Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Khazar-khum posted:

I knew a guy whose girlfriend dumped him because he didn't understand "Star Wars".

nerd love is the worst love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Khazar-khum posted:

I knew a guy whose girlfriend dumped him because he didn't understand "Star Wars".

I'm sorry Becky, I just don't get it! Are these medichlorians like bacteria or what? It's nonsense!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No explain it to me Becky! How are the jedi supposed to warn the Naboons about the attack... if they are transporting down WITH THE ATTACK?

This movie doesn't make any sense Becky!!!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Khazar-khum posted:

To be fair, if he couldn't follow the plot to a children's movie then he is probably too dumb to date.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Gaunab posted:

Some goon got lucky

WE WERE ON A BREAK

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Chichevache posted:

To be fair, if he couldn't follow the plot to a children's movie then he is probably too dumb to date.

It might not have been a movie though. I have a friend who I literally can not talk about Knights of the Old Republic II with. Because I thought it was kind of dumb and goofy and he gets super pissed off that I "Just don't get it" because it's "Actually really deep and morally grey". Or maybe she threw that one book where han solo fucks a space weasel at her boyfriend and when he didn't understand, she dumped him and went to dwell over her space weasel costume once more knowing that one day, she would find the right one.

EDIT: How many suns does tatooine have?

quote:

Me [26m] and my girlfriend of 3 years [25f] became the biggest Star Wars fan apparantly in the past months...
Ok so I've been dating my GF for 3 years, known her for a year before that. We live together for 2 years.

We have never. Not once. Period. Talked about Star Wars. I like it, but I'm not a super fan, so I never brought it up to watch or whatever. She's never once talked about it, like EVER. We've known each other for over 4 years!!

So as soon as the new movie is announced, out of the blue she's a massive Star Wars fan. Apparantly she's loved them her whole life. She came home one day with a really sweet death star tattoo on her thigh. She is now buying all kinds of Star Wars merchandise and stuff.

Here's my issue. First, I think it's wrong to test people's "fandom". I hate saying I'm a fan of say, Star Trek, and having Trekkies quiz me on characters and stuff and if I don't know, I'm not a true fan.

But my girlfriend doesn't know poo poo about Star Wars. I mean, not a drat thing. I asked her how many suns Tattooine had. I asked her WHAT AN EWOK WAS. I mean, I'm not talking about little bits of trivia here, I asked her some basic rear end questions, think of the most basic Star Wars questions and I asked them.

And she knew the answer to nothing.

The issue is that she won't stop talking about Star Wars all the time now, and I don't get it because I don't want to judge her "fan" status like the Trekkie example, but come on, if you're a big fan of something you should at least know anything about it, right?

It'd be like if I kept telling all my friends how much I was into Clint Eastwood movies, how much he meant to me and my childhood and stuff, but I couldn't name a single movie yet I get teary eyed when a new one is announced. It's not that its WRONG to be a bad fan, but it's just really confusing to those around you.

Recently a game trailer for a remake of Final Fantasy 7 came out. I played this game 20 times over the years and it's my favorite game of all time. She saw how excited I got watching the trailer. Queue the new Star Wars trailer coming out and she was imitating me down to a T. Trembling and saying how she felt like she was going to cry she was so excited.

Do I just keep the eye rolls to myself and let it go?

tl;dr know GF for years and years, never once mentioned star wars, suddenly new movie announced and she's biggest fan ever lived, comes home with star wars tattoo, knows NOTHING about star wars, I'm not even sure if she's actually seen them before. Is her fandom valid or should I let my eye rolls, while she talks about how much the series means to her without even being able to tell me who Luke's father is, spill forth from my skull and roll across the ground?
Kill all nerds.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 1, 2016

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

OK so what's the deal with people going on breaks in their relationships? Has anyone ever had a relationship work after going on a break because it seems like it's all trainwrecks and desperation?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Yossarian posted:

Aren't we just assume the FIL beats off to her dirty drawers?

But he washes them after, right? Still a good deal to me.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Nuebot posted:

It might not have been a movie though. I have a friend who I literally can not talk about Knights of the Old Republic II with. Because I thought it was kind of dumb and goofy and he gets super pissed off that I "Just don't get it" because it's "Actually really deep and morally grey". Or maybe she threw that one book where han solo fucks a space weasel at her boyfriend and when he didn't understand, she dumped him and went to dwell over her space weasel costume once more knowing that one day, she would find the right one.

