Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The cult stuff is a complex emergent property arising from social and economic factors in both South Korea and Japan. the Komeito party in Japan is basically a front organization for the Soka Gakkai (a cult) and I've read the Communists operate in a very similar way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Alan Smithee posted:

Certainly wouldn't want people blindly following a cult of personality who's actually just some fat gently caress getting fat off the land and not having actual solutions

That was intended as a tongue-in-cheek sort of thing, the DPRK is obviously still worse.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I just heard about this (Here's a link with a detailed explanation) and not even an ungodly mix of :popeye: and :staredog: would suffice

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

icantfindaname posted:

The cult stuff is a complex emergent property arising from social and economic factors in both South Korea and Japan. the Komeito party in Japan is basically a front organization for the Soka Gakkai (a cult) and I've read the Communists operate in a very similar way

Any more book/journal article recommendations?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I just heard about this (Here's a link with a detailed explanation) and not even an ungodly mix of :popeye: and :staredog: would suffice

:allbuttons:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

Any more book/journal article recommendations?

Here are a few from quick trawling on the internet. As for the Communists I don't have anything concrete, the history of the political left in Japan postwar is its own giant barrel of worms / rabbit hole probably better left for its own post

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_new_religions

http://www2.kokugakuin.ac.jp/ijcc/wp/cpjr/newreligions/inoue.html

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/cjs/aba2512.0001.001/--new-religions-of-japan-a-bibliography-of-western-language

http://oicd.net/ge/index.php/globalization-new-religions-and-the-contemporary-re-imagining-of-japanese-identity/

quote:

What emerges, as Kisala fully documents, is a cultural complex with a set of interestingly interconnected facets: a right-wing (or totally apolitical) political stance; an anti-Americanism fueled by fears of the erosion of Japanese cultural identity by Hollywoodization, and a view of globalization as consisting essentially of US cultural hegemony; a strong internationalism centering on the promotion of world peace; and a distinctively Japanese concept of that peace. This concept of peace can be further broken down by seeing it as consisting of: an amalgam of moral cultivation; a “civilizational” approach to international stability; a strong dose of post A-Bomb victimology; and a spiritual view of world salvation, based for example in the case of Byakko Shinkokai on the idea that the peace prayer links the individual to spiritual forces that enable the overcoming of karma and hence the spiritualization/salvation of all mankind (Kisala 1999, pp.126ff). The structure of this complex is then informed by Occidentalism or “reverse Orientalism” (Kisala 1999: 159) in which the spiritual East is contrasted with the materialistic West in particular ways such as appeals to the Atomic bombing as conferring on Japan a unique moral status as the center of world peace in the postwar era; or where a strong continuity with traditional Japanese nativism is emphasized; or, lastly, where a strong element of religious syncretism is combined with a basically spiritual view of humanity’s salvation and remaking. This cultural complex can be thus seen more accurately as a national mission, and not just for smaller JNRs, but as Kisala shows, also in the larger examples such as Soka Gakkai and Rissho Koseikai, in which the view of Japan’s uniqueness and unique role in the world represent a kind of globalization of nihonjinron, or its translation into a higher register.

(note the author has substantial critiques/modifications of the quoted, which is what the rest of the article is)

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2012/07/08/books/book-reviews/new-religions-in-the-land-of-the-rising-sun/

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-New-Religions-Global-Perspective/dp/1138879118

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 31, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Every article has some new WAT. Like this article from the Economist

quote:

Ms Chung’s education has also become a focus of popular anger, and the subject of a separate investigation: an opposition MP has alleged that Ewha Women’s University, among the country’s most prestigious, gave Ms Chung undeserved grades. Other critics say it changed its rules to help her gain admission in early 2015 (it suddenly began offering extra points to applicants with gold medals in equestrianism). The university’s president, who resigned on October 19th, had also been dogged by months-long protests (one of which is pictured) against a scheme to set up a college of continuing education with government funding, which some believe Ewha won through ties to Ms Choi.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Imagine L Ron Hubbard loving the President. And this is still ...somehow.... worse

Because now, the ferry catastrophe that managed to kill 300 children on L Ron's death-day, might have been a human sacrifice to best korea L Ron.

This is now not impossible

:stonkhat:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I cannot wait to read this.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Everyone involved in this whole disaster/scandal/bizarre cultist conspiracy are really just horrible, disgusting human beings, backwards and forwards.

안철수 must be getting pretty pumped. If this doesn't tank Saenuri then I just don't know what the gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Imagine L Ron Hubbard loving the President. And this is still ...somehow.... worse

Because now, the ferry catastrophe that managed to kill 300 children on L Ron's death-day, might have been a human sacrifice to best korea L Ron.

This is now not impossible

:stonkhat:

jesus gently caress, so is choi still running the cult that elder choi started? my assumption is elder choi used park as an easy way to get money and influence and now his daughter is continuing the legacy.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

What the gently caress. 2016 is the year that keeps on giving when it comes to politics :v:

edit: posted without finishing

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I seem to be having a hard time explaining this one to my friends and classmates. What should I say?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grouchio posted:

I seem to be having a hard time explaining this one to my friends and classmates. What should I say?

