Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So playing Builders has gotten my nostalgia going pretty hard. What would be considered the ideal Dragon Quest if I just wanted to play one of them? Only one I ever put serious time into was Dragon Warrior 3 on the GBC which I absolutely loved back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

tweet my meat posted:

So playing Builders has gotten my nostalgia going pretty hard. What would be considered the ideal Dragon Quest if I just wanted to play one of them? Only one I ever put serious time into was Dragon Warrior 3 on the GBC which I absolutely loved back in the day.

I haven't played all of the main series or the DS versions of IV and V, but you can't go wrong with III-V. If you want to replay III, find yourself the SNES version; its presentation is gorgeous for a 16-bit era game, which is amazing considering how low-tech the series was from I-V. I remember loving VIII back in the day, too, but you'll probably want to play the PS2 version if you want the ideal experience with that one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tweet my meat posted:

i played V this year and its really really good, not too long, and the monster collection aspect gives a lot of depth without the complication of some of the later games' systems. the DS port looks great too.

the story is a really cool epic of this family over 3 generations. it was a good game to get back into the series with for me having only played them way back when they came out.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Can't go wrong with either V or VIII. I finished the last island of VII but just got tired of it and haven't picked it up since.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 1, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
If you do play V, get the DS port, because they added a "joke" waifu that is secretly the best waifu.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I made a Bashmobile course in Builders, if you'd like something other than dirt huts and huge cubes in your share zones.

VcdBDSJDE
Start at the checkers and go towards the Idols. It's a little tricky to do a lap without crashing, but it's doable!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

rhoga posted:

I made a Bashmobile course in Builders, if you'd like something other than dirt huts and huge cubes in your share zones.

VcdBDSJDE
Start at the checkers and go towards the Idols. It's a little tricky to do a lap without crashing, but it's doable!

This is amazing

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

tweet my meat posted:

Generally I see people saying V is the best. And yeah that is quite possibly true. If VIII had an actual HD release somewhere I'd say that might edge it out via presentation. But V has a story line far better and more "personal" than most JRPGs and plays solid.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What's with the yoy-yoy-yoying in Alena's chapter? Is that a russian thing?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FanaticalMilk posted:

That doesn't give me a whole lot of hope for the 3DS version. I don't know much about phone specs, but I would imagine the 7+ is probably beefier than what's in the New 3DS.

DQ8 runs poorly because it's running in Unity for some reason and Unity always has issues even when it seems like it shouldn't.

The 3DS is a more direct port and while it has unavoidable visual downgrades it's otherwise the definitive version.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Even though the intro to dq7 still took over an hour real time, it was way better than the ps1 version. The old tablet dungeon was such a pain in the rear end to get in and out of a zillion times.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

DQ8 runs poorly because it's running in Unity for some reason and Unity always has issues even when it seems like it shouldn't.

The 3DS is a more direct port and while it has unavoidable visual downgrades it's otherwise the definitive version.

Are they adding anything to the 3ds version? 'Cause otherwise I think I would rather play the emulated PS2 version in HD, it being the one game in the series that doesn't have its best version on a handheld.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hakkesshu posted:

Are they adding anything to the 3ds version? 'Cause otherwise I think I would rather play the emulated PS2 version in HD, it being the one game in the series that doesn't have its best version on a handheld.

Two new playable characters (Morrie and Red, which isn't much of a spoiler given they were in preview videos, but some people prefer not to know). Not sure what else.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Prism posted:

Two new playable characters (Morrie and Red, which isn't much of a spoiler given they were in preview videos, but some people prefer not to know). Not sure what else.

Pretty sure there's a new ending too, although I don't know what it is or what you have to do to get it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also monsters on the field instead of random encounters like DQ7 3DS.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how do they handle the extra party members in 8? do the people not in the party get exp or do you have to grind up everyone the hard way?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eopia posted:

Pretty sure there's a new ending too, although I don't know what it is or what you have to do to get it.

The new ending has you marry Jessica at the end instead.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Fortitude posted:

huge if true

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Hahaha, that's so loving random. Did they ever even have a scene of them talking in the original?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
As much as people hype the PS2 version of VIII emulated in HD the actual experience--and this applies to all emulated games--is not as sharp as you see in screenshots. You're constantly going between what you see in good looking screenshots and then oh no some texture somewhere is glitching out, some effect was not at all emulated properly in hardware render so you need to swap to software if you want it but software sucks graphically, all cutscenes look like garbage, all menus look like garbage, in-battle messages look like garbage, etc. As for playing on an actual PS2 it's at least widescreen so it has that going for it, but unless you still have an SDTV it's not going to look so hot there either. Component cables don't help much either.

