Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I thought a lot of the old right wingers left when 4chan formed. This place used to be a conservative wasteland where every white man was either in jail on bogus rape charges or unemployable because affirmative action kept them out of college.

This place was pretty right wing until 08-09, the pedophiles left for 4chan in like 03 or something and 4chan didn't get super fascist until like 2013 I wanna say. I'd attribute that to average age of the users more than anything though. The vitriol and nihilism metastasized over time as they got older and became politically aware and spread to other media platforms that don't heavily moderate that sort of content. Reddit's large audience played a role, but much of the content of memes and ideas originated elsewhere while the posting culture was established there.

How much of Donald Trump's rise is caused by the alt right and how much of it is just latent awfulness in the dominant America culture I don't know, but the alt right's genesis is 4chan imo, so I guess that makes SA responsible for Donald Trump in some small way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What's the context on these, national? It doesn't seem to match with RCP.

Man, I know Clinton's going to win, and I still have a good feeling about the Senate, but I miss the days when we were talking about Texas and the House as outside possibilities. :sigh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Akumu posted:

lol she's 69
Yes I know what menopause is and how the female body functions generally, but middle-aged/old white dudes? Apparently not.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Democrats/liberals/progressives all tend to keep quieter about their politics in work situations, in my experience. Wingnuts can't keep thst poo poo to themselves and are often awful to work with.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lol what is this poo poo? I wake up and the FBI is doing ANOTHER political hit? ahahaha This campaign crazy is growing at a geometric rate.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

What's the context on these, national? It doesn't seem to match with RCP.

Man, I know Clinton's going to win, and I still have a good feeling about the Senate, but I miss the days when we were talking about Texas and the House as outside possibilities. :sigh:

Hillary Clinton will win Texas.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Northjayhawk posted:

This is a good post.

I went through this as well, but the swing was more dramatic for me. I bought Limbaugh's first two books and listened to his show a couple times a week. The first crack was when I really liked McCain and the conservative bubble poo poo all over him, which made me angry. Then as you described, the daily unfairness of life and seeing good people working hard getting screwed over, unpopular groups (gays, minorities) ostracized and kicked around eventually made me realize my side was pretty terrible. I only spent maybe 1 or 2 years passing through as a libertarian when I left the conservative movement, when I started to move left it was pretty quick.

I never really did the libertarian thing, but I was a pretty milquetoast center-leftish Democrat for most of my 20s. I've shifted pretty loving hard to the left over the last four or five years, though. I honestly can't imagine the kind of cognitive dissonance that must be required to live in the US and still hold onto conservative beliefs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Akumu posted:

lol she's 69
barely any grown men know the first thing about the menstrual cycle.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Donkwich posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reapportionment_Act_of_1929

It was because of immigrants. Ah, some things never change.

Wow, they really don't. Although we really should try to get this on the platform. Make the House reflect the actual population dynamics between the states. As to the 1020. I am sorry about phone posting. I have hands the size of Seinfeld's girlfriend so my fingers have a tendency of being to bigly.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Nessus posted:

So you're saying the RNC GOTV operation is like the dark matter: Profoundly powerful, and vital to your model, but as yet unobserved by our instruments, save by its effect on the narrative? Intriguing

You are again choosing to ignore early voting data. Obama had pulled ahead in Florida by this point in 2012, the Democrats are still trailing this year. Democrats are trailing their 2012 numbers in NC (when they lost), the Republicans are doing better than 2012 in NC. We have data showing the Hillary GOTV advantage turning to to be more fiction that reality.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Democrats/liberals/progressives all tend to keep quieter about their politics in work situations, in my experience. Wingnuts can't keep thst poo poo to themselves and are often awful to work with.

I had to leave my lab for a minute today because my boss was talking about how "the gays stole the rainbow, and now we can't like rainbows anymore and they stole the word gay too and why can't they make up their own word"
Thankfully the subject had changed once I returned

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm curious, maybe it'd be better to ask when things are a little less crazy, but how many people here are actually involved to the point that they attend regular meetings? (AA doesn't count!)

