Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pierzak posted:

Lemme guess, the old one is that lovely softer plastic that makes all mold lines 3x as hard to remove?

The grey one has a one piece upper hull including top, sides, rear, front, and mudflaps, that glues down onto a small tub, which has one track attached on each side, and the final drive glued to the lower front. It all fits together perfectly, and the details are crisp.

The green one has a narrow tub underneath cast as one piece with the final drive that has a mould line through it, attached to a single piece on each side that is both the track, mudflaps, and the sides of the upper hull, and then the roof of the upper hull sits down on top of and between that, none of which actually meets up properly without significant modifications and rubber bands. Plus the details are mushy.

Speaking from experience, as like Frobbe I have just finished assembling the Open Fire tanks, and moved onto my first new kit, the different but broadly similar M4A3 (Late) kit that comes in the Tanks! box.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

xutech posted:

can anyone show me a picture of some of the matchbox cars in a suitable scale for bolt action? I had a look at the local toy stores but they seemed too small when I eyeballed them (ie willys jeep anniversary edition) - maybe I shouldn't worry so much about exact scale.

Not sure about matchbox, but I got some cool cheap diecast Marders from China in 1:48:

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/stalino-1941/dial-m-for-marder

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

Sorry, should have led with that; 28mm, 1/56 scale.

If it was 15mm I'd have you sorted, but 28mm is way tougher. Best I can suggest is to look for cheap die-cast stuff.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Lemme guess, the old one is that lovely softer plastic that makes all mold lines 3x as hard to remove?
They're just dogshit to put together too. I had to do some for a commission and almost threw them out of the window.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

lilljonas posted:

Not sure about matchbox, but I got some cool cheap diecast Marders from China in 1:48:

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/stalino-1941/dial-m-for-marder

cool thanks! I will look for them

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

xutech posted:

can anyone show me a picture of some of the matchbox cars in a suitable scale for bolt action? I had a look at the local toy stores but they seemed too small when I eyeballed them (ie willys jeep anniversary edition) - maybe I shouldn't worry so much about exact scale.

http://olidious.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/matchbox-jeep-conversion-for-bolt.html

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Brian is an Internet God for making that matchbox tutorial

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Finished my Pak 40 :toot:

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

thanks for the matchbox info!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I've now assembled 3 of the old open fire! shermans. in the time it's taken me to do one, i basically did all the new open fire tanks, both sides.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Frobbe posted:

I've now assembled 3 of the old open fire! shermans. in the time it's taken me to do one, i basically did all the new open fire tanks, both sides.

Ouch.My condolences. I have no idea what they are thinking.

Anyway, I've been doing some reading of this book, and I was wondering if anyone's done female minatures for the Boshin War. I know there's some great armoured female samurai/onna bugeisha mins (and some...not so great ones), but you can't really represent the Joshigun with any of those. Or my new personal hero (that I want for Sharpe Practice), Yaeko Yamamoto, running around with a Spencer Rifle like a total badass.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone in the U.S. had any experience ordering from Skytrex? Been over a month and still a no-show.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
We did a Sharp Practice battle report - check it out! https://youtu.be/bkHhwvnFxgk

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

We did a Sharp Practice battle report - check it out! https://youtu.be/bkHhwvnFxgk
Dammit, muggins, warn me next time you're going to MTS.

EDIT: and don't worry about the kid noises. My little ones like Paw Patrol too.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Ilor posted:

Dammit, muggins, warn me next time you're going to MTS.

EDIT: and don't worry about the kid noises. My little ones like Paw Patrol too.

Fuuuuxxxxxxx

I'll make a note for next time

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay so my Bolt Action box of Band of Brothers has arrived, as have a pair of springfield scoped rifles I ordered from a bits reseller on ebay.
This would be fine for 5MIN/5MAK, but looking through the Bolt Action rulebook, it looks as if the Airborne don't get sniper rifles?
And also the American Infantry (the box these rifles come from) don't get sniper rifles either?
Or do those options become available to those units in Bolt Action if I grab a copy of a suitable American Army rulebook for that particular faction/force?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What are acceptable colors for vikings? Assembling a 4pt team for SAGA. Mail armor makes it easy to paint, but I dunno about fabrics.

Would appreciate easy-to-paint shield ideas, too

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

JcDent posted:

What are acceptable colors for vikings? Assembling a 4pt team for SAGA. Mail armor makes it easy to paint, but I dunno about fabrics.

I went with a decent variety of earthy tones for my saga vikings. It came down to Google Image Searching pages from Osprey books and a bit of medieval dye research. But in the end I didn't want my fyrd to look like they were all wearing brown shirts and half covered in poop so they got some color that was likely beyond their social class. I can post pics if you'd like.

