Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Is Mansions of Madness 2E cool and good compared to the mess that the first edition was?

I'm kind of having Arkham-nostalgia as it dawns on me that its been about a decade since I first discovered Arkham Horror and tabletop gaming and went down a horrible, convoluted path that ended with a closet full of eurogames and (un)painted plastic.

Edit: I understand the Cthulhu fatigue and share it most of the time, but my mood is coming back around to liking it. 99% of it winds up being trash, but theres something about the FFG games I find that makes them charming trash.

2e is pretty good, but be warned a large part of the game is handled by the app, more so than D2e. Even attacking a monster is dealt with in the app by picking what type of weapon you're using, and the app will pull from a variety of different attacks that will vary in damage dealt by either being test result + weapon damage, set amount of damage by the test itself, etc. Theres a decent amount of variety, like an unarmed attack can vary from testing your influence to hit by you suckering them into getting close and just smacking them, to bodily picking them up and throwing them at another monster using your strength stat (in which case both will take the test result worth of damage). I enjoy it for what it is myself. There are no missions you can just outright fail by virtue of having been designed to be impossible like 1e. The setup is much, much faster as well. It can take just a few minutes to setup for it.

Gort posted:

In an addendum to this question, is there much point in owning it if you already have Descent 2e?

Their focus is different. MoM usually goes for some sort of thing you have to find and there is a lot less combat. For what its worth, the average mission length in MoM is longer than Descent. I do feel they both have a place and I do play both MoM and D2e

I would recommend trying it out prior to buying, because it isn't going to be everyone's bag, and the price tag is not something that really allows for blind buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Is Mansions of Madness 2E cool and good compared to the mess that the first edition was?

I'm kind of having Arkham-nostalgia as it dawns on me that its been about a decade since I first discovered Arkham Horror and tabletop gaming and went down a horrible, convoluted path that ended with a closet full of eurogames and (un)painted plastic.

Edit: I understand the Cthulhu fatigue and share it most of the time, but my mood is coming back around to liking it. 99% of it winds up being trash, but theres something about the FFG games I find that makes them charming trash.

I haven't played MoM, but my group does really enjoy Eldritch Horror. Charming trash is the perfect description; the game is way too long, way too random, oppressive, and massively unfair, but it always finds new and interesting ways to gently caress you. Enjoying it is about following along with each character's story, being able to laugh when the game kicks them while they're down, enjoying the absurdity when Scotland Yard asks an 8 year old to examine a murder victim or when a cigar-chewing American politician beseeches an ancient samurai order to kill some guy in Australia. About one character per game, give or take, will actually start accomplishing things, building up items and abilities, and with them gaining some sense of control over the course of the game. Almost every time this confidence will be ripped away from you by a random, unavoidable event, which is godawful game design, but also pretty thematically appropriate.

So, yeah, Eldritch Horror is a terrible game and I absolutely do not recommend it unless the above sounds like something you and your gaming group can wholeheartedly dive into.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Charlie Kane makes the game p. trivial. I think I've played Eldritch 3 times. We won the two games I played Charlie.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Since games seem to run a cycle of actively desired, early plays with positive results, followed by finding flaws, and eventually the worm turns and people get tired of or actively hate the game (with some games actually surviving that gauntlet and being adopted into the games worth playing pantheon) where does A Feast for Odin stand?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Since games seem to run a cycle of actively desired, early plays with positive results, followed by finding flaws, and eventually the worm turns and people get tired of or actively hate the game (with some games actually surviving that gauntlet and being adopted into the games worth playing pantheon) where does A Feast for Odin stand?

My only hesitation with A Feast For Odin is the wide variance of powers from occupations cards. There might be a way to "cull" less useful ones, but we will see how it plays over time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Since games seem to run a cycle of actively desired, early plays with positive results, followed by finding flaws, and eventually the worm turns and people get tired of or actively hate the game

This is not true of Uwe Rosenberg games. They don't have flaws to find.

ETB posted:

My only hesitation with A Feast For Odin is the wide variance of powers from occupations cards.

This is not a flaw, it is a feature :colbert:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 1, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

This is not true of Uwe Rosenberg games. They don't have flaws to find.

This is not a flaw, it is a feature :colbert:

I think you're confusing the word variance with the word variety.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Stop engaging the troll. Just put him on ignore.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

I think you're confusing the word variance with the word variety.

If Mr Rosenberg thinks a card was good enough to put in his game than who am I to judge? He likely knows the game better than I do, so if the card seems bad to me its likely because I'm a noob and don't understand why its good.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Shadow225 posted:

Charlie Kane makes the game p. trivial. I think I've played Eldritch 3 times. We won the two games I played Charlie.

