Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just read a page whenever. That's what I do.
There's some fascinating discussion though, like when that single-issue voter came into the last thread who was voting for some other candidate because they were 100% anti-choice, and the arguments that entailed. Just a shame the thread moves at a lightning pace because even if I were to read 20~ pages a day I'd never catch up.

Was mostly curious what other folks do, I guess. Maybe I'll do 10 pages at a time, that'd be manageable I think and likely wouldn't skip over major stuff since whenever anything big happens 1500 posts appear instantly. :v:

Guy Goodbody posted:

If there's a big backlog, I just read the top post on every page. It's a pretty good way to see if the thread is discussing actual things or just having stupid arguments
That's a pretty good idea, actually. Maybe skim the top two posts.

haveblue posted:

Scroll through every page at the highest speed that lets you notice and stop on embedded tweets and blockquotes with one bold sentence.
I read on my phone, so tweets are just links.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who the gently caress is "they"? All Russians? Even Pussy Riot and that dude with the Hydraulic Press youtube channel?

Hydraulic Press guy is Finnish. The Finns aren't a part of Russia :ssh:.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
On the subject of Ground Game, I was at a campaign office in Arizona on Sunday and the place was packed. Something like 30 people in there and probably twice as many people out knocking on doors.

Nate Silver seems to have pretty low odds for Kirkpatrick winning the Senate, but I can't believe they'd push so aggressively if it was really a lost cause.

Based on what I've heard about the Trump campaign's ground presence, I think there's a real chance for things to go way better than anyone predicted.

Like, to use a tortured sports metaphor, the normal situation is two teams, often mismatched trying to score points. But this time, it's like one team didn't even bother to show up, or maybe put up an intramural sports club against a professional team.

I don't think the Dems are taking the House, but I think they might get enough seats to put the other side into a really tough situation if they can't maintain party unity.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo...... :gonk:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bassetking posted:

Jesus gently caress, does the gun have structural support drywall?

im gonna be real and say i don't know enough about guns or construction to be clever here

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

yeah, its funny how even though I know its explicitly a joke even the idea makes my stomach sink

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who the gently caress is "they"? All Russians? Even Pussy Riot and that dude with the Hydraulic Press youtube channel?

Hydraulic press dude is from Finland

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Yes, the Grand Duchy is another title owned by the Emperor, and not one of the 3 Crowns of All the Russias.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The very idea of this hits me almost as hard as E-Mails popping up Friday did.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rookersh posted:

Even so, I think my point stands.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/793502950748463104

FBI runs on Outback Steakhouse rules: NO RULES, JUST RIGHT [wing]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol he edited his post

too late i already quoted it peech

Peechka posted:

Here is my new frankenAR15 I just built. for Hillary and Obama. $530 Works great although wolf steel dont cycle through it. (yet)

Yeah I know, cheap rear end scope that people say does not work. But let me tell you something, I mounted that thing on, no sighting in and at 50 yrds it was 1 in low and to the left. After about 250 rounds through it its still keeping its zero, does not flicker or anything. $80, yeah ill take it.

http://i.imgur.com/ykgOhKR.jpg

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Polls are not results. Do not compare 1 to 1.

Clinton is underperforming 2012 Obama in swing state polls. Her lead is based on high margins in unimportant states. And the voter suppression plan in NC worked.

Should be a fun election night.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Talmonis posted:

Here's the thing, if they hate us so much that they want to gently caress with our elections and screw with our people for a living, they clearly don't deserve the parts they enjoy.
That's 1:1 Trump's logic on muslims btw.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spaced God posted:

WTF :derp:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey why not be honest? Once again I hope you get help.
You can go through my history in this or any USPol thread and if you find a single post in which I have wished death on a poster I will never post in USPOL again.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol he edited his post

Um, doesn't this sort of thing usually get someone banned or are TFR rules a little different?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Agrajag posted:

Hydraulic press dude is from Finland
I'd take him for president

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol he edited his post

haha he deleted the image too

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
This is as good a place to ask as any, I guess: why are self-proclaimed liberals openly racist towards Russians (and other Slavic peoples) so much of the time, despite their insistence on pretending that they aren't racist in all other situations?