It was "A New Hope" that he didn't understand.

He's a sheriff's deputy now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

lazorexplosion posted:

OK so what's the deal with people going on breaks in their relationships? Has anyone ever had a relationship work after going on a break because it seems like it's all trainwrecks and desperation?

It means one of you wants to go gently caress someone else without cheating.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Chichevache posted:

It means one of you wants to go gently caress someone else without cheating.

That sounds more like open relationships though

As I understand it it's like breaking up, but more cowardly

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
you should want to have sex with... your partner

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
In this case, Danny Devito apparently.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Psycho Society posted:

In this case, Danny Devito apparently.

Now I just see the op having this face as she tells him about loving the troll man.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
lol @ that guy who can't properly dominate his gf. :rip:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
well, if someone out there opens their relationship/goes on a break/stays friends with their ex/etc, then still has a happy, fulfilling relationship, they don't go post on reddit about it

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Facebook Aunt posted:

But he washes them after, right? Still a good deal to me.

Ahh.... Yeah actually you're right

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
My [28F] fiance [31M] wants to have a LOTR wedding.

I can get too wordy so I will try and be clear.

As the title says: my fiance wants to have a LOTR wedding.

He never mentioned it prior to us becoming engaged.

I think it is unfair because I am not bringing any of my hobbies or interests into the wedding and I feel he should do the same.

I am not a bridezilla and I want every step of our wedding to be planned with equal input.

A lot of my relatives are old and have no idea what LOTR is. I think it would be disrespectful to our guests to make them dress up.

I hate this idea so much and I have been very considerate in wording my disagreement to the idea but now my fiance is sulking because he says he has always wanted a LOTR wedding and it is his dream wedding.

How can I make him see it is a bad idea?

I found the movies very hard to follow and apart from being able to name a few major characters I know nothing about LOTR. Every time we watch it I try my best to understand but it's too hard for me to follow.

tl;dr: Fiance wants a LOTR wedding.

EDIT: I didn't add some details that comments have pointed out to me as important.

I have made the following compromise offers:

His choice of location so it can be in a elfsie/mythical type location with forrest.

Our bands will be inscribed with a quote

(He doesn't know) but my gift to him for the wedding will be a package tour of LOTR location

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Pick posted:

you should want to have sex with... your partner

:eyepop: More hosed up poo poo posted by Pick!

But seriously, if you want to gently caress people other than your partner then don't date exclusively maybe?

I don't know.

gentle pete posted:

My [28F] fiance [31M] wants to have a LOTR wedding.

I can get too wordy so I will try and be clear.

As the title says: my fiance wants to have a LOTR wedding.

He never mentioned it prior to us becoming engaged.

I think it is unfair because I am not bringing any of my hobbies or interests into the wedding and I feel he should do the same.

I am not a bridezilla and I want every step of our wedding to be planned with equal input.

A lot of my relatives are old and have no idea what LOTR is. I think it would be disrespectful to our guests to make them dress up.

I hate this idea so much and I have been very considerate in wording my disagreement to the idea but now my fiance is sulking because he says he has always wanted a LOTR wedding and it is his dream wedding.

How can I make him see it is a bad idea?

I found the movies very hard to follow and apart from being able to name a few major characters I know nothing about LOTR. Every time we watch it I try my best to understand but it's too hard for me to follow.

tl;dr: Fiance wants a LOTR wedding.

EDIT: I didn't add some details that comments have pointed out to me as important.

I have made the following compromise offers:

His choice of location so it can be in a elfsie/mythical type location with forrest.

Our bands will be inscribed with a quote

(He doesn't know) but my gift to him for the wedding will be a package tour of LOTR location

It is not bad to not like a thing your partner likes and I'm glad she wants equal input and compromise so like, just talk to him and find a happy medium where the dude can have a few LOTR things and everyone wins? Why does Reddit need to be involved in this?

Better yet, LOTR guy should have a bald loin clothed creep be the ring bearer and then run off with the rings as he flees into the night.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 1, 2016

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: How many suns does tatooine have?

Kill all nerds.

i wonder what his SA username is

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

quote:

My [30F] fiancee [33M] is mad because I paid way less than retail price for his birthday present

Ok so firstly, the present in question is an electronic gadget that's sort of specific so for privacy reasons I'll call it gadget.