I really recommend it, it won't necessarily push you towards the center, but it can be a moderating influence to understand how things work on the inside, and how things are changing.

I'd probably be a Bernout still mad that Hillary stole the election if I didn't have a ton of experience seeing how things actually work.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TyrantWD posted:

Where is Hillary outperforming Obama and where is the RNC under-performing Romney?

North Carolina and Florida, based on multiple things people have posted that aren't your sources.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TyrantWD posted:

Where is Hillary outperforming Obama and where is the RNC under-performing Romney?

Are you loving making GBS threads me?

I'll humor you for all of 2 seconds. Let's take a journey back to 2012 in a place called Virginia, I hear it's for lovers.

Obama and Romney's GOTV camps both went through the required training to be poll watchers on November 6th, took the tests, etc. Obama's GOTV campaign did the second part where they got certified to be poll watchers and Romney's GOTV campaign didn't. November 6th, 2012, the GOP poll watchers were getting kicked out of the polling locations because they didn't have their certifications in order and therefore were denied access to being able to look through the poll rolls to see who has and hasn't voted. Why is this important? Because it's such a colossal gently caress up on the most basic and fundamental of levels. The Romney camp could not call people up day of and say "Hey, I saw that you haven't voted, are you planning on voting or do you need some help making it out to your polling location?"

So let's flash forward to TYOOL 2016: where does Trump have his most concentrated GOTV campaign? You're not going to find it in the Continental US, or Alaska, or Hawaii, or any of the territories under US control. It's in Israel.

However, let's not let facts or history get in the way of you getting in some hot rear end fuckin' takes straight off of the griddle.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
For people who know more about polling, how does it handle early voting? Are people who already voted still included, and is there a lesser likelihood of people who have already voted responding to the poll? Because I feel like a decent partial explanation for Clinton's drop in very recent polling would be more Clinton voters taking part in early voting and being excluded from future polls, making it seem like Trump is surging.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Paradoxish posted:

I never really did the libertarian thing, but I was a pretty milquetoast center-leftish Democrat for most of my 20s. I've shifted pretty loving hard to the left over the last four or five years, though. I honestly can't imagine the kind of cognitive dissonance that must be required to live in the US and still hold onto conservative beliefs.

Same, but you learn pretty early as a black youth/male - no matter your socioeconomic status - to control your tone lest you get labeled the angry black man. I'm through with poo poo though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TyrantWD posted:

You are again choosing to ignore early voting data. Obama had pulled ahead in Florida by this point in 2012, the Democrats are still trailing this year. Democrats are trailing their 2012 numbers in NC (when they lost), the Republicans are doing better than 2012 in NC. We have data showing the Hillary GOTV advantage turning to to be more fiction that reality.
"We"? You got a tapeworm? I mean we could be high on our own farts but it seems like a lot of people disagree with your interpretation of the data here

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Akumu posted:

lol she's 69

lmao

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

This makes me feel not bad and I hope it translates into the Senate races as well.

Endorph posted:

barely any grown men know the first thing about the menstrual cycle.
It's God punishing women and that's good enough for me!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

rscott posted:

I had to leave my lab for a minute today because my boss was talking about how "the gays stole the rainbow, and now we can't like rainbows anymore and they stole the word gay too and why can't they make up their own word"
The other major distinction is that I think most of them are misguided and not just plain evil. If I voiced some of my opinions to them they'd write me off forever

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

My team at work didn't talk politics at all until one person piped up with "Can you guys believe people are gonna vote for that criminal? She should be locked up! What she did to those people at Benghazi is terrible!"

I asked her what she thought happened at Benghazi and she didn't have a clue but "knew it was bad". One other guy said he was voting Trump cause of guns, but more recently changed his mind to "It's dumb both candidates suck". Everyone else is some flavor of "Just not Trump" or pro-Hillary.