Maybe he's powerful and maybe it was just luck, the game is way too random to know. I've played dozens of times and the character that I see most consistently Doing Stuff is Mark Fuckin' Harrigan; his abilities look pretty underwhelming but maybe they happen to work together in subtle ways, or maybe it's just because he earned his middle name from a few lucky games and confirmation bias has carried things from there. I don't know, and I don't really want to; like I said, it's a lovely game, but it can be a fun experience and I know that examining the strategy closely will only reveal more flaws in the mechanics without doing anything to improve the experience side of the equation. It's a big, dumb, unfair, "experience generator", with all the negative connotations that brings, and we make the most out of it by playing with random characters (well, draw 2 - keep 1), dramatically reading their backstories, and enjoying the slow downward slide to the end of the world.

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 1, 2016

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

If Mr Rosenberg thinks a card was good enough to put in his game than who am I to judge? He likely knows the game better than I do, so if the card seems bad to me its likely because I'm a noob and don't understand why its good.

I love Uwe, and especially love Agricola, but he obviously gets stuff wrong sometimes. Base Agricola occupations included bonkers stuff like Taster, and dreck like Fencer. I don't think this was intended as a skill test, or to enable some special gameplay situation or something. Rather, I think designers just aren't omniscient and don't have infinite time to play test - and sometimes they aren't particularly good at their own games. That often comes through in balance problems or mechanical issues.

Veto'ing some cards (especially as in Agricola when not only some cards would be used anyway) is about the least obnoxious house rule you could have - and lots of games play better with a few things like this taken out or some character banned or whatever (even if you perhaps put them back in later when you're better at the game or something). More generally, I disagree with the idea that designers necessarily have some special insight into their games overall. While I certainly would want to be experienced in a Uwe game before I wrote off some option, because I do respect him as a designer, there's lots of bad games out there that just aren't well put together and don't work. There's no exam you have to pass before you can release a game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

Stop engaging the troll. Just put him on ignore.

Never, refuting allows everyone else to know the correct answer.

Also it's hard to tell just what is trolling and what is 100% what he believes most of the time. Poe's law and all, you know.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

we make the most out of it by playing with random characters (well, draw 2 - keep 1), dramatically reading their backstories, and enjoying the slow downward slide to the end of the world.

reading election coverage is way cheaper than buying eldritch horror fyi

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

I finished my second play last weekend and I'm mildly obsessed with the game in a good way. From what I an see the decks introduce some variance, but you have the option of burning dwarves vikings to draw up to five cards, and get them whenever you take 3-piece actions. I was playing my cards more for points at the end than for their abilities just because my strategy involved a lot of 4-piece actions.

I thought that the dice were going to be a fly in teh ointment, but it turns out that they really are implemented well-enough that the variance they introduce doesn't affect you so much, provided you orient your strategy around the dice-actions. I haven't encountered an overwhelmingly imbalanced card, but some are definitely more situational than others. (The starting card that gives you a silver every time you get 2 wood, for example, is going to make your early game more efficient more reliably than the one that lets you use spears as swords. On the other hand, that spears to swords card made me a raiding machine by the midgame and accelerated my growth.)

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 1, 2016

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm going to a meetup in two weeks where a bunch of essen titles will be available to play. I'm specifically looking at Oracle of Delphi, Colonists, Great Western Trail, and Rhodes. Does anyone have any feedback on those games in particular? Any feedback is good, including "this game isn't worth your time." I know Lorini already commented on how good Colonists is, so I'm pretty pumped about that.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 1, 2016

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mister Sinewave posted:

Does anyone know if Riot is going to get a distributor in Canada? From the reviews I'd give it a shot but ouch like 120+ CAD in the end is rough.

Though I suspect the way they keep their US price nice and low for what you get is that they are skipping the middlemen.

Distributors don't carry the game, you can only get it directly from them. So you're right on the price thing.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Also if you factor in the exchange, it's the equivalent of like $108 CAD shipped here so it's not incredibly far off.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
When the fuuuuuck is Millenium Blades being restocked? I've been hearing a bunch about that game here and there and goddamnit I want to play my fuckin' anime card Yu-Gi-Oh simulator got my trap card bitch pow.

Also on a lark I picked up Guts of Glory. It's...weird. Weird as gently caress. But it never fails to make people smile when I describe it as a 'post-apocalyptic chewing simulator'.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Morpheus posted:

When the fuuuuuck is Millenium Blades being restocked? I've been hearing a bunch about that game here and there and goddamnit I want to play my fuckin' anime card Yu-Gi-Oh simulator got my trap card bitch pow.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/226257

It's a good game. Top 5 of the year IMO.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rutibex posted:

Uwe made a second edition of Agricola where he got rid of the bad cards so it seems even Uwe disagrees with your notion that uwe can do no wrong

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MikeCrotch posted:

Uwe made a second edition of Agricola where he got rid of the bad cards so it seems even Uwe disagrees with your notion that uwe can do no wrong

Uwe screwed up because I lose 9 of 10 Patchwork games vs. my wife.

