Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Bah, I'm at Sulyvahn on a couple of my more challenging characters now and this game is so garbage with stored actions. I'm getting rolls that I inputed seconds ago, and it's super unfun :shepicide:

Dodge too late and get hit by a combo -> combo ends and my character rolls on their own -> get hit by next attack

its fun to 1v1 but theres a shitload of summons there for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah I always hated the stored actions, and in 3 is seems even more inconsistent at what it considered the button I pressed by the time it lets me do things.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

I thought or at least assumed the stored action queue was a deliberate design against panic button mashing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is early game co-op still active on the PC? i want to help some people to gain a few levels then run through myself and i've not had anyone summon me yet but its not been too long. Unless 30 is too high for the halfway fortress

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

30 is the high end for crucifixion woods. The problem is that just no one coops for the crystal sage. Some bosses people just don't seem to put signs for.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

I thought or at least assumed the stored action queue was a deliberate design against panic button mashing.

Panic button mashing fails just fine on its own.

Like I said, the problem with stored actions in this game is that they go really far back. If I mistime a single dodge on Pontiff it can mean death because the dodge that didn't go off is stored for seconds, essentially robbing me of control of my character. It sucks so bad, and it wasn't like this in DS1/2 :negative:

Worst part is that Pontiff is one of my favorite fights.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Also if the enemy moves around and changes the camera while you're stunned you'll roll off in the "same" direction as you imputed, so you fly off in a rando direction and get owned

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
The command queue is definitely a deliberate thing, it's been a hallmark of the series. I remember being completely owned by it in DS1 on many an occasion and it still gets me in 3 from time to time. I would assume it's to intentionally punish mashing and reward deliberate play but that's just my own assumption.

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

You forgot to make a point with your witless sarcasm.

Your mom is witless!

I was merely pointing out how you lead off with the super hyperbolic claim that the majority of mandatory bosses were "cold garbage" and then immediately walked it back. I just don't like how easily people fall into ultra-dismissive hyperbole on the interbutts, although I'm sure I do it as well. So I was thought policing you with my cutting sarcasm. Aside from that, I generally disagree with your opinions on the bosses but that's just like, your opinion man and you're entitled to it.

I think that Vordt is an easy fight but for a newcomer to the series it's a great early bossfight that is pretty visually impressive, has a great soundtrack, and gets pretty intense in the second phase if you don't know you can just easily roll through everything he does. Cursed Greatwood is technically optional and it's a cool set-piece but I don't really like the fight either. Crystal Sages are just a typical DS "mid-boss that's an enemy later" and have a decent enough gimmick but are fairly forgettable. I love Deacons because it just lets you go in and wail on a bunch of scrubs and is one of the few places in the game that AoE spells and attacks really excel, it's a great "you're a badass and you get to dumpster some chumps fight" but it is piss easy. Wolnir has an incredible opening and is visually amazing but it's either very easy if you know what to do or frustratingly binary if you don't, I'd agree it's not a great boss. I think the other 4 are all great fights except that I wish fighting Yhorm legitimately was the default (and obviously a bit easier) and you could Stormruler him as a bonus for doing Sieg's quest or something.

If your primary metric for a good boss is difficulty I can see why those don't appeal but I don't think that makes them cold garbage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm guessing there's nothing to support this besides words Sin and Crow.

I mean it's not like Darkmoons assassinated Gwyn and his siblings or whatever

Literally nothing. I mean the Darkmoons were supposed to act in the defense of the gods and kill people who broke their agreements with them. But any time anything in the game says the word "sin" people automatically assume Velka's related to it. Personally, I really don't think Velka, or any of the other gods really, are actually important to the storyline anymore. We've gone past the age where they're relevant.

Red Mundus posted:

Untended Graves is such a weird place. I have no idea how it fits into anything and just seems kind of there.

