Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's fun to think about how other candidates would be doing now but we were gifted an unflappable female candidate to oppose a gross misogynist and sexual predator. People talk about optics but this is the sort of match-up you only get when planets align. I voted for Sanders but I absolutely get why many people consider HRC the perfect candidate for this weirdass election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
CNN's viewership has been tanking steadily for years and they are going to try anything to get those numbers up. If you were to watch Network (1976) today, you probably wouldn't recognize it as satire.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

socialsecurity posted:

I still want to know why you are obsessed with this, you mention this several times a day in multiple versions of this thread now.

I'm obsessed with it because it's the reason why a racist sociopath fool like Trump is within the margin of error a week before the election. And it's the reason why the Dems aren't going to pick up 10 senate seats and 40 seats in the house even though the republicans have the worst candidate in modern history at the top of the ticket.

Crows Turn Off posted:

I mean, sure, the Democratic voters chose her in the primaries, but they should just go gently caress themselves, right?

They made a bad choice.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Agrajag posted:

Also targeting Huma for criticism because of Weiner being a creepy pedo is pretty low.
I'm still so surprised why Huma's not been played up much more in this campaign. She actually is muslim.

kaleedity posted:

I wonder if the repubs would be calling bernard sanders out for his honeymooning in the soviet union alongside trump sucking putin's dick
Haha yes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's great that you know what's best for them.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

"X would be doing better" just gives legitimacy to the completely unfounded Hillary hate bandwagon. If a group of people spent 30+ years and millions of dollars doing everything they can to make you look crooked and criminal, even if they never had any smoking gun evidence, your reputation would be poo poo too. Instead of falling for the bait it's time to start rebuking it.

Hillary has flaws like any other politician but she's got a lifelong record of trying to help people and fighting for incremental, achievable progress. She's gonna be a perfectly fine Commander in Chief.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Night10194 posted:

Impeaching a Clinton to try to destroy their reputation didn't work last time and won't work this time.

Republicans controlled the Presidency, the Senate, and the House not too long afterwards.

Americans are sheep controlled by their better herders, and there's no organization better at herding sheep than the Bush-Clinton alliance.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dexo posted:

It's a bad choice politically.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Radish posted:

Yeah they'd be calling Bernie a commie pinko while saying that Putin is a great leader of a proud people in the same sentence. They have no issues redefining reality on the fly and have no concrete ideology other than FYGM and bigotry. It's what makes campaigning on actual issues incredibly difficult since nothing matters to a chunk of the population.

:agreed: I do wish content mattered more than whatever bullshit it is that makes current US conservatives' dicks hard

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

They made a bad choice.

"I, mcmagic, know better than literally millions of people. My will should supersede their choices."

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tricky D posted:

CNN's viewership has been tanking steadily for years and they are going to try anything to get those numbers up. If you were to watch Network (1976) today, you probably wouldn't recognize it as satire.

I watched it a couple weeks ago and laughed my rear end off at the (((globalism))) rant near the end. But yeah it's hella accurate, which just goes to show this descent into poo poo media has been happening for half a century

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I'm obsessed with it because it's the reason why a racist sociopath fool like Trump is within the margin of error a week before the election. And it's the reason why the Dems aren't going to pick up 10 senate seats and 40 seats in the house even though the republicans have the worst candidate in modern history at the top of the ticket.

You claim it is. You have absolutely no proof otherwise beyond "but polls taken literally months ago for a candidate who never was seriously the focus of attacks say he'd be doing better!" You also take it for granted that every bit of support Clinton has Sanders would also have in the same or better measures.

Like basically the only group Hillary could be reasonably doing better with are white men who, shockingly are Trump's strongest supporters. Do you think white men would leave Trump for Sanders?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

I'm obsessed with it because it's the reason why a racist sociopath fool like Trump is within the margin of error a week before the election
I think you're being too optimistic here.

Dexo posted:

I don't think mcmagic is saying the democratic choice should have been ignored. Just that they disagree with that choice.

