Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mac keyboards are universally garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes even that old one where its almost a normal keyboard is poo poo because it has hosed up meta keys.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

To disable automatic boot-up on lid opening:

sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00

To reenable automatic boot-up:

sudo nvram AutoBoot=%03

To disable the startup chime:

sudo nvram BootAudio=%00

To enable the startup chime:

sudo nvram BootAudio=%0

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

drat you I wanted to post that

Praise Stebe, Apple is saved, the mac is still alive etc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*rolls eyes dramatically in the everlong struggle of janitoring a windows computer*

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Is the touch ID sensor a physical, clicky power button? It would be pretty cool if they forgot to add a button to turns it on after you disable the auto boot

Or maybe someone on the development team insisted that macs never crash so lets not have any way to force a shutdown either

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I'd love to know if there's a way to force shutdown in the event that the graphics driver crashes

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

r u ready to WALK posted:

Or maybe someone on the development team insisted that macs never crash

they don't though

or at least, mine doesn't

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Macys posted:

they don't though

or at least, mine doesn't

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

apple is srsly going to replace the keyboard with a touchscreen just so they don't have to admit that microsoft was right. i can't wait to depend on autocorrect whilst programming. *laughing my freaking rear end off*

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

mac keyboards are universally garbage

hmm... you're wrong about this. the laptop keyboards are good for laptop keyboards.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

the last one to enable the startup chime should be %01

and for the %03 command for boot on lid open, 3 is 2 bits, one of them is boot on lid open and one is boot when plugged in, not sure which is which

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 1, 2016

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Model F 122 best keyboard. Save F13-F24.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

update ur loving os

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

blugu64 posted:

Holy smokes!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

blugu64 posted:

I'm the ergonomics of that setup.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'll be windows n-95

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Phoenixan posted:

I'd love to know if there's a way to force shutdown in the event that the graphics driver crashes

let it run out of battery power.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

blugu64 posted:

EWW

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

blugu64 posted:

what does one do at a dutch keyboard meetup?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm still using an apple extended keyboard II

very needs suiting, especially since i nuked my das keyboard

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Rock My Socks! posted:

what does one do at a dutch keyboard meetup?

:huh: except with keyboards

ufarn
May 30, 2009
honestly pretty entertaining to listen to siracusa and marco trash apple something fierce in this podcast episode

it gets pretty heated around :45 or something

and holy poo poo is casey liss to defend everything apple and trivialize any criticism

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
marco really has his panties in a bunch about the new MacBook Pro for some reason and has been on a 5 day twitter hissy fit about it. even though he won't shut up about it I have no idea what his problem is, but I'm sure not willing to listen to him whine for three hours on a podcast to find out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
http://hypercritical.co/2013/03/08/the-case-for-a-true-mac-pro-successor

tl;dr: the lack of a mac pro means apple has given up on manufacturing computers

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Management posted:

marco really has his panties in a bunch about the new MacBook Pro for some reason and has been on a 5 day twitter hissy fit about it. even though he won't shut up about it I have no idea what his problem is, but I'm sure not willing to listen to him whine for three hours on a podcast to find out
it's mainly siracusa going off

marco has a reputation inside and outside his social circle of being weirdly obsessive over everything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

hmm... you're wrong about this. the laptop keyboards are good for laptop keyboards.

nope

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

blugu64 posted:

lol nice hp laptop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

Is the touch ID sensor a physical, clicky power button? It would be pretty cool if they forgot to add a button to turns it on after you disable the auto boot

Or maybe someone on the development team insisted that macs never crash so lets not have any way to force a shutdown either

my guess would be its not a real button and theres a new keyboard combo for force shutdown/reboot

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

cmd-option-F-U-T-I-M

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

ufarn posted:

honestly pretty entertaining to listen to siracusa and marco trash apple something fierce in this podcast episode
for a moment there I thought siracusa = john fireball and I was like holy poo poo when you've lost john fireball you've lost everyone

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
marco arment is an obsessive whiny baby about everything. that he is sometimes correct in his whining is beside the point.

edit: lemme guess, casey liss' argument is that he personally does not need more than a low-end GPU, mediocre CPU, or more than 16GB RAM, and since he's a "pro" iOS developer the new mackbook pro is still a computer for professionals.

because that's basically always his argument: he is OK with intel integrated GPUs, mediocre CPUs, and only 16GB RAM, so that should be OK for everyone and he just doesn't understand how anyone needs more than that except GAMERZ LOL

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 1, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doc Block posted:

marco arment is an obsessive whiny baby about everything. that he is sometimes correct in his whining is beside the point.

yes, he *is* a programmer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i saw a lady at the starbucks today using a 13 inch mbp with a cheap shiney plastic hp keyboard plugged in on top of a tiny table. :confused:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
stopped listening to ATP because i got tired of the Affluent Whiny 'Sperg Duo and their Guy Who's Main Computer Is A Laptop sidekick.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

edit: lemme guess, casey liss' argument is that he personally does not need more than a low-end GPU, mediocre CPU, or more than 16GB RAM, and since he's a "pro" iOS developer the new mackbook pro is still a computer for professionals.

because that's basically always his argument: he is OK with intel integrated GPUs, mediocre CPUs, and only 16GB RAM, so that should be OK for everyone and he just doesn't understand how anyone needs more than that except GAMERZ LOL

mac users don't understand why they might need more power cause they're used to doing nothing and doing it very slowly.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the pro in mac book pro is for prosumer, not professional

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Doc Block posted:

stopped listening to ATP because i got tired of the Affluent Whiny 'Sperg Duo and their Guy Who's Main Computer Is A Laptop sidekick.

casey's on an iMac now

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

http://hypercritical.co/2013/03/08/the-case-for-a-true-mac-pro-successor

tl;dr: the lack of a mac pro means apple has given up on manufacturing computers

that's a pretty bad argument, cars are like the opposite of computers

the macbook is way more of an engineering challenge then the macpro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

the pro in mac book pro is for prosumer, not professional

funny because I do all my professional poo poo with macs and personal poo poo with windows

• Locked thread