Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

On the other hand, fuel consumption at those speeds is going to be even more horrendous. $400 in gas to go 500 miles or so is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Dat oil pressure at 90.

..and the oddly crappy power drain. Alt failing now? :ohdear:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

On the other hand, fuel consumption at those speeds is going to be even more horrendous. $400 in gas to go 500 miles or so is ridiculous.

This is not to be a tale of wise decisions, carefully made.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

West SAAB Story posted:

..and the oddly crappy power drain. Alt failing now? :ohdear:

80s americana wiring at its finest.

E: Sent 14" a few bux. Please don't freeze to death driving that pile. worst case buy a bus ticket with it.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 1, 2016

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

He said he's getting 230 miles per tank which is about what my TJ gets - not terrible but not really good at all. He should be paying under $3/gallon and a 20 gallon tank = $60 fill up.

Has mpg gotten way worse?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Almost 1000 miles down, :hellyeah:

Astonishing Wang posted:

He said he's getting 230 miles per tank which is about what my TJ gets - not terrible but not really good at all.

It's pretty good if he's doing it at 90+

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

He said he's getting 230 miles per tank which is about what my TJ gets - not terrible but not really good at all. He should be paying under $3/gallon and a 20 gallon tank = $60 fill up.

He's also burning a gallon of oil for every gallon of gasoline.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Astonishing Wang posted:

In 80s shitboxes that are drinking Lucas "don't asplode yet" like it's water? He might as well be driving an 80s GM vehicle.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Hell was but a distant memory for the old Jeep. It'd been there. It'd done that. It bore the scars of long-forgotten battles fought on freeways across the country and hodge-podge repairs that barely kept it functioning. For a time it had been allowed to rust, perhaps for most suvs this would be the end, but fate had other plans.The cracked windshield rattled as the worn suspension bounced over a minor bump in the road. The driver responded by goosing the throttle, as if to punish the vehicle for daring to speak.

The current maniac behind its wheel was cruel, having filled the crankcase with lucas oil stabilizer. The result was truly a miracle only known to AMX vehicles, for a time, worn bearings, stuck lifters, and old seals were given new life by the higher viscosity and frothier oil. Any other motor likely would've failed long before now, but the old XJ pioneered on, now somewhere between Montana and Wyoming.

This was the Jeep's final ride, or so it hoped. It had no need for bubblegum or hope, just more oil stabilizer; having been forced into a vicious cycle of additive addiction that would ultimately end in one of two ways, engine failure, or 2qt of gear oil, followed by engine failure. At every stop it washed down more oil stabilizer with gallons upon gallons of gasoline. It gluttonously gulped down fluids as its only outlet against its owner, having broken its own gauges to force the issue.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Current position - Wyoming, 115 miles to Gillette

14 INCH posted:

exactly 10mpg and 1/2 qt oil loss after 125 mile straight pedal to the firewall WOT

gotta hand it to the bitch it can take what it gives

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Although it's YouTube, welp..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7sjRRXw7zI

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

now make sure they understand

my lonely martyr, this will be over soon

you drive so precious

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6kJaGiRaI

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Latest from 14. He sounds in good spirits. I asked him about plans for the truck with everyone leaving:

"I am cleanup crew. I stay till it lives"

"If Sims decrees it i get it to florida for him"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

everdave posted:

Latest from 14. He sounds in good spirits. I asked him about plans for the truck with everyone leaving:

"I am cleanup crew. I stay till it lives"

"If Sims decrees it i get it to florida for him"

This has taken a turn for the :black101:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

INCH is actually Immortan Joe.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oil pressure looks pretty good (50-60psi hot running?) for a 4.0L that old, but I'm assuming some of that is the lucas talking.

Volt gauge is at the very end of a long bare-minimum-gauge wiring loop, that voltage looks absolutely fine for a RENIX w/ the old Delco alternator setup. If he has the headlights or blower or both running, he's probably actually boiling the battery right now with the gauge reading like that, headlights-on @ normal charging voltage on those usually means you'll see like 12 or 13 on the gauge, headlights+blower you can see as low as 10 to 12. It's retarded and I'm glad they fixed that in 97.

I think that might also be the second highest speed I've ever seen indicated on a RENIX speedo. Highest was 97mph in my friend Sam's '90 2.5L (!) TBI (!!) 4speed (!!!) MJ. No, I don't know how.

