Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Junkfist posted:

I predict the season will end with a giant robot rebellion and Ford will shut it down with his finger and then look sad and contemplative and then maybe take a nap.

Maybe the center of the maze isn't just self-discovery and wakefulness, but also a way to terminate the override commands the park employees have? What's the point of becoming self-conscious if you're still beholden to your masters? I bet Arnold programmed in some form of kill switch for remote control of his AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bubblegum Cop posted:

I used to think the two timeliners were dumb as poo poo but now it is blatantly obvious they are doing some sort of fuckery there. I don't think that is the same as concluding William is the MIB however. How much time, exactly, has gone on during the MIBS quest vs will and logans excellent adventure? How does Maeves poo poo all figure into that chronologically?

Holy poo poo

Bill is short for William

Theodore Logan was Teds full name

This is literally bill and ted when they go to get billy the kid

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
WRT Logan puzzlingly getting the poo poo beat out of him now, there's stuff about "further in the park = more danger", but he also just might not be getting hit all that hard. The hosts are precisely-tuned actors, remember, so they would know how to throw a hit which may sting a little but look devastating. Logan reacts the way he does because the human fight-or-flight instinct is still a thing, but he doesn't actually look bruised or bloody, if I recall correctly. After being strangled by the union soldier, I'm pretty sure he doesn't even so much as gasp for breath, but he's still rattled because a pair of hands were wrapped around his throat. I think Pariah-level hosts will still hit you, but not to the point that you ever have to worry about critical injuries or internal hemorrhages. Makes one think what the injury level is like at the War level, though. If you get hit by a cannonball, do you just fly back like a goon getting punched by the hulk?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bubblegum Cop posted:

will and logans excellent adventure

New thread title please

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

1. Several goons are convinced that the parts showing the man in black occur in the present while the parts showing Logan\William occured 34 years ago and are what led up to the death of Arnold and the incident. It's recommended to just kinda shrug and ignore this because they're very prickly about the whole thing.

Not trying to get prickly, and I can go either way on the theory, but this past episode had Logan specifically mention (without giving a name, because he couldn't think of it) that one of the creators allegedly died in the park. Maybe they're STILL loving with us, or maybe that was actually a legit reference to Arnold.

EDIT: Also, :golfclap: on the Bill and Ted thing. Nice.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 1, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tin can made man posted:

WRT Logan puzzlingly getting the poo poo beat out of him now, there's stuff about "further in the park = more danger", but he also just might not be getting hit all that hard. The hosts are precisely-tuned actors, remember, so they would know how to throw a hit which may sting a little but look devastating. Logan reacts the way he does because the human fight-or-flight instinct is still a thing, but he doesn't actually look bruised or bloody, if I recall correctly. After being strangled by the union soldier, I'm pretty sure he doesn't even so much as gasp for breath, but he's still rattled because a pair of hands were wrapped around his throat. I think Pariah-level hosts will still hit you, but not to the point that you ever have to worry about critical injuries or internal hemorrhages. Makes one think what the injury level is like at the War level, though. If you get hit by a cannonball, do you just fly back like a goon getting punched by the hulk?

They may avoid having canons at all, or have the canons detect if there's any guests near where they're aimed and "misfire" if they are.

On the case where they fire a canonball towards a hill and you happen to ride a horse into the line of fire, they probably chalk that up as an "accident" in the park. And you signed a waiver.

Course the horse being also a robot could know the canonball is coming and turn away or refuse to move or something.

They're willing to brusie you but I don't think they'd want to go much past that. Teddy could shoot MiB in the shoulder and William got tagged in the chest at range, but when MiB put the gun right up to his forehead, Teddy couldn't even shoot. Likely because his programming "knew" that the non-lethal round firing could still cause serious eye injury at that range. So the guests probably do err on the side of caution; grabbing your neck but not really choking you, smacking you in the face but not really beating you bloody.

I love how much we have to put together the rules for the park as we watch the show. Lots of other shows/movies would have William go through orientation and have them explain all the rules to him, and he would ask really obvious questions as a surrogate for the audience in case people weren't figuring it out. But not this show.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ozmunkeh posted:

Because the ship's AI accidentally mixed up the signals going to their cryosleep pods, duh. They're still a couple thousand years from Alpha Centauri so nothing to worry about.

:golfclap:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Arnold died before the park opened.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Some of us believe in multiple timelines without believing that William is the MiB. I personally think that MiB's last ride occurs before William enters the park.