Anyway, so fiancee's hobby revolves around these electronic gadgets. He has 2 of them but has been wanting to get one of the higher end models with all the bells and whistles. The model he wants is sold at around $1200 at stores and websites, it's quite a bit of money so he's been saving money and according to his plans he'd be able to buy it for Christmas 2017.

As luck would have it, around 4 months before his birthday, I learned that an acquaintance's father is a higher up in the company that produces gadget. So I asked my acquaintance if it was possible to get it with an employee discount or something. Turns out the dad is a great guy and could get me one for $500 working out of the box but with no warranty. I was ecstatic and bought it.

One day before fiancee's birthday, we agreed to have dinner/celebrate just the two of us. So I have her the gadget then, he was so happy when he unwrapped it and saw what it was, looked like a little kid on Christmas, dancing and singing all over the place. Then I told him we were having dinner at super expensive place since I had saved quite a bit of money with his present. He asked how and when I told him I could see the immediate disappointment on his face. We went for dinner and he was sulking the whole time, he asked what else I got him since gadget was so cheap, what if it's defective or something? and what if it's refurbished (acquaintance dad assured me it's not)?

So it was really awkward and we went home early, next day he appeared to have fun in his birthday party but he barely spoke to me, like he was avoiding me the whole time, so I just got drunk and went to stay with a friend. This was on Saturday and I haven't gone back home yet, and he hasn't called or texted me.

Reddit, am I in the wrong? did I make a crappy purchase or is he being a jerk? I feel terrible and cried myself to sleep last night but my friend says he's the jerk...feedback is very appreciated.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

lol what a loving butthole. i bet it's audio gear

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
gently caress that guy. My wife is totally frugal, and gets stuff way below retail all the time. Her thrifting is like adding 20k to our annual income. This guy is just stupid. Retail is for suckers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rookie mistake on her part, don't mention that you saved money, let him think you blew a lot of cash, he'll be more grateful.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
At least she'll be saving on the wedding, too!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not sure why you would be upset that money was saved.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Gaunab posted:

I'm not sure why you would be upset that money was saved.

https://twitter.com/pr0spector88/status/439217057994117120

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

is she sure this dude is 33 loving years old because holy poo poo what a baby

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FormatAmerica posted:

lol what a loving butthole. i bet it's audio gear

Nah, nerdier. I bet it was a drone.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lockback posted:

Nah, nerdier. I bet it was a drone.

That was my first guess right away. Someone I know got super into drones for like, three months. His wife got him a small one to start with to learn how to control the drat things and for a few weeks he was a giant piss baby about it because it wasn't one of the super expensive high end ones. So she caved, bought him an expensive one then like a month later told me all about how on its first flight he crashed it into a tree. :shrug:

People obsessed with tech gadgets are weird and annoy me. But hey, I have like four phones because people I know keep upgrading asap and giving me their old ones for free because they don't want it anymore even if it works fine. That's how I got my 360, too. Co-worker bought an xbone and was just going to throw it out and I was like "I'll buy it off you if you don't want it" and so I got a 360 for the price of lunch.

This is a long rear end one so I'm not going to post the whole thing but here is the crazy plot twist;

quote:

My [28M] Best Friend [24F] has been staying with me. Found a camera in my bathroom. Thinks I placed it there.
UPDATE 2: They sent over 2 officers this morning and after looking at the camera and taking our statements, they asked if I consented to larger more invasive search of my apartment. I did and they sent for more people and I called the building manager. They went through my apartment and unfortunately it gets worse. They found 2 more cameras. 1 inside a ceiling speaker in my kitchen, and 1 hard installed in my book case which overlooked my bed. They also found 2 audio recorders installed. 1 inside a lamp and a much more hardcore one with a transmitter installed INSIDE my desk frame. The desk recorder was dead and out of power, the one in the lamp was still going since it was in-line with the light fixture. The really concerning one is the recorder in the bookcase. It had a Wi-Fi capability, but it wasn't connected to my Wi-Fi. It was wired into the electrical directly (not like plugged in...) and had a wire antenna running through the wall into the window frame nearby...someone spent a while installing it.