Also, someone keeps putting up Trump lawn signs along the company entrance and the nearby highway and they get taken down daily. It's kinda nuts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

My team at work didn't talk politics at all until one person piped up with "Can you guys believe people are gonna vote for that criminal? She should be locked up! What she did to those people at Benghazi is terrible!"
you should have told her you were an acquaintance of one of the guys who died at benghazi and to shut up

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Off-topic and will probaby get lost in the shuffle, but for fellow Rome nerds, Duncan put up his revolutions fundraiser a couple days ago, and with it five appendices for the History of Rome. I, for one, can't wait to listen about Cato while watching our little republic struggle on through another rough election.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

rscott posted:

I never discuss politics with anyone at work. Or really any touchy or personal subjects whatsoever, and totally refuse to interact with coworkers on social media until one of us is no longer employed at the same place. I have some friends who tell me their coworkers constantly berate them with their political opinions and I can't imagine anything more maddening to be honest. I truly feel sympathy for some of the people and the awful poo poo they've heard and your anecdote doesn't even crack the top ten which in itself is astonishing.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

AlouetteNR posted:

For people who know more about polling, how does it handle early voting? Are people who already voted still included, and is there a lesser likelihood of people who have already voted responding to the poll? Because I feel like a decent partial explanation for Clinton's drop in very recent polling would be more Clinton voters taking part in early voting and being excluded from future polls, making it seem like Trump is surging.

If you tell a pollster that you already voted, then you obviously make it through the likely voter screen.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes I know what menopause is and how the female body functions generally, but middle-aged/old white dudes? Apparently not.
Every MRA is a pro expert on the female cycle and how it determines their behavior.

:biotruths:

Paradoxish posted:

First time I sat in an Uber, it was us 5 Europeans being chauffeured around by a US driver, and he was complaining about his taxes. We start very careful: well, you see, we're from Europe, ... No sign of understanding. Taxes are killing him much to high blah blah. Well, in Europe, we all sell like twice the taxes you guys do ... He just straight out ignored us. Just kept on talking happily.

wilderthanmild posted:

I asked her what she thought happened at Benghazi and she didn't have a clue but "knew it was bad". One other guy said he was voting Trump cause of guns, but more recently changed his mind to "It's dumb both candidates suck". Everyone else is some flavor of "Just not Trump" or pro-Hillary.

Also, someone keeps putting up Trump lawn signs along the company entrance and the nearby highway and they get taken down daily. It's kinda nuts.
I think that's the extent of everyone's perspective on Benghazi. It's the vaguest of conspiracy theories.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Trump just started his rally in Wisconsin, and it sounds like he's been replaced by an imposter: he's naming local Republican officials and speaking fondly of them and saying how great they are. Usually he doesn't even bother to tell the crowd to vote for whoever the local congressperson is. What've they done with the real Trump?

Lol, there's a supporter with a sign that says 'Minnesota Cancer Patient for Trump', and Trump just reassured the guy that he's absolutely 100% gonna recover once Obamacare is repealed.

Muggsy
Mar 30, 2011
Are there any handy guides out there that explain American election data and statistics? Like, things that explain the implications of states having a candidate at +4 or something? I have some friends that are interested in learning about the electoral system, and I am admittedly curious too. :shobon:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, Clinton has had an almost impenetrable electoral college advantage since day 1

Its why we have "Post the Map"

My map would have her losing every state with a GOP governor. It would involve base election tampering by removing ballot booths from precincts that voted heavily for Obama. Cleveland and Milwaukee and Philadelphia and Charlotte and Miami would see 8 hour waits to vote at the few places available to vote. OH, FL, PA, NC, and WI would be enough.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

someone linked one of our vps a snopes link about some idiot claim he made about michelle obama's mom and his response was "snopes is run by two liberals in california" and responded with a youtube video about his original claims. dude is in his 50s. how do you not grow out of being a moron.