WampaLord posted:

"I, mcmagic, know better than literally millions of people.
I, Cingulate, know better than literally over one hundred million Americans.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Counterpoint: Hillary will make an awesome president, and all this counterfactual Tim Kaine/Sanders/etc. trades a potentially safer candidate (though I'm honestly not buying it) for a less capable president.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Tom Guycot posted:

Don't forget the increase in voter disenfranchisement thats gone on since 2012.

Yes, it's this. Now that early voting in NC has been expanded to its regular levels, the AA vote is catching up. It might be slightly lower than 2012, but it'll be made up by the increase in Hispanic vote.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Nevada EV update: Clark firewall at 48k, same as 2012

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/793449246259228672

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

cult member at airport posted:

"X would be doing better" just gives legitimacy to the completely unfounded Hillary hate bandwagon. If a group of people spent 30+ years and millions of dollars doing everything they can to make you look crooked and criminal, even if they never had any smoking gun evidence, your reputation would be poo poo too. Instead of falling for the bait it's time to start rebuking it.

Hillary has flaws like any other politician but she's got a lifelong record of trying to help people and fighting for incremental, achievable progress. She's gonna be a perfectly fine Commander in Chief.

I agree that most of the scandals against her are completely unfounded and that she will probably be a fine Commander in Chief other than on foreign policy. Those facts are both pretty irrelevant politically. Her unfavorables were baked in the cake before the election started.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tim Kaine is FINE as a VP but as a candidate he's boring and practically a no-name outside of the safe state of Virginia. He'd be a terrible choice to go up against Donald Trump.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ImpAtom posted:

Like basically the only group Hillary could be reasonably doing better with are white men who, shockingly are Trump's strongest supporters. Do you think white men would leave Trump for Sanders?

I think he'd be doing a lot better with white men than Clinton, and a lot worse with everyone else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I agree that most of the scandals against her are completely unfounded and that she will probably be a fine Commander in Chief other than on foreign policy. Those facts are both pretty irrelevant politically. Her unfavorables were baked in the cake before the election started.

Again, she is doing well with every single group that isn't white men.

Do you think Bernie Sanders would somehow have grabbed white men away from Donald Trump in particularly significant numbers?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You claim it is. You have absolutely no proof otherwise beyond "but polls taken literally months ago for a candidate who never was seriously the focus of attacks say he'd be doing better!" You also take it for granted that every bit of support Clinton has Sanders would also have in the same or better measures.

Yeah, honestly, we have no real basis to assume that anyone would be doing better or worse than Clinton at this stage of the game. We really don't.

General election polls during the primary aren't in any way predictive of the actual general election, especially with a big difference in the focus the other party gives to the candidate. Many of the Republican candidates positioned themselves as running against Clinton from day one of their candidacy. Hell, Clinton came up during their primary debates because they (like a lot of people) assumed she'd be the Democratic nominee, so they started running against her early. Bernie Sanders didn't have that kind of focus from the opposition, so it's natural he'd be polling better against them during the primaries.

We have absolutely no way of knowing how he'd poll now. We don't know if maybe there actually was some dirt on him, or if how he'd have performed at the debates, or what avenues of crazy conspiracy attacks Trump would take against him. We just have no idea and it's pointless to speculate.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ImpAtom posted:

Again, she is doing well with every single group that isn't white men.

Do you think Bernie Sanders would somehow have grabbed white men away from Donald Trump in particularly significant numbers?

Conversely, he showed zero aptitude for mobilizing minority voters during the Democratic primary, so why would we expect him to reproduce Clinton's overpowering advantage in that area in the general election race?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Radish posted:

Tim Kaine is FINE as a VP but as a candidate he's boring and practically a no-name outside of the safe state of Virginia. He'd be a terrible choice to go up against Donald Trump.

Generic Democrat beats Trump by 10. Kaine was a popular senator and governor from a purple state with zero scandals in his background. He would be cruising.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Shock endorsement!

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/793450901092438017

Scott Walker posted:

If you like the past 8 years, vote @HillaryClinton.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Mcmagic why are the only two democrats you frequently hate on and call unelectable a woman and a black person

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think he'd be doing a lot better with white men than Clinton, and a lot worse with everyone else.

