Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I don't think he'd walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Magnus Praeda posted:

Yeah, the prison being there jacks up motel prices.

My cousin lived in Deer Lodge when she worked for NPS and that place sounds weird as hell anyhow.
On the other hand if the Jeep breaks down there, she might know someone in a pinch.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Sent what few sheckles I can, for those of you in contact with Dave please urge him not to die. I don't want to encourage him into hazard, but I do hope a few bucks will keep him rolling rather than broke down in bumfuck

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
He'll be fine.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

nm posted:

My cousin lived in Deer Lodge when she worked for NPS and that place sounds weird as hell anyhow.
On the other hand if the Jeep breaks down there, she might know someone in a pinch.

Going through the auto museum in the old prison is pretty awesome (as is touring the old prison itself) and I try to stop whenever I go through, but I wouldn't ever want to stay there longer than a day trip.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CharlesM posted:

He'll be fine.

This. He's a resilient dude and this trip is the best thing for him at the moment. Once he figures out the Jeep quirks (he may already have from the sounds of it) he'll be golden.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

angryrobots posted:

Dave is currently in Missoula, Montana. The jeep is still running well; gas mileage much improved.

Maybe all the other wrecks in Dave's life have nominated this jeep to be Dave's Christine, slowly healing with every painful mile as the pair of them suck at each other's life force to sustain themselves, a symbiosis of parasites if you will.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

AT 3:11 est

14 INCH posted:

15mpg butte achieved gas expected to last until mid wyoming pressing on

He then repeated the request for a thread title change, to the above "Requiem for a Jeep".

Edit, received just now 6:25 est

14 INCH posted:

stopped to pee in big timber just outside the Crazy Mountains

i am officially in the mountains of madness

Edit 2

14 INCH posted:

also let thread know mileage back down blowby increasing have oil on hand but previous estimate of mid wyoming may be closer to wyoming border if decrease continues and would like to pre plan before stranding. no other drivability issues at this time just a thirsty, thirsty whore

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 1, 2016

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Does he need help with routing etc? I seem to recall he has no map and is kinda flying blind.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

PopeCrunch posted:

I've known several people in the headspace I think our favorite madman is in, and hell I've been there a few times myself.

This trip has precisely dick to do with the truck.

It has everything to do with the pathological urge to persist when every force, known and unknown, that man beast or god can bring to bear against you is telling you to stop. Whether it's correct or not, whether it makes sense or not, Dave has his identity tied up in the idea of Making This Voyage. It's not about stubbornness, it's not about running away from his problems, it's about deciding that this time, the bastards aren't going to stop him. If the vehicle breaks down, he'll walk. If his feet fall off, he'll crawl. If he turns back, then even though you, me, and everyone he knows will tell him it was the right decision, and he will probably agree with us, he will see himself as a failure and it'll be a long time before he puts much effort into bettering his life.

This has never been a trip about fixing a truck. It's always been a trip about fixing his life, and if he's got the will to do it. The fact that that will is enabled by outside sources really isn't relevant, since ultimately it's not us staring at a thousand miles of bad road and strapping in.

And no it doesn't make any loving sense and it's dumb as hell by any rational definition. But long dark nights of the soul don't tend toward reason.

roll on, roll on you wonderful bastard

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Because I'm not available until much later today and could drop by Wal-Mart before work, I went ahead and sent another $250 which he can pick up at any Wal-Mart in Montana.

So currently we have sent $450 (plus the two $9.50 fees), and I have received further donations from Matthew and John, all told up to $285. So I'm currently in the red $184.

slothrop posted:

Does he need help with routing etc? I seem to recall he has no map and is kinda flying blind.

He is asking about which is the best of the two routes he could take after passing billings - the southern route on 90, or eastern route through Wyoming.

You can Google map Billings MT to Valentine NE, and see the two suggested routes.

14 INCH posted:

look up speed limits along the east east route as while i cant go fast anyways the map book shows it as a much smaller line and the 60 miles less may gently caress it all up if its like a 40 zone the whole way instead of south to wyoming

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 1, 2016

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I have no local knowledge at all so hopefully someone else can chime in. It seems like following the 90 as far as Kadoka has him going through more towns in case of breakdown and avoids the worst of the mountains(? going off Google maps here, don't have topo). Google is saying ~ 15 minute difference in eta between that and the more northern/sparsely populated route.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

"Lawl"

14 INCH posted:

made 230 miles from full to start of red on fuel gauge

jeep things i do not understand: dude excitedly askingif this was an 89 pioneer. yes. specifically that, loving freak

had 3 people whistle and cheer seeing me re aiming my headlamps

also yesterday in spokane took a poo poo so hard solid shrapnel hit me on both cheeks due to sheer force of impact with the back of the bowl. day before that i made truckers at a truck stop screech to a halt and prop the door open with a trash canand wait in a line outside for a full cigarette before resuming its service

please inform thread i legit think my rear end is broken

just not as broken as this loving jeep lol. heading to exit before billings in columbus now

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Apparently Dave has been spotted by the locals:

https://twitter.com/StevenA1030/status/793187764359405568

:v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

He has picked up the latest cash flow in billings, just received the following:

14 INCH posted:

about to hit walmart. haaaaard start rough idle asking if i was on course

at walmart center claims opens at 7am so good timing and i pray to god these stops arent solely on your shoulders

I replied that there were quite a few donations from people who wanted to see him safely through.