Cingulate posted:

First time I sat in an Uber, it was us 5 Europeans being chauffeured around by a US driver, and he was complaining about his taxes. We start very careful: well, you see, we're from Europe, ... No sign of understanding. Taxes are killing him much to high blah blah. Well, in Europe, we all sell like twice the taxes you guys do ... He just straight out ignored us. Just kept on talking happily.

the problem in america is our taxes don't seemingly go anywhere to us in our day to day. if we had free college and healthcare i think people's tiny brains would make the connection.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Muggsy posted:

Are there any handy guides out there that explain American election data and statistics? Like, things that explain the implications of states having a candidate at +4 or something? I have some friends that are interested in learning about the electoral system, and I am admittedly curious too. :shobon:

How'd you become friends with Trump, exactly?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Libertine posted:

I never discuss politics with anyone at work. Or really any touchy or personal subjects whatsoever, and totally refuse to interact with coworkers on social media until one of us is no longer employed at the same place. I have some friends who tell me their coworkers constantly berate them with their political opinions and I can't imagine anything more maddening to be honest. I truly feel sympathy for some of the people and the awful poo poo they've heard and your anecdote doesn't even crack the top ten which in itself is astonishing.

It doesn't even crack the top ten worst things I've heard while working here either, I work with people who use n*ball in everyday conversations
I mean the owner of the company's sister is married to a literal neonazi skinhead who used to work here as a maintenance guy until he lost an arm and a leg crashing his motorcycle into a guardrail blitzed out of his mind on booze and pcp

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

What is Hillary's GOTV like? Is it based on Obama's?

Muggsy
Mar 30, 2011

Lemming posted:

How'd you become friends with Trump, exactly?

Not Trump, just Floridians.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Apraxin posted:

Lol, there's a supporter with a sign that says 'Minnesota Cancer Patient for Trump', and Trump just reassured the guy that he's absolutely 100% gonna recover once Obamacare is repealed.
:(

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

theflyingorc posted:

North Carolina and Florida, based on multiple things people have posted that aren't your sources.
Everyone here has been working off the same sources (Elect Project and the journalists that specialize in certain states like Jon Ralston). No one has actually posted a source showing Hillary doing better against Trump than Obama did against Romney (other than in CO and VA which aren't really swing states anymore).

Phone posted:

Are you loving making GBS threads me?
I'll humor you for all of 2 seconds. Let's take a journey back to 2012 in a place called Virginia, I hear it's for lovers.
Virginia is basically a blue state at this point thanks to NoVA. I'm talking about actual swing states like NC, FL, OH, etc.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Apraxin posted:

Trump just started his rally in Wisconsin, and it sounds like he's been replaced by an imposter: he's naming local Republican officials and speaking fondly of them and saying how great they are. Usually he doesn't even bother to tell the crowd to vote for whoever the local congressperson is. What've they done with the real Trump?

What does it say about this election I'm just relieved Trump didn't try to lay on hands and cure him?

Relieved, but a little disappointed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Muggsy posted:

There's nothing special about that, it simply means that person is likely to win that state, because it's say 48% vote for that guy, 44% for another guy, and 8% for all others. Hence, +4 for the first guy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Thaddius the Large posted:

What does it say about this election I'm just relieved Trump didn't try to lay on hands and cure him?

Relieved, but a little disappointed.

He only can do that a number of times per day equal to 1/2 his Paladin level + his Charisma modifier (min 1), he's not going to waste that considering his 6 Charisma. Though, he's probably already fallen and become a Fighter of equivalent level at this point unless he has the most liberal DM ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Covok posted:

He only can do that a number of times per day equal to 1/2 his Paladin level + his Charisma modifier (min 1), he's not going to waste that considering his 6 Charisma. Though, he's probably already fallen and become a Fighter of equivalent level at this point unless he has the most liberal DM ever.

Paladins need 17CHA though, how did he make it in the first place?

• Locked thread