Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

GunnerJ posted:

Apparently they used a compressed format that some say sounds worse, I dunno.

I don't notice, but I tend to not pay too much attention to the sound since it's pretty average.

you guys wanting to run Open Cities might want to reconsider, I had CTDs during the Mirmulnir part, and when I uninstalled it the problem was gone, only running the Achievement mod and SKYUI that someone posted in this thread. Too bad too since Whiterun actually ran smoother while that mod was installed somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Reddit has the scoop on it. Side by side, I can tell the difference and it is worse, but it's not like "all noises have been replaced with 128kbps .mp3 renditions" worse.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They've said that was a mistake, iirc, it's going to be patched.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

scamtank posted:

Reddit has the scoop on it. Side by side, I can tell the difference and it is worse, but it's not like "all noises have been replaced with 128kbps .mp3 renditions" worse.

eh, kinda wish I didn't listen to those comparisons, I can tell now. oh well. I look forward to the Skyrim HD Audio Pack DLC.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

sebmojo posted:

They've said that was a mistake, iirc, it's going to be patched.

Yeah, they're on the map with this one already. And if you somehow got it in you to fix it NOW, supposedly you could just extract the vanilla Skyrim_All_Noises.bsa, repack it into SSE shape and just truck along as well as it always has.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

GunnerJ posted:

Nah, that's not even it, I don't think there's anything in the OP about your question. PS4 cheevos was just not a subject I ever thought I'd have to deal with, I was very unprepared!

Ah. How about some recommendations? Or is that just making it worse?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Everything about this new edition of Skyrim is incredibly traumatic for the OP and all the time I spent writing it, nothing will make it worse or better. Why did Bethe$$$da not take MY NEEDS as a Skyrim modding thread OP curator into account?? :(

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

GunnerJ posted:

Everything about this new edition of Skyrim is incredibly traumatic for the OP and all the time I spent writing it, nothing will make it worse or better. Why did Bethe$$$da not take MY NEEDS as a Skyrim modding thread OP curator into account?? :(

Your needs weren't immersive enough.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You didn't qualify as a key influencer under the new Bethesda preview code policy.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

I didn't sign up for this when I made the OP. :negative:

"We should make a seperate thread," I said, but Noooooooooooo~

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Dumb Question: what are some recommended mods for the xbone version? Besides the unofficial patch. I don't know what the quality control is like for Bethsoft's console game mods, but I'd rather not test drive complete garbage if I don't have to.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Anything by EnaiSiaion is good stuff, anything by TrainWiz is good stuff especially if you can get wheels of lull.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So this new awesome Skyrim SE version hates modern technology. It does some crazy as poo poo frame skipping if I have g-sync enabled.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

ded posted:

So this new awesome Skyrim SE version hates modern technology. It does some crazy as poo poo frame skipping if I have g-sync enabled.

Gsync was causing my game to dip in to the single digit FPS whenever looking into some directions. Game runs a lot better and smoother without Gsync for some odd reason.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So how do you fix the dirty/burnt face bug? My vampire character has it and goddamn does it look weird.

I know you can delete or replace a file, but I have no idea if the old Skyrim mods that do that will work. I can't find a fix on the special edition nexus either.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I've been having a great time dark soulsing it with a puny mage and maximum frostfall. Skyrim is genuinely threatening, it's great.

Also The 3d sound mod with Immersive Sounds is amazing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

"We should make a seperate thread," I said, but Noooooooooooo~

You want to make a separate thread, knock yourself out. :v:

Although it would probably be a lot less work since that gif you made could be the whole OP.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

I've been having a great time dark soulsing it with a puny mage and maximum frostfall. Skyrim is genuinely threatening, it's great.

Also The 3d sound mod with Immersive Sounds is amazing.

Try Frostfall + the shipwrecked origin from Live Another Life. Enjoy swimming like a mile through icy water to the nearest shore...which is more tundra.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Regulation Size posted:

Dumb Question: what are some recommended mods for the xbone version? Besides the unofficial patch. I don't know what the quality control is like for Bethsoft's console game mods, but I'd rather not test drive complete garbage if I don't have to.

Agents are GO! posted:

Anything by EnaiSiaion is good stuff, anything by TrainWiz is good stuff especially if you can get wheels of lull.

I feel like the general stock answer here is that any mod listed as good and worth trying in the OP is pretty likely to be good and worth trying if it's ported over to SE, although results may vary depending on what will work well on a console.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Deified Data posted:

Try Frostfall + the shipwrecked origin from Live Another Life. Enjoy swimming like a mile through icy water to the nearest shore...which is more tundra.

Being a newbie mage and going to the college at Winterhold is basically that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
There was an Argonian camping by a shipwreck on the shore who let me share his fire for a bit. :shobon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Deified Data posted:

There was an Argonian camping by a shipwreck on the shore who let me share his fire for a bit. :shobon:

I passed out at one point and woke up next to an argonian and his buddy who were raiding a tomb or something and it was a hilarious and awesome adventure. Frostfall is skyrim imo

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Entropic posted:

:nexus:

I was all excited to try the Remastered version but I feel like I shouldn't bother diving until at least until SkyUI and SPERG are ported. I fired it up for a bit and I'd forgotten how godawful the vanilla user interface is.

