Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

RatHat posted:

Do titanfalls always kill titans they land on? With the upgrade to make the fall faster it looks like an easy way to kill large and medium titans.

Yes they do.

Also network parties no longer disband after the match! Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Knifegrab posted:

Well if we're getting technical He uploads a "part" of himself during that mission so its possible he uploaded the rest during the part Jockstrap is talking about..
One thing I noticed while replaying the campaign to pickup all the helmets: During the sequence where you have to hold W to help BT get into the cannon and it's displaying the protocols the entire time it says "Uploading..." and some stuff about the Link OS at the bottom of the screen, implying that he is uploading the rest of himself into the helmet.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's a real risk though, if you whiff or your Titan drops somewhere you didn't intend, or you die, your Titan is probably iced.

Speaking of the party stuff, 'normal' party groups (ie, you used Invite Friends) actually do behave properly. Like if you back out as party leader, your party follows, even though on their screen its still searching.

TastesBlue
Jan 15, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Yes they do.

Also network parties no longer disband after the match! Yay!

I think you have to drop the Titan square on the enemy Titan for an instakill.

I have survived a few not direct hits and watched some hits not instant kill. Perhaps it does a set amount of damage which doesn't always instant kill the higher hp models?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Why do I like objective modes in these sorts of game, since my team is always unable to actually do objectives.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

victrix posted:

It's a real risk though, if you whiff or your Titan drops somewhere you didn't intend, or you die, your Titan is probably iced.

Speaking of the party stuff, 'normal' party groups (ie, you used Invite Friends) actually do behave properly. Like if you back out as party leader, your party follows, even though on their screen its still searching.

Yeah it's probably suicide to do without the "teleport into titan" power, and with certain titans like Northstar.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So how is this game? I heard good things but I have no idea if it has what I want.

And by "what I want" I mean is there a robitt that I can shoot shitloads of missiles out of? I need some macross missile bullshit levels of robots shooting missiles.

I need a shootmans that isn't Overwatch and I don't want to buy a CoD.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Ciaphas posted:

Scorch was fun in the campaign but I couldn't really work out if I was really being effective with it or not in multiplayer for the time I tried it. :(

Me too until I discovered how much damage his gas canister makes to bunched up titans.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

So how is this game? I heard good things but I have no idea if it has what I want.

And by "what I want" I mean is there a robitt that I can shoot shitloads of missiles out of? I need some macross missile bullshit levels of robots shooting missiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwe1ZnYPgrY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I-UtUX4NCE

These have some rockets

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ciaphas posted:

Scorch was fun in the campaign but I couldn't really work out if I was really being effective with it or not in multiplayer for the time I tried it. :(

keyframe posted:

Me too until I discovered how much damage his gas canister makes to bunched up titans.

Yeah, Scorch is a very slow Titan, but packs an absolutely mean amount of close-range damage. If you find an enemy Titan in a corner, shoot him, drop two canisters (G), then ignite everything (Q). While he is flailing around taking an obscene amount of DOT damage, face hug him to keep him in the fire while also using your Thermal Shield (MMB), which will ALSO do DOT damage (as well as protect you from bullets). You will basically kill most Titans dead within seconds.

Scorch's main weakness is range, as well as very fast Titans like Ronin.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Why do I like objective modes in these sorts of game, since my team is always unable to actually do objectives.

Barring Amped Hardpoint, you can carry your team pretty hard which is neat and cool

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Lemming posted:

Barring Amped Hardpoint, you can carry your team pretty hard which is neat and cool

I'm not good enough to actually carry a team in this, unfortunately.

It doesn't help that I get matched against players who will have 30+ kills in a match, while my team tops around 15.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
Sorry if everyone already knows this, but I played the beta multiplayer and thought it kind of blew vs. titan fall 1, which seemed to be a consensus. However now TF2 is getting great reviews - did they actually fix the multiplayer or is all the positivity from the great campaign?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What were the complaints in beta?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 1, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mr. WTF posted:

Sorry if everyone already knows this, but I played the beta multiplayer and thought it kind of blew vs. titan fall 1, which seemed to be a consensus. However now TF2 is getting great reviews - did they actually fix the multiplayer or is all the positivity from the great campaign?

