Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

red19fire posted:

By "just recently due to politics' what you mean is that Cliven Bundy refused to pay his grazing fees to the government, which are way below commercial feed rates, for 20+ years. After decades of nonpayment and numerous warnings, the government banned him from grazing public land and held some of his cattle in lien until the million dollars or more of back fees are paid in full.

This is what precipitated Cliven whining to the moron hick militia about government overreach, decades of refusing to pay his fair share.

this isn't all of it. to quote myself from earlier in the thread:

No, his belief that he didn't need to pay money to graze his cattle came later. What came first is the BLM restricted grazing in order to protect the endangered desert tortoise. Among other things, they simply cut the amount of cattle you were allowed to graze below the point that cattle ranching in the area was viable. There were about 50 cattle ranchers in the area in 1993 but by 2014 Bundy was the only one left. Bundy was facing an existential threat to his way of life and came upon the idea that the federal government wasn't allowed to own land at all and thus he could graze as many cattle as he wanted AND he didn't have to pay to graze them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gobbeldygook posted:

No, his belief that he didn't need to pay money to graze his cattle came later. What came first is the BLM restricted grazing in order to protect the endangered desert tortoise. Among other things, they simply cut the amount of cattle you were allowed to graze below the point that cattle ranching in the area was viable. There were about 50 cattle ranchers in the area in 1993 but by 2014 Bundy was the only one left. Bundy was facing an existential threat to his way of life and came upon the idea that the federal government wasn't allowed to own land at all and thus he could graze as many cattle as he wanted AND he didn't have to pay to graze them either.

Well gosh, if 50 of his neighbours have stopped ranching, why doesn't he just buy up their land? You can run as many cattle as you want on your own privately held land.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well gosh, if 50 of his neighbours have stopped ranching, why doesn't he just buy up their land? You can run as many cattle as you want on your own privately held land.
assuming you're not being sarcastic, they were all grazing their cattle on federal land and either had their grazing rights bought out by the government or gave up because the government cut the amount of cattle they were allowed to raise below economical viability. there was no land for him to buy. the federal government owns about 85% of the land in nevada and will not sell it.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
hm i wonder if family-run cattle ranches have been affected by commodity prices or industry consolidation over that timescale:

http://billingsgazette.com/business/cattlemen-cite-reasons-for-family-ranch-decline/article_40a57cbf-3948-5cd1-92ed-07a8d63607bd.html

http://santamariatimes.com/news/loc...8edba94739.html

https://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2013/06/06/why-texas-cattle-ranching-continues-to-decline/

http://nation.time.com/2013/01/28/last-round-ups-the-decline-and-fall-of-the-texas-family-rancher/

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-03-19/local/me-397_1_cattle-industry/2

http://scholarship.law.umt.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1217&context=plrlr

http://www.denverpost.com/2012/03/15/saying-goodbye-to-the-ranch/#ixzz1pa4TGI00

It's not about the mean old government and a tortoise. That may well have been a final stressor that pushed people past the point of viability, but family ranches have been declining for quite a while. That's true for the entire agricultural sector. The place I grew up looks different these days, and sometimes I get all sad and nostalgic when I go back. But that's life.

Nevada has never been and never will be rich agricultural land. It is no great shock small ranches there are dying out in the face of more efficient competitors. Nor is it a great shock some number of people there seek to invent a bad guy to blame it on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gobbeldygook posted:

assuming you're not being sarcastic, they were all grazing their cattle on federal land and either had their grazing rights bought out by the government or gave up because the government cut the amount of cattle they were allowed to raise below economical viability. there was no land for him to buy. the federal government owns about 85% of the land in nevada and will not sell it.

Yeah, but he outright owns 150 acres. Presumably they owned some of their own land too.

The BLM claims they monitor the situation and set the limits based on what the land can support. It's entirely possible that the level of grazing that land could support 100 years ago was much higher than what the land can support now. Overgrazing leads to the land being depleted. Desertification can set in, and then the land is hosed for everyone.

Lots of things aren't economically viable.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

John Brown was once portrayed by Johnny Cash in a brief cameo on a made for tv movie. He gets a good line, imho

https://youtu.be/T1Vwqyr4stM

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The long title of the 1934 Taylor Grazing Act that gave rise to grazing allotments and fees on federal land in the west definitely wasn't

quote:

An Act to stop injury to the public grazing lands by preventing overgrazing and soil deterioration, to provide for their orderly use, improvement, and development, to stabilize the livestock industry dependent upon the public range, and for other purposes.

Nope. 1993 was the very first time anyone looked at rangeland in the west and asked about the sustainability of grazing.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, but he outright owns 150 acres. Presumably they owned some of their own land too.

The BLM claims they monitor the situation and set the limits based on what the land can support. It's entirely possible that the level of grazing that land could support 100 years ago was much higher than what the land can support now. Overgrazing leads to the land being depleted. Desertification can set in, and then the land is hosed for everyone.

