Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

It's not that they're necessarily okay with it, they just don't think any of it is true. That's the post-facts thing so many people talk about. You can now curate your private media bubble to such an extent that you only consume narratives that reinforce what you already "know," while believing that it's everyone else who's just fooling themselves.

The pussy-tape thing hit hard because it was from Trump's mouth, about things Trump has already done, and Trump as usual did the bare minimum to deny or excuse it, so that self-curation briefly failed and the general public was, for one brief moment, forced to confront a Fact. But it's already faded and we're back to the status quo.

Yeah, the media bubble thing is absolutely a part of it, too. It's why people like my dad are all-in on Clinton body count bullshit, while other people believe that Trump's accusers have been fully discredited (when they haven't). Conspiracy theory echo chambers are only getting stronger and stronger.

smug n stuff posted:

I was referring to the most recent Weiner stuff. Is the whole, "the emails were neither to or from HRC" thing accurate, and if so, why are people caring?

The story's too muddy and those details get lost. They see "FBI reopening email investigation" and it triggers "oh poo poo, maybe there was wrongdoing!" absent further details. Beyond that, it's muddy, the details conflict, and people generally don't know what to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

WampaLord posted:

This is gonna be a long rear end week.

I look forward to everyone a week from now going "Hahaha, what the gently caress were we worried about?"

Boy howdy is next Tuesday gonna surprise you.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm not gonna get worked up about this for the same reason I didn't get too excited about the Clinton +12 poll that were came out post-third debate. Even good pollsters are gonna produce some outliers.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

smug n stuff posted:

I was referring to the most recent Weiner stuff. Is the whole, "the emails were neither to or from HRC" thing accurate, and if so, why are people caring?

There is no direct evidence either way. So let's just keep speculating so it stays in the news!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'll put the gun to my head with y'all when we dip below the line on PEC. Believe in the Wang.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Clever, but I will have the last laugh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Harrow posted:

They found a shitload of dirt, a truly campaign-ending barrage of it, and it just doesn't matter. As it turns out, most of the things a lot of us find horrifying about Trump, a huge amount of Americans just plain don't care about. And the things that did scare voters away, like the Access Hollywood video and Trump's poor debate performances, are so many news cycles ago that people predisposed to vote Republican can minimize them or easily rationalize them.

In other words, Trump really is Teflon. Although maybe it's more like there's such a huge build-up of grease on him that nothing else can really stick for long. If there's nothing shocking in recent memory, it all just sort of fades into a general sludge and stops mattering as much, especially when his opponent is Hillary Clinton, who is the devil and must be stopped, or something.

Let's take Kurt Echeinwald for example. He found this:
1. Trump's massive international business ties which would be next to impossible to sever if elected.
2. Trump violating the Cuban Embargo
3. Trump buying Chinese metals of questionable origin and legality
4. Deleting records, including emails, in violation of a court order.

To be fair, #1 isn't campaign ending, but casts shadows over it, and #4 toxic because of Clinton's emails (though :ironicat: does apply here). #3 should carry weight because of his constant promoting of US metals, and #2 would instantly sink any campaign.

Both him and David Fahrenthold have done some serious work this year, but both of it feels for naught.

E: And yes, I know Fahrenthold broke the Access Hollywood tape, but that's because someone at NBC got tired of the brass dragging their feet on it, so they sent it to someone who knew was going to release it pretty much immediately.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

There is no direct evidence either way. So let's just keep speculating so it stays in the news!

But we can't talk about Trump's Russian connection, that would be IRRESPONSIBLE.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

weekly font posted:

I'll put the gun to my head with y'all when we dip below the line on PEC. Believe in the Wang.
i'm gonna polish off the Nobitsura Kage

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Josef bugman posted:

How is it a missed opportunity if it seems like whenever there needs to be a real policy discussion we slide into "trump sniffs own farts" or "Well there is nothing wrong with what you are doing but we are going to make it sound like there is!"

Because what can you do when your countries media is so obsessed with horse racing?

You might have missed the huge slapfight in the opening pages of the thread, but mcmagic's deal is that democrats have hosed up by not nominating Sanders because Hillary is so widely hated by everyone.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

I'd ask you to toxx but don't you already have a permabanned account

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

smug n stuff posted:

Because it was phrased to give as much news cycle as possible where it was just FBI says relevant emails found so all the republican talking heads could breathlessly speculate about how this time it had to be the iceberg that would sink hillary.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Night10194 posted:

If Clinton somehow does lose due to loving Comey...

It will be Hillary's fault for not running a better campaign. They have underwhelmed on fundraising, GOTV, messaging, and in general have shown incredible complacency.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Night10194 posted:

If Clinton somehow does lose due to loving Comey...

She will have lost due to her own hubris and the stupidity of her party for nominating her. Not Comey.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
New poll in CA from SurveyUSA

Clinton is +21, down from +25 before email poo poo.

Pot legalization is +15 with Yes at 54% and only 7% undecided

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly, though I would not panic over the SurveyUSA poll. If others show anything like that, yes, but based on everything else released recently it looks amazingly out of place.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

ComradeCosmobot posted:

wait wait wait
so this story that's been at the top of CNN for like the past four days is literally "we have no idea if anything happened or didn't?"
Fun!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tricky D posted:

You might have missed the huge slapfight in the opening pages of the thread, but mcmagic's deal is that democrats have hosed up by not nominating Sanders because Hillary is so widely hated by everyone.