The Irish warband is going to be shades of green and brown. Or at least until I get sick of green and brown.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

mcjomar posted:

Okay so my Bolt Action box of Band of Brothers has arrived, as have a pair of springfield scoped rifles I ordered from a bits reseller on ebay.
This would be fine for 5MIN/5MAK, but looking through the Bolt Action rulebook, it looks as if the Airborne don't get sniper rifles?
And also the American Infantry (the box these rifles come from) don't get sniper rifles either?
Or do those options become available to those units in Bolt Action if I grab a copy of a suitable American Army rulebook for that particular faction/force?

I haven't seen the second edition book but unless they drastically changed it a sniper team is a separate two-man support option, not an equipment upgrade to a regular infantry squad. They're still in there, so go ahead and use the springfields.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Yooper posted:

I went with a decent variety of earthy tones for my saga vikings. It came down to Google Image Searching pages from Osprey books and a bit of medieval dye research. But in the end I didn't want my fyrd to look like they were all wearing brown shirts and half covered in poop so they got some color that was likely beyond their social class. I can post pics if you'd like.

The Irish warband is going to be shades of green and brown. Or at least until I get sick of green and brown.

You can be sick of green when you've painted up soviet tankovy for flames of war.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JcDent posted:

Brown, yellow/ochre, off-red and green were all easily available and cheap dyes. Vikings with more eastern or southern contact would have red, blue, purple and orange dye (well, more like maroon, plum, indigo and yellow brown), ones who had traded or been to Al-Andalus or North Africa would have access to basically every dye color in the Dark Ages. Scandinavians tended to lean more towards spartan colors and patterns, although the closer you get to Rus or the German border/trade zone all that kind of goes out the window. Depictions of Vikings from Dark Ages and medieval art is a bit suspect because back then there were colors associated with virtues, feelings and nationality/regality, so you'll see things like kings and lords depicted wearing reds, purples and blues, because those are the colors of royalty, although in real life they probably just wore whatever the gently caress colors they wanted. The Rus/Ukrainian/Varangian lines wore a lot more patterns and a lot more fancy clothing since they were tied to the trade routes coming out of India and the Muslim empires, giving them access to eastern dye and silks. They probably wore striped pants of some variety, we know that from the Iron Age right up until the start of the Dark Age this was a popular style in all the Celtic, Germanic and Norse nations and it's unlikely it just vanished overnight. The Viking Age was one of the first times in mainland Europe where individual expression could be conveyed through clothing choices since the fall of Rome. Fashion and style were very important to even the lowliest Viking man, it was necessary to bathe, groom, comb and style your beard, and choose clothing that conveyed your personality and allegiances in order to interact with adult/formal society. A lower class man would probably spend most of his money on his tunic, cape or overshirt since this was the most visible and prominent piece of his clothing. It would probably be dyed the brightest and most vibrant color available to him, while his tights, pants or trousers might be made of even un-dyed plain spun wool. His wife, female slave or daughter would then most likely sew in a trim if they had the materials available, since he probably wouldn't have enough money to pay a professional tailor to make him a fancy shirt. If he killed an enemy, rival or dirty Saxon in battle he may even steal some nice clothing from that guy and have his womenfolk use it to make his clothes more fancy. The tightness of pants was related to both class standing and general braggadocio. It was considered almost lewd to wear tight pants, and it was a sign of a ladies man, playboy or general sleazy dude (because it showed off your dick). In general the more baggy your pants, the more poor your are or the more people you kill for your job. Farmers and laborers needed baggy pants because they would have to stuff them with hay, wool, fabric or down in order to stay warm in the punishing Scandinavian weather. A rich man didn't have to do as much outside work so he could wear less warm pants (if a rich man wanted to be warm outside, he could wear his fancy fur lined cape!). This however goes out the window when you go Viking, since mobility is key in combat so wider and more free flowing pants with a wide crotch would have been advantageous. Viking dress also includes a lot of bindings, a rich mans bindings would be leather, hide or a very rich man might use fur. A poor man would use linen or plain cloth that would probably be stained a muddy brown color.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

JcDent posted:

http://www.artizandesigns.com/guides/FarnworthColoursVikings.pdf

This dude's guides are basically written by Jesus

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

mcjomar posted:

sniper teams are separate units, not attached to infantry

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Springfield Fatts posted:

Anyone in the U.S. had any experience ordering from Skytrex? Been over a month and still a no-show.

I'm in the UK, but have ordered from them several times before. A month to the US doesn't sound out of the ordinary tbh.

The guy is a classic crusty old grog who doesn't really 'get' the internet or 21st century customer service. Nice enough fellow and all, but your order will turn up when it turns up.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 2, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Thank you all for the viking stuff!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I just finished the assembly stage of my Tanks tanks, and I was disappointed to find out that the Pershing/Super Pershing kit just doesn't have enough parts to make both and magnetise. The Panther/JP kit and Shermans all do, but the Pershing kit comes with just the one turret bottom, and one gun mantlet.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm in the UK, but have ordered from them several times before. A month to the US doesn't sound out of the ordinary tbh.