Lots of things aren't economically viable.
For land like Nevada, 150 acres is enough to graze maybe a half-dozen cattle and lol if you think buying up a bunch of tiny disconnected ranches and grazing bullshit amounts of cattle is feasible. The BLM cut grazing allotments to protect the endangered desert tortoise (which Bundy et al maintain they weren't actually harming). That is why Bundy has support from other ranchers despite his cattle herd being a feral disease-ridden public nuisance: other ranchers see no reason why the government couldn't put them out of business by fiat.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gobbeldygook posted:

For land like Nevada, 150 acres is enough to graze maybe a half-dozen cattle and lol if you think buying up a bunch of tiny disconnected ranches and grazing bullshit amounts of cattle is feasible. The BLM cut grazing allotments to protect the endangered desert tortoise (which Bundy et al maintain they weren't actually harming). That is why Bundy has support from other ranchers despite his cattle herd being a feral disease-ridden public nuisance: other ranchers see no reason why the government couldn't put them out of business by fiat.

"other ranchers"

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Semisponge posted:

sorry for my ignorance but who the goldang gently caress is joh n brown

-religious fundamentalist / slavery abolitionist
-led a band of family and supporters into Kansas when it was a territory considering slavery
-killed pro-slavery supporters in their sleep, with swords
-traveled to Harper's Ferry, Virginia with a band of men, armed with loving pikes of all things
-took over a Federal armory in the hopes of arming a slave rebellion
-fought the US Marines
-was captured by Robert E. Lee
-hung for treason
-became the subject of one of the more popular Union battle songs

he was basically the yin to ISIS's yang

Seizure Meat has issued a correction as of 10:43 on Nov 1, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I have, may it please the Court, a few words to say.
In the first place, I deny everything but what I have all along admitted, the design on my part to free the slaves. I intended certainly to have made a clean thing of that matter, as I did last winter, when I went into Missouri and there took slaves without the snapping of a gun on either side, moved them through the country, and finally left them in Canada. I designed to have done the same thing again, on a larger scale. That was all I intended. I never did intend murder, or treason, or the destruction of property, or to excite or incite slaves to rebellion, or to make insurrection.
I have another objection; and that is, it is unjust that I should suffer such a penalty. Had I interfered in the manner which I admit, and which I admit has been fairly proved (for I admire the truthfulness and candor of the greater portion of the witnesses who have testified in this case), had I so interfered in behalf of the rich, the powerful, the intelligent, the so-called great, or in behalf of any of their friends, either father, mother, brother, sister, wife, or children, or any of that class, and suffered and sacrificed what I have in this interference, it would have been all right; and every man in this court would have deemed it an act worthy of reward rather than punishment.
This court acknowledges, as I suppose, the validity of the law of God. I see a book kissed here which I suppose to be the Bible, or at least the New Testament. That teaches me that all things whatsoever I would that men should do to me, I should do even so to them. It teaches me, further, to "remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them." I endeavored to act up to that instruction. I say, I am yet too young to understand that God is any respecter of persons. I believe that to have interfered as I have done as I have always freely admitted I have done in behalf of His despised poor, was not wrong, but right. Now, if it is deemed necessary that I should forfeit my life for the furtherance of the ends of justice, and mingle my blood further with the blood of my children and with the blood of millions in this slave country whose rights are disregarded by wicked, cruel, and unjust enactments, I submit; so let it be done!
Let me say one word further.
I feel entirely satisfied with the treatment I have received on my trial. Considering all the circumstances. it has been more generous than I expected. But I feel no consciousness of guilt. I have stated from the first what was my intention and what was not. I never had any design against the life of any person, nor any disposition to commit treason, or excite slaves to rebel, or make any general insurrection. I never encouraged any man to do so, but always discouraged any idea of that kind.
Let me say, also, a word in regard to the statements made by some of those connected with me. I hear it has been stated by some of them that I have induced them to join me. But the contrary is true. I do not say this to injure them, but as regretting their weakness. There is not one of them but joined me of his own accord, and the greater part of them at their own expense. A number of them I never saw, and never had a word of conversation with, till the day they came to me; and that was for the purpose I have stated.
Now I have done.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://i.imgur.com/uNZsbgg.gifv

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

On the bright side that one guy's face still looks hilariously retarded.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Feminasty Slut posted:

On the bright side that one guy's face still looks hilariously retarded.

uh, one?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

All this talk about John Brown and no one posted John Steuart Curry’s Tragic Prelude. :colbert:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Platystemon posted:

All this talk about John Brown and no one posted John Steuart Curry’s Tragic Prelude. :colbert:

That loving beard. Gets me every time.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Which one?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ate the Bundy brothers still in custody? Things got confusing after the lawyer got zapped.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I would totally grow a beard if the hairs stood up on end like a cat's every time I shouted or got pissed off.

Grem posted:

Ate the Bundy brothers still in custody? Things got confusing after the lawyer got zapped.

Yes, they still have pending charges in Nevada.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Gobbeldygook posted:

Did you even read that whole article? The reason his neighbors sold was because the city of Las Vegas, through the Clark County Government (which, if you remember, is the highest law in the land according to the Bundys), got the ranchers to sell their land in order for it to be set aside for tortoise conservation. Yes, the tortoise was a factor, but unless you're interested in making the argument that the endangered species act is some trifling irrelevance, that doesn't really matter. There was a land shortage caused by urban expansion. That resulted in agricultural land (the family ranches) being less valuable as agland than as developed land (or in this case, as setoffs that made development possible). This is a story that has played out thousands and thousands of times across the country because, get this, the United States is no longer an early nineteenth century agrarian society defined by a patchwork of small family estates.