What is the plan? Is the jeep ending up stranded in NE, stranded in FL, or going back to WA after? I suppose that depends on the truck outcome somewhat. INQUIRING MINDS NEED TO KNOW

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

manson shirt in wyoming is a fart in the middle of church

-----------------

In the interest of transparency and making sure all funds went where they were supposed to, here is the donation list, in order of most recent to oldest:

John G + $20.00
Mark S + $20.00
Jason D + $50.00
Blake T + $50.00
John H + $25.00
Matthew W + $75.00
The Laptop Dudes + $25.00
Arthur S + $45.00
Shawn H+ $40.00
Liam C + $75.00

That gives $425 current PP balance showing available, plus $45 CAD (~$33.60) pending also from Arthur S on behalf of slung blade, for a current total of $458.60

I fronted $469 ($450 plus the $9.50x2 in charges) to 14", so at this time consider me caught up, I'm out less than ten bucks (and I would be happy to send more than that myself). Check my maths, but y'all are generous and amazing and please don't send any more funds at this time!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Me: ...what's up?

14 INCH JOE posted:

no isssues just locating my rhino rush and noticed the cat gets hot doing 90

filled up last with ethanol free 91 octane due to it being only choice period and gas mileage and power both seem way up. oddly so does oil use but i have more than enough from another closeout score

Me: Ken says your speedo is at the second highest indicated he's seen on any renix era jeep

14 INCH JOE posted:

ask him how much past the trip meter i needed it because i chickened out taking that one

Me: Location estimate?

14 INCH JOE posted:

50 miles to wyoming border

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How does a loving 4.0 knock?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Not enough sand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I swear the crack in the windshield looks better with each set of pics. Like it's healing itself.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

It's A Jeep Thing®

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Drivin' Dude

quote:

There was a dark hilarity in his face, and perhaps in his jeep, too, you would think—and you would be right. It was the jeep of a happy man, a jeep that radiated a horrible handsome warmth, a jeep to make water glasses shatter in the hands of tired truck-stop waitresses, to make small children crash their trikes into board fences and then run wailing to their mommies with stake-shaped splinters sticking out of their knees.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno posted:

I swear the crack in the windshield looks better with each set of pics. Like it's healing itself.

Okay...show me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

angryrobots posted:

14 INCH JOE posted:

ask him how much past the trip meter i needed it because i chickened out taking that one
Roughly straight down or a bit past it (at least on a 96) is 120, GPS verified, that's the fastest I've ever done. I don't recommend it, it feels smooth but anything goes wrong and you'll leave a debris trail bigger than Columbia.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The one in my 98 did after 250k+ miles (in a different chassis), 20 or 30k miles with me, followed by hooning it around back roads with 1.5-2 quarts of oil in it without lifting in corners even when hearing rod knock and lifter rattle due to losing oil pressure. I tore it down during the mantrans swap and found each rod bearing had about 2/3 of its copper showing, slid new bearings in with a bit of assembly lube, and it quieted right down, then rejected its organ transplant within days and knocked again. Still drove it the same, still didn't care, it quieted down after about a half mile of driving in the morning.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Astonishing Wang posted:

Yeah, 230 to the tank is about what my shitbox XJ was getting before I traded it in.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Sounds like he's doing alright. The van we took up here seemed like it got slightly worse milage than he's getting.

Of course, we drove it pretty much nonstop for 26 hours sooo...

14" update: Should be entering SD soon, about 4 hours away from Valentine now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

Is this going to happen?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This will be like the Golden Spike in the Transcontinental Railroad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ExplodingSims posted:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH JOE posted:

note do not apply jb weld to the face no matter whats been stolen from Inchmortan Joe, it is not make up and while carb cleaner does take it off but burns like real bad

Then:

14 INCH JOE posted:

lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, 90 in Montana is OK. Once you cross the state line, you're in slower territory and you're an evil presumably-Hillary-supporting Washingtonian to boot, you gotta slow the gently caress down.

I hope this is just a 10+ over kind of thing and not an "Excessive display of speed" level violation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh man, he shaved his head again. poo poo's serious.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The dream is still alive brothers the cop just tagged him for 90 in an 80

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh poo poo, hope he got off with a warning and isn't stuck in a small town pound-me-in-the-rear end-squeal-like-a-pig jail :ohdear:

[edit] 10 over aint bad, still probably aint cheap tho.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
He is back on the road but reporting Jeep down one cylinder. He is going to try to make it to truck site tonight.

Quick edit: he is 17 miles from Sturgis and says he has good supply of oil and gas

everdave fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 2, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

everdave posted:

He is going to try to make it to truck site tonight.

:f5:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

he said quote i only wrote you for doing 90 in an 80

proceeding to primary target

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Also, last I heard he does not have turn by turn directly to Sims or even address of the truck location, or wherever he needs to meet them.

Could someone verify with Sims that he gets this? He needs it before getting off the interstate into unknown cell coverage.

• Locked thread