14 INCH posted:

recieved and giive my supreme thanks to all involved

there must be a cheaper way to return home. im thinking perhaps a personal pleasure yacht while borne aloft upon a howdah carried by well oiled exotic and androgynous eunuch-servants

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

angryrobots posted:

He has picked up the latest cash flow in billings, just received the following:

I replied that there were quite a few donations from people who wanted to see him safely through.
I just checked and the nearest Greyhound station to Valentine NE is 186 miles away.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

14 INCH posted:

there must be a cheaper way to return home.

ACVW, duh.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Dagen H posted:

ACVW, duh.

Like there was ever another option.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Me: "Did you decide on a route and need any further directions?

It appears the southern route following i90 passes more towns, the east route is pretty sparse"

14 INCH posted:

itll handle sparse as long as the beast stays fed. map distances per markers are well within max range and ive been told its flat and straight. strrongly considering 212

leaving walmart had to walk around to de cramp legs

14 INCH posted:

walmarts greatest hits north american super tour 2016 stops in spokane billings further tour dates tba

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Approaching Godspeed!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This. He's a resilient dude and this trip is the best thing for him at the moment. Once he figures out the Jeep quirks (he may already have from the sounds of it) he'll be golden.

Better than him going to his meetings about his addictions? Which might be required by the state?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH JEEP posted:

lost the fuel gauge lol my tank is definitely not well past full thank you

staying on 90 for city stops

14 INCH JEEP posted:

um that aint right

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

:ohno:

angryrobots, what's your preferred method to receive funds? I can throw you some cash, thanks for supporting our length/measurement/noun habit.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dagen H posted:

ACVW, duh.

This is the destiny of this trip, 14" May not know it yet, but the ACVW will be brought to life and deliver him home after being hilariously placed in the back of the Exploding Sims truck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sent you a Grant, angryrobots.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

He should buy a five gallon gas Jerry can for reserve range.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

SuperDucky posted:

:ohno:

angryrobots, what's your preferred method to receive funds? I can throw you some cash, thanks for supporting our length/measurement/noun habit.

Send him paypal (info earlier in thread) he is hooking 14 up through WalMart money transfer

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Donations received from Matthew, John, Blake, Jason, and another pending from Arthur on behalf of slung blade. I'll have to detail it out later when I can sit and do some math but it looks like I'm pretty caught up on the funds I fronted.

Edit, also:

14 INCH posted:

alive again issue in harness yanked and gauges back ammeter works

Could someone contact IOC and see if the thread title could be changed per 14"?

"REQUIEM FOR A JEEP"

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 1, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fitting current quote from reddit:

quote:

I think this is why I like my Cherokee so much. It was made using off-the-shelf parts by a company circling the drain, then produced in factories run by a group of literal potatoes, yet somewhere im the design process they must have tossed it off their roof, then repaired it using only a socket set and a rock, drunk as gently caress, to make sure it was reliable and easy to work on. Sure, the vacuum system, lights, weatherstripping, wipers, power seats, radio, and every feature apart from the drivetrain is useless garbage, but I'll be damned if they didn't create an automotive cockroach.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Seminal Flu posted:

Fitting current quote from reddit:

True excepting the ultimate kiss of death -- rust

But then the drive train lives on to power the supply of non-rustbelt ones imported to the north by fanatics.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Was just through a lot of the WY MT parts of his trip 2 years ago.
Is he headed to Valentine? Wouldn't 90 to Murdo SD be "better"?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

extreme_accordion posted:

Was just through a lot of the WY MT parts of his trip 2 years ago.
Is he headed to Valentine? Wouldn't 90 to Murdo SD be "better"?

Yeah he decided to stick to 90.

Just received:

14 INCH posted:

emergency truck stop nap just outside billings to ensure proper calibration of roadside/roofside check valve and isolator bridge complete safety checks passed all green resuming wigndaws 9&5 ngrmadly now

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'm a chronic lurker but even I've got to chime in after reading this entire thread in one sitting to say no matter how this ends, it's been one hell of a ride. Shine on.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

PayPal's Never Closing Whore Of A Mouth posted:

You've sent $20.00 to angryrobots

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

willroc7 posted:

I'm a chronic lurker but even I've got to chime in after reading this entire thread in one sitting to say no matter how this ends, it's been one hell of a ride. Shine on.

It's the first thing I check after waking up - and a good example of why AI is my favourite subforum despite me being a tram-riding city guy.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

montana state patrol moved over to let me pass without lighting me up

Rec'd. Although if y'all would, just hold up on the funds for now, that pretty much catches me up.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 1, 2016

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

This entire thread will one day be printed on a series of gold plates and sent back in time to be buried under a tree in the primitive new world so that it might one day be discovered and spark the creation of the one, true religion.

The flight of NUMBER-UNIT-NOUN from the planet of God to the promised land and then on to a new promised land will inspire millions of followers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Better than him going to his meetings about his addictions? Which might be required by the state?

He's not in that state anymore :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the limits on montana interstates are as high as 85mph and if you're driving safely, the culture in that state is "go as fast as you want." I blew through this summer comfortably doing 85 to 90 with CA plates, no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dat oil pressure at 90.

• Locked thread