I think the most common theory is that it's another dark souls 2 giant lord scenario where it's just inexplicably you walking into the past, beating up a dude in the past who you already murdered in the present.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

30 is the high end for crucifixion woods. The problem is that just no one coops for the crystal sage. Some bosses people just don't seem to put signs for.

apparently there is a bonfire nearer the boss i never found which is why my boss runs were so long lol

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

The command queue is definitely a deliberate thing, it's been a hallmark of the series. I remember being completely owned by it in DS1 on many an occasion and it still gets me in 3 from time to time. I would assume it's to intentionally punish mashing and reward deliberate play but that's just my own assumption.

Yeah. I just don't like the way it pans out. Like maybe if it reset ever time you got hit? I don't know. I'm not against the idea itself.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

I think the most common theory is that it's another dark souls 2 giant lord scenario where it's just inexplicably you walking into the past, beating up a dude in the past who you already murdered in the present.

Consider this; you get to the Untended Graves on foot (aka. it's connected to the world) but you only ever teleport out of Firelink Shrine. Which one is the real one? rly makes u think :350:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Nuebot posted:

My understanding (and what is most logical to me at least) is that regular Firelink is actually in the future wOoOo and when you take that first bonfire teleport you are heading to the past. The rest of the game then generally takes place in the past until the ending sequence which catapults you forward in time (past even regular Firelink) to the end of fire. So the Untended Graves is in the past (compared to regular Firelink) but it's concurrent with the rest of Lothric. Which makes sense given with what we know of the timing of the Oceiros and Twin Princes stuff. But as per usual there's nothing that definitively supports any interpretation so it's up to you to choose what you believe!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I assume I can't buff a fire infused weapon with magic weapon right?

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

If I end up not liking my build is there a soul vessel type thing from 2 that refunds all my souls and can spend them again?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AttackBacon posted:

The command queue was fine in a game that was relatively slow paced like DS1. It's garbage in a game like DS3 where Champion Gundyr is doing loving Street Fighter animation cancelling combos. It creates a massive tactile disconnect between what my hands are currently doing vs. what my character is actually doing that ends up feeling like rear end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

stringball posted:

If I end up not liking my build is there a soul vessel type thing from 2 that refunds all my souls and can spend them again?

Yes. In the Cathedral of the Deep there's a place you can go with a giant woman who lets you join the local red eye invader cult. She lets you respend your skill points.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
if you want to max out your sunlight medals I find sitting around Yhorm is good on your first playthrough. The battle feels absolutely amazing if you get to go in as three summons and siegfried with all the wind blasts shooting everywhere.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

My understanding (and what is most logical to me at least) is that regular Firelink is actually in the future wOoOo and when you take that first bonfire teleport you are heading to the past. The rest of the game then generally takes place in the past until the ending sequence which catapults you forward in time (past even regular Firelink) to the end of fire. So the Untended Graves is in the past (compared to regular Firelink) but it's concurrent with the rest of Lothric. Which makes sense given with what we know of the timing of the Oceiros and Twin Princes stuff. But as per usual there's nothing that definitively supports any interpretation so it's up to you to choose what you believe!

That doesn't make sense though. The solar eclipse happens at Lorthic, and the kiln of the first flame. And the untended doesn't have a sun while the rest of Lorthic does.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I've been owned by the command queue a few times, but generally understanding that you can overwrite whatever you had on it with a dodge in whatever direction you want makes it a bit better.

As far as timelines go, I'm partial to just waving it away with "the flow of time is convoluted". Most everything you meet that lived in Lothric has long gone insane with time anyway, and it's not supposed to make sense.

Hawkwood is still alive even though the Abyss Watchers supposedly died out a long time ago, and only exist as hollows killing each other and being reborn eternally in their own crypt, while there has even been a covenant, the Watchdogs of Farron, that is "ancient" at this point, defending their "resting" place after they linked the fire.

Each one of the great lords already linked their fires who knows how long ago, and were brought back to link it again, but no one was interested in playing NG+, so it falls on you to kill them, take their souls to get strong enough, and link it yourself. Everyone you meet, including all the unkindled could have been dead for a very long time at this point, unless the flame is fading every few years at this point.

