Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh gently caress
http://www.thelaughshopcalgary.com/event/norm-macdonald-exclusive-concert-presentation/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

A co-workers's sister has an Elantra and bizarrely it keeps dumping fuel into the crankcase. It's a year old at this point, been in the shop for, no exaggeration, 6 months and they still can't fix it. Anecdotal I know, but between that and my old co-workers brand new Santa Fe needing a new long block within 30 days of delivery, I don't get the warm fuzzies with Hyundai.

THAT SAID, the shopping trip yesterday was an exercise in frustration. I think they have their mind set on a Honda Fit and were hoping just to have me confirm their choice. They are a very nice car for what they are, but I'll tell you guys, the little Chevy Spark surprised me with value and they are also made in Korea.

The infotainment display screen is absolutely trick and you can cast your phone screen to it so you literally have the NAV on your phone, including controls, maps, everything on it. Makes a factory NAV unit completely obsolete. They only had the base models in stock but if I was in the market for a little shitbox, it would be on my short list.

That said, the Honda dealer is being dinks, not budging at all from full MSRP and want top dollar on every loving thing. $200 for floormats, $200 for a loving block heater which they don't even need, $750 for an admin fee, $100 for locking lugs, you name it. This is for a couple that has been buying cars there since 1983.

I told them if they insist on a Fit, to wait until the 2017s are in which will be literally any day now and maybe go to Calgary to buy it. The MSRP is virtually identical and it won't be a year old before they even buy it. Also, Honda moved Fit production back to Japan reportedly due to quality problems from their Mexican plant.

What about a Fiesta or Focus? They've seemed to be improving over the last 5 years, and from what I've seen their pricing isn't ridiculous.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, they ruled out Ford for ~reasons~

Like I said, pretty sure they (more "she" to be fair) was just hoping to have me confirm which she wants. She wants a Fit, period.

I did tell her at this stage just to wait until the 17s are out which is imminently. A 2016 right now is still full pop and it's a year old so no benefit at all for that.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Yeah, gently caress that. Or buy a 16 when the 17's are on the lot and save decent $$ instead of paying MSRP (for the love of god never pay MSRP)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

CHILD TRICK OR TREAT CENSUS: I had 13 show up at my door. Seems down from last year.

Best costume: A stay puff'd marshmallow man suit.

Also I got a good cup and a half of seeds from my tiny pumpkin, they were nice and easily detached from the pulp, baked em up with a little olive oil, salt, and beef seasoning that I got from the Mexican grocer in Forrest lawn, awesome.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

CHILD TRICK OR TREAT CENSUS: 78, up from 35 last year. Actually ran out of Candy and had to resort to "expired" crispy kernels airplane snacks.

Best costume: Don Hertzfeld's Rejected "My spoon is to big" Banana. Worn by an ~8 year old.

Edit: The dad was carrying a giant spoon and the kid did not say "trick or treat", he stayed in character.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

slidebite posted:

Yeah, they ruled out Ford for ~reasons~

Like I said, pretty sure they (more "she" to be fair) was just hoping to have me confirm which she wants. She wants a Fit, period.

I did tell her at this stage just to wait until the 17s are out which is imminently. A 2016 right now is still full pop and it's a year old so no benefit at all for that.

What about the Mazda 3? Aside from it being slowish (for me) and FWD it's a fantastic car.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Best costume: Don Hertzfeld's Rejected "My spoon is to big" Banana. Worn by an ~8 year old.

Edit: The dad was carrying a giant spoon and the kid did not say "trick or treat", he stayed in character.

Dear god that's amazing

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Also, we closed the deal on the Tucson yesterday. I think we did well on pricing and got exactly what the wife wanted. I drove it to work yesterday and it isn't quite as nice as the Lincoln was but it's on warranty and it's a good size, with better fuel economy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Congrats man. Hopefully you didn't lose your shirt on the Lincoln?

Posted in the chat thread but yeah, 247 kids and I'm pretty sure I under-counted a few. Easy to miss some when you have 15+ kids at your door at once and you're just handing it out.

