Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm caving and reinstalling this but looking over the Light vs Dark event my pigeon brain feels immediately defeated because I've missed the Kree events for some of the reward tiers.

I may have brain problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Deofuta posted:

The Shadow of Revan Storyline for DvL finishes after the end of Yavin, I was able to go straight to KOTFE for the purposes of DvL after defeating Revan with the various council members and releasing the Emperor.

Ah yes, you only need Ziost (Killing monolith and also doing the storyline) for Legendary. I just did it with the same toon I did SoR on so I only had to do SoR once (Since you can't go back and do Ziost after you start KOTFE).

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Legendary isn't worth it, folks! Just glide to Eternal; get a bunch of sweet swag you can either use or GTN, an XP armor set, and a cool Chiss lady companion.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 1, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cross-Section posted:

Legendary isn't worth it, folks! Just glide to Eternal; get a bunch of sweet swag you can either use or GTN, an XP armor set, and a cool Chiss lady companion.

I'm trying to get Valiant and Eternal before the event ends. I think that should be possible. Time permitting I'd like to finish off the agent and bounty hunter storylines

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

The stuff from DvL is bound, you can't sell on GTN.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh right, I kind of just lumped all of the Item Stash stuff together there. On the bright side, Kreia's Lower Robes for all your alts! :dance:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Cross-Section posted:

Oh right, I kind of just lumped all of the Item Stash stuff together there. On the bright side, Kreia's Lower Robes for all your alts! :dance:
Also pointless duplicates of assorted belts, helmets, and colour crystals!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Well, only if you have all of Kreia's armor pieces... Still need the full set to unlock in collections. Which is why I ended up spending 30 million on Revan Reborn's supplementary armor since i got upper and lower in my DvL packs.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, like Sombrerotron, I was referring to the fact that I have a bunch of dupes for that item. Also tons of Desert Green War Hero crystals. (soon to be Mastery crystals, but still)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
KOTFE is weird. Structurally it's just very strange.

Like the one small public map in the eternal swamp. Everything else is private and then for two minutes you see a couple of other players around stealing nodes... Why there? Why then? Strange.

i don't know if I don't like it yet, but all this trash isn't a point in its favour. Let me stealth ffs, you put this feature in the game in the first place.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For the waves of enemies just run to the checkpoint. Either kill what follows, vanish, or /stuck and respawn. Much quicker than fighting every wave.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I also missed the first twelve dialogue options asking Lana and pilot about their relationship.

They'll give me another chance to ask, right? I'd hate to miss out on that vital information.

I don't know or care who these companions are, which at least puts them a little ahead of the consular's old ones (rip).

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Well, Lana was at least involved in the whole Revan arc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
She's apparently sith so can't be trusted and I'll have to off her at some point.

But for now she'll capably fulfil a Qyzen-like meatshield role (alongside the painfully unfunny droid).

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

sassassin posted:

She's apparently sith so can't be trusted and I'll have to off her at some point.

But for now she'll capably fulfil a Qyzen-like meatshield role (alongside the painfully unfunny droid).

Please don't call Koth that

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jesus Christ Sass you literally have all the worst opinions.

Anyways, do I need to finish the Eternal level achievement before the 15th to get the companion, or do I have til the end of the month?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sassassin posted:

You can't. Lana is by all appearances and quest dialogue the one actually running the alliance. :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Anyways, do I need to finish the Eternal level achievement before the 15th to get the companion, or do I have til the end of the month?

29th.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What is happening to crafting mats? Are they adding a 10th tier? I really dislike the amount of crafting mats especially for artificer.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

You can't. Lana is by all appearances and quest dialogue the one actually running the alliance. :v:

Have you SEEN the cold glare she can give when even mildly annoyed, say by someone calling her "Goldie"? Of course she runs everything - my characters may cheerfully take on Valkorian and his messed up family, but I'm properly scared shitless of Lana :).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Cythereal posted:

According to the SWTOR forums rumor mill, Lana is the dev favorite just like Liara and Leliana were.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oh noes we have a guild bank robber. Verarnicus robbed us blind.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

sassassin posted:

KOTFE is weird. Structurally it's just very strange.

Like the one small public map in the eternal swamp. Everything else is private and then for two minutes you see a couple of other players around stealing nodes... Why there? Why then? Strange.