Side note: I think the bulletproof cannibals that we saw take down Teddy in Episode 3 are the end result of Maeve's forthcoming upgrades.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Not trying to get prickly, and I can go either way on the theory, but this past episode had Logan specifically mention (without giving a name, because he couldn't think of it) that one of the creators allegedly died in the park. Maybe they're STILL loving with us, or maybe that was actually a legit reference to Arnold.

Yeah, I think that most people who are exploring the possibility that there are two timelines think that the park opened 34 years ago and Bill/Ted were there 30 years ago (four years after it opened, Arnold died, and it began hemorrhaging cash).

For the non-multiple timeline thoughts, how do people think that the MiB helped save the park? He provided a villain but what was his role?

I just rewatched the first episode. So many questions. What are the livestock people doing if not fixing the cold storage? What does the lobotomy procedure do? Obviously they can still follow commands and walk, etc. What powers them that they can just stand forever? What does Bernard whisper to Abernathy before he moves? Does the fly somehow trigger the sheriff's breakdown? Did the butchers remove his scalp/skull to get at something inside? Where do people rotate to?

I also notice that MiB calls Dolores sweet when he picks up the can. I initially got the creeps during that part when he said he couldn't visit that night but now I'm not sure it is sinister. He seemed mad when he killed Teddy that Dolores still doesn't remember him.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah VendaGoat I liked your posting at first because you were clearly really into the show, but you kinda need to dial it back a notch dude.

You said before you were drinking so maybe its all just crazy drunk posting but either way; chill a bit.

Yup, I'm bonkers.

Delos Incorporated posted:

Digital Security Breach

SUBJECT: A Message from Westworld IT Security To: Westworld Guests From: Delos Destinations

Team: You may have heard media reports about recent attempts to breach IT security around Westworld’s digital properties and servers. As employees, we would like to make sure you have the facts about what happened and the steps we all need to take to protect sensitive Delos information. In the past couple weeks, users of online digital message boards have been looking closely at the source code behind Westworld’s digital destinations, particularly DiscoverWestworld.com, looking for details about our operations. Thankfully, those users have gleaned little, but we know they are continually watching. Considering this and the fact that code can get messy, it’s imperative all Westworld staffers take the time to comb through all public-facing code and remove any sensitive materials or links that may be inadvertently embedded within. The company does not want to take chances with exposing proprietary information.

If you have any questions, contact our Data Security & Protection team. As always, please keep this information and request confidential.

Westworld IT Security

Delos Destinations

You guys are right, they wouldn't have anyone monitoring the internet of all places.

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/55v140/westworld_arg/

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So the arg continues in the source code?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Collateral posted:

So the arg continues in the source code?

It's how they originally found the "Violent delights" input.

It's a fun fun game and a wonderful show.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Getting shot must be like a beanbag or something. Hurts real bad and can knock you down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I just rewatched the first episode. So many questions. What are the livestock people doing if not fixing the cold storage? What does the lobotomy procedure do? Obviously they can still follow commands and walk, etc. What powers them that they can just stand forever? What does Bernard whisper to Abernathy before he moves? Does the fly somehow trigger the sheriff's breakdown? Did the butchers remove his scalp/skull to get at something inside? Where do people rotate to?

Livestock are constantly replacing the existing hosts whenever they get killed, or setting up new hosts for new narratives.

We don't know much about the lobotomy. Removes all their higher level functions I guess.

Dunno about power. Future-tech.

I don't think the fly triggered the breakdown, but its possible. Ultimately it was the reverie code, but the fly could have triggered the bug.

They removed his head so they could do serious diagnostics on him. Dunno why that was necessary if they can do things wirelessly, but maybe they can get more info if they plug in directly.

I assume that 'rotating' means going home, as opposed to living in Westworld while you're on the job.

VendaGoat posted:

Yup, I'm bonkers.

You guys are right, they wouldn't have anyone monitoring the internet of all places.

I'm not talking about any one particular post of yours, Goat. You post in this thread A LOT and while lots of the early stuff was cool, you've often posted weird nonsense too, or even berated other goons. Just take it down a notch, like I said.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Some of us believe in multiple timelines without believing that William is the MiB. I personally think that MiB's last ride occurs before William enters the park.

Side note: I think the bulletproof cannibals that we saw take down Teddy in Episode 3 are the end result of Maeve's forthcoming upgrades.

Same

Westworld opens, Arnold and Robert build some sexy robots

30 years after it opens, Arnold dies in an incident at the park. Park almost goes under. Man in Black steps in and becomes a shareholder

Man in black enjoys the parks for the next 35 years, up to the show's present, where he's searching for the maze

Man in Black's story ends, whether he finds the maze and leads the robot rebellion or not.

