrelated to WildStar: ArcheAge, where I discovered a place you could fall out of the world, and create a tree farm underneath the world where no one could access or steal the trees. Neverwinter, which had a single-time quest that dropped Premium items, but you could make an alt character and "Share" the quest then abandon the quest to give your target players the ability to get the rewards again... and again.. and again...

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 2, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
^ is pretty spot on. But yeah I didn't quit the game because the raiding/dungeons were bad or horrible, all of that stuff was pretty "on point" by the time F2P hit. I quit because of how alt unfriendly it was. Doing "Yet Another" rep grind for all of my ability/amp points was just beyond the pale for "gently caress This".

On my main character I had reached that magic point where money just kinda naturally flowed well enough that I didn't need to do dailies and suddenly I was being forced into it again for "Rep"? No thanks. Pass. It's just like that stupid loving board in WoD. Forcing me to interact with some tedious bullshit mechanic just to get and stay ahead offends my sensibilities.

Now had they made a daily to say, give an amp point/ability tier point for running the dungeon of the day? I'd have been all over that because it makes me a better tank through repetition and gets me to where I'm going. But running around doing a solid month of poo poo dailies and pvp just so I can cap out? Nah. I quit instead.

For the record the first raid was downright fun and the "Elite HARD CORE RAIDING" poo poo was pretty much gone due to powerbloat of F2P. We ran a 20 man and it wasn't unusual for us to just 18 man things when we were short dudes. And frankly I only had about 10 guys on my raid team that could even clear the dungeons on their own without a carry yet we still knocked down a new boss almost every week.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 2, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

a cat on an apple posted:

Two of the Adventures could just bug. At least. I remember Malgrave Trails if you tried to trigger something too early then you could soft-lock it and have to abandon the quest, and I remember the one Tower Defense Adventure it just.. didn't work, sometimes. I want to say that you could bug the DotA Adventure, too, but I'm not entirely certain about that one.

The poo poo thing about the MOBA adventure was that you could beat it really quickly and easily, but the only way to get a gold rating, which was the only way to get worthwhile loot, was to intentionally stall for like ten minutes so you could grind kills on the enemy heroes and wait for the bonus objectives to pop up. Some of the bonus objectives were really easy, but others were like "kill enemy X within 2 minutes" and unless you knew where the enemy was right then you might not even be able to find it in two minutes. There were also a few like "capture a control point" or "kill a boss" so you couldn't do those things while stalling or else you might not have any to complete if they popped up as an objective.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Regarding the inability to clip out of bounds, no matter how hard you try: this is probably mostly thanks to a dude I know from WoW whose hobby is breaking game maps. He's one of those people who got into inaccessible parts of the vanilla WoW maps just by very careful jumping.

He got into the Wildstar alpha and spent his entire time testing as an explorer trying to go places he shouldn't, and since he's freakishly adept at pixel perfect jumping and spotting unintentional footholds, he was filing tons of stuck/out of bounds reports from day one.

Eventually the devs started stealth following him, just like they did with the raid tweaking (only this time they actually gave a heads up) and made note of/invisible walled off all the problem areas he found.

He quit the game at launch because he said exploring was no longer fun. :v:

So that's one of the things they actually made a concerted effort to fix through testing, while things like warrior rage generation remained bugged through launch.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

The poo poo thing about the MOBA adventure was that you could beat it really quickly and easily, but the only way to get a gold rating, which was the only way to get worthwhile loot, was to intentionally stall for like ten minutes so you could grind kills on the enemy heroes and wait for the bonus objectives to pop up. Some of the bonus objectives were really easy, but others were like "kill enemy X within 2 minutes" and unless you knew where the enemy was right then you might not even be able to find it in two minutes. There were also a few like "capture a control point" or "kill a boss" so you couldn't do those things while stalling or else you might not have any to complete if they popped up as an objective.

I don't think it'd pop up uncompletable objectives, it's just that those objectives were consistently completable in the time limit so you wanted them to be in the pool of missions to up your chances of success. By the way, this adventure dropped the best in slot weapon for tank stalkers but only if you gold medalled it. And then they "fixed" medals to reduce LFG friction.

When it launched, you'd get some garbage for completing the mission, blues if you silver medalled, and purples (frequently BiS pre-raid, especially since dungeon boss drops were consistently garbage) if you gold-medalled. Actually, let me go back. So before you raided, you needed to do two things. Get gold medal loot from adventures and get attuned by silvering dungeons. There were a smattering of drops in dungeons but despite dungeons being balls-hard, the drops there were not consistently better than gold-medalling adventures (which wasn't hard but required people you knew, generally). You could get gear that good by gold-medalling dungeons, but the consensus was that doing so required insane coordination, because you had to do secondary objectives (bronze), complete it in a time limit (silver), and nobody was allowed to die (gold). You could buy purple gear with elder gems, but all currency gear was gated behind achievements, most of which were for things like killing raid bosses and gold medalling dungeons or whatever. There was one piece of gear per achievement, total, so your spec probably had like 2 or 3 pieces on the vendor and 2 of them were almost certainly garbage. I think I'm remembering this right.