There's also that whole weirdness where every lord has an unkindled that kills them a second time in parallel to you. Siegward and Yhorm, Anri and Aldricht, Hawkwood does not want to go after his old Legion and has deserted his attempt, and that leaves the Twin Princes without an unkindled, which might be us, in this case. It might also be Yuria or Elfreide, since apparently Elfreide is ash as well (I'm guessing Ash is the same as Unkindled), and this being why all the pilgrims from Londor were headed to Lothric Castle.

We get to the outright strange when Pontiff Sullyvahn is connected to everything, especially now that we know he was born and raised in the Painted World, having the small doll that took us to Ariamis' world in DS1, while also finding the Profaned Flame in the Capital, was Aldricht's ally and actually trapped and fed him the last god that stayed in Anor Londo, and the theories linking him to the Archives which would make him the scholar that made Lothric doubt about linking the fire, and the twin Crystal sages, one of which went with Farron's Legion. Pontiff Sullyvahn seems to be a kind of Man in Black figure that just went all over meddling in stuff. The Profaned Flame even seems to have some relation to the Chaos Flame, if the root-wings he sprouts are any indication.

So the timeline would be in some order, Yhorm, Aldricht, Ludleth and the Farron Legion all linked the flame. Then it was Lothric's turn, but he refused, so for some reason the bell revived all the old lords, and Ludleth was the only one who wanted to, so the bell revives you as a last ditch attempt. Also at some point Gundyr got awoken, but was apparently too late to link the fire as it had already been extinguished in his timeline, and was cursed to be a trial for other unkindled to go ahead. Also someone who had killed the Soul of Ember might have made a coiled sword and used it to kill some timeline's Gundyr and abandoned it on his corpse?

Dark Souls lore is fun to think about.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 1, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Jose posted:

is early game co-op still active on the PC? i want to help some people to gain a few levels then run through myself and i've not had anyone summon me yet but its not been too long. Unless 30 is too high for the halfway fortress

It drops off after undead settlement but, yes it is still active.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

The command queue was fine in a game that was relatively slow paced like DS1. It's garbage in a game like DS3 where Champion Gundyr is doing loving Street Fighter animation cancelling combos. It creates a massive tactile disconnect between what my hands are currently doing vs. what my character is actually doing that ends up feeling like rear end.

Yeah, perhaps it's not that the queue is longer than DS1/2 but rather that the game is so much faster. Either way, I never had a problem with it in those games and it's been a major issue in DS3 on bosses like Pontiff, Abyss Watchers and the Champ :( I don't buy that it's for punishing panic rolls, since panic rolls get you killed regardless (due to being badly timed). The queuing fucks you over the most when you just barely fail a dodge, kinda like how partial parries costing you your entire stamina bar and tons of health in this game. 1 frame too late on your dodge? Eat the attack and lose control of your character!

Sidenote: speaking of Sulyvahn, as the Pontiff's #1 fan I'm still mad that you can't combine his weapons (in NG+) and dual-wield them <:mad:>

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Has anyone tried out the twin scythes with a sorcerer build yet? I'm thinking of respeccing my character to go full intellect/dexterity for friedes twin scythes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Maleh-Vor posted:

We get to the outright strange when Pontiff Sullyvahn is connected to everything, especially now that we know he was born and raised in the Painted World, having the small doll that took us to Ariamis' world in DS1, while also finding the Profaned Flame in the Capital, was Aldricht's ally and actually trapped and fed him the last god that stayed in Anor Londo, and the theories linking him to the Archives and the twin Crystal sages, which would make him , one of which went with Farron's Legion.

Dark Souls lore is fun to think about.

Pontiff is probably the central figure that makes figuring out the timeline easiest. I think out of all the lords we kill Yhorm would be the oldest because the profaned capital is already a ruin when the Pontiff goes to explore it and finds the Profaned Flame. I'd wager the Abyss Watchers are next because the swamp goes to poo poo after they do this and it's implied it happened at some point in the Pontiff's life since they have a crystal sage associated with them. Aldrich comes next because he was close to the Pontiff who supplied him with children to eat well before he came back as a lord of cinder and moved up to gods. The Irithyllian preset describes it as having the "features of the old gods" and mentions that children who look like that are taken to the boreal valley. Presumably these were the kids like Anri and Horace.

