Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mustard_tiger posted:

I don't see a high vis jacket anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I like how the condom brand name is the Spanish word for romantic love. Like how many times in your life have you had condom sex with someone you loved and it was romantic?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

blarzgh posted:

Unrelated: Weather.com, strangely enough, has the highest quality click-bait on the internet.

I've always found it to be craptastic to the point of blocking out the actual weather info.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Olothreutes posted:

Holy poo poo that has to suck.

lol because it's a paper company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn3yhB49RSM

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I like how the condom brand name is the Spanish word for romantic love. Like how many times in your life have you had condom sex with someone you loved and it was romantic?
Love: raw and unsheathed. It only comes in one form: bareback.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Twice, your mother is a wonderful woman

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

I guess I grew up in the "OH GOD AIDS AND STIS WILL KILL US ALL, CONDOMS FOREVER" era

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Also be sure to use a dental dam, It doesn't just stop at the condom - you don't want throat cancer either.

Really, bare skin to skin contact should be banned imo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/01/a-japanese-woman-passed-gas-during-laser-surgery-she-was-badly-burned/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

People light their farts on fire all the time without lighting their clothes on fire. What the hell were those surgical drapes made of?

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
More farts. It's farts all the way down.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Facebook Aunt posted:

People light their farts on fire all the time without lighting their clothes on fire. What the hell were those surgical drapes made of?

Cloth, soaked in alcohol, or other flammable agents.

Fires during surgery are actually somewhat common. So much so, and the occurrences were growing so rapidly, that various medical associations in several western nations were putting out bulletins about how to prevent fires during surgery. Alcohol has always been present during surgeries, but the massive increase of lasers and cauteries for surgeries has led to their always being a potential ignition source near the patient.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Alcohol has always been present during surgeries, but the massive increase of lasers and cauteries for surgeries has led to their always being a potential ignition source near the patient.

There's also usually a much higher than normal O2 content. In theory, the patient's breathing system should be all nice and sealed coming from the anesthesia machine's vent, to their lungs, and back again...but there's always leakage.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

All the times I didn't want to get pregnant and still have sex with my boyfriend? :shrug: I mean c'mon.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks for the hot take, Austin Powers.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cloth, soaked in alcohol, or other flammable agents

ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?!

http://youtu.be/mOD3wzXYJ50

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's also usually a much higher than normal O2 content. In theory, the patient's breathing system should be all nice and sealed coming from the anesthesia machine's vent, to their lungs, and back again...but there's always leakage.
Even more of a problem when they used to use stuff like cyclopropane as a general anaesthetic. Apparently great care had to be taken with electrical equipment, diathermy machines, etc., to prevent sparks in the operating theatre, as cyclopropane is quite explosive in air.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Also, xposting from the schwudenfreude thread where I got the article

TotalLossBrain posted:

I really want to make sure no one glosses over this:

quote:

On a more serious note, a gassy gut can be fatal, as it was for a patient having a colonic polyp cauterized. An electric spark caused the patient’s bowels to detonate, blasting out the colonoscopy and ripping a six-inch hole in the patient’s large intestine.

Death metal band/song name: Bowel Detonation

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 2, 2016

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

"Two thumbs up to the makers of rubbing alcohol. Fire is baaaaad, kids don't play with matches!"

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/glorphindale/status/793464972638621696

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It defeats earthing and polarity, but it’s better than cutting the prong off or using a fork. :shobon:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Don't weld wheels with tires attached.

Alternative title: Why does it burn on the way out too?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They were actually doing the redneck method of seating a tire on a rim. Squirt some flammable aerosol into the cavity between the two, and then light it. The blast seats the tire on the rim.

Of course, you're generally going for a little firework blast, not a cannon shot.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

GPF posted:

When I was in the Army, I worked on the Apache AH-64A attack helicopter. My specialty was wiring, but I also was in charge of the Ground Power Unit, a jet engine in a box that generated power, air flow, and hydraulic pressure for an Apache on the ground. The pressure was over 1000psi in the system that ran all the hydraulic stuff, including moving the gun around.

There were a few times that I swung cloth in front of me to see if there was a hydraulic leak. Never found a high pressure one, though.

I may have mentioned it before, but I once lost a hydraulic control line on our Ford 8600 back when I was a kid on the farm. It started spraying but I couldn't find where it was spraying from. Like an idiot, I reached my hand behind the left set of duals, with the tractor running, to feel for it. My grandpa, who was working with me, grabbed me by the shoulder and threw me back before I could cut my fingers off.