The only good news I have is that they know who did it, and I'm off the hook. They are examining the bigger camera and audio recorders to see what they recorded but the bathroom camera allowed access via USB. They scanned the clips and lo and behold, there was video of the fucker setting it up and testing it. I don't know what they plan to do next but I gave them his name, address, and all the details I have. I feel incredibly violated...I've known him for over 10 years and were pretty close. He's in another state which makes it much more complicated but he's due here in a couple of weeks...I'm supposed to sit tight and let the officers know when he's in town. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to keep a straight face talking to him...
So was like, weird uncle jerry just watching this guy for god knows how long until his friend stumbled on the camera?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me [32 F] with my Husband [33 M] 5 Years, Fired three times in a year; I think he's the problem.

quote:

EDITED/UPDATE BELOW!

Throwaway, because we are both redditors and people know us.

I need to preface this by saying that my husband is a good person. He is a wonderful father and an amazing partner. He is a hard worker and just really wants to do good work. His problem is that he's a smart guy with lots of ideas and steps of people's toes too much. I am looking for advice on how I need to better approach these conversations with him, because I am starting to feel myself pull away from him.

Before this last crazy year, my husband worked 4 years for the same company. He jumped ship after he was looked over for a promotion and pay raise twice. We both knew he was taking on a certain amount of risk, but he landed a contract to hire job at a big company where there was a lot of resources available for him to succeed, so we were not worried about it.

A few months after he started, he started complaining about his boss. He complained about how he hated being a clock puncher. Complaining that his boss was never around and she did EVERYTHING wrong and everyone seemed okay with the status quo.

I encouraged and supported him as best as I could, while encouraging him to continue to apply for other jobs and interview while he still had a job, just in case he did not want to stay there or they did not convert him to full-time after his contract was over.

Long story short, he did not keep his head down and search for other jobs, and one misstep later, his boss terminated his one year contract after 6 months for "conflicting management style".

I worked in HR. I know what that means.

His next contract gig lasted him a week, and then he approached me with the idea of not going back to work full-time, but starting his own company. It would mean spending all of the money we had saved on a downpayment for a house to support us and his business during this time.

I made him promise he would try and seek gainful employment while trying to launch his startup. He promised, and then never delivered. He did not look for any other jobs until after he was turned down for venture capital on several fronts.

He landed another contract gig after we had depleted our entire savings and racked up 10K in credit card debt.

This new job was also a one year contract to hire position. The company was going through a restructure, so all he had to do was keep his head down, do a good job, and work hard. Instead, he tried to change the way everyone did things, manage to get into a pissing match with a female employee who was BFF's with HIS BOSS and sure enough, he was called into her office after only six months on the job and fired.

I am at my wits end. I am furious and angry at hurt. How hard is it to just do your job when you have three kids and a wife at home? How hard is to to STOP ASSUMING RISK when you're already in a vulnerable position?

I am in school right now, AND I work 25 hours a week. We have three kids at home. We are also in escrow on our very first house after rebuilding our savings from last summer. Unless he starts a job next week, we are going to lose our house and we have to be out of our rental in June.

Maybe this is just an anomaly. I don't know. It feels like a pattern to me. When we met, he had been laid off from his employer and the job before that he was fired after only a few months. The only long stint he had was the four years at the larger company (and he complained about that constantly, too).

I am at my wits end. I came home from work today and he was eating ice cream sandwiches with two of our kids. I asked if he had followed up on any of his leads from last week.

Nope.

I tried talking to him about how he comes across to people (arrogant know it all) when he walks into an office and tells people they are doing things wrong and tries to make a bunch of big changes. I tried telling him he needs to find a good balance between being a leader and being a good employee. I spent a decade in HR, this is valuable knowledge that I am bringing to the table. It seems to fall on deaf ears.

Reddit, what do I do? I don't know how to handle this situation anymore. I don't know if this is a pattern of behavior, or if this is just a run of bad luck. How do I stop hating my husband for being perpetually unemployed and putting our family at risk because he can't get his poo poo together?

tl;dr: Husband keeps getting fired from jobs, is the major income earner, is now putting our family at risk (the deal on our house is about to fall through) and I am starting to hate him because this is a problem he can fix. How do I deal with him and my feelings overall?

***Small update: First, thank you everyone for your input. I took a lot of the advice here into the conversation that I had with him last night once kids were settled.

Points I took away from the chat:

1. He does not feel like he has a problem with female bosses; he thinks that lovely companies and lovely management is the problem.