One of the more recent theories is also that the Pontiff is the same scholar that convinced the princes to not link the flame themselves.

Yodzilla posted:

I still can't look at Soul of Cinder and not just see a Soul Calibur end boss.

With how he changes style every round, he basically is.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 2, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I still can't look at Soul of Cinder and not just see a Soul Calibur end boss.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AttackBacon posted:

So half the bosses are exceptions and you actually aren't sure about 3 of the rest. Hmm, yes...definitely mostly bunch of trash, I agree.
I never really ran into a roadblock (the difficulty curve is actually super reasonable in DS3) but there are some tough bosses in the game. I actually one shot Fume Knight and haven't replayed the DLC since so I don't really have a good point of comparison but I'd say there's at least two bosses that are comparable? Maybe? Orphan of Kos gave me a lot more trouble than anything in DS2 or DS3 honestly. Difficulty is kind of a weird thing in Dark Souls since Soul Level and equipment can make such a huge difference, particularly if you don't have enough HP/Stam or a properly upgraded weapon for a particular boss.

i think it's because it's the only series of games i can think of that does "story" right. games are just chock full of infodumps and cutscenes and narration and all sorts of bullshit when the souls games use the environment and items and enemies and bosses the actual game bits to tell the story. that's half of what keeps me coming back. it's the king of the cardinal rule of storytelling - show don't tell. they've ruined most other games for me.

orphan of kos is probably the hardest boss in any of the games. what a sick loving dlc for a sick loving game.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

orphan of kos is probably the hardest boss in any of the games. what a sick loving dlc for a sick loving game.

i agree with this, BB's dlc is just on another level completely.

who's the hardest boss in all of dark souls? fume knight? i can't think of another who's given me as much trouble.

i think ornstein and smough were maybe the steepest learning curve, but once you have a strategy for them it's pretty straightforward. same with the smelter demon in DS2, he was a brick wall for me for a while.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Technically speaking, the Kiln of the Flame in this game is 'forward in time', right? Not a whole lot, but it's part of the overall progression.

The game actually has a 'day to night' cycle where you start off in the Highwall during the day, things get dimmer in the Undead Settlement, as you progress through to the Abyss Watchers the sun is setting, and so by the time you get to Irithyll you get that pretty night sky.
When you get to Lothric Castle day and night no longer have meaning because that's not an eclipse in the sky, it's the Darksign as the entire world goes hollow, and the sky stays like that if you revisit earlier areas.

The opening ("It is called Lothric, where the transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder converge."), Cornyx's dialogue and the Small Lothric Banner imply that the world is literally undergoing a 'Big Crunch' as the lands drift together and come to all the same place.

So to me it makes sense that when you visit the Kiln, things have progressed even further along and the giant mess of buildings behind you is literally most of the remaining buildings of the world all shoved together crushing each other.

I always thought this, but just realised I never had it 100% confirmed or anything.

Also when getting in gear for the DLC I noticed that it looks like the final boss battle's platform is resting on top of an archtree.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

alf_pogs posted:

i agree with this, BB's dlc is just on another level completely.

who's the hardest boss in all of dark souls? fume knight? i can't think of another who's given me as much trouble.

i think ornstein and smough were maybe the steepest learning curve, but once you have a strategy for them it's pretty straightforward. same with the smelter demon in DS2, he was a brick wall for me for a while.

Nameless King probably killed me more than any boss but he's definitely not the hardest, just the most bullshit (though Friede might have usurped that title). Its hard to answer that question honestly. Might just be Soul of Cinder for being difficult while not relying on cheap tricks or bad design.

VVV He asked Dark Souls. If we include Bloodborne then yeah its definitely Orphan of Kos.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 2, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

or as some say, orphan of kosm

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... is there anything in Smouldering Lake that I really should get? I'm really not feeling going through that slog again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there's a bone thingy for your estus down there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

double nine posted:

... is there anything in Smouldering Lake that I really should get? I'm really not feeling going through that slog again.