Pretty much and white men are going to go with Trump over the Democrat in the end since :suicide:.

mcmagic posted:

Generic Democrat beats Trump by 10. Kaine was a popular senator and governor from a purple state with zero scandals in his background. He would be cruising.

Generic politicians always poll better than actual people since they are an ideal and have no actual scandals, voting history, personality quirks, or any other problems.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I'd have voted for him. And i live in a contested swing state with ~30 EVs, so unlike you plebes my vote actually does matter :smug:

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 1, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Any reason to worry over Hillary not doing as well with black people as in 2012? Or just unfounded due to her not being Obama?

Team Rocket is still absolutely certain that the only reason African American voters have ever shown up to the polls was to vote Obama in. The GOP are, collectively, very very stupid when it comes to politics that don't exist entirely within their tent.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Remember when people, myself included, were worried he might Smiler himself into the nomination? Good, simpler times.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Chokes McGee posted:

You'd think this, and it's true for at least this election cycle, but IIRC CNN's overall ratings are in the toilet and the way they've conducted themselves this year isn't gonna help.

That has nothing to do with Clinton News Network in buyout talks for the majority of this election, and they've been very favorable to Obama for the past eight years while being absolutely horrible at covering Syria and Russia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mcmagic posted:

generic democrat does better than everyone.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gyges posted:

So now that we've just got 7 days left, I feel like we should be talking about a real October "Surprise"

Donald Trump can't read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LFkN7QGp2c

What do you call an October surprise in November?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Nobody is running against Generic Democrat because Generic Democrat isn't a real person, with real policies, votes to criticize, past dirt to dig up.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Also mcmagic why are all your preferable alternatives to the woman and black man all white men

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

mcmagic posted:

mcmagic, do you remember how in TFF, you had your one shining moment where everyone went "HOLY poo poo MCMAGIC WAS RIGHT"?

Do you know why that is?

It's because you're as reliably wrong as Bill Kristol the rest of the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

"Generic Democrat" is a meaningless term because you're comparing a literal empty suit with no facts to an actual person. "Someone who is never attacked, never has to risk making mistakes and has generic policies would do better than a loudmouthed egotist who gaffs constantly" is true but also not actually proof that Bernie Sanders or Tim Kaine or literally anyone but Clinton would be doing significantly better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sanders would have failed in the general for similar reasons to why Ron Paul would have failed in the general. Being able to take the kinds of principled stances as a national senator that Sanders took is a luxury built on having a voting base that would continue supporting him on those principles, much like Paul did in Texas. Sanders was never put in a position where he was forced to compromise to defeat, say, a primary challenger. And he did well in the Democratic primary because he didn't have one of the major weaknesses long-standing politicians have in a primary: a self-contradictory voting record. A similar strength to Trump, who has no record at all. But maintaining ideological purity like that is a luxury not afforded to most politicians, and not one that exists in a presidential general election. Sanders would have been put in a tough position when it came time to either make his ideas appeal to the electorate as a whole, or pivot to more electable positions. I like Sanders, and I like a lot of his policies, and I tend to agree with him more than Clinton. But there's a lot more going on in a Presidential race.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
In any case, the VP debate didn't do wonders for my faith in Kaine as an attractive option at the top of the ticket.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mcmagic why are the only two democrats you frequently hate on and call unelectable a woman and a black person

Because they are centrist democrats who either are bad at their job (Booker) or bad at politics (Hillary).

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also mcmagic why are all your preferable alternatives to the woman and black man all white men

Untrue and dumb. Are you really desperate enough to try to argue this nonsense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mcmagic posted:

I actually think there isn't a candidate available to put up who could be doing better than her. Shes got at least the support Obama had, plus shes picked off women support from the GOP like no one else has and probably would have been able to.

If you want to blame the closeness, blame the media narrative and a GOP electorate that would vote for Hitler with a shrug as long as he was running as a republican.

• Locked thread