2. He does not know this, but he made a comment about his job hunting that did not make sense. A recruiter had reached out to him specifically about a less than desirable job. I asked if he followed up, he said yes and that he never heard back. I snooped through his email; he never replied to the woman. He also had a recruiter contact him this evening asking about a position about a company he had specifically mentioned would not be ideal to work for. I told him it wasn't like we had a choice; he just needs a job right now regardless. So, he's lying to me now. He's acting like he has all of the time in the world to find some magical match for him on the employment front.

Still have no idea what to do.

****Update 2: I wish I could reply to everyone right now, but I have to get to work. I am wondering if showing him this thread would hurt or help at this point.
How do you get older than 30 without realizing that pissing off your boss is a bad idea?

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 1, 2016

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
my husband is a wonderful man who can't hold down a job because he's an insufferable rear end in a top hat who constantly oversteps his boundaries

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There was an update, and not only is he an insufferable douchebag, but it sounds like he doesn't actually want a job.

quote:

Hey Reddit. I got an inbox full of requests for an update, and my original post got a lot more attention than I thought it would, so I figured I would post an update.

Unfortunately, my update is a sad one. We are going on week 5 of my husband's unemployment and he still has no job offers. He has had several prospects, quite a few phone interviews and exactly one in-person interview. As of right now, it's not looking like he will be back to work even in the next few weeks, despite having promised me every week for the last three weeks that he would have a job offer.

If he doesn't have a job offer before Wednesday, we will lose the house. To try and prepare for this, we filled out a bunch of rental applications because we have to be out of the house we are currently living in in less than three weeks. All of our applications were denied as my husband HAS NO INCOME. So it looks like we will be living in someone's basement in short order.

Several people mentioned me going back to work full-time and sadly, that is not an option. My company isn't in a position to make me a full-time offer and won't be until mid-summer (I've had this conversation with my boss). My job offer is contingent upon my continued studies, so school isn't something I can just drop right now.

Based on the advice I received here as well as from a close friend, I have tried to approach him several times about what the problem could be, or how we might try a different way of figuring this out. Every single time, I was met with being accused of stressing him out, making him anxious and eventually, getting blamed for being the source of his nervousness (which he later said affected how his phone interviews went).

I have asked if he has followed up regarding certain opportunities and he tells me I am making him anxious asking for updates so often. Yesterday, in fact, he told me that no one gets a job by following up with recruiters. Hmm.

I understand how recruitment works, but I have to ask myself how someone can dedicate the hours of 9-5 to getting a job in a highly in demand field in an area that has jobs aplenty and still come up short. ONE in-person interview? I've asked him to forgo applications on websites and reach out to these hiring managers in person. Or on LinkedIn. Or anything but the conventional means of being hired. Nope.

Probably the most infuriating thing that has happened has been a warm lead on a opportunity. The COO of a small company reached out to him regarding a job that was a job title below the job he was working at previously. He was recommended to this COO by a former co-worker of my husbands, who works at the company currently.

In the course of a month, she reached out to him 6 different times by email. He never replied to a single one of her emails. Not even a "thanks so much for considering me" type thing. He told me he didn't respond to her because he didn't have to. And that he checked them out on Glassdoor and the reviews say it is a bad place to work and that they pay below market rates, so it would be a waste of his time.

At this juncture, I am not sure what to do about my marriage. I am having a hard time focusing on work and/or school right now, I am eating everything in sight and I am trying to pack up a house that we are going to end up putting into a storage unit and I have had actual nervous breakdowns three times in the last two weeks. That, and the neighborhood gossips have caught wind of our hard times and now that there is blood in the water, they are circling.

I don't want to break up my family, but I don't want to be married to someone I can't rely on anymore. Even if he did save the day and get a job in the next week or so, we could be in the same position in the not so distant future. I've already told him I'd like to go back to counseling as soon as we have access to the funds, or benefits, or both and he has agreed, but I have no idea if this arrogant, entitled attitude towards work is something that is so deeply ingrained that it can't be worked out.

I've had enough instability in my life and I kept hoping that my marriage and our family would continue to be a source of stability and it is not. I had more stability when I was on my own. It is a sad day when the saying "the only person you can count on is yourself" really rings true.

tl;dr: Husband is still jobless, we're days away from losing our home, and he still hasn't learned a drat thing from this whole process. Still not sure what I am going to do about my marriage.