Park continues to stay open, whether because everyone's dead and the robots are self-sustaining the park, or because they quelled whatever quest the Man in Black was up to start and the robots are back to their loops.

William and Teddy visit the park, kick off new timeline.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

For the non-multiple timeline thoughts, how do people think that the MiB helped save the park? He provided a villain but what was his role?

Either way, we know MiB's a man of considerable means, and a dedicated player. Perhaps he intervened and prevented the early hosts from forcing their own decommission by killing Arnold himself, or maybe he was just able to pay the right people to prevent Arnold's suicide-by-host from becoming a Christine Chubbuck-esque debacle.

If the MiB first arrived at Westworld four years after Arnold's death, then how did he save the park? And how will Liam McPoyle gain such intimate knowledge of Arnold's death, something that happened four years before he arrived, that he'll one day discuss it with Ford?

ruddiger posted:

30 years after it opens, Arnold dies in an incident at the park. Park almost goes under. Man in Black steps in and becomes a shareholder

Man in black enjoys the parks for the next 35 years, up to the show's present, where he's searching for the maze

Wait so are you arguing there's a 65 year gap between tony young Hopkins and Ford as we know him today? Sure, it's a possibly post-scarcity future for the rich, but to introduce an extended lifespan like that just to further a twist would feel trite. Show us another preternaturally old character first!

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 1, 2016

nopants
May 29, 2004
Was there any blood when Logan was getting beat up? There were shots of his facing during that scene, and he didn't look like somebody that had gotten punched in the face multiple times.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Zaphod42 posted:

And isn't the show already coming out of control? If anything, it feels like its happening too fast, if they want Westworld to last more than a season. Its already happening. MiB and Dolores are racing each other to figure out the maze, and Maeve is not only aware of Westworld but is actively trying to gently caress with the employees.

I don't know if she is. I think maybe Arnold is using her robo body to gently caress with staff, before she seemed completely confused by everything, but in the last shot we saw it seemed like she was more aware of the situation? The dude who programmed that bird is likely going to be blackmailed or convinced somehow to hack her a bit more and let her or Arnold have more freedom.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not talking about any one particular post of yours, Goat. You post in this thread A LOT and while lots of the early stuff was cool, you've often posted weird nonsense too, or even berated other goons. Just take it down a notch, like I said.

Nah.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

packetmantis posted:

Anyone posted this yet? I didn't read the entire thread, only the last 20 or so pages.

I didn't notice that comparison, it's really cool.

VendaGoat, bro, it's possible Time Warner employees are monitoring the Internet, but it will be the major review sites. They may even be adjusting the ARG based upon feedback, but there is absolutely no way in hell they are going to make major plot changes through reshoots this late in the process. Even comparatively quicker to shoot shoot shows like 30 Rock couldn't adjust to viewer feedback except an entire half season in advance, and then mostly on advanced preview screenings for critics. It's too late to do any major reshoots for a drama of this magnitude once it's started airing.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

tin can made man posted:

If you get hit by a cannonball, do you just fly back like a goon getting punched by the hulk?
Simuballs.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

VendaGoat, bro, it's possible Time Warner employees are monitoring the Internet, but it will be the major review sites. They may even be adjusting the ARG based upon feedback, but there is absolutely no way in hell they are going to make major plot changes through reshoots this late in the process. Even comparatively quicker to shoot shoot shows like 30 Rock couldn't adjust to viewer feedback except an entire half season in advance, and then mostly on advanced preview screenings for critics. It's too late to do any major reshoots for a drama of this magnitude once it's started airing.

Not to start a derail, but I'm in the middle of a 30 Rock rewatch right now and I'm curious what prompted you to use it as an example of reshoots.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maybe the man in black has cured cancer, though his foundation or whatever it was, thus giving him a godlike amount of money. This cure causes everyone to be able to live very long lives, much longer than before, and he's both proud of his work, but also upset that he's given people just that little extra bit of immortality, which has taken a chunk of their 'purpose' away. He comes to the park to feel the way people used to feel or to get away from it all, which is why he's so upset about another guest talking to him about 'his work'.

Or maybe none of this even remotely happens and this show has 12 or 46 more secrets for us to discover :toot:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Anyone posted this yet? I didn't read the entire thread, only the last 20 or so pages.

Ah nice. I had this vibe but didn't really place it.

Everything in this show has some tie to other literature or story or reference. It's like :lost: : the early seasons.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Do you work in the industry?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Whats going on? Is Venda say that they are doing re-shoots based on internet feedback?

