Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The awkward moment when you're not sure when to put up your dash Christmas tree.

Wait a loving second, you got to keep yours?

I had one in (premium) beta but didn't get to keep it.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
FDev's constant desire to cater to fans who have already been tapped out as far as sales (can't sell another expansion to a lifetime-alpha-kickstarter-backer) instead of trying to make the new player experience any kind of fun is baffling.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Timed my Precious Gems run.

21 minutes, 13 seconds, 4.1 million credits for a 68 Precious Gems haul.

Can't wait to get my Type 7. Currently thinking of this layout to exploit Precious Gems a bit more and make my money back:

If my math checks out that loadout will get me 12 million / run, assuming I don't find a better black market to sell at. :eng101:

e: actually i'll even be able to do this run faster with the increased jump range, neat

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The awkward moment when you're not sure when to put up your dash Christmas tree.

:justpost:

I bought Christmas beer last weekend, there are no Christmas rules.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
What's also baffling is the drastic changes that FDev seems to make instead of tweaking something, re-evaluating and then tweaking again.

Boogalo posted:

Whenever someone falls back on immersion when money is concerned they should be required to post a screenshot of their wallet and asset values.

:agreed: 100-200 hours of play should put someone in at least one of the three end game ships if they desire.

I also don't get the whole "immersion" thing on video games anyway. Maybe when full VR happens, but sitting at a desk looking at a monitor is never very immersive, at least in my opinion. I've always like the Scout Troopers on their speeder bikes from Star Wars and I'll always feel more like on a speeder bike when I'm on my motorcycle aggressively taking some twisty road than playing a video game with some character on a speeder bike. Or my wife does Revolutionary War re-enacting. Once a year her group takes over an old rev war tavern that's now a museum and turns it into an actual tavern. Everyone is in costume, the lighting and food is all period correct and it really feels like you're stepping back in time. That's immersive.

Friction posted:

Also these guys make some creepy noises. That distortion can't be healthy either.

What are those guys?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

marumaru
May 20, 2013

A bit of loadout fiddling and I've increased my profits a bit:

:getin:

And god drat, these guys really like my business huh?

Dropping millions worth of gems for a lower-than-average price tends to make people happy

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Snaxx posted:

Whenever someone posts that what amounts to a database entry must be paid a livable wage, so it may feed it's family, they should be required to post a picture of their birth certificate, to prove they are not an android.

:allears: I love this sentence and will steal it for myself if I post on the official forums again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

FDev's constant desire to cater to fans who have already been tapped out as far as sales (can't sell another expansion to a lifetime-alpha-kickstarter-backer) instead of trying to make the new player experience any kind of fun is baffling.

Don't worry, that's not that unusual, it took CCP nearly 13 years until they finally caved and started trying to make EVE Online fun for newer players. Since Frontier isn't on a vulcanic island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, I optimistically assume they can have this revelation in about half the time. So uh, expect Frontier to make sensible decisions around Spring 2023? I think that's about right with this time scale?

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Is the Precious Gem Farming the same as previous? or has something changed?

edit: also, is there any way to see where a stored module is located?

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 1, 2016

marumaru
May 20, 2013

we type 7 now boi

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Inacio posted:

we type 7 now boi

brick.jpg

I never fully enjoyed flying a Type 6. I felt kinda naked with the types of loadouts it supports. I think I ultimately just prefer multi-purpose type ships where I can fly around peacefully if I want, or I can kick a moderate amount of rear end if I want.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I hate the cargovette. My cargo cutter is so much better :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah Type-7 is pretty bricky, but it's no Type-9 (oh my god :() at least.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Tried to play the other day, and took a few pirate-assassination missions that had nice 1-3 million credit payouts, plus a few more with lower payouts. Went to one of the target systems, and flew around exploring it for 30 minutes, with the expectation that I'd get interdicted like normal during the process. I only got interdicted once, and it was the wrong faction. So i spent another half an hour checking out signal sources, and did find several pirates, but once again, none of them were from the correct faction, so my pirate kill count stays at zero. Then i go to the nav beacon and kill a dozen more pirates ( i just assumed that the "mission target" text is still bugged so that it's nearly invisible...is it?), and yet again, not a single one of them is from the correct faction. So i say gently caress it and go to one of the other systems to try that pirate-slaying mission, instead. Same deal, not a single pirate from the correct faction. So i quit, and now all the missions are failed. Maybe I just got unlucky. Or Is it now only possible to find the correct pirates by searching contacts in supercruise and then interdicting them yourself? Or is it bugged in some other way?