Edited: words and spacing
She married a real winner.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Why does that rear end in a top hat keep getting job offers even. Here I am really needing a new job and I can't get poo poo. But that dick gets enough job offers he has the luxury of just throwing them away just so he can be an rear end in a top hat to his wife.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Whoever posted this you're flying too close to the sun; DO NOT TOUCH THE POOP

quote:

My (28M) girlfriend (26F) of 7 months still lives with her ex and I'm conflicted. Am I a dirty little secret?

So my girlfriend Lizzy still lives with her ex boyfriend whom shes been with for 7 years before i came into the picture. The first three months of our relationship was the greatest time of my life. She came to see me everyday. She texted me huge texts like non stop. She was calling me every day and night. She made a point to make me feel loved as well as making a point to tell me just how much she loves me. She was always doing something nice for me. and the sex... was.phenomenal. I mean like 100/10 good. She would surprise me some mornings with the 3Bs. I woke up to a blowjob at least once a week. Now here's where the sketchy stuff starts. So month four rolls around and we decided we want to move in together. It was her plan not mine. I didn't need convincing though, I was all in. So we made plans. Well the literal day before we were set to move in her grandmother had some medical issues and wound up in the hospital. We were moving out of state but that was obviously canceled now because grandma needs her. So I accepted that for what it was and we made new plans. We planned to move in to her grandmothers house so I could keep my job and she was basically going to be a live in nurse. Well grandmas been in the hospital for like 3 months now "supposedly". I called the hospital and asked for her condition because my girlfriend decided to start "going to visit grandma" in full makeup and dresses and poo poo but I couldn't come. She literally told me that I am not welcome there. Anyways grandma is not in the hospital. I confronted her and she told me she was moved to another hospital nearby for a procedure. I called every goddamn hospital in my state and grandmas not in any of them. To top that off I know where grandma lives because she wanted to "show me the house we'll be raising a family in" so yea I took a mental note of the address and have been back just to drive by 3 times. The lights are always off so I haven't been able to confirm whether or not she's home or even real. Anyways so my girlfriend and I have a new plan. I am to wait patiently for her (my gf) to work two jobs from home(her and her exs home) so she can "prove to the courts that she's a capable single mother". She's worried that when we move in together her ex will take the kids and take her to court and she'll lose her children. So for that reason she's got two jobs now working from her ex's home where she lives with her him and their children. So now she keeps telling me she loves me everyday BUT she has not made any time for me in almost 2 months now. At best I get a phone call when I'm on my lunch break (when her ex isn't home because he works too) and a few short two or three word response texts from me. She never calls me after 330 when he gets home and she barely texts me. Also because I feel it's relevant she has not touched me in a sexual manner in almost 2 months. First she was on her period. Then she got a yeast infection. Then her birth control made her nauseas. Then she caught some kind of infection in her ladyparts because apparently she ripped a stitch out shortly after having a birth control implant put inside her which has resulted in a constant sickness so sex of any kind is forbidden. She has told me that she is too busy for me everyday for weeks. Too busy to talk or even text. She told me that she just doesn't have enough time with her two jobs and being a full time mom to have anything to do with me. She is adamant that I just "hang on" for two months while she "builds a case" so she can leave with joint custody at least. But.... I'm starting to think she's full of poo poo and I was just some good dick on the side. I really am in love with this woman but I think I'm getting played. I think 2 months from now when all these plans are supposed to be set into motion that she'll either have some new excuse or she'll just straight up tell me the truth. I want to marry this woman but I don't trust her anymore. If everything she's told me is true then she's the unluckiest person on the loving planet because right before our lives are supposed to change a ridiculously convenient scenario stops us in our tracks. I'm pretty much already dedicated to wait patiently for these next two months to see if dreams really do come true. But part of me can see what's really going on. Now the other side wants to hope but I just don't know anymore.

