Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So is the Trump/ Russia stuff getting any kind of play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Endorph posted:

i mean tbf someone was just pitching what her favorables would be if she did run???

if someone's constantly banging on about it's annoying but thinking about what the hypothetical run would be like is just a thought exercise, idk how that's denying her agency any more than the hypothetical biden run

it's just a common thing I've seen people do and it's not specific to her, over the summer people were constantly talking about VP picks as if the person would be forced to accept if they were chosen (e.g. Omg what if trump picks Bernie?????)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

mcmagic posted:

The question was, a woman I would prefer to see run and who I think would be doing better.

There's a reason Republicans started their campaign against HRC 25 years ago.

She at the time was an obvious potential "could be the first female president".

Its about the last time they were honest aaaand here we are. In the meantime she's become the most qualified candidate in history and you want to pretend there are other women who could measure up.

I'm sorry but there's literally no other woman with her qualifications no matter how badly you wish it to be true, its objective fact.

She has to win so less qualified women can follow. If Jill stein wasn't a useless nutter there'd be a similar campaign started against her or any woman who had a real shot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

it's just a common thing I've seen people do and it's not specific to her, over the summer people were constantly talking about VP picks as if the person would be forced to accept if they were chosen (e.g. Omg what if trump picks Bernie?????)
i think that's just them being dumb

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RuanGacho posted:

There's a reason Republicans started their campaign against HRC 25 years ago.

She at the time was an obvious potential "could be the first female president".

Its about the last time they were honest aaaand here we are. In the meantime she's become the most qualified candidate in history and you want to pretend there are other women who could measure up.

I'm sorry but there's literally no other woman with her qualifications no matter how badly you wish it to be true, its objective fact.

She has to win so less qualified women can follow. If Jill stein wasn't a useless nutter there'd be a similar campaign started against her or any woman who had a real shot.

You are completely missing the point of my argument here but whatever.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
"Jesse Jackson would have been up by 10 points." - mcmagic, 1988

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Christ mcmagic... go post on /pol/ or something.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Phone posted:

Yeah, it is, you dumbass.

Donald J Trump is the most qualified and competent candidate the GOP could put forward.

I disagree. The GOP has more qualified people, just like the democrats have better people. poo poo, however, floats.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mcmagic posted:

By that logic it's really clear that Trump was the republican's best general election candidate, right?

I mean technically, he is. :v: No other candidate would've turned out the base as well and most of them would've been just as toxic to other parts of the electorate.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

Phone posted:

You live in Florida and aren't actively trying to get out.

This isn't something to brag about.

OTOH, we'll hopefully secure this election. Woo?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

"Jesse Jackson would have been up by 10 points." - mcmagic, 1988

"Bernie Sanders would have been up by 10 points" - mcmagic, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Endorph posted:

i mean, in the sense that he was exactly what the republican party wanted, deep down in their heart of hearts, yeah.

And they wanted the wrong person if the goal was winning the white house and having coattails down ballot. That's just a fact.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Have the polls stopped dipping for Hilary following the FBI crying wolf yet?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

"Ties to Clinton" isn't a negative, says the person arguing Hillary Clinton shouldn't have run despite running the primary and has lead the general for almost the entire campaign because she is so unpopular.

Given the Clinton's positions and roles for the last, oh, twenty-plus years, doesn't 'has ties to the Clintons' encompass like half of all national-level Dems anyway?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I know the last thing this thread needs is more Arzying but I'm sorry I can't help it.

As a Transwoman I am terrified that, if Trump wins I might be out of a job. That a Trump presidensey would give people permission to make my life hell. To make sure I'm stuck living with my parents till I'm 60.

I know everyone is saying the opposite but...gently caress.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

BigRed0427 posted:

So is the Trump/ Russia stuff getting any kind of play?

Nah

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
"Geraldine Ferraro would have been up by 14 points." - mcmagic, 1984

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

BarbarianElephant posted:

I don't like the idea of "popular politician's wife = followup to politician." It's so... dynastic (sideways dynastic.)

Hey, Debbie Dingell is doing great work for my district as the followup to her husband. And now that her husband is retired he's an amazing tweeter.

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/788939493130788864

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

And they wanted the wrong person if the goal was winning the white house and having coattails down ballot. That's just a fact.

Wait, I thought Trump was within the margin of error and a real threat because Hillary is so bad, which is it?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Grouchio posted:

They never actually dipped. Her numbers have held steady for months without any real change, only Donald's have gone up and down based on his own scandals and poo poo.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Grouchio posted:

They never did.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Non Serviam posted:

Before the other thread got closed, somebody suggested I was a troll for saying Obama is a war criminal. Well, the use of unmanned drones against civilian populations does qualify as that.
The murder of Al Awlaki, and that of his son, murdered without due process, despite being American citizens, was also a criminal act.

It's ok if you want to say Romney would have been worse, or that Trump shouldn't be president (and he really shouldn't) but don't whitewash the terrorist foreign policy of the US just because your guy was in charge when it happened. These are the same kinds of things people berated Bush for.

And all of this without mentioning the fact that the Obama administration has been the one that has gone against the most whistle blowers.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/10/barack-obama-on-5-days-that-shaped-his-presidency.html
Have you read this one? I think Obama's discussion of the drone issue here is very sensible.