Several fantastic costumes this year. Most memorable was a poop emoji, a little duffer dressed very well as Darth Vader with parents as Stormtroopers, and for questionable reasons a couple probably around 16ish year old girls were very memorable. Doorbell rings, open the door, and there stands a couple of 5'9"+ girls. One as Catwoman in an extremely tight form-fitting black plastic outfit that left nothing to the imagination and the other as Harley Quinn, with the same for fit of costume. These costumes could have come from a sex shop.

:aaa:

I'm sure all the moms answering the doors were impressed when dads walking by sprained their necks.

Wrar posted:

What about the Mazda 3? Aside from it being slowish (for me) and FWD it's a fantastic car.
We did a driveby and a cursory look at those too.

They thought it was larger than they wanted (compared to a Fit I suspect it is) and not as good visibility. The saleslady at Mazda was weird and touchy which was a turn off. If I was in the market though, I'd definitely want to take one out. A buddy of mine just bought one a couple months ago and loves it, although his got sideswiped in a hit & run in front of his house the day he bought it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
16 kids last night. I hand out full bags of chips and crush soda. 2 per kid.

They were battling frozen rain though. I have a pretty long driveway so I want to try doing some sort of Halloween gimmick next year.

Problem is I want it to be scary. Like domestic abuse room, fetus collection in jars room, verbal assault behind locked prison door room etc. GP has a lot of fundy's around and I'd probably get protests.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 229 days!)

jonathan posted:

They were battling frozen rain though. I have a pretty long driveway so I want to try doing some sort of Halloween gimmick next year.

I bought a ton of the fake bloody hands and I drilled holes into them and stuck a flickering LED tea light inside. I place mine around the driveway, pointing towards the door. They're always enjoyed, and don't cost too much.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

No, you need legit scary things like student loans and positive pregnancy tests and oil pressure lights.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 229 days!)

Powershift posted:

No, you need legit scary things like student loans and positive pregnancy tests and oil pressure lights.

Bitch, I own SAABs. :boom:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

^^ Congrats man. Hopefully you didn't lose your shirt on the Lincoln?

Nah, we did pretty well with it. Sold it for $23k. Bought it over a year ago for $24.5k. I'm pretty satisfied.

Now the seed has been planted in the wife (no, not ~that~ seed) and I begin my countdown until Sports Car Time comes up.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Now the seed has been planted in the wife (no, not ~that~ seed) and I begin my countdown until Sports Car Time comes up.

Remember your promise to the Pemberton towing company. :colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DrakeriderCa posted:

So what vintage of Porsche 924 are you getting?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I can get you a FD RX-7 for cheap....(just saying).

Edit: You should test drive the wife's RX-8, they're dirty cheap right now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Buy a nice bike man

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Buy a nice bike man

This is a good idea, buy this before I do: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/st-albert/2007-aprilia-sxv550/1196828471?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

I can get you a FD RX-7 for cheap....(just saying).

How cheap.
What condition.
Would my rear end fit in it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

:ohdear:

It would appear Slung Blade has the disease too now, it's spreading.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I sat in an FD once, and my legs were above the steering wheel.

If i had one, i would probably have to remove the seat and sit on the floor.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

^^gently caress. You're not that much taller than I am, that doesn't fill me with hope.

1500quidporsche posted:

:ohdear:

It would appear Slung Blade has the disease too now, it's spreading.

What can I say man, FDs are sexy, sexy cars.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

How cheap.
What condition.
Would my rear end fit in it.

I know of two series six JDM FD's that I could buy for under $5k since they're not running. Toss under $1000 of parts into them and flip for about $8-10k.

Condition would be auction grade 3.5, chassis all have 100k+ km on them and the plastics would be getting a little brittle now. Both are original paint though so could be brought back to life pretty easily. For some odd reason, the Japanese love laquer resprays ( I'm told it's because due to the population density in the cities/entire country door dings and scratches are so common and a way of life that they just respray them cheaply all the time).

One of them is a non-sunroof model, so you would fit after some low rise seat rails ($150) and a deep dish wheel.

Edit: To expand on the non-running part. The FD's from Japan all need new engine wiring harnesses and vac lines. Rywire makes a direct replacement harness and a full vac line kit is under $200. I have done half a dozen of these now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

What can I say man, FDs are sexy, sexy cars.