I will say this is one thing that never made sense to me about Zakuul segments is its all very cinematic and instanced and then when you're in the swamp or the city you see everyone running around with your companion you have out at the moment in tow. Maybe they planned on dailies, or something? It doesn't really mesh with most of the other KOTFE content and it doesn't serve any purpose at all. Having redone KOTFE recently it wasn't as jarring at launch when there would be dozens of other players in your instance right when it released but still.

quote:

i don't know if I don't like it yet, but all this trash isn't a point in its favour. Let me stealth ffs, you put this feature in the game in the first place.

It's a bit annoying in some chapters but it's not like clearing three skytroopers takes more than like twenty seconds.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Well no but it's 20 seconds I haven't had to put in for the vast majority of the game.

M_Sinistrari posted:

According to the SWTOR forums rumor mill, Lana is the dev favorite just like Liara and Leliana were.

I am shocked at this revelation.

Although saying that Senya adheres closer to the traditional pet-character writing style so far ("badass" entrance, other characters telling you how special they are etc.)

KittyEmpress posted:

Correction: no u, meatbag lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Berke Negri posted:

I will say this is one thing that never made sense to me about Zakuul segments is its all very cinematic and instanced and then when you're in the swamp or the city you see everyone running around with your companion you have out at the moment in tow. Maybe they planned on dailies, or something? It doesn't really mesh with most of the other KOTFE content and it doesn't serve any purpose at all. Having redone KOTFE recently it wasn't as jarring at launch when there would be dozens of other players in your instance right when it released but still.

I'll admit it doesn't make sense, but I've always enjoyed getting to see that I'm not the only person playing the game. I tell myself it's a concession to the idea that you're playing something MMOish.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

Wait, when was Leliana a dev fave? Even in Inquisition, she seemed a bit of a hanger-on. I would've thought Morrigan was the developers' darling.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

prefect posted:

I'll admit it doesn't make sense, but I've always enjoyed getting to see that I'm not the only person playing the game. I tell myself it's a concession to the idea that you're playing something MMOish.

I mean yeah it makes sense on the old vanilla worlds with world bosses and heroics and stuff but on Zakuul like there really isn't any reason at all. Especially since Zakuul missions you can only use companions assigned to you so you can't customize at all, either with the old comp customize system or their gear. So you port in and (at least at launch) find yourself running around the swamps with a bunch of other people with identical senyas for what purpose? Its not used for anything else, heroics, dailies, etc. Its not like I'm teaming up with random players and their Senyas to tackle the story missions in the swamps. During KOTFE launch they just pulled me out of the story and also we had to compete over objectives.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Here's my entry for the costume contest. Someone commented on an old outfit during a raid a couple of months back, thought I'd capitalize on it for this. Hope you guys enjoy watching as much as I enjoyed making it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgA9t769UoM

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Someone said my character looked like something out of Mad Max. And hey, why not post it for the costume contest.

If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road!

dreffen fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 2, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm not sure I buy that. If I had to point to anyone as a dev favorite it would be some combination of Senya, Valkorion, Arcann, or Vaylin.

Lana to me reads more like Hackett, Anderson, or Solas - she's the one giving orders and coming up with ideas while the PC is increasingly relegated to "hey, go do this totally badass thing" rather than being a driving force in the plot in their own right or otherwise taking the initiative themselves, a tendency of Bioware's that's been growing in their last several outings between ME3, DA2/I, and the TOR expansions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cythereal posted:

I'm not sure I buy that. If I had to point to anyone as a dev favorite it would be some combination of Senya, Valkorion, Arcann, or Vaylin.

I don't think it's Arcann. He's looked like a clown almost from the beginning. An immensely powerful clown, but a clown nonetheless.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

prefect posted:

I don't think it's Arcann. He's looked like a clown almost from the beginning. An immensely powerful clown, but a clown nonetheless.

I'm not sure there's some dissonance going on between how the writers want players to perceive Arcann and the general perception of Arcann as a bumbler. Same goes for Valkorion and Vaylin - I personally can't take any of them seriously as villains, but the story clearly wants me to.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Arcann doesn't look like a clown to me (yet), but neither does he look particularly effective, as the game is very quick to establish that his achievements are due to a magical fleet of super ships, and they all happen off-screen.