I haven't played the beta, but I've read people saying that Respawn listened to the players and fixed a lot of things / changed them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Scorch is destructive in bounty hunt because you can get enough points in the first round to get a Titan and use it in the third round on auto on one point and then go to the other point yourself

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daztek posted:

I haven't played the beta, but I've read people saying that Respawn listened to the players and fixed a lot of things / changed them.

I played the beta as well and nothing really changed other than that they added attrition. I think people just realized the game kicked rear end because it kicked rear end in the beta too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Weren't there only like 2 titans in the beta as well?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Absolutely. :swoon:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm not good enough to actually carry a team in this, unfortunately.

It doesn't help that I get matched against players who will have 30+ kills in a match, while my team tops around 15.

30+ is considered a lot? jesus I'm wondering how people get like 90 points in some matches. somebody told me it's because of mountain dew codes giving double xp or something. I get around 30ish to 50 points in most games.

Count Bleck posted:

I too have tired of Overwatch after playing nonstop since May. To frame things for you, I literally have never played a single Halo, CoD, or Battlefield in the last 8 years or so besides Destiny (lol 30 fps). I bought this game and loving love it. It took a day or two to acclimate to the fast-paced combat and to form good habits (the floor is lava, use radar religiously, be quick on the draw and always be sliding/wallrunning) but when it clicks, it owns so loving much.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Most of of the complaints during the beta seemed to be asinine "why is this not like titanfall 1!" complaints, and then also people thinking that a tech test meant to stress test their servers and netcode was representative of the final games content.

They did improve some things though, like pilot speed and balance stuff.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

30+ is considered a lot? jesus I'm wondering how people get like 90 points in some matches. somebody told me it's because of mountain dew codes giving double xp or something. I get around 30ish to 50 points in most games..

If it matters, I'm on the PS4 and also pretty mediocre at COD games. 30+ kills is literally twice what most players have ever gotten on consoles that I've seen.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MinibarMatchman posted:

30+ is considered a lot? jesus I'm wondering how people get like 90 points in some matches. somebody told me it's because of mountain dew codes giving double xp or something. I get around 30ish to 50 points in most games.

30 KILLS not 30 points. Average point total from what I've seen seems to be around 100ish.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I sort of wish I could justify using a titan who isn't tone, but good lord the 40mm is SO good at just erasing all pilots within sight from existence, and the rocket salvo can literally one-shot any medium or lighter titan.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

In Training posted:

I played the beta as well and nothing really changed other than that they added attrition. I think people just realized the game kicked rear end because it kicked rear end in the beta too.

They seriously improved the movement actually.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I hate cod, but I love Titanfall 2. Overwatch got old really, really fast. It's poo poo map design and hero balance did little to help it for me.

In Titanfall 2 the only horrible map is probably Crash Site.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I think I hate Homestead (the big open one that has almost no walls to wallrun on) the most to play on, but Crash Site is automatically the worst by default due to not having a map intro, what the gently caress. :mad: Oh and I guess it's also pretty lovely to play on too.

Magnus Condomus posted:

Most of of the complaints during the beta seemed to be asinine "why is this not like titanfall 1!" complaints, and then also people thinking that a tech test meant to stress test their servers and netcode was representative of the final games content.

They did improve some things though, like pilot speed and balance stuff.
I never played the tech test but IIRC from what I've read they changed a bunch of stuff like movement and titan eject height to be, ironically enough, more like Titanfall 1

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

BabelFish posted:

I sort of wish I could justify using a titan who isn't tone, but good lord the 40mm is SO good at just erasing all pilots within sight from existence, and the rocket salvo can literally one-shot any medium or lighter titan.