Like a fool, I'd left the control lever up and it was at full pressure. I have fingers on both hands thanks to him.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

GPF posted:

When I was in the Army, I worked on the Apache AH-64A attack helicopter. My specialty was wiring, but I also was in charge of the Ground Power Unit, a jet engine in a box that generated power, air flow, and hydraulic pressure for an Apache on the ground. The pressure was over 1000psi in the system that ran all the hydraulic stuff, including moving the gun around.

There were a few times that I swung cloth in front of me to see if there was a hydraulic leak. Never found a high pressure one, though.

After working for some time in the industrial sector where a bunch of stuff is automated with hydraulics and compressed air, I'm amazed that even the people who are supposedly trained in the dangers of it aren't more terrified of hydraulic and pneumatic systems.

poo poo will gently caress you up hardcore if not treated with respect.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

That's why I like to use Trojan brand condoms. It's accurately named because when I deep dick a lass dozens of tiny soldiers stealthily creep past her defenses.

Crabs, they're crabs.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Thanks for the hot take, Austin Powers.

When and why the gently caress is everyone saying HOT TAKES all the goddamn time, it's worse the CLUTCHING PEARLS.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Highest oil pressure I've worked around is about 600PSI for "lift oil".

Some motors and generators pump high pressure oil into the bearings that the shaft floats on. It makes it much easier to start and easier to bar over for inspections.

(Also remember to keep your large drivetrains on a turning gear! Warping a rotor is a bitch to repair!)

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Rough Lobster posted:

When and why the gently caress is everyone saying HOT TAKES all the goddamn time, it's worse the CLUTCHING PEARLS.

QUOZ

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
When I had a job at a machine shop I used a big compressed air wand to clean diesel and grease off my forearms whenever I cleaned oil rig parts in a big tub.

Boss moved me to welding in notched machine parts after a stern talking to about the wonderful world of degloving.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
After greater than 1 year of working at the noisy job I finally got a pair of acoustic filters at the local guitar store. I really hate earbuds so they're gonna take some getting used to. Still better than earplugs. I took an air gun and spent my entire shift trying to find something to make whistle. The machine has been making this awful noise during operation but now it only makes my teeth rattle not my whole skull.

E: can the air guns shoot my flesh glove off my skeleton meat hand? I use them often to blow chips off my hands

Sponge Baathist fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 2, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Have you done this with it yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFrfBO-0cZE

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sponge Baathist posted:

E: can the air guns shoot my flesh glove off my skeleton meat hand? I use them often to blow chips off my hands

I know of a guy who blew his hand up like a balloon spraying into a cut lol. I do it, but I know my air wand is at a really low psi and I do it as far away from my hands as I can while still having enough force to blow the chips off. You also have to avoid prolonged contact. Compressed air is full of nasty poo poo and if you are an idiot like the guy at my last shop who used to spray it into his pocket in between cycles to keep his balls cool, you're going to end up with some sort of fungal or bacterial infection like he did. If you're in machining we get this awesome catch 22 where blowing chips off your hands is a risk, but so is wiping your hands with a rag, as they collect coolant and can get gross and cause dermatitis really quickly. Not to mention they collect chips and you can cut yourself.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Oily rags can hold a surprising amount of sharp metal chippings.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo I'll report back tomorrow with any results. Now i got something to do in downtime tomorrow.

Yeah I'm in machining I just wash my hands all the time but for chips you gotta use air cause sometimes you have to wait a few days for steel chips to start rusting before you can see where to pick at to get them out. Talk about a catch-22 there, live with a splinter til it rusts or dig around in your skin until you find it risking driving it in deeper.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I have no idea about your job so i gotta ask: Why not wear big gloves all the time?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I would assume because of the fast spinny bits. Still though, those thin latex mechanic gloves would work without ripping your hands off if caught.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mithaldu posted:

I have no idea about your job so i gotta ask: Why not wear big gloves all the time?

First thought, he may be working a lathe a bunch so that should be self explanatory in this thread.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

JoelJoel posted:

I would assume because of the fast spinny bits. Still though, those thin latex mechanic gloves would work without ripping your hands off if caught.

I wouldn't chance it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpUbVgVsbyQ

Don;t forget your ears.

It's surprisingly easy to gently caress them up and there's very little that can be done to unfuck them