The guy is a classic crusty old grog who doesn't really 'get' the internet or 21st century customer service. Nice enough fellow and all, but your order will turn up when it turns up.

Sounds like Eric Hotz from Hotzmats. Your order may turn up 6 months later and if it's wrong, though poo poo, he will just stop replying.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kommando posted:

Sounds like Eric Hotz from Hotzmats. Your order may turn up 6 months later and if it's wrong, though poo poo, he will just stop replying.

I love my space mat I got from him but it did take an age to show up.

Tanks! is hella good fun by the way. Even if in my own demo game my 75 point German build did a drat number on my 75 British. Of course getting hit by a Fire critical card and not making my repair roll for 3 or 4 turns didn't help much.

Bloody hell loader Graeme! If you are going to put the tea on make sure to put the fire OFF before we get into a fight with the Hun! :argh:

I actually got someone to buy a Tanks! starter, made a few more folks interested in it, and also might be getting WW2 FoW going. I may have helped make the oldest FLGS in the region (since 1977-78) into the GROG MINIS STORE.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Here's all mine so far, finished last night - the Panther in the starter had a faulty weapon that didn't extrude properly, had to build the middle of the barrel up from a spindle using liquid greenstuff and superglue, but it should hold now

All of the new ones were a dream to build, just mildly annoyed about the Pershing/Spershing not being magnet swappable.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I bought some sprues of assorted Wargames Factory stuff (Samurai/Ashigaru, and one of Saxons) for various projects, and let me be the first to say :suicide:.

The Samurai are some of the worst things to try and assemble I think I've ever encountered (save the first run Open Fire Shermans). There is no guide, anywhere, on how to assemble them other than looking at other people's assembled versions. The Ashigaru seem fine enough, although they suffer from not having labels. Ditto the Saxons, but fitting heads on those guy is a nightmare. drat them and their stupidly long necks! :argh:

I hope when Warlord repackages them they include instructions.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I had fun with Gripping Beast's Viking Hirdmen, especially when raised arms have this overhang that doesn't really fit on the torsos. But I persevered and build 25 of the fuckers. One of them might look like he has a mortally dislocated shoulder, but I think the result is kinda OK

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I bought some sprues of assorted Wargames Factory stuff (Samurai/Ashigaru, and one of Saxons) for various projects, and let me be the first to say :suicide:.

The Samurai are some of the worst things to try and assemble I think I've ever encountered (save the first run Open Fire Shermans). There is no guide, anywhere, on how to assemble them other than looking at other people's assembled versions. The Ashigaru seem fine enough, although they suffer from not having labels. Ditto the Saxons, but fitting heads on those guy is a nightmare. drat them and their stupidly long necks! :argh:

I hope when Warlord repackages them they include instructions.

The samurai box is among their first ones, and it shows. I've built and painted more of the ashigaru and mounted samurai boxes, which are better. But my samurai box is still mostly on sprue, five years later.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Samurai, it seems to me there's a rather large gap when it comes to Boshin War minis. Granted, there's only like, one company making them, but still.

I give you: the Joshigun and Yaeko Yamato.

Sadly I don't think there's anyone who might do appropriate miniatures. Which is a shame, because I'd love to have some.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

That art is amazing.

I put together a short summary of movement in SP for a buddy and the opined on it here

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

muggins posted:

That art is amazing.

I put together a short summary of movement in SP for a buddy and the opined on it here

Yeah, I got the Osprey book it's from on sale and it's pretty great (albeit there are some errors). Honestly, though, the art alone makes up for its shortcomings (and there's hardly any English language books on this sort of thing). I actually knew bout Takeko Nakano from something on Yesterday (kinda like a British History Channel, only I on't think they've done anything quite at Ancient Aliens yet) - Samurai Warrior Queens, I think? Which was interesting especially as it pointed out the Boshin War kind of kicked off when people got mad the Shogunate were trying to modernise...and then turned around and modernised even more to overthrow them (as opposed to say, Total War's portrayal of Empire=progress, Shogunate=tradition). And Yaeko is actually a perfect symbol of that - not only going around with a modern rifle and apparently commanding a cannon when not raiding the enemy camp!), but going on to survive the battle and defy traditional gender conventions further by marrying a guy who treated her as an equal and pushing for female education. Fingers crossed that the Bac Ninh miniatures guy gets around to them eventually, I think that's going to be my gateway into Sharp Practice. That or the Fenian Raids. Thanks, the Dollop!

Or hell, they're about the same period, could go full Gay Black Jefferson Davies and fight each other.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I have ospreys gempei war, shogun armies and ashigaru books, all good though the art is not as polished as that. Great resources for figuring out how to shoehorn them into an existing ruleset, I just gotta try out some different rulesets.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Can you imagine playing benghazi at an historical con with grogs

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Shoot blues >> Tell Vilerat.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Rest in peace Vilerat. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Kommando posted:

Rest in peace Vilerat. :(

Now I need tissues again :(, I miss that guy.