Uwe Rosenbogus amirite?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MikeCrotch posted:

After many years of Agricola being out in the wild it is no surprise that a few cracks were found. But A Feast For Odin just came out. Right now everyone (except Uwe Rosenberg and his playtesters) is a noob at Feast. There has not been enough time for people to master the game, let alone judge which cards are sub-optimum.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Morpheus posted:

Also on a lark I picked up Guts of Glory. It's...weird. Weird as gently caress. But it never fails to make people smile when I describe it as a 'post-apocalyptic chewing simulator'.

I don't think the reprint from the KS has even gone out to backers yet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anyone have an opinion on Spiel des Jahres nominee Imhotep? My friend's wife likes Sushi Go and Egyptian themes and Friday is King Tut Day so they're doing an Egyptian themed game night. It's cheap enough I can buy it as a gift and maybe we'd get some enjoyment out of it?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/226257

It's a good game. Top 5 of the year IMO.

It's $50 to ship to Canada, gently caress. So close, yet so far.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

al-azad posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Spiel des Jahres nominee Imhotep? My friend's wife likes Sushi Go and Egyptian themes and Friday is King Tut Day so they're doing an Egyptian themed game night. It's cheap enough I can buy it as a gift and maybe we'd get some enjoyment out of it?

I just got it and it's a really good lightweight Euro as long as you're playing with four. I like it a lot less with less players. It's got a nice amount of player interaction, and is easy for new players to grasp.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well, poo poo:

I'm just dipping my toes guys. It's just this purchase. I can sell it on if I don't like it. Don't look at me like that!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

I'm going to a meetup in two weeks where a bunch of essen titles will be available to play. I'm specifically looking at Oracle of Delphi, Colonists, Great Western Trail, and Rhodes. Does anyone have any feedback on those games in particular? Any feedback is good, including "this game isn't worth your time." I know Lorini already commented on how good Colonists is, so I'm pretty pumped about that.

Great Western Trail takes four hours to play. This does not stop my friend who owns it wanting to play, even though he's usually a 90 minute man.

I suspect that Tutor in AFfO is broken. It removes the need to take actions to play professions at the cost of 1 VP per card, but that's hardly an issue.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You know you can't really experience the game unless you get the core set. And it only costs just a little bit more. Plus, you could just get that with the starter and be able to do some small deck-building. I'm just saying, it could get so much better...

Tekopo posted:

I'm just dipping my toes guys. It's just this purchase. I can sell it on if I don't like it. Don't look at me like that!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

I suspect that Tutor in AFfO is broken. It removes the need to take actions to play professions at the cost of 1 VP per card, but that's hardly an issue.

Thanks for this, we haven't interacted with Tutor yet, but I'll be sure to monitor how much that card gets used when it comes out.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

deadwing posted:

I just got it and it's a really good lightweight Euro as long as you're playing with four. I like it a lot less with less players. It's got a nice amount of player interaction, and is easy for new players to grasp.

I got it last week and played once with 2 and I can see a good game in there, but not with 2.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Impermanent posted:

I started watching Jon Gets Games' playthrough of Great Western Trail (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwMGtL4rKCs) since I was intrigued by the description of the game, but about 15 minutes in, my head was spinning from the many symbols on things. Maybe it was just me, but the symbols weren't intuitively obvious as far as what words they translate into. Also, an "a-ha!" moment didn't quite take on me. You know, the kind where you realize how the various moving parts of a game come together in a cool way. I'm still inclined to try the game out, but my interest has died down a bit.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Where did you find it? I love that it was a total fluke I backed it on KS and it turned out to be great. But I am reluctant to play it with strangers as they can compulsively shuffle/bend/drool on cards, and I didn't know if I could ever replace it.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 1, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Impermanent posted:

You know you can't really experience the game unless you get the core set. And it only costs just a little bit more. Plus, you could just get that with the starter and be able to do some small deck-building. I'm just saying, it could get so much better...

Harsh, but fair.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Where did you find it? I love that it was a total fluke I backed it on KS and it turned out to be great. But I am reluctant to play it with strangers as they can compulsively shuffle/bend/drool on cards, and I didn't know if I could ever replace it.

Literally the only place I've ever seen it sold was the game's site, http://www.gutsofglorygame.com/

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Where do people stay on top of kickstarter things? I feel bad about missing one or two of them but I have no clue where to look

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Literally the only place I've ever seen it sold was the game's site, http://www.gutsofglorygame.com/

Well that just makes sense.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

FulsomFrank posted:

Where do people stay on top of kickstarter things? I feel bad about missing one or two of them but I have no clue where to look

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games/tabletop%20games?ref=discovery_overlay

This looks like a site to bookmark.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

BGG does a weekly roundup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

If you want to see everything, including all the ridiculous Chikken Champz garbage (currently most of the garbage is Trump themed), I like the view you get on Kicktraq (http://www.kicktraq.com/categories/games/tabletop%20games/?sort=new)