Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Protip: McMagic will never concede any point. It's like pulling teeth. He has his opinions, he treats them as fact, and nothing will change them.

I don't think hes as unreasonable as all that, I mean yeah he clearly wishes it was bernie, but he conceded at least a few pages back that Hillary is running a great campaign, and doing better than any of the other choices to run would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

And HRC has dealt with poo poo no other candidate would have had to, because she has done some pretty uniquely bad, corrupt, and incompetent things.

I'd like to know what she's done that is uniquely bad and corrupt. Like that can't even be the Iraq War vote or Emails so it has to be something else.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

computer parts posted:

Like be a female political figure before 2004.

If you want to defend her, try something better than "this multimillionaire has had it tough because she's a woman in politics"

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

ImpAtom posted:

Okay. So... Hillary Clinton wins the democratic primary and then proceeds to win the general. This means nobody wants her to be president because ????

Eh, the Democratic nomination process was basically a Soviet election. She was anointed years before it began. No other serious Democrats ran because all the $ backed her.

The Republicans nominated an historically unpopular candidate because they had too many people seeking the nod; the Democrats because they had too few.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

socialsecurity posted:

Nobody gets hurt from us posting about mcmagic posting stuff. Just ignore it if you don't like it. Can't become a derail if you don't reply.
Oh no, we have entered an infinite regress :(

Non Serviam posted:

Bernie would have been terrible.

And HRC has dealt with poo poo no other candidate would have had to, because she has done some pretty uniquely bad, corrupt, and incompetent things.
There seems to be basically zero correlation between how actually bad something she did is, and how much backlash she gets.

Benghazi has been this insanely huge issue for a whole presidential term, and she basically didn't do anything wrong. She's done bad things, and some are criticizing her for her actual faults, but the majority of the criticism she's getting is not reasonable. It's insane conspiracy theories and hatred of her as a person.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Instant Sunrise posted:

so i'm tired of having to act like straight white dude opinions are the only ones that matter

No one said anything like that but keep banging that strawman.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Non Serviam posted:

If you want to defend her, try something better than "this multimillionaire has had it tough because she's a woman in politics"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EGranwN_uk

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't think hes as unreasonable as all that, I mean yeah he clearly wishes it was bernie, but he conceded at least a few pages back that Hillary is running a great campaign, and doing better than any of the other choices to run would have.

I wish it was pretty much any other democrat with a national profile since they would probably be doing better and have more coattails down ballot.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

No one said anything like that but keep banging that strawman.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

No. No he hasn't said that.
He will continue to believe that she is the worst candidate imaginable, probably for the rest of time.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

A burning question that I've had for a long time: Something Awful poster mcmagic, did you name yourself after the cholo rapper and if so why?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I wish it was pretty much any other democrat with a national profile since they would probably be doing better and have more coattails down ballot.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mcmagic posted:

Well, the problem with any of the other democrats with a national profile is, they would all be doing worse than Hillary is, because shes running a great campaign.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'd like to know what she's done that is uniquely bad and corrupt. Like that can't even be the Iraq War vote or Emails so it has to be something else.

Glenn Greenwald, known misogynist, explained some of the issues here
https://theintercept.com/2016/08/25/why-did-the-saudi-regime-and-other-gulf-tyrannies-donate-millions-to-the-clinton-foundation/

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

K.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Well, the problem with any of the other democrats with a national profile is, they would all be doing worse than Hillary is, because shes running a great campaign.

Even if she was she still has 30 years of deserved and undeserved baggage weighing her down.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
After the election, can we make Pablo USPol's spirit poster?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The whole "baking cookies" thing is disgusting. This idiotic penance walk they made her do.

If the day she's elected, she just decides to push the button because gently caress y'all, I would kind of understand it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dolash posted:

It's wrong to confuse it with unpopularity too, though - I think the election's proven that Jesus Christ Himself could run against Donald Trump (or some hypothetical worse candidate, if one can exist) and so long as they had a D and R next to their names the numbers were going to be pretty much the same.

Disagreed. You're missing one very important variable.

Hillary Clinton has been the subject of twenty years' worth of concentrated propaganda designed to portray her as basically Hitler. And as this election has demonstrated, and the post-election gridlock will demonstrate, it has worked fantastically.

Hillary Clinton is phenomenally unpopular. She had the great fortune to be presumptively up against Jeb Bush, the only man with a name more politically radioactive than hers, and then the even greater fortune to be up against an utter shambles of a man who can't start and finish a sentence on the same topic.

And on the strength of that twenty years' worth of head start, she still can't convince 45% of america a glass of warm piss is better than chugging bleach.

Is it completely unfair that a competent politician's achievements can be effectively tarnished by a twenty-year smear campaign? Sure.

Doesn't make it stop being reality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"People donated money to Hillary Clinton's charity" being the uniquely corrupt thing in this case.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Non Serviam posted:

At some point they decided that they want to be as objective and accurate as Breitbart, but from the left.

