Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

538 has you all hosed up. Remember when it was 50-50? Nate Silver is very good at synthesizing polls, but is terrible at distilling them into a probability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I have a confession USPol:
I voted for a Libertarian this year

It was a race for state public service commission and the only other person in the race was a Republican and gently caress the Republican Party so hard

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Instant Sunrise posted:

"Not only are we going to New Hampshire, Tom Harkin, we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma And Arizona.. And North Dakota And New Mexico! We're going to California and Texas and New York! And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan! And then we're going to Washington D.C. to take back the White House! Yeah!!!"

that was played 633 times in a 4 day period, now multiply that out over the course of an entire election cycle.

I was 12 when this happened and didn't pay the slightest bit of attention to politics. Also, this current election has completely ruined the idea of what a gaffe looks like to me, so if you don't mind my asking: what in the actual hell is it about this thing that tanked Dean's chances, because it just looks like a slightly goofy bit of emotion to me?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

And a couple more anti-arzying tweets for good measure:

https://twitter.com/YouGovUS/status/793572048740184076

https://twitter.com/YouGovUS/status/793572542141308928

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hypothetically, what happens to both the trump toxxers and the clinton toxxers if it's a tied race with mcmullin taking utah and mcmullin gets picked

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Pakled posted:

I have a confession USPol:
I voted for a Libertarian this year

It was a race for state public service commission and the only other person in the race was a Republican and gently caress the Republican Party so hard

Should have written in Cher.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

chumbler posted:

12% is still too high for comfort.

Then adjust your comfort level.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not concerned about the true underlying secular trend, but about what the mood will be on Nov 8th :(

straight up brolic posted:

538 has you all hosed up. Remember when it was 50-50? Nate Silver is very good at synthesizing polls, but is terrible at distilling them into a probability.
Don't know what this means.

chumbler posted:

12% is still too high for comfort.
Yup. I'm not saying Trump will win, I'm saying it is not entirely unlikely he will.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Has a there ever actually been a case of a plausible controversial tweet being blamed on hacking actually being proven to be true?

Sure, sometimes politicians' accounts are hacked but they always seem to say something outlandish or very obviously fake.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Tir McDohl posted:

This election has really turned me into a hardline partisan. At this point it is clear that I cannot get along with the kind of psychopath who would vote for Trump. Kinda scary that around 40% of the electorate might as well be aliens to me now. I don't even want to engage in discussion with them. Scorched earth. I'd be pruning my Facebook heavily if I had not quit it years ago because of the conservative bully pulpit there.

Anyone else feeling the same way?

Yeah. Like at the bare minimum if you are voting for Trump, you have to be okay with his incredible racism and sexism, and with giving those views an international platform and having them represent our country. If that's how someone feels, I do not want to interact with them in any way.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

hypothetically, what happens to both the trump toxxers and the clinton toxxers if it's a tied race with mcmullin taking utah and mcmullin gets picked

That's when it's time to bring back hellbanning

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
one more

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

They all get banned. If you toxxed for Trump and he loses, you get banned and if you toxxed for Clinton and she loses you get banned

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

I was 12 when this happened and didn't pay the slightest bit of attention to politics. Also, this current election has completely ruined the idea of what a gaffe looks like to me, so if you don't mind my asking: what in the actual hell is it about this thing that tanked Dean's chances, because it just looks like a slightly goofy bit of emotion to me?

Lucky for you, FiveThirtyEight just did a documentary on this very subject.

tl;dr: dean was speaking to a VERY loud room and was yelling over the crowd. The news media all had a feed directly from his mic that was isolated from a lot of the crowd noise. so people in the room hear his shouting over the crowd and it sounded normal. the people on TV just heard this crazy guy yelling and then going "yyyeaaaargh!"

and then the news networks and the cable channels wouldn't stop replaying the scream, the AP counted it as something like 633 times in a 4 day period. And that doesn't include local stations playing the scream or the late night comedians playing it and making jokes.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 1, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Has a there ever actually been a case of a plausible controversial tweet being blamed on hacking actually being proven to be true?

Sure, sometimes politicians' accounts are hacked but they always seem to say something outlandish or very obviously fake.

I know that no man's sky account likely got hacked when they tweeted the game was a mistake.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

I just want to let you know that I appreciate what you're doing here.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

http://election.princeton.edu/2016/09/29/the-incredibly-stable-2016-campaign/

Unshakeable Wang agrees

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Andrast posted:

How do some of you even function in real life if this is enough for you to panic?

Who says we do?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I think we can all agree that this election has definitively proven Ohio is, in fact, a garbage state.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

comingafteryouall posted:

I think we can all agree that this election has definitively proven Ohio is, in fact, a garbage state.

Go Cubs

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah. Like at the bare minimum if you are voting for Trump, you have to be okay with his incredible racism and sexism, and with giving those views an international platform and having them represent our country. If that's how someone feels, I do not want to interact with them in any way.

But you do. They bag your groceries, they're the nice old man who served in WWII, they're your next door neighbor, they're your kid's elementary school teacher. There's no getting away from it and there's no end to the "ick" factor.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Andrast posted:

How do some of you even function in real life if this is enough for you to panic?

Pretty well I think. I teach a couple of comp classes. We read that Judith Butler chapter on Rodney King. (Some students got it.) We watch music videos. They're reading about global warming.

And then I have three seminars and that takes sooo much time. And I hang out with my wife and that's good.