And it really cannot be forgotten what the alternatives were. Compared to Iraq or Vietnam, drone strikes are a massive improvement.

Dr.Smasher posted:

Christ mcmagic... go post on /pol/ or something.
Why can't you people deal with dissent in a nuanced, civil way?

"mcmagic, I disagree - I think you're overstating Clinton's unfavourabilities and underestimating her strengths. For example, ..."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mcmagic posted:

By that logic it's really clear that Trump was the republican's best general election candidate, right?

Donald Trump had won in a similar situation to how Bernie had lost. They were both outsider candidates pushing against the Overton Window of the party. What does it say that Bernie's populism failed against the part of the nation most likely to support it? How does that make for a strong general election?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Wait, I thought Trump was within the margin of error and a real threat because Hillary is so bad, which is it?

You really need to take a 100 level logic course.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Sorry, it's been going on for months and we've finally hit our breaking point. I admit it seems insane if this is the first mcmagic derail you've seen, but there have been literally dozens.

mcmagic posted:

You really need to take a 100 level logic course.

:ironicat:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cingulate posted:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/10/barack-obama-on-5-days-that-shaped-his-presidency.html
Have you read this one? I think Obama's discussion of the drone issue here is very sensible.

And it really cannot be forgotten what the alternatives were. Compared to Iraq or Vietnam, drone strikes are a massive improvement.

"mcmagic, I disagree - I think you're overstating Clinton's unfavourabilities and underestimating her strengths. For example, ..."

We have dozens of times he just ignores it and posts the same stuff again, this has been going on for months.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

And this right here is why you're full of poo poo mcmagic. You consistently and constantly assume that literally none of Hillary Clinton's support is due to her. You begin from the viewpoint of "anyone could get what Hillary Clinton does." You're hiding behind your Blue Dog Google Choice because what you're actually saying is "there's no way this woman could ever have gotten REAL support, they're just voting for her because she's a Democrat!"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Okay. So... Hillary Clinton wins the democratic primary and then proceeds to win the general. This means nobody wants her to be president because ????

As far as 45-48% of Americans are concerned, Hillary Clinton is less deserving of the presidency of the united states than a failed businessman, serial sexual assaulter, and inveterate racist with an attention span no longer than five seconds.

Of the list of options presented, she is the least unpalatable.

Do not confuse this with popularity.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

And this right here is why you're full of poo poo mcmagic. You consistently and constantly assume that literally none of Hillary Clinton's support is due to her. You begin from the viewpoint of "anyone could get what Hillary Clinton does."

That is completely irrelevant to any point I've actually been making but sure.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

I know the last thing this thread needs is more Arzying but I'm sorry I can't help it.

As a Transwoman I am terrified that, if Trump wins I might be out of a job. That a Trump presidensey would give people permission to make my life hell. To make sure I'm stuck living with my parents till I'm 60.

I know everyone is saying the opposite but...gently caress.
You won't be. If you're living in a state with job protections for gender identity, Trump won't change that. If you're living in one without, the risk already exists and it hasn't happened. Federal policy could expand anti-discrimination protections, but it really can't prevent states from protecting people.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It isn't a fact though. Stop acting like your opinions and misinterpretation of data qualify as fact.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ze Pollack posted:

As far as 45-48% of Americans are concerned, Hillary Clinton is less deserving of the presidency of the united states than a failed businessman, serial sexual assaulter, and inveterate racist with an attention span no longer than five seconds.

And there is no particular proof that 45% of America would have felt differently about a different candidate. They certainly didn't feel that way about Barack Obama.

mcmagic posted:

No it isn't. You keep claiming anyone will do better, so clearly you don't think Clinton has any actual support beyond Generic Democrat.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cingulate posted:

Because this discussion has happened multiple times before and everyone is tired of telling mcmagic the same thing again. It's tiresome.

Ze Pollack posted:

Over half of Hillary's supporters say they're voting for her, rather than against Trump.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ze Pollack posted:

It's wrong to confuse it with unpopularity too, though - I think the election's proven that Jesus Christ Himself could run against Donald Trump (or some hypothetical worse candidate, if one can exist) and so long as they had a D and R next to their names the numbers were going to be pretty much the same.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hi Pablo, welcome to USPOL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It isn't a fact though. Stop acting like your opinions and misinterpretation of data qualify as fact.

So your argument is that Trump is a better general election candidate than John Kasich or Marco Rubio? I guess you could just be a moron.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Jesus Christ HuffPo :stare:

Link

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If Bernie running as a progressive's wet dream couldn't even win the primary of the progressive party he is not a strong candidate

As a supporter of the Bern, Hillary Clinton is the best person the democrats put forward this cycle. Bernie is great at pushing for progressive policies, and I'd really like to see that in the WH. But POTUS is more than guiding policy and Bernie is stubborn and has a hot head (much like his "bros").

The best place for Bernie in a democratic WH would be a cabinet position. But if the senate turns blue then the best place for him is to stay right where he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

greatn posted:

I like Gillibrand a lot. I hope she runs some time. She has been a lot more progressive as a senator than as a house member, presumably because of the district she represented.

I do too. She's easily the most responsive of my congresspeople. Schumer and Maloney don't even give me the time of day.

• Locked thread