Yes, land policy is complicated and there are often winners and losers. That does not somehow mean this was automatically a case of "government overreach." There was a higher and better use of that land, and it was achieved through the sale of grazing rights on public land in order to set off habitat destruction associated with urban expansion. This is a good thing. The alternatives are either the city of Las Vegas has a hard boundary past which is cannot expand, or expansion comes without any consideration for environmental degradation.

Nevada is poo poo agricultural land. It always has been, and it always will be. The rest of the world does not have to freeze itself in time because Cliven Bundy likes being a hobby farmer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kelvron posted:

That loving beard. Gets me every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2klX-puUU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

that's me grandad :3:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
So Apparently they are already threatening another standoff??

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Pisskey Rebellion

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dig up LaVoy's corpse, time to shoot him again

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

So Apparently they are already threatening another standoff??

Do it bitches. You shirked martyrdom duties once inshallah

:getin:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Do it bitches. You shirked martyrdom duties once inshallah

:getin:

I heard an interview with a guy who escaped from Al Qaeda or something like that and at one point he had signed up for "drive the suicide bomb van" duty and it was actually really well managed. Apparently they vet you to make sure you're not depressed and just doing this for, well, suicide reasons. You have to have come to your own conclusion that this is what must be done, what you want to do, how you want to serve the cause. And you can back out at any time, right up to the point where you're getting in the van - they always have a backup ready in case you don't feel ready and don't think less of you if it's "just not your time" yet.

Basically what I'm saying is that Al Qaeda treats its martyrs better than the Bundy clan does, especially those idiots trying to goad David Fry into killing himself near the end.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ate all the Oreos posted:

I heard an interview with a guy who escaped from Al Qaeda or something like that and at one point he had signed up for "drive the suicide bomb van" duty and it was actually really well managed. Apparently they vet you to make sure you're not depressed and just doing this for, well, suicide reasons. You have to have come to your own conclusion that this is what must be done, what you want to do, how you want to serve the cause. And you can back out at any time, right up to the point where you're getting in the van - they always have a backup ready in case you don't feel ready and don't think less of you if it's "just not your time" yet.

Basically what I'm saying is that Al Qaeda treats its martyrs better than the Bundy clan does, especially those idiots trying to goad David Fry into killing himself near the end.

They do that because otherwise the person is likely to back out or blow themselves up early.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

They do that because otherwise the person is likely to back out or blow themselves up early.

Yeah I realize it's that, plus I'm sure you probably wouldn't get into heaven unless your martyrdom was done right because otherwise it's just a suicide.

I wonder if hell has an appeals court for this sort of thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

They still blow themselves up early surprisingly often when everyone gathers in for a final group hug.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I wonder if hell has an appeals court for this sort of thing.

The three judges are Hitler, Stalin and (just to be fair and balanced) Nixon. The jury pool consists entirely of your ex girlfriends/boyfriends. The prosecutor is a morphing, deformed conglomeration of the faces of everyone you've wronged in your life, and the defense attorney is Woody Allen.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The three judges are Hitler, Stalin and (just to be fair and balanced) Nixon. The jury pool consists entirely of your ex girlfriends/boyfriends. The prosecutor is a morphing, deformed conglomeration of the faces of everyone you've wronged in your life, and the defense attorney is Woody Allen.

At first that sounds kinda fun and then you suddenly realize you're thinking of Woody Harrelson, not Woody Allen.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Thanks, I knew i was forgetting some part of it.

VikingSkull posted:

-religious fundamentalist / slavery abolitionist
-led a band of family and supporters into Kansas when it was a territory considering slavery
-killed pro-slavery supporters in their sleep, with swords
-traveled to Harper's Ferry, Virginia with a band of men, armed with loving pikes of all things
-took over a Federal armory in the hopes of arming a slave rebellion
-fought the US Marines
-was captured by Robert E. Lee
-hung for treason
-became the subject of one of the more popular Union battle songs

he was basically the yin to ISIS's yang

Second only to Sherman in service to the North, praise be upon him.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Nevada is poo poo agricultural land. It always has been, and it always will be. The rest of the world does not have to freeze itself in time because Cliven Bundy likes being a hobby farmer.

This reminds me of the conservative meme of Yellowstone having Don't Feed The Bears sign because the animals will become dependent on handouts as an allegory for welfare. The Bundy's actually have to get off the government teat, and rather than get 'real' jobs they grabbed guns in order to halt the gears of progress.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Another reason to avoid feeding the animals is because animals are irrational shits who have no problem biting the hand that feeds, much like the bundies.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

red19fire posted:

Second only to Sherman in service to the North, praise be upon him.

What about U.S. Grant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The real reason to not feed bears in national parks is because when they get food conditioned I have to go shoot them and I really don't like shooting bears.