So anyway, the result is that you only need to run each adventure once to attune, the bronze gear is trash, but the gold gear is stuff everybody needs. So like half the adventure LFG queue at any one time had no reason to be there other than to gold medal. Everyone else was either totally ungeared & just trying to get blues, just rolling through it to clear the attunement step, or RPers who are just trying to unwind. These groups quickly grew to hate each other. The ungeared folks probably didn't even know what all was required for golding (most of these adventures had a series of extremely specific steps in order to consistently gold that the game didn't surface AT ALL- sometimes they'd put what happens next to a vote, and if the vote didn't select the exact right option, gold medalling was off the table and two party members would bail). This was even better in the one motorcycle gang adventure & malgrave trail because there were some pieces of gear that dropped from bosses who you would only encounter if the party voted for a particular series of options that were ENTIRELY DIFFERENT from the correct ones if you wanted a gold medal.

So you throw 5 people with extremely different, mutually-exclusive agendas into a queue together and what happens? So carbine's plan for dealing with this was the following:
A) End-of-adventure rewards can now drop anything, including gold medal rewards and a % chance for a random boss drop from earlier in the dungeon. I think they hosed up & this couldn't include boss drops from bosses you didn't encounter lol
B) You get MORE end-of-adventure rewards the higher you rate.

The idea being that if things don't go your way you'll say "eh gently caress it" and finish it anyway with a minimum of drama so you can pull the slot bar. That mostly worked. The problem was that singular BiS gold medal drops became as rare and precious as a baby covered in diamonds because your chance of getting the one thing you wanted dropped loving substantially. And it wasn't great before because each adventure had like 10 gold medal rewards that could drop, and someone could always end up with it instead of you. Queue our stalker tank probably running 50 or 60 of that goddamn moba adventure, seeing the weapon twice, and always having the tanking weapon go to some rando stalker dps. Why did we have randos? Somewhere around 20 or 30 runs he couldn't find hardly anyone in our guild to run it with because gently caress that place.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Even better was BiS Medic DPS stuff for pre-raid PvE was your PvP stuff.

I'm pretty certain this was true of a lot of classes, so you had people trading arena wins to get their PvP gear so they could raid because their incredible class balance didn't have a sensible spread of gear, so some classes got stupidly easy and lucky gearing requirements and others were just SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

30.5 Days posted:

I don't think it'd pop up uncompletable objectives, it's just that those objectives were consistently completable in the time limit so you wanted them to be in the pool of missions to up your chances of success. By the way, this adventure dropped the best in slot weapon for tank stalkers but only if you gold medalled it. And then they "fixed" medals to reduce LFG friction.

When it launched, you'd get some garbage for completing the mission, blues if you silver medalled, and purples (frequently BiS pre-raid, especially since dungeon boss drops were consistently garbage) if you gold-medalled. Actually, let me go back. So before you raided, you needed to do two things. Get gold medal loot from adventures and get attuned by silvering dungeons. There were a smattering of drops in dungeons but despite dungeons being balls-hard, the drops there were not consistently better than gold-medalling adventures (which wasn't hard but required people you knew, generally). You could get gear that good by gold-medalling dungeons, but the consensus was that doing so required insane coordination, because you had to do secondary objectives (bronze), complete it in a time limit (silver), and nobody was allowed to die (gold). You could buy purple gear with elder gems, but all currency gear was gated behind achievements, most of which were for things like killing raid bosses and gold medalling dungeons or whatever. There was one piece of gear per achievement, total, so your spec probably had like 2 or 3 pieces on the vendor and 2 of them were almost certainly garbage. I think I'm remembering this right.

So anyway, the result is that you only need to run each adventure once to attune, the bronze gear is trash, but the gold gear is stuff everybody needs. So like half the adventure LFG queue at any one time had no reason to be there other than to gold medal. Everyone else was either totally ungeared & just trying to get blues, just rolling through it to clear the attunement step, or RPers who are just trying to unwind. These groups quickly grew to hate each other. The ungeared folks probably didn't even know what all was required for golding (most of these adventures had a series of extremely specific steps in order to consistently gold that the game didn't surface AT ALL- sometimes they'd put what happens next to a vote, and if the vote didn't select the exact right option, gold medalling was off the table and two party members would bail). This was even better in the one motorcycle gang adventure & malgrave trail because there were some pieces of gear that dropped from bosses who you would only encounter if the party voted for a particular series of options that were ENTIRELY DIFFERENT from the correct ones if you wanted a gold medal.

So you throw 5 people with extremely different, mutually-exclusive agendas into a queue together and what happens? So carbine's plan for dealing with this was the following:
A) End-of-adventure rewards can now drop anything, including gold medal rewards and a % chance for a random boss drop from earlier in the dungeon. I think they hosed up & this couldn't include boss drops from bosses you didn't encounter lol
B) You get MORE end-of-adventure rewards the higher you rate.

The idea being that if things don't go your way you'll say "eh gently caress it" and finish it anyway with a minimum of drama so you can pull the slot bar. That mostly worked. The problem was that singular BiS gold medal drops became as rare and precious as a baby covered in diamonds because your chance of getting the one thing you wanted dropped loving substantially. And it wasn't great before because each adventure had like 10 gold medal rewards that could drop, and someone could always end up with it instead of you. Queue our stalker tank probably running 50 or 60 of that goddamn moba adventure, seeing the weapon twice, and always having the tanking weapon go to some rando stalker dps. Why did we have randos? Somewhere around 20 or 30 runs he couldn't find hardly anyone in our guild to run it with because gently caress that place.

It was irritating as gently caress to have the dota dungeon go from something where you could clear in 10 minutes, to a run where you basically sat for 15+ minutes on your hands.

• Locked thread