Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Smash it Smash hit posted:

So far, I have just gotten letters and calls. They have threatened to call the cops but lol hasnt happened yet. The city left a warning citation for my overgrown lawn a few months ago but, I really didnt do much. A tree fell down because of a storm so maybe they think that all that left over branches was me cleaning up?

if you're not careful you won't get invited to the holiday party and without sucking up to them you'll never have a shot at getting on city council.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

TheLightPurges posted:

Please don't leave garbage in your yard, leave traps like a true man.

?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

SeXReX posted:

if you're not careful you won't get invited to the holiday party and without sucking up to them you'll never have a shot at getting on city council.

their partys are lame af anyways on the off chance there is booze and it does run later than 9pm everyone is really boring and just gets sloppy without any of the funny or amusing antics. they just pathetically pass out in chairs until everyone either does the same or leaves.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Lol

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

drat!

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
~*~white people~*~

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Nuh uh. Wouldn't the weight of the burrito alone set it off?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Plus the flavor is so explosive so the bullet is irrelevant.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Chlamyllionaire posted:

Nuh uh. Wouldn't the weight of the burrito alone set it off?

no beef sub potatoes :rolleyes:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

What sort of authority do HOA's have? In college I remember getting an angry call from my landlord because he said our area HOA association called him bitching about the trash in our back yard. It was a flat tire my roomate had replaced two days before and a taco bell Big Box on top of it.

The "authority" that a HOA can have ranges from yard upkeep to the colour of blinds you have in your windows. Some of the things that I have heard friends talk about being dictated by their HOA's.

-garbage times (when you can put garbage on the curb)
-grass length, times to cut, type of grass :stare:
-no hanging laundry
-no wind-chimes, bird-feeders, anything decorative in yard (flamingos, gnomes, etc)
-colour of the shingles on your home
-vinyl siding colour
-colour of the blinds in your home
-colour of the stain you use on your privacy fence
-if kiddie pools are allowed in your back yard
-children's playground equipment in your back yard
-types of decorative shrubs in your yard
-parking rules (on curb, in driveway, some even dictate your vehicle must be inside at night [to deter thieves coming to the neighbourhood])
-how often you can/can't water your lawn
-outdoor cooking on the BBQ
-music volume/party days and times
-aftermarket mufflers on vehicles (the ones that make Civics 10x as loud)
-show shovelling responsibilities (where you can/have to shovel, where the snow goes)

HOA's are how old people and stay at home moms feel like their lives matter by telling others what to do. Sometimes the HOA is decent and just makes sure nobody is letting their yard go wild, and other times they fine households thousands of dollars because their 6 year old hung up a pinecone birdfeeder he made in school.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Blistex posted:

The "authority" that a HOA can have ranges from yard upkeep to the colour of blinds you have in your windows.

I think they were asking what power do HOAs have to enforce their command over the neighborhood. I don't have an answer though

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Toadvine posted:

I think they were asking what power do HOAs have to enforce their command over the neighborhood. I don't have an answer though

You sign a contract when you move in saying you will abide by the HOA.

They can't have you arrested or anything but they can do whatever anyone else can do if you break a contract, they can sue you for fees/damages/etc.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 1, 2016

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Toadvine posted:

They can go as far as getting a lien on the house

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

But where does the authority come from? Like if I buy a house from some person, how can a group of people nearby dictate those things? Do they own the land or something?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Basically if they litigate and you don't comply then you'll get hit with contempt of court charges and send your rear end to the clink for 30 days (see: "suck my dick you fuckman").

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Someone must of died in my HOA since I stopped getting letters about my lawn. What makes me mad is there is a school bus stop next to my house. Kids leaving their garbage and bookbags on my lawn. I have some kid's bookbag in my garage, with his homework and text books. Hasn't asked for it back yet .

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Well, ok, they've got you if you sign a contract, right?

But then, the question becomes: do you have to join an HOA if you buy a house in an HOA neighborhood?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

TheLightPurges posted:

they can sue you for fees/damages/etc.

uh oh lol

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

But where does the authority come from? Like if I buy a house from some person, how can a group of people nearby dictate those things? Do they own the land or something?

It's attached to the deed of the house. Never saw an HOA rulebook with rules about traps though, you're in the clear.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Edgar posted:

Someone must of died in my HOA since I stopped getting letters about my lawn. What makes me mad is there is a school bus stop next to my house. Kids leaving their garbage and bookbags on my lawn. I have some kid's bookbag in my garage, with his homework and text books. Hasn't asked for it back yet .

They don't ask for their stuff back if you kill them.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
put landmines in your yard they cant prove you installed them

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
yall im not trying to kill these kids i am being very up front about them, sure maybe a little injury or so but nothing that they wont build character from!

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

When you buy or sell the house, part of the HOA contract is that the new person join the HOA.

Basically they're like vampires once you let them in they own you.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLF_and_PAVN_battle_tactics

"Do not be embarrassed by your failures"
-Richard Branson

quote:

NLF and PAVN battle tactics comprised a flexible mix of guerrilla and conventional warfare battle tactics used by the Main Force of the People's Liberation Armed Forces (known as the National Liberation Front or Viet Cong in the West) and the NVA (People's Army-Vietnam) to defeat their American and South Vietnamese (GVN/ARVN) opponents during the Vietnam War.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

calm.jpg

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Putting beartraps on your lawn will allow you to deal with those perky children easily. If you don't want to kill them, just use the toothless ones and it will only seriously injure their legs.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
A well camouflaged pit will satisfy the HOA and serve your needs.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Just set your entire lawn on fire.

That will end all the problems.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just put all the razor wire in a room in the attic like in Suspiria.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I've discovered the lanscaping wonder that is Cactus. That, or Spiny Acacia. Simply wonderful plants to decorate any well-trod palthways.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Is there a place I can buy like a REALLY big Venus fly trap?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Home sweet home :allears:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Is there a place I can buy like a REALLY big Venus fly trap?

The Little Shop of Horrors. :thejoke: ? :dukedoge:

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toadvine posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLF_and_PAVN_battle_tactics

"Do not be embarrassed by your failures"
-Richard Branson

im reading this

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

into eternity is cool

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

paul_soccer10 posted:

im reading this

I'm playing battlefield 1

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

now what about fake trees that collapse when kids try to climb them?

a better design would be a fake tree that collapses, that is actually a catapult in disguise, so it springs back up and the little bitch loser kid gets launched back into his soccer mom's mini van

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Rah! posted:

a better design would be a fake tree that collapses, that is actually a catapult in disguise, so it springs back up and the little bitch loser kid gets launched back into his soccer mom's mini van

*begins nodding sagely*

• Locked thread