I don't stand behind HuffPo as an outlet but tying Trump to Trump voters, especially those that feigned at taking "principled stands" in the past and came crawling back, needs to become a regular part of political discourse going forward. Because they're going to try to dump him like hot garbage.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

mcmagic posted:

That is completely irrelevant to any point I've actually been making but sure.

Then you're terrible at making points and should stop posting because that's what all of your posts have been implying

Your parents should have named 179° cause you're as loving obtuse as possible

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mcmagic posted:

Even if she was she still has 30 years of deserved and undeserved baggage weighing her down.

Right, but that just speaks to how good she is, that with all that baggage shes still doing better than any of the other available dems would have.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Non Serviam posted:

But that's entirely true compared to virtually any other person who could have won a major party presidential nomination this year :confused:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

"People donated money to Hillary Clinton's charity" being the uniquely corrupt thing in this case.

It's cool you didn't read it. Thx.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Instant Sunrise posted:

hint: if you're going to post about how unfavorable hillary is, post the crosstabs of her favorability showing how it breaks down across race and gender.

Instant Sunrise posted:

so i'm tired of having to act like straight white dude opinions are the only ones that matter

Sure and include age in that as well, Bernie actually won a majority of nonwhite millenials. Painting it as white vs nonwhite is way too simplistic, there's a big young vs old dynamic too. I don't think it's fair to call a candidate who won a majority of nonwhile millenials a white dude candidate.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cingulate posted:

The whole "baking cookies" thing is disgusting. This idiotic penance walk they made her do.

If the day she's elected, she just decides to push the button because gently caress y'all, I would kind of understand it.

If Hillary Clinton was the mafioso crime lord she's accused of a whole poo poo load more people would be dead. The New York Times alone would be a graveyard.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
did i miss any candidates in my "mcmagic through the years" posts?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ze Pollack posted:

And on the strength of that twenty years' worth of head start, she still can't convince 45% of america a glass of warm piss is better than chugging bleach.

Okay. You keep saying this. What presidential candidate succeeded at convincing that 45% of America to vote for them? Regan was basically the last one in any recent memory and Regan was pretty unique in that case.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

James Garfield posted:

Those people who favor Trump over Clinton are republicans. There is probably no democrat that they would prefer over Trump.

Also, "least unpalatable" is literally the same thing as popularity.

As I opened this by saying, given the choice between a glass of warm piss and a glass of bleach people overwhelmingly pick the warm piss.

This does not mean you are going to make money if you open a piss stand.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

Sure and include age in that as well, Bernie actually won a majority of nonwhite millenials. Painting it as white vs nonwhite is way too simplistic, there's a big young vs old dynamic too. I don't think it's fair to call a candidate who won a majority of nonwhile millenials a white dude candidate.

Sure, but the problem is that young people's turnout rate is the worst.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

axeil posted:

Thank you for the thread title we all deserve.

From more than 9 pages ago, just quoting because I love MM. *starts listening to a loop of Clock Town day 3*

Also I heard Clifton posted an update to something called the daisy ad(the old one being an anti-goldwater/ goldwater will use nukes ad)

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

It's cool you didn't read it. Thx.
I did read it, it's a bunch of garbage. Mudslinging, assertions, and a lot of tenuous links.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, if anyone was wondering how Comey would affect things:
https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/793065727397879809
Here you go.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

If Hillary Clinton was the mafioso crime lord she's accused of a whole poo poo load more people would be dead. The New York Times alone would be a graveyard.
She can't do that. She'd be leaving a faint smell of sulphur in her wake, and everyone would know what's up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

This does not mean you are going to make money if you open a piss stand.
Yes you are, you just have to know your audience and how to market it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Non Serviam posted:

At some point they decided that they want to be as objective and accurate as Breitbart, but from the left.

gently caress Hufpo for th obvious click baity reasons but, no.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Eh, the Democratic nomination process was basically a Soviet election. She was anointed years before it began. No other serious Democrats ran because all the $ backed her.

The Republicans nominated an historically unpopular candidate because they had too many people seeking the nod; the Democrats because they had too few.

This was linked in last month's thread which looks at Hillary's nomination from a different angle: http://www.vox.com/2016/6/7/11879728/hillary-clinton-wins-nomination

It's a pretty smart - but hard work intensive - play if you ask me. Do the homework and prepare like hell...which sounds like quintessential Clinton. This strategy plays to her strengths, rather than the typical campaign approach which plays to her weaknesses (even if she does have a superb campaign machine behind her and has done a stand out job as it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does anyone genuinely and wholeheartedly think that even if you nominated... hell, let's go with Barack Obama's clone. Barack Obama's clone who is legally allowed to run for President and is also 8 years younger. Do you really think the absolute best outcome for him wouldn't be 40% of the country voting for Trump still? Do you think he'd somehow be carving off lots more white men (who are the base Trump is running on) than Clinton?

The argument of "she can't beat 40%!!" ignores that the 'unfavorable' gap is that Clinton is unfavorable with white men and Trump is unfavorable with everyone but white men.

• Locked thread