Don't do this

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

Remember your promise to the Pemberton towing company. :colbert:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha :barf:

slidebite posted:

Buy a nice bike man

Eh, I gave bikes a try and I don't trust my fellow drivers enough. Plus the future fun vehicle will be bought with joint account money, so I think the wife will want some seat time in it. And she really doesn't like bikes.

Don't listen to this guy

Definitely do this

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well, poo poo.

I can't trust my left hand enough to drive a stick, it's too independent minded.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Well, poo poo.

I can't trust my left hand enough to drive a stick, it's too independent minded.

Yeah, LHD FD's start at 10k in Canada and that's for total basket cases.

Edit: I can get DoritoPower to post a summary of his $11k LHD CDN FD (it's now a $20k FD after fixing everything).

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 2, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Eh, I gave bikes a try and I don't trust my fellow drivers enough. Plus the future fun vehicle will be bought with joint account money, so I think the wife will want some seat time in it. And she really doesn't like bikes.
I'll put a bug in her ear that you only want a 70s something British convertible and you'll only deny it because you're embarrassed.

Enjoy!

:buddy:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1980-triumph-tr7-convertible/1181270081

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I really appreciate the depth of misdirection when he says "leak".

what leaks?. You ask.

yes he replies.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

:stare:
I know it's not fantastically rare or snowflake-special or anything, but at that price for that car I'd be on the phone right now if I was in AB.

What I'm saying is: You know you want it. Buy it!

Ignore the leak. Leaks are normal. Doesn't matter what's leaking. Just buy it.

EDIT: And get winter tires for it, and a long scarf, and drive it all winter long with the top down.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/edmonton-driver-gets-seven-days-in-jail-for-travelling-122-kmh-in-school-zone-212237426.html
Stupid gently caress

quote:

An Edmonton driver with a need for speed got an important lesson in patience after being caught travelling through a school zone at over four times the legal speed limit.

Brodie Rae Christensen, 26, was sentenced to a week of jail time in relation to charges stemming from an incident that occurred in October 2015. As The Edmonton Sun reports, Edmonton police were busy monitoring a 30 km/h school zone when they clocked Christensen driving through the area at 122 km/h in the early afternoon.

Christensen’s defence lawyer reportedly told the court that his client had been picking up groceries for his grandmother at the time and was unaware he was in a school zone. He said Christensen, after becoming frustrated at the slowing moving traffic, impulsively decided to hit the gas and swerved into the oncoming traffic lane to pass the car ahead of him.

In addition to the seven-day jail sentence, Christensen’s license will also be suspended for one year after the judge ruled that his driving caused “a significant risk” to others.

Christensen’s lawyer told the court that his client acknowledges his “horrible” and “out of character” mistake, and he will work on managing his anger while behind the wheel.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
For once, there WAS a cop around when needed. 120 in the oncoming lane through a school zone at mid-day, and he was caught.

People are going to complain about the punishment - a week in jail plus a suspended driver's license for one year - but I'm OK with it.

EDIT: I wonder if he's related to that Edmonton woman on the current season of Canada's Worst Driver who was called "A horrible person" by the host in the first episode?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Euthanize, redistribute assets.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Haha, if that's the one I'm thinking of, I drive past it on my way to the store regularly. If it is, it's in pretty good shape and at a nice house with some other enthusiast-y cars (WRX STI, etc).

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

I'll put a bug in her ear that you only want a 70s something British convertible and you'll only deny it because you're embarrassed.

Enjoy!

:buddy:

I'm not going to lie, there's a SBC-swapped MGB GT on Hemmings that I'd buy in a minute if i had $20k to blow on stupid poo poo

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm not going to lie, there's a SBC-swapped MGB GT on Hemmings that I'd buy in a minute if i had $20k to blow on stupid poo poo

The following is not stupid poo poo, especially since RX8's are $1500 with dead engines and JDM 13B-REW's are $1500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CX-13B-Engi...=item2100eaac15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy poo poo, I wish I didn't already have so many projects.