Ah, I did.

Personally I can, begrudgingly, understand that position. Even if it is not the one I currently hold. I would have preferred Sanders as Pres too (if y'know he'd gotten a better campaign manager) but the current option is going to be a good thing as well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

mcmagic posted:

She will have lost due to her own hubris and the stupidity of her party for nominating her. Not Comey.

Yes we know your opinion on the matter.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

iospace posted:

Let's take Kurt Echeinwald for example. He found this:
1. Trump's massive international business ties which would be next to impossible to sever if elected.
2. Trump violating the Cuban Embargo
3. Trump buying Chinese metals of questionable origin and legality
4. Deleting records, including emails, in violation of a court order.

To be fair, #1 isn't campaign ending, but casts shadows over it, and #4 toxic because of Clinton's emails (though :ironicat: does apply here). #3 should carry weight because of his constant promoting of US metals, and #2 would instantly sink any campaign.

Both him and David Fahrenthold have done some serious work this year, but both of it feels for naught.

I still can't believe Trump violating the Cuban embargo didn't end up being a much bigger deal than it has been. I'm thinking back to 2012 and the kind of impact it would have if it had come out that Bain Capital had illegally done business with Cuba in the 90's and that poo poo would have hung around Romney's neck for weeks. Instead, this year, it was forgotten because I think the very next day Trump's taxes leaked and that was considered a much juicer story (though if you ask me I think the Dems overplayed their hand on that one and it's not as bad as they made it out to be).

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

smug n stuff posted:

Because they were told to by the people on the teevee.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Northjayhawk posted:

New poll in CA from SurveyUSA

Clinton is +21, down from +25 before email poo poo.

Pot legalization is +15 with Yes at 54% and only 7% undecided

if it's above 50 then it doesn't matter how many undecideds there are.

Obviously, this isn't the final poll on it, that's in a week.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

You have been posting the same talking point in this thread for the last 6 months, it adds nothing to the discussion, please stop.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

smug n stuff posted:

wait wait wait
so this story that's been at the top of CNN for like the past four days is literally "we have no idea if anything happened or didn't?"
Fun!

Yeah, basically.

Comey's letter to Congress was frustratingly vague and boils down to, "We found some emails that might be relevant. We're looking into it. Just thought you should know!" Beyond that, all further details have come from reporting, various unnamed sources or legal experts, and it all gets extremely muddy. There's a ton of room to speculate and invent conclusions from whole cloth, and Comey sure as poo poo isn't going to clarify.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

smug n stuff posted:

wait wait wait
Fun!

Better yet, when Comey sent the letter the FBI didn't even have a warrant for the emails in question yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

wait wait wait
Fun!

Yes. That is the entire reason why this poo poo is backfiring on Comey. There is no justification whatsoever for it being news besides "gently caress Hillary Clinton" and even the Republicans have said "wow, uh, that's kinda poo poo."

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Northjayhawk posted:

It wasn't "restricted", congress can choose to expand the house any time they want. They have just chosen not to.

I mean why did they decide to suddenly not support expanding it.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
lol, the Log Cabin Republicans endorsed Trump.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. That is the entire reason why this poo poo is backfiring on Comey. There is no justification whatsoever for it being news besides "gently caress Hillary Clinton" and even the Republicans have said "wow, uh, that's kinda poo poo."

The problem is that came after 4 days of 'CLINTON EMAIL UNCOVERED INVESTIGATION REOPENED!'

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

smug n stuff posted:

wait wait wait
Fun!

Welcome to every Hillary scandal. Lots of smoke, no fire, then the media shifts the story to the Republican reaction because the actual scandal has no meat and it stays in the headlines regardless.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

And perhaps the "best" part about it is that Comey has, in the past, been unwilling to talk about investigations into Trump because he didn't want to seem political. But we need real-time updates on Clinton because ???

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

ImpAtom posted:

I like how last week people were like "oh the FBI stuff isn't important it's all gonna be gone by next week."

That sure would have been nice.

That tweet's days old, though?

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

spacetoaster posted:

Nah!

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Crowsbeak posted:

I mean why did they decide to suddenly not support expanding it.

Politics. They did the math and the ruling party found out that expanding would be bad for them. Same in 1940.

By 1950, everyone was used to 435 and the new normal was not expanding. Expansion today would seem like a radical new idea to a lot of people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, just two weeks ago, the media were all writing mea-culpas about how their irresponsible reporting enabled Trump.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

You know, just two weeks ago, the media were all writing mea-culpas about how their irresponsible reporting enabled Trump.

Yes but emails.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

But we can't talk about Trump's Russian connection, that would be IRRESPONSIBLE.

We can apparently talk about how Fred Trump was a successful businessman and a philanthropist though, and post a reminder that 15 years ago Clinton pardoned Marc Rich.

I mean, intelligence agencies are basically media outlets, right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

TyrantWD posted:

It will be Hillary's fault for not running a better campaign. They have underwhelmed on fundraising, GOTV, messaging, and in general have shown incredible complacency.

No they haven't?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Night10194 posted:

The media is broken as gently caress.The structures in place are such that the media cannot do the right thing even if it wants to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think they mostly want to team up with Putin because they think he's the bee's knees and a model for how a leader of a country should be colored

ftfy

• Locked thread