TLDR: my gf lives with her ex and I think I'm being lead on. I think I'm a secret and sooner or later she'll just leave me behind for her real boyfriend. Advise me please.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

quote:

My [28M] Best Friend [24F] has been staying with me. Found a camera in my bathroom. Thinks I placed it there.
UPDATE 2: They sent over 2 officers this morning and after looking at the camera and taking our statements, they asked if I consented to larger more invasive search of my apartment. I did and they sent for more people and I called the building manager. They went through my apartment and unfortunately it gets worse. They found 2 more cameras. 1 inside a ceiling speaker in my kitchen, and 1 hard installed in my book case which overlooked my bed. They also found 2 audio recorders installed. 1 inside a lamp and a much more hardcore one with a transmitter installed INSIDE my desk frame. The desk recorder was dead and out of power, the one in the lamp was still going since it was in-line with the light fixture. The really concerning one is the recorder in the bookcase. It had a Wi-Fi capability, but it wasn't connected to my Wi-Fi. It was wired into the electrical directly (not like plugged in...) and had a wire antenna running through the wall into the window frame nearby...someone spent a while installing it.

The only good news I have is that they know who did it, and I'm off the hook. They are examining the bigger camera and audio recorders to see what they recorded but the bathroom camera allowed access via USB. They scanned the clips and lo and behold, there was video of the fucker setting it up and testing it. I don't know what they plan to do next but I gave them his name, address, and all the details I have. I feel incredibly violated...I've known him for over 10 years and were pretty close. He's in another state which makes it much more complicated but he's due here in a couple of weeks...I'm supposed to sit tight and let the officers know when he's in town. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to keep a straight face talking to him...

*every redditor with current spy cams running in their tenants bathrooms checks schedule in two weeks to check if crossing state lines*

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Me [34M] with my fiancee [30F], been together 5 years, I am ungrateful, she is self-centered...how do we communicate better?

quote:

I've been with my girlfriend for five and a half years, we're due to get married in November 2017. We've had our ups and downs, including a major one last year that nearly killed the relationship, but I think we came out stronger for it.
However one recurring problem is around communication. I'm a pretty independent person and tend not to get insecure or need reassurance from others. My girlfriend says she needs verbal affection and I'm cool with that. I try to tell her how much she means to me, how much I enjoy having her in my love, etc. Sometimes though I feel like this need is so all-consuming that it eliminates empathy, even to the point of having narcissistic traits.
This came up in a dramatic way last Friday. I had surgery under general anesthetic Friday morning and she came to visit me in the afternoon. At dinner time I suggested if she wanted I could ask the nurses to give her an extra portion and she accepted. When dinner came she moved the table to a position I couldn't reach (I can't sit down because of the surgery) and kept trying to fiddle with it. I asked her to just eat her food so that when she was finished I could eat mine and she got really angry. To be fair I probably sounded irritated when I said it - I was still groggy and I hadn't eaten for about 18 hours.

She said I wasn't appreciating everything she was doing for me and got really angry to the point where she stood up, raising her voice, face red and with tears in her eyes. I told her calm down and she told me I was in the wrong and needed to apologize and then thank her for all she was doing for me. To be clear, the extent of what she had done was bring me a change of clothes, which I thanked her for. It was a shared room and I both felt bad for the other people recovering from / going into the operating theatre and was embarrassed. When she was done with her food I said maybe it would be a good idea for her to take a walk while I eat to calm down and she refused. Because of where she sat (and refused to move) I wasn't able to get at the table to eat. I asked her to please leave and she refused again.

Eventually I asked a nurse if she wouldn't mind asking my visitor to leave while I ate dinner and she told the nurse she wouldn't move because she's "done nothing wrong - he should apologize". The nurse couldn't do anything without calling the police (which of course I didn't want...I just didn't want to argue while groggy, hungry and in pain) so they set me up in a waiting room and wouldn't tell her where it was.

This kind of thing happens pretty often. Today when she got home from work she immediately started arguing with me (I'm out of hospital but pretty much welded to the couch) because I didn't thank her for saying she'd get dinner. She didn't actually get dinner, just said she would if I wanted. Any time I want space she'll get angry and very often physically block me from going into another room, or stand in the way so I can't close a door.
All of the above is from my side. If she were to post she'd talk about how I never tell her what I want and that's what causes these arguments. The reality is I don't want anything in particular from here. On how she acts in these arguments she says it's because I'm not emotional and I always want everyone to be calm to the point of not really engaging.

I get that it takes two to tango. I try to make sure I thank her when she does something for me but for whatever reason I just can't get through. I'm just bad at, I guess, small-talk so when she says "I thought about doing xyz for you" I miss the cue and say something like "oh cool" or "that's nice" or "ok" which sets her off.

For info, we're already seeing a couple's therapist but I don't think this particular area is their forte...they mostly talk about our childhoods and honesty.