On a side note, didn't pirate-assassination missions completely (or mostly) disappear after horizons launched? I'm glad they're back at least.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 1, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You'll never convince the brown sea that the new user experience is anything but excellent and if anything getting ships/ranks should be made harder. They will demand all future content be tuned around their maxed out engineer upgraded exploracombatcondas.

The only reason Elite still has a decent player base is simply that there are no viable alternatives in the market at this time otherwise it would bleed out.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DancingShade posted:

You'll never convince the brown sea that the new user experience is anything but excellent and if anything getting ships/ranks should be made harder. They will demand all future content be tuned around their maxed out engineer upgraded exploracombatcondas.

The only reason Elite still has a decent player base is simply that there are no viable alternatives in the market at this time otherwise it would bleed out.

This is true. We're kind of starved for open-universe spaceship sims. I think what I'm most bummed about is that we'll never get an Elite-like that's Star Wars flavored, because Disney knows the easy money is in mobile games and licensing to the Lego people.

Being able to fly various Star Wars ships, get up and walk around inside them, and zip around that universe with like landable planets would be like the most ideal possible spaceships game for me.

Elite might get really close to that if we ever get to land on atmosphered, life-bearing worlds, but it won't really be the same.

It's me, the goon with impossible video game dreams.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I bought a Keelback and have been running passenger missions and it's real fun, especially with a fighter bay for taking down the occasional bounty.

I wish my Python could have a fighter bay. :(

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eyud posted:

I bought a Keelback and have been running passenger missions and it's real fun, especially with a fighter bay for taking down the occasional bounty.

I wish my Python could have a fighter bay. :(

If the focus of Elite was "fun" then you'd be able to slap a hanger bay into any ship with the internal space and then just poo poo them out the SRV doors.

But it's not so you can't.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

brick.jpg

I never fully enjoyed flying a Type 6. I felt kinda naked with the types of loadouts it supports. I think I ultimately just prefer multi-purpose type ships where I can fly around peacefully if I want, or I can kick a moderate amount of rear end if I want.

My Type 6 served me well. It was definitely an upgrade over my Viper MKIV (that I got for free). 100t cargo with 22ly* jumps wasn't too bad either.

I'm excited to grind some more money with this thing until I have enough to upgrade again. Just not sure what I'm going to upgrade to. Going trader again will probably get old.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Inacio posted:

My Type 6 served me well. It was definitely an upgrade over my Viper MKIV (that I got for free). 100t cargo with 22ly* jumps wasn't too bad either.

I'm excited to grind some more money with this thing until I have enough to upgrade again. Just not sure what I'm going to upgrade to. Going trader again will probably get old.

Combat is probably the most lucrative thing that resembles and actual video game- you can pull in a lot of money doing REZ bounties or taking high-reputation pirate hunting missions.

Mining has pretty high profit margins, too, but there's a reason why they call it "netflix and drill".

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

DancingShade posted:

If the focus of Elite was "fun" then you'd be able to slap a hanger bay into any ship with the internal space and then just poo poo them out the SRV doors.

Sorry, I don't subscribe to this "Frontier hates fun" idea that goons are obsessed with. I find the game loads of fun as is.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eyud posted:

Sorry, I don't subscribe to this "Frontier hates fun" idea that goons are obsessed with. I find the game loads of fun as is.

How accurately did I describe you when I was referring to the Faithful in their maxed out engineer upgraded exploracombatcondas?

If it's a python that still counts.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Eyud posted:

The game is fun (if you like space and/or shooting things in space, and sandbox games without a storyline to follow), but at the same time frontier seems to make a lot of design and balancing decisions that many people consider to negatively affect funness. Of course there are plenty of other people who think everything is perfect, or needs to be even less fun (from the point of view of those who are already displeased), and Frontier seems to mostly listen to them when looking for feedback. Then throw a bunch of weird bugs on top of that, that sometimes take forever to get fixed, or which mysteriously reappear after future updates, and it makes sense why people like to claim (mostly tongue-in-cheek, for the record) that frontier hates fun. I don't think they actually hate fun (they wouldn't be in the business of making video games in that case), but I think there's someone in charge of the devs who just isn't that great at certain aspects of game design, and thinks that stuff like little RNG spinny wheels and endless grinding is great.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Comparing the game now to the game as released there's a poo poo-ton more to it now than there was and it feels like development goes generally in the right direction. I can totally understand having a bit of a snark about individual decisions though.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

DancingShade posted:

How accurately did I describe you when I was referring to the Faithful in their maxed out engineer upgraded exploracombatcondas?

If it's a python that still counts.

No idea, I generally skip over all the posts complaining about the game. I don't have any engineer upgrades if that answers your question.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Eyud posted:

You don't stop the circle jerk friendo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eyud posted:

No idea, I generally skip over all the posts complaining about the game. I don't have any engineer upgrades if that answers your question.