Yes

-undead bonesash in the hallway of pain
-undead boneash held by the worm
-estus shard behind the bonfire illusory wall
-shield of want in front of the worm

Those are the things pretty much every character will want regardless of build. There's also a good amount of large shards lying around. Its the earliest place to get more without doing Dancer skip. Still, just getting only those items doesn't take that long. Notably you can completely ignore the stupidly long path you take to shut off the triple crossbow tower.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
This is my second playthrough so far, and things have been slightly different to my first.

I think I died the most to the Dancer while trying to fight her with +3 weapons to get to Lothric early. I ended up giving up until after I killed Sullyvahn and got to the dungeon, since I needed that earlier anyway to get to the Swordspear earlier. I then murdered her with Dorhy's Gnawing in about 2 attempts. On my first playthrough, I think I got her on maybe my 5th attempt, reaching her once I got teleported there after killing 3 lords, since she died quickly. Having to survive longer due to not doing as much damage made me much more likely to slip up and get caught by attacks (or her instakill grab), or run out of Estus due to carelessness.

Nameless King was overall probably the hardest overall though. It took me ages on my shieldless, armorless UGS user, but Dorhy's Grawing again trivialized him on this faith build. I've heard people who were pyromancers and reached him at the endgame had no issues and just melted him with GCFO like they did with everything else.

Different bosses are better at punishing different things, and different playstyles will struggle with them in different ways. Elfreide was a pain with this paladin build, but she might be easier with my original character due to staggers, and would probably definitely be easier with something faster or someone who is very good at parrying. I hear she's tough against casters in general, though.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
What's up with those skyrim nord looking dudes in the dlc. They're ridiculously unfun to fight and they seem to just poise through literally everything.

I'm getting DS2 hammer drakekeeper flashbacks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you mean the robert baratheons? they were pretty easy to dodge and just whack a few times. dragonslayer greataxe broke their poise pretty easy tho.

that area felt like a huge troll, what you get out of it is lame. especially after having to kill all them wolves to get there.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
They have nothing on hammer drakekeepers.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Red Mundus posted:

What's up with those skyrim nord looking dudes in the dlc. They're ridiculously unfun to fight and they seem to just poise through literally everything.

I'm getting DS2 hammer drakekeeper flashbacks.

They're bad at closing decent distances, the ones without shields are a joke against projectiles, and you can easily backstab all of them since they leave themselves wide open. Shielded ones you can also break their guard in like 1 kick and an attack (maybe just 1 kick with the kicking ring, or few attacks with the Knightslayer ring) and then riposte them. The ones with bows are huge jerks due to their placement and the fact you always fight them in tight spaces, and the red-eyed one at the top of the tower I knocked off his ledge because I was exhausted and did not want to deal with him after falling to my death a couple times while dodging.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

So the action queuing isn't queuing attacks with certain weapons it seems? Whatever happened it killed me and I'm not a happy camper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Maleh-Vor posted:

They're bad at closing decent distances, the ones without shields are a joke against projectiles, and you can easily backstab all of them since they leave themselves wide open. Shielded ones you can also break their guard in like 1 kick and an attack (maybe just 1 kick with the kicking ring, or few attacks with the Knightslayer ring) and then riposte them. The ones with bows are huge jerks due to their placement and the fact you always fight them in tight spaces, and the red-eyed one at the top of the tower I knocked off his ledge because I was exhausted and did not want to deal with him after falling to my death a couple times while dodging.

It's the one guarding the earthquake hammer or whatever that shoots arrows at you. When I closed the distance he would pull out a mace and start swinging it wildly. He also killed me in one hit with +1300 hp and 150/30% defenses in everything which is the first bullshit thing I've genuinely seen despite all my bitching.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

So the action queuing isn't queuing attacks with certain weapons it seems? Whatever happened it killed me and I'm not a happy camper.

I've long given up trying to figure out how action queuing works. I switched from one greatsword to another boss greatsword and action queuing was changed just from that.