And then I read this thread in my free time and get anxious. But I'm so active most the time I don't have time to melt down over Trump. So ya, I think I function alright. Goddamn, I can't wait to vote. My only regret is I have to feed my vote into a machine instead of personally jamming it down Cheeto Benito's throat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My favorite discovery of this election season is that Sam Wang hates Nate Silver

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Was that ever in doubt?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I hope 538 is jumping the gun and the racist pumpkin man gets severely owned.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Magres posted:

This is only USPOL because of how it relates to the horrible ugliness and cruelty that is the American Right (okay it's not really USPOL but I know a lot of the regulars in this thread know a lot about various government systems around the country and we have several who are in related fields), but does anyone have any experience or know anyone with any experience in dealing with disability claims and medicaid claims in North Carolina? Just found out that a goonfriend of mine is struggling horribly with the system, to the point of potential homelessness, and probably the best way to keep him from starving to death on the street is to see if there's any way I can help him get the resources he needs to win his disability case in court next month. Any leads anyone might be able to give me would be appreciated.

From your post, I'd take it that they've been denied and are working their way through the appeals process? Point them to a local attorney who practices in that area. Even if they're dead broke, for social security disability, the norm is not up front payment. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-much-does-social-security-disability-lawyer-cost.html

If that's not an option, it's a federal program, so there's plenty out there on the internet, google up what you can. If there's additional medical documentation your friend needs, move fast. Many providers can be slow to respond to record requests.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

They all get banned. If you toxxed for Trump and he loses, you get banned and if you toxxed for Clinton and she loses you get banned

Soulfucker posted:

Gentlemen! Both Donald and Hillary will mutually destroy each other in the upcoming debate, just according to the intricate plan of the next President of the United States. THIS HAS ALL BEEN HIS MASTER PLAN FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.

Jeb!!!

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Was that ever in doubt?

I went to one of the small liberal arts colleges in Ohio, so I had a skewed perception. No more.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Northjayhawk posted:

Well, its probably fine it you want to appoint a Republican to Commerce or Energy.

FBI director and Justice department are now clearly politically partisan offices, and it should become routine for the sitting FBI director to offer a resignation if the other party wins.

Somewhere Roscoe Conkling is laughing...

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

We're doomed to Brexit. We're all going to go nationalist, tank our collective economies, then continue to spiral out of control till someone realizes that nationalism is what's killing us.

Nationalism isn't the disease, it's a symptom, and what's really killing us is multinational corporate capital gaining more and more power to override democratically elected governments trying to protect the interests of their people. There's really no such thing as an "American" megacorporation, they're all publically traded and owned by international investors from all over the world. In the old feudal systems, the local lord knew that if he taxed his serfs too harshly, they'd revolt and storm the castle. In modern feudalism, each lord owns a small interest in a million fields and lives half a world away, and starved serfs are just another writeoff on the balance sheet.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chump Farts posted:

Last time it was ~70% Nate basically said it meant four equally likely outcomes

Close Trump win
Close Clinton win
Obama-level Clinton win
Double-digit Clinton win

Its easy to be scared by the 70/30 split, but remember Nate considers Trump winning as equally likely as Clinton winning by the highest percent in modern American politics

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My favorite discovery of this election season is that Sam Wang hates Nate Silver
most of the hardcore prob. stats people do

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I went to one of the small liberal arts colleges in Ohio, so I had a skewed perception. No more.

Which one?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

canepazzo posted:

Some more Early Vote numbers for FL:

https://twitter.com/steveschale/status/793569309255692289

Some more Early Vote numbers for FL:

quote:
Through Mon's votes, share of the FL electorate that is black (African American & Hispanic) is now 11.7%, and growing.

African American share was like 8 when in-person early voting started.

FL Hispanics are now closing in on being 14% of the electorate, driven by huge numbers of low propensity Hispanic Dems/NPA

51% of Hispanic Dems are either first time or 1 of 3 voters, and 57% of Hispanic NPAs. There is definitely a Hispanic surge happening.

Moreover, now almost 31% of all Dems voted are "low propensity" compared to about 25% of GOP, in real people, a 90K edge

But there are as many if not more Dems who voted in 2012 yet to vote than Republicans. And more Dems with VBM than Republicans...

And more "low propensity" Dems voting than GOP...and the electorate is trending more diverse than 2012...

This is all very good news yes? It seems that the Black vote is starting to catch up and the Hispanic vote is beating past results. Am I looking at this correctly?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chump Farts posted:

I think to keep this in perspective, the thing people are melting down over, tearfully anxiety storming, etc. is that Hillary's odds have slipped somewhat on the most pessimistic of the major poll aggregators, who avowedly has said that if you take out his correlations poo poo (where Trump being up 5% in Ohio is treated as odds that the polls in PA are actually also +3% for Trump or whatever the gently caress) Trump's chance of winning is like 3%.

Now yes, Trump is real loving bad, but a lot of this anxiety seems to be "Hillary isn't winning by a large enough margin"

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when I used to Arzy back in 2008. I've since learned that everything will be okay and that most people who Arzy either forget 2008 or 2012 or simply didn't follow those elections. Y'all need a heavy dose of Xanax.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mel Mudkiper posted:

calm the gently caress down you guys

How the gently caress do you expect anyone to calm down with the prospect of Trump winning and all he and his supporters disgusting vitriol being validated?!?!

THE loving FBI IS ACTIVELY WORKING TO TANK HILLARY RIGHT NOW

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Except for GBV and DEVO
Nothing seems to redeem Ohio

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Agrajag posted:

How the gently caress do you expect anyone to calm down with the prospect of Trump winning and all he and his supporters disgusting vitriol being validated?!?!

Oh nooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Guy Goodbody posted:

In addition to this, if Hillary loses, then anyone with the gang tag shown on my posts gets perma-banned.

• Locked thread