Hint: it was on this same page.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Gort posted:

Comparing the game now to the game as released there's a poo poo-ton more to it now than there was and it feels like development goes generally in the right direction. I can totally understand having a bit of a snark about individual decisions though.

Agreed. For me personally though, I guess i've just burned out slightly after almost two years of playing, so my patience with bugs and frequent design decisions that i don't agree with, is lower than it used to be. I keep thinking "drat elite's cool and fun i wanna play more", and then i get bored or frustrated with a bug, and stop after an hour, instead of playing for several hours like I used to. Maybe I should give it a break until the next update comes out, but experience tells me there's a good chance there will be even more annoying bugs and weird gameplay decisions when that happens. Then again, I probably won't give much of a poo poo about that stuff once we finally get atmospheric landings and space legs :getin:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

DancingShade posted:

I want to buy a Type 9, fill the entire cargo space with missile racks, and poo poo thousands of seekers out the cargo hatch.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gort posted:

More to do, but much less to earn. I went Sidey->Eagle->Cobra in my first two hours...I doubt you could manage to scrounge up the half-million to have fun with a Cobra in the same amount of time post-2.2: those 10k courier missions just aren't the same as the 300k smuggling missions that friendly factions would drop a year+ ago.

LostCosmonaut posted:

I want to buy a Type 9, fill the entire cargo space with missile racks, and poo poo thousands of seekers out the cargo hatch.

That actually sounds really fun!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

So, my getting into this station by turning assist off, shutting down everything and going into silent running was a feat, right? I mean, it looks like it's with the Empire, so they'd scan me and poo poo?

I was looking for a safe station to sell my gems at but I wasn't sure whether this one was safe or not. (the other station with a black market and a large pad was offering 8k for gems, hell no)

Any tips on finding safe stations? (with a black market and large pads)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

More to do, but much less to earn. I went Sidey->Eagle->Cobra in my first two hours...I doubt you could manage to scrounge up the half-million to have fun with a Cobra in the same amount of time post-2.2: those 10k courier missions just aren't the same as the 300k smuggling missions that friendly factions would drop a year+ ago.

When I started (right after the game was released), missions didn't pay anything near 10k, and I spent over a month in an Eagle because I couldn't afford much else. The game is insanely better for newbies now.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Best part of sandbox games is that you can make your own fun. Recently I was hauling passengers and got some fireflyish moments when I accidentally shot a pursuier without a bounty before he opened fire, got a bounty myself and then had to make a smuggling run to the station that issued the bounty, then find a station selling sidewinders to clear it. All of that because protesters I was carrying changed their destination right to the station where I'd be shot on sight because of that bounty AFTER the incident. They also left a mess in my cheapo economy cabins.. gently caress protesters.

Fun times if it's not just isk/hour, uhm sorry credits/hour.

I understand people who are jaded by now and I dislike lots of FDev decisions myself (like passengers declaring a new destination ughh). Yet I'm having fun myself without also having an engineered exploracombatconda because seriously, this game is fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Eh, every time they close down one exploit people find another.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

What's the hotness for gaining Fed/Empire rep these days? I'm slowly working my way up to allied with passengers and data deliveries but I'm curious what other people do.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Last patch Shu Babassi had a lot of data delivery missions to one ground station 11ly away from 4 different Empire affiliated factions.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Inacio posted:

So, my getting into this station by turning assist off, shutting down everything and going into silent running was a feat, right? I mean, it looks like it's with the Empire, so they'd scan me and poo poo?

Ooooooooorrrrrrrr you could just get scanned and then not pay the fine ;)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
My son's enjoying a bit of trading and looking at upgrading from a cobra to a type 6 or 7, is it still viable to trade in those with the new "hunter" NPCs? Can you just submit to interdiction, drop a ton of cargo and run off laughing while they're scooping it up?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

3 posted:

Ooooooooorrrrrrrr you could just get scanned and then not pay the fine ;)

ooooooor i could find a station closer to maika that pays better and doesn't scan :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gort posted:

Eh, every time they close down one exploit people find another.

I'm not talking about the SothisNerf, because fuckyougotmine, but just the mission payouts in general. FDev seem to be talking like its a bug now, but the across the board cuts to mission rewards would, in my mind, make the starting-experience much more grindy and pointless.

Less "oh wow I'm flying a ~spaceship~ OH NEAT I'm flying a better one" and more "so i average 15k per mission and need ~500k for a Cobra so I need to do ~35 missions (if I don't get blown up) and each mission takes ~15-30 minutes and...eh gently caress it. :pwn: "

• Locked thread