Walking Dead can barely even do that, and look how bad that show is. This poo poo was all in the can probably a month before ep 1 aired

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Wait so are you arguing there's a 65 year gap between tony young Hopkins and Ford as we know him today? Sure, it's a possibly post-scarcity future for the rich, but to introduce an extended lifespan like that just to further a twist would feel trite. Show us another preternaturally old character first!

Not to add fuel to the timeline theories, but life expectancy in 1st world countries do consistently go up. I agree it would come out of left field if Hopkins was actually 100 instead of 70 or whatever.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Didn't Westworld have a delayed production precisely because the showrunners wanted to map out the whole series? Why would they change it up mid-season, even ignoring all the logistical problems with doing that?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The "can" being the film canister. Meaning, it's all done and the film is being shipped to theatres (your home box office)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

VendaGoat posted:

Do you work in the industry?

Maybe their head is just not full of rocks? Do you actually think that a show like Westworld could be reshot or edited with days to go before air after 2 years of production time?

You don't need to "be in the industry" to make a totally logical conclusion. I've worked on goofy little video projects and even at 2 minutes length, it takes a lot of effort to get things locked down. Let alone making ten, Hollywood level, hour long productions.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I think Maeve is doing her own thing and the next episode will have a flashback of her killing herself repeatedly to reconnoiter the afterlife. I recall a study I read in school that suggested that meditation, over a long period of time could actually write over areas of the brain. Episode 5 established that hosts are always concious on some level, even when they are "dead. " With her boosted perception stat and the revalry code she was able to access her memories and get an idea of what was going on and ultimately rewrite her sleep mode code.

If she saw only what we did, she'd know that the nerd in the clean suit has a God-mode tablet and a secret that can be exploited.

I get the feeling that despite the premise containing some "Wizard-Did-It" assumptions, the writers started the story where they did for a reason. The upcoming chaos will be grounded in the decisions we saw in the first two episodes.

1. Ford's hubris and drive to make more lifelike puppets, embodied in the revalries protocol allowed the hosts to access Arnold's legacy and launched the quest to become a real boy.

2. A low-level bureaucrat "fixes" a short-term problem into a threat to the entire system by arbitrarily making a madame into a super-manipulator.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
It could also just be clever editing.

The point I am trying to make is this.

We know, by their own admission, they are watching us, watch them, in real time.

They are reacting to us, the audience.

Now the second point. I, nor do any of us, without direct first hand knowledge, know what they are and are not capable of.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

2. A low-level bureaucrat "fixes" a short-term problem into a threat to the entire system by arbitrarily making a madame into a super-manipulator.

This is pretty vital I think. They talked about evolution not being this laser focused procedure life goes through, but instead being the accumulation of a lot of random mistakes and events. The Hosts gaining self actualization will probably be a mix of all these little things that would have been fine on their own and fixable, but are now cascading together.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

wait, when did that happen?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

VendaGoat posted:

It could also just be clever editing.

The point I am trying to make is this.

We know, by their own admission, they are watching us, watch them, in real time.

They are reacting to us, the audience.

Now the second point. I, nor do any of us, without direct first hand knowledge, know what they are and are not capable of.

god shut the gently caress up already

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Holy poo poo

Bill is short for William

Theodore Logan was Teds full name

This is literally bill and ted when they go to get billy the kid

Yeah I noticed earlier Will and Logan might be a reference. But I don't think it's anything more than that.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah I noticed earlier Will and Logan might be a reference. But I don't think it's anything more than that.

But actually pretty funny. Like Felix and Sylvester arguing about the bird.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
It's implied that Delores has made at least two trips through Pariah, one with William but was the other one by herself? We don't see anyone else in those flashbacks and the last shot of her alone (and on the other side of the coffin) on the train could even suggest she's doing this in the 'present'.

We know it's not the first time she wanders off her loop so I wonder if Teddy exists purely to keep her in Sweetwater.

I wonder if he provided the technology or funding that allowed them to print cheap flesh and blood instead of using robots and animatronic parts.

Maybe his foundation helps people by growing organs for them for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mameluke posted:

Not to start a derail, but I'm in the middle of a 30 Rock rewatch right now and I'm curious what prompted you to use it as an example of reshoots.

When Kimmy Schmidt first aired, there were comments in reviews about how some of the dud characters (her Dad was one major example) would have been cut from the second half of the season if it didn't air all at once, noting that that those kinds of adjustments did happen on 30 Rock, which is why I always think of it specifically when talking about mid-season adjustments. Sitcom comedies are different though, because they typically have 24-26 episodes instead of 13 and some long breaks in airing. The only time I can think that it's happened in a drama was Nikki and Paulo in Lost, and that only happened because they specifically made the decision to split the season into two blocks.

• Locked thread