:same: Things look to be a goddamn mess right now. I'm going to enjoy Civ 6 for a month or so and come back to this.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Throne of Bhalz posted:

:same: Things look to be a goddamn mess right now. I'm going to enjoy Civ 6 for a month or so and come back to this.

This has basically been my plan because I had a feeling that SSE was going to be a clusterfuck of poo poo no longer working and SKSE being unavailable (which means all the cool mods are basically gone for the forseeable future).

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

QuantaStarFire posted:

This has basically been my plan because I had a feeling that SSE was going to be a clusterfuck of poo poo no longer working and SKSE being unavailable (which means all the cool mods are basically gone for the forseeable future).

Is there a reason at this point not to just go back to normal ol' Skyrim if you're playing on PC? I get that Special Edition has pretty environments and all, but mods already did that. I'm not asking to sound contrarian - this all just seems so unnecessary.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Is there a reason at this point not to just go back to normal ol' Skyrim if you're playing on PC? I get that Special Edition has pretty environments and all, but mods already did that. I'm not asking to sound contrarian - this all just seems so unnecessary.
Well, depends on how much you like crashes.

As for me, the new edition looks better, runs better, and stays more stable. So I can deal without some of the more transformative mods for a while.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Right now? It's probably the stronger option yeah. The increased stability just doesn't outweigh the whole "5 years of making the game less bad" yet.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Throne of Bhalz posted:

It runs like a dream and has tons of potential. As others have said it's just a matter of waiting for SKSE.

But yeah your average experienced mod user is going to have a set-up that already has Skyrim looking better than Bethesda's enhancements, so if you're itching for a full modded playthrough right now I wouldn't bother with SSE for a couple months.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Throne of Bhalz posted:

In addition to what's been said:

GunnerJ posted:

OK, this is kinda interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6EjcESYIXk

tl,dw:

1. "Rain occlusion" built in, obviating the need for the Real Shelter mod.
2. No more z-fighting!
3. 64-bit = more memory = less crashing, ok pretty straightforward. But, this allows for many more active NPCs at once. Inevitability of a Dynasty Warriors mod for Skyrim confirmed.
4. Water actually flows in the proper direction and around obstacles (still kinda looks crap to me).
5. HOLY poo poo YOU CAN LOOT THE TORTURER'S HOOD IN THE INTRO SEQUENCE???

Your call how much this matters now vs. months from now.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

How much did they do to the shadow rendering? With my 20 minutes of trying out and not being impressed with the performance I didn't even think to look for striping or face flickering.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

All I know is that faces look loving weird.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

GunnerJ posted:

All I know is that faces look loving weird.
Yeah, I had to use this, which we talked about a bit above, because the default faces are still really ugly.

But I am getting no weird shadow striping with them, in answer to the previous question.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm hoping that the sound bug I've been having with directional audio in Skyrim is fixed (since it was absent in FO4), because it's really loving annoying when dialogue cuts out mid-sentence because you turned your head for a second.

Other than that, I'd at least want SkyUI in some form.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I had to use this, which we talked about a bit above, because the default faces are still really ugly.

But I am getting no weird shadow striping with them, in answer to the previous question.

I'll probably use this when I get around to playing. I was actually wondering if they had carried over FO4's chargen poo poo since FO4's humans actually look like people. This will suffice though.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 1, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

QuantaStarFire posted:

Other than that, I'd at least want SkyUI in some form.

The wisdom in the SkyUI download pages says "just download the legacy version 2.2, ignore all whining about SKSE not being found, have an enjoy"

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Since it's an all-in-one thing, does the Special Edition alter the loot lists at all?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Potato Jones posted:

Since it's an all-in-one thing, does the Special Edition alter the loot lists at all?

Altered from what?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Potato Jones posted:

All the plugins are still separate, so I would guess no.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Potato Jones posted:

The SE was only a graphical upgrade, it didn't change anything in the game itself.
So if you had all the DLC before, you'll see nothing new. If you've only played the base game before, you'll see additions from the DLC in the loot lists.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
That was a poorly-phrased question, but I've been dipping my toes into the available mods after years of not playing and was remembering some of the myriad minor changes I used. One of which was adding crossbows to regular bandits, but the available SE leveled loot list mods seem to be more about putting crazy enchanted stuff on everyone and not small tweaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Altered from what?

Dawnguard and Dragonborn did not add some of their new, general purpose equipment/items to level lists outside their own content. So for example, you wouldn't find Nordic weapons outside of Dragonborn NPCs/areas.

And to answer the question. I don't know. I found a Bandit Chief the other day sporting Carved Nordic armor pieces at Greenwall, north of Riften. Bunch of the NPCs there were rocking nordic weapons. So maybe? But maybe it was just the Unofficial patch.

It was one of the points way back when the unofficial patch was split between the DLCs. Merging leveled lists would require separate patches for each combination, which wasn't really practical. Enter the unofficial legendary patch, and now Special Edition patch. But maybe beth did merge them.