This guy is in total denial. His comments are "She always feels bad about it a few hours afterwards and says it wont happen again" and "...If we imagine this kind of thing happens at noon, by 3pm she'll be feeling bad about it and saying it won't happen again and by 5pm she won't want to think or talk about it anymore. If she knew I was seeking advice here she'd even get angry about that. When I suggested it before she said even with anonymity she considers it me publicly shaming her"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The best way to teach your son how to manage his money is to strong arm his friends into covering for him.

My 21M BF's 21M Friends dad 50M? is asking us to pay for his sons beer because he bought too much and won't take the beer back... we don't want it.

quote:

Bit of a confusing title, sorry about that. Names changed.
Basically on Saturday night my BF invited his friend Jim over because I was going out to a Halloween party. Plan was for them to play a bit of Xbox and have a beer or two. Jim shows up with 32 beers, way too many! My BF tells him this but he shrugs it off and I leave. They have a takeaway and Jim pays. Jim leaves at about 12am as he was falling asleep on our sofa. They drank like 2 beers each.
Me and my BF aren't big drinkers of beer, so my BF asked Jim if he was taking the beer home with him as we don't really drink it and also he paid for it so it's his, Jim said "no it's okay I don't want it."
Edit: So Monday comes along So, on my way home I get a call from my BF saying Jim and his dad are at our house but by time I get home they're gone.
My BF tells me what happened. Basically Jim has been spending too much money lately and his Dad has taken control of his finances. His dad feels that he spent too much on beer and wants us to pay for it all. He told my BF to transfer money right there and then but luckily my BF doesn't know his online banking details as I sort all the finances out. I told my BF to pay for his half of the takeaway and to tell Jim to come pick the beer up as we don't want it, we didn't ask for it.
Jim's Dad says he's going to text my BF an amount he wants him to pay (I'm unaware of the price right now but will update on that when I know) I don't want to pay for this beer, I think he should just collect it and that's that.
I know people will just say oh it's not that much money but we didn't plan to purchase 28 bottles of beer and it's the expensive stuff too.
I'll just add that Jim isn't really bothered about the money and it's all fuelled by his dad.
Tldr: BFs friends dad is demanding us to pay for the beer his son bought to drink at our house, they don't want the actual beer of which 4/32 were drank and want the money instead, I think they should just take the beer back as we don't want it and didn't ask him to buy that many...
I'm also upset they turned up unannounced and tried to pressure my BF into handing over money.
What should I do if they insist on money?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I [29M] had to lie to my girlfriend [22F] because she won't ever take no for an answer. She found out and now she's mad at me. How do I fix this?

quote:

My girlfriend, Linda, and I work at the same company with similar jobs. This is her first job outside of college, I've been working there for a couple years. Since it's her first job, she's really putting in the over-time and trying to make a good impression. Which is cool and all, I support that. The problem is that once a week she asks me to stay after work and help her out a bit, or go and run errands with her.

Now, I already work a 40 hour week. When I'm off the clock I just want to do my own thing. Go to the gym, play basketball with friends, chill at home, whatever. So I lied to her. I know, I know, lying is wrong. But here's the thing: my girlfriend will. not. take. no. for an answer. If I tell her no, she always asks "why". And then I have to give a reason. And if she deems it not good enough, she argues with me and it turns into this whole big thing I'd rather not deal with. My lie wasn't complex or intricate or life ruining or anything of the sort. I just told her I have to pick up my niece and nephew from after school daycare, so I can't stay late.

And this has worked pretty well for the last few months. It's not unbelievable; my brother and SIL work long hours and after school care only lasts until 5:30. But then, last week, she found out. She had scheduled to work late and then decided not to. She wanted to surprise me at my place (she has a key), and when she got there she noticed I was home.

Anyway, now she's pissed as gently caress at me. I tried to explain the situation. Yes, I know I lied and that's wrong. But I'm under no obligation to help her at work and I didn't want to feel obligated. She's a big girl now and needs to do her own work just like everyone else.

How do I fix this? I don't want her to be mad at me anymore, but she won't even talk to me.

tl;dr: I lied to my girlfriend to get out of helping her with overtime work because she never takes a simple no for an answer. She found out and is pissed as hell. How do I fix it?

This is the good poo poo. It's entirely his own dumb fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
He fixes it by breaking up with that controlling lunatic.