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

What's the best way to keep up with this thread? I was over 4000 posts behind on the last one when it was locked, with my method of "read every fifth page" doing a decent job of keeping me up to date on what's going on, but still falling behind the rapid pace of these threads. I tried skipping to the end but often found myself mid-discussion about something and got a little lost. A lot of the discussion is great, there's just too much to read all of it, even when I skip whenever it goes into users bickering about petty unrelated things.
Honestly, the odds of you missing anything valuable in this thread are incredibly slim. General rule: if you see a poster-on-poster attack, skip forward thirty pages. If you see a poll that looks good for Trump, skip ten. If you see the word "Comey", skip five.

Perfect example of what you're missing:
https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/793503341108002816
tweeted by @JeffFlake:
huhhh@kjzzphoenixwgH

MrBuddyLee fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 1, 2016

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Morons getting spun up into a full Anti-Russian froth is funny IMO

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stultus Maximus posted:

Um, doesn't this sort of thing usually get someone banned or are TFR rules a little different?

i'm more impressed that it just floated right through that thread w/o comment

goddamn, tfr

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Spaced God posted:

what the gently caress. even if you take Comey being in the tank for the GOP as a given, how does this look good from an optics perspective. I know they're not the CIA but you would expect the head of the FBI to not be a complete dumbass

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Talmonis posted:

Here's the thing, if they hate us so much that they want to gently caress with our elections and screw with our people for a living, they clearly don't deserve the parts they enjoy.

Setting aside the "they" thing other posters have jumped on, how exactly will the Russian general populace benefit from being cut off from outside information?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

This is as good a place to ask as any, I guess: why are self-proclaimed liberals openly racist towards Russians (and other Slavic peoples) so much of the time, despite their insistence on pretending that they aren't racist in all other situations?

That is a good question about a thing that isn't true.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Spaced God posted:

Lol falling back to plan B

I hope Russia has a sub waiting out in the Atlantic for Comey, Hail Caesar! style

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

WeAreTheRomans posted:

what the gently caress. even if you take Comey being in the tank for the GOP as a given, how does this look good from an optics perspective. I know they're not the CIA but you would expect the head of the FBI to not be a complete dumbass

they're not called the feebs for nothing

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you can't tell the difference between racism and political opposition towards the current Russian leadership and its allies, maybe there's just no loving hope for you, Lumpy.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That is a good question about a thing that isn't true.

It's sort of opposite of what's true: lots of "anti-imperialist" "liberals" are racists as gently caress against anyone Eastern European who isn't Russian.
See for example: Stein, Jill.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol he edited his post

the funny thing too is that once its been reported that version is saved even if they chage it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Comey clearly has no control over what is going on over there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Lumpy the Cook posted:

As a liberal I notice this too. I think its a leftover from everybody dunking on the soviet union for 50 years.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The majority of the Russian people, who give Vlad an 82% approval rating. That's extremely popular for a guy who smugly invades other countries and annexes them after chortling about "little green men," when called on it.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

Comey clearly has no control over what is going on over there.

tell us more about the inner workings of the FBI, Deep Throat

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Talmonis posted:

The majority of the Russian people, who give Vlad an 82% approval rating.
lmao okay

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

M_Gargantua posted:

As a liberal I notice this too. I think its a leftover from everybody dunking on the soviet union for 50 years.

Seriously: where are people being racist against Russians or Slavic people? I literally have no idea what the gently caress you're referring to.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Talmonis posted:

The majority of the Russian people, who give Vlad an 82% approval rating. That's extremely popular for a guy who smugly invades other countries and annexes them after chortling about "little green men," when called on it.

Do keep in mind that Russia has no widespread free press.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

im gonna be real and say i don't know enough about guns or construction to be clever here

There is/was a poster named Grover.

Grover was an "Engineer" with "The Government Military".

He felt this meant he had all the qualifications to not only build his own house, but wire, and insulate it as well.

He built it in a swamp.

It is a house that literally had Structural Drywall.

This is like saying "Oh, yeah, I built my heat-shield out of paper-mache and snow"

The idea of a Grovergun is a horrifying concept, because it combines the willful, enthusiastic ignorance of the craft of construction with the dogged determination to make something come out of the end of that barrel.

Someone is losing a hand, and it may be more than one person.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615264&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post426743391 This should help explain further.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Talmonis posted:

The majority of the Russian people, who give Vlad an 82% approval rating.

Yes, that is certainly what happens and there is no further context there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Talmonis posted:

The polls aren't rigged he claimed...

• Locked thread