Nothing, because going around trying to explain deep political intrigue lasting decades in a country you barely understand isn't helpful.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Grouchio posted:

tl;dr: The president of South Korea is completely controlled by the daughter of a cult leader, Choi, who claimed to be able to speak to the president's dead mother. Choi controls what clothes the president wears, what she says in speeches, what her policy positions are, etc and got to read whatever classified information she wanted. These rumors have swirled for decades; the head of the Korean CIA assassinated the president's father because he wouldn't protect her from the cult leader.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
Just remember to casually mention that the current president is the daughter of the previous dictator of south korea (since people are unlikely to know how hosed up things were even before this one hit the fan).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Rasputin, but in Korea, is the short and easily digestible version.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Reminder that even before this came to light the fact remained that the Korean public basically elected Korean Stalin's daughter because they wanted Korean Stalin back

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jazerus posted:

Rasputin, but in Korea, is the short and easily digestible version.

The only thing the average person knows about Rasputin is that he’s unkillable.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

Reminder that even before this came to light the fact remained that the Korean public basically elected Korean Stalin's daughter because they wanted Korean Stalin back

From the article above

quote:

In fact, one of Park's selling points as the presidential candidate was that she was less likely to be corrupt because she had no family. Her parents--former dictator Park Chung-hee and his wife Yuk Yeong-su--were dead, and she was estranged from her sister and brother. This argument had a modicum of plausibility, since all the previous president's corruption involved their family in some way. (Kim Young-sam and Kim Dae-jung had issues with their sons; Roh Moo-hyun and Lee Myung-bak, their brothers.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Being estranged from your only living family sounds like a really weird PR advantage for a politician, from an American perspective.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20161101000001#jyk

lol why would you return from two months in exile now?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

AnonSpore posted:

More like the Korean Shah if Iran somehow became a dysfunctional democracy instead of an islamic theocracy

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
God drat Korea is going to make some GREAT movies about this

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

So there is like a tradition (cultural concept?) of scholarly dispute/protest in Korean culture called 시국선언 (shi-guk-seon-eok). Recently, universities and student activist groups have been holding what they've been calling 시굿선언 (shi-gut-seon-ok).

It's a play on words: 굿 (gut, sounds like guk) is the word for a shamanistic ritual that asks the gods/spirits to intervene in the mortal world during catastrophe or otherwise troubled times.

So they're staging mock rituals asking gods to intervene against their poo poo-awful president and her puppetmaster-shaman as protest. Pretty clever!

https://www.facebook.com/UNIVtomorrow/videos/1271559769573289/ (starts at 6:30, dancing at 10:00)
Here's a video of the one my wife's alma mater hosted yesterday. The school has a really great dance program, so they went all out on the traditional music and dancing. It's really cool.

e: good spellin'

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 1, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If there's one thing that the Koreans get right, aside from their awesome cuisine (bibimbap supremacy), it's protests.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yep, Koreans are some pissed crazy motherfuckers all right.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/01/choi-soon-sil-arrested-made-in-south-korean-presidential-cronyism-scandal

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Alan Smithee posted:

Iran somehow became a dysfunctional democracy instead of an islamic theocracy

It manages to be both!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

If there's one thing that the Koreans get right, aside from their awesome cuisine (bibimbap supremacy), it's protests.

I work near the big Government Center in Sejong City and there are protestors outside it all the time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Halloween Jack posted:

Being estranged from your only living family sounds like a really weird PR advantage for a politician, from an American perspective.

Hey, it worked for Obama. :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So, will this topple her, or just make her unelectable in 2017?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Well, she became unelectable the moment she accepted the presidency. Unless, of course, she was gonna pull some cool trick her dad taught her.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

So, will this topple her, or just make her unelectable in 2017?

Term limit. she can't run again, unless I majorly misunderstood something.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Term limit. she can't run again, unless I majorly misunderstood something.

Just before this story hit, she was trying to get a bill through that would allow the president to run multiple terms. I guess that's not going to happen now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

nelson posted:

Just before this story hit, she was trying to get a bill through that would allow the president to run multiple terms. I guess that's not going to happen now.

It was after the story hit in Korea (it took about a week longer to hit international news) so people were saying it was a deliberate ploy to divert attention away from the scandal.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

It was after the story hit in Korea (it took about a week longer to hit international news) so people were saying it was a deliberate ploy to divert attention away from the scandal.

My mistake. Although of all things, more years as president doesn't seem like much of a starter.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

The Kims of North Korea: How myth and propaganda sustain a family dynasty

quote:

Brian Myers, an analyst of North Korea, said Kim Song-ju assumed the name and identity of the guerrilla leader Kim Il-sung towards the end of the war.

"Kim Il-sung was not the big guerrilla hero, the big anti-Japanese hero he made himself out to be," Mr Myers said.

"In fact, he assumed the persona of a distinguished guerrilla leader with the name Kim Il-sung. And the real Kim Il-sung died in 1937."

Mr Myers's evidence is the Japanese records of the interrogation of hundreds of Korean independence fighters captured in the late 1930s, which show that the Kim Il-sung who led anti-Japanese guerrillas was born in 1901 and was 160 centimetres tall.

"In other words, 10 years older and a good two or three inches shorter than the Kim Il-sung that we all know," he said.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

nelson posted:

As I remember it, that bill would not apply to the current president.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

As I remember it, that bill would not apply to the current president.

The article I read was short on details. What's the best English language news source for Korean news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

nelson posted:

The article I read was short on details. What's the best English language news source for Korean news?

I usually go here

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/