I found out Tone's core easily beats a Legion core too :( Maybe if I had shield up it would have helped.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As someone who loving LOATHES all of CoD's multiplayer (minuscule TTK, shooting first and still dying, calling bullshit on every single death, killcams) this game has a wealth of overlap that I knew about coming in and my own inexperience and lack of skill with this brand of multiplayer certainly compound the issue. But zipping around the movement system and doing well in this game is a loving BLAST! I still haven't mastered movement and I feel there are several times where I get caught on an object I shouldn't have and I still feel about half the deaths are bullshit, but the more I play the more this grows on me.

I still loving hate the idea of a multiplayer unlock system and I would LOVE an ini edit to permanently disable the killcam. Any good starter guides with tips that are relevant and USEFUL? Everything Google's given me so far are stupid loving common sense things like play the objective, don't hold on to cash, don't tunnel vision enemies, etc.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Carecat posted:

I found out Tone's core easily beats a Legion core too :( Maybe if I had shield up it would have helped.

Tone can't win in a straight up fight with a Legion but she's trickier (can fire both types of missiles around corners) and can dash more, which lets her get behind cover easier so it's not a fair fight.

Legion's shield is super strong through, if Tone doesn't swing the salvo core behind legion then it can block most or all of it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just wish you could actually catch the salvo core missiles with Ions vortex shield. If you get caught out against if you're just loving dead and not even going behind cover will help.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Elliotw2 posted:

If it matters, I'm on the PS4 and also pretty mediocre at COD games. 30+ kills is literally twice what most players have ever gotten on consoles that I've seen.

I've had a couple of games where I broke 20, and I've seen a couple people break 30. It was an absolute rout on those games, though.

The reason I play FPS on consoles is the very low skill ceiling introduced by the controller. It can be overcome by a tiny handful of players but it's extremely rare to see a 360 no-scoping god clean up the entire server single-handed. You always have a puncher's chance. Whereas on PC if the matchmaker doesn't work you get KillerHitler420 goosing every pilot who flickers into his eyeline.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just wish you could actually catch the salvo core missiles with Ions vortex shield. If you get caught out against if you're just loving dead and not even going behind cover will help.

Are you sure you can't? I was pretty sure you could, at least it seems like there have been times I've tried to shoot an Ion head-on and the shield stopped the salvo for the most part.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Lemming posted:

Are you sure you can't? I was pretty sure you could, at least it seems like there have been times I've tried to shoot an Ion head-on and the shield stopped the salvo for the most part.

I think you can catch about 3 of them. Does vortex shield energy drain the more stuff is shot at it? Or is it only based on how long you have it out?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think it's just time based on how much energy you have left, I've never had any problems blocking all of Legion's minigun spam and throwing it back in his face.

It's possible the salvo was going around the shield though, you can literally fire a salvo straight up in the air and guide it down on a target, which would bypass frontal shields.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bought the game on PC, I eagerly await parkouring into giant robutts to shoot missiles.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

victrix posted:

I think it's just time based on how much energy you have left, I've never had any problems blocking all of Legion's minigun spam and throwing it back in his face.

It's possible the salvo was going around the shield though, you can literally fire a salvo straight up in the air and guide it down on a target, which would bypass frontal shields.

Wait I thought Ion was the only Titan with a hidden energy mechanic governing its abilities. Do all the Titans have it for determining shield strength and such?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RatHat posted:

Wait I thought Ion was the only Titan with a hidden energy mechanic governing its abilities. Do all the Titans have it for determining shield strength and such?

Ion's pulls from his energy, Scorch... I have no idea actually, probably has its own independant timer? I'll check that tonight (when I'm ramming it into some Titan's face)

Tone and Legions are damage based afaik, both can be buffed with passives.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

RatHat posted:

What hidden energy mechanic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What hidden energy mechanic?

All of ion's abilities (and the secondary fire of the main cannon) pull from a common energy pool. So if you're only using a single ability, it recharges way faster.