I still enjoy emulating it for crisp character models and buildings, which all look excellent and never glitch out, but the 3DS version is definitely going to be the definitive experience just for being clean and unified throughout.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Hyedum posted:

Hahaha, that's so loving random. Did they ever even have a scene of them talking in the original?

I never beat VIII but I do remember a scene after you free her from being possessed. I got spoiled on that new thing from looking up gameplay videos of the 3DS version so beware.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

fuckin sold

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

That sounds awful actually

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is optional, so who cares? but if they were gonna do one, they should have included options for the rest. yangus is mai waifu.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hyedum posted:

The 3DS version adds new scenes where you talk with her and if you pick the right options throughout the game , you get that ending instead.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Holy poo poo, I just learned how badly they butchered the music in non-Japanese DQVII :psyduck:
Why on earth did they use the MIDI versions?!

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Kikka posted:

Holy poo poo, I just learned how badly they butchered the music in non-Japanese DQVII :psyduck:
Why on earth did they use the MIDI versions?!

We don't know, but licensing issues are suspected. They didn't even just "use the MIDI versions", they made entirely new MIDI versions which was altogether more work than just using the orchestrated that was already there. When asked about that in an interview they dodged answering why they replaced it and instead just stuttered through saying "well, most people don't notice the difference in sound quality between modern MIDI and orchestrated and it's easy to make". I guess it's possible they thought the translated question was "how" rather than "why" given that can be the same phrase in japanese, but the nervousness felt telling.

DQVIII is also confirmed to not use the orchestrated tracks for the west, ironically, though I think it at least sounds better than the phone MIDI or the japanese PS2 MIDI.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Decus posted:

DQVIII is also confirmed to not use the orchestrated tracks for the west, ironically, though I think it at least sounds better than the phone MIDI or the japanese PS2 MIDI.

Fffffuck, has it really been confirmed? :negative: That's an huge disappointment for me, the orchestral music was such an awesome part of the experience.

How would it be a licensing issue though? I mean, don't they own the rights to their own music?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They don't. The original composer does and he's both a huge copyright fiend and a really fickle guy who doesn't really like other people arranging his music and doesn't seem to like using non-sequenced music in games to begin with, so if he decides he no longer likes a certain version of his music he can make it extremely difficult to use.

He's also a far-right war revisionist who publicly denies war atrocities commited by Japan in WW2 but that's fine because he's really old and will be dead before long.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

Fffffuck, has it really been confirmed? :negative: That's an huge disappointment for me, the orchestral music was such an awesome part of the experience.

How would it be a licensing issue though? I mean, don't they own the rights to their own music?

Because Japanese developers suck at future-proofing, so the rights to the music are probably owned by the recording studio or the orchestra itself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo gently caress the time loop island.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

They don't. The original composer does and he's both a huge copyright fiend and a really fickle guy who doesn't really like other people arranging his music and doesn't seem to like using non-sequenced music in games to begin with, so if he decides he no longer likes a certain version of his music he can make it extremely difficult to use.

He's also a far-right war revisionist who publicly denies war atrocities commited by Japan in WW2 but that's fine because he's really old and will be dead before long.

how come we never learn the artistic is actually a secret philanthropist

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:stare: God drat, didn't know that, thanks

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm not terribly surprised that people who work on Dragon Quest are extremely conservative

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Japanese people live to be 200 years old actually

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The 3DS version adds new scenes where you talk with her and if you pick the right options throughout the game , you get that ending instead.

Are they on a dialogue wheel too? If so, I'm naming the hero Shepard and picking the all the renegade options that let me punch Charmles in the face.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tired Moritz posted:

What's with the yoy-yoy-yoying in Alena's chapter? Is that a russian thing?

Alena is a California valleygirl raised in Russia.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
In my opinion it was a huge oversight to not add Trode as a party member to the remake, if only for the potential for oodles of doofy gag battle animations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress the time loop island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don't get it, what's so bad about it? Did you guys end up redoing everything like eight times or something?