I'm not sure what's so bad about his rule to be honest, as Lana spends more time talking about how the remnants of the Republic and Sith Empire are infighting and loving up than she does explaining Arcann's actual crimes (the Emperor the same). He is an oppressive totalitarian ruler who leaves everyone do their own thing as long as they pay their taxes. The reason to fight him currently seems to be some nebulous concept of "Freedom" (which hasn't existed for my character at any point), and personal vendetta for freezing me.

Vaylinn at least gets a couple of moments establishing power and threat on a personal level (sensing the ghost-player, ripping off a door that Lana struggled to open a few feet).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cythereal posted:

I'm not sure there's some dissonance going on between how the writers want players to perceive Arcann and the general perception of Arcann as a bumbler. Same goes for Valkorion and Vaylin - I personally can't take any of them seriously as villains, but the story clearly wants me to.

Valkorion doesn't respect Arcann, either. During your initial meeting with the big V, he tells Arcann he has no ambition, only jealousy. (Could be misquoting the specifics there.) And before the fight at the Scion hangout, he says "beware the snake who thinks himself a dragon". (Again, probably an imprecise quote.) Arcann seems like a petulant child with waaayyyy too much power.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Cythereal posted:

Lana to me reads more like Hackett, Anderson, or Solas - she's the one giving orders and coming up with ideas while the PC is increasingly relegated to "hey, go do this totally badass thing" rather than being a driving force in the plot in their own right or otherwise taking the initiative themselves, a tendency of Bioware's that's been growing in their last several outings between ME3, DA2/I, and the TOR expansions.

I write it off as "It's the SWTOR forums". A Special Place where one can read things like:

1) When the Stivsen fight bug cropped up in Depths of Manaan, there were people seriously insisting the fight wasn't bugged, it was just bad players who only spam their basic attack not getting the achievement ding for killing him.
2) All the games woes like credit sellers started with introducing f2p. Before then it was a happy Golden Age where everything was perfect with the game.
3) The game would completely collapse if they dared even look at revising the restrictions for preferred/f2p and subs would all quit if any of their sub bonuses that most don't even bother with anymore were made available in any form to anyone who didn't qualify for them the first time because the exclusivity is apparently the only thing keeping subs.

I swear at times it feels a bit like the old Bioware forums and I half expect someone to do a post explaining what DS Jaesa's sweat tastes like.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

Wait, when was Leliana a dev fave? Even in Inquisition, she seemed a bit of a hanger-on. I would've thought Morrigan was the developers' darling.

I think it's because she's a lot like Liara (and Lana to some extent) in that it sort of feels like she has a crush on the Warden regardless of whether or not you romance her. Plus it's really easy to romance her even if you didn't mean to. She also shows up in every game, a couple of the novels and comics, and has her own DLC which is more than Morrigan (despite her being the better character).

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Turbl posted:

I think it's because she's a lot like Liara (and Lana to some extent) in that it sort of feels like she has a crush on the Warden regardless of whether or not you romance her. Plus it's really easy to romance her even if you didn't mean to. She also shows up in every game, a couple of the novels and comics, and has her own DLC which is more than Morrigan (despite her being the better character).

I wouldn't say she has a crush on the Outlander no matter what, but she does that "this is your ~*Destiny*~" speal a lot, which I feel those playing non-force users would roll their eyes at.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

What I can't figure out in all this is why it is wrong or bad for writers to like the characters they write or try to make them interesting. Like what exactly is the alternative, everybody is bland and lovely and the player character is the only special person in the universe? Isn't that exactly what makes a lot of other video game writing bad? Am I seeing this right, that people are literally angry about a character getting a cool entrance?

Play through Makeb again and tell me how cool and engaging it was to have a bland and forgettable supporting cast.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

I wouldn't say she has a crush on the Outlander no matter what, but she does that "this is your ~*Destiny*~" speal a lot, which I feel those playing non-force users would roll their eyes at.
That's not true I think, only the Scion dude (whose name escapes me right now) and Koth keep going on about destiny this and destiny that. Well, they and Valkorion of course, but he's more an observer than a participant in all the events of KotFE. Lana's the pragmatic figure who simply recognises that the Outlander is the Alliance's leader (or figurehead, maybe) by default, and is therefore adamant that they continue fulfilling that role in order to topple the Eternal Empire.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

What I can't figure out in all this is why it is wrong or bad for writers to like the characters they write or try to make them interesting. Like what exactly is the alternative, everybody is bland and lovely and the player character is the only special person in the universe? Isn't that exactly what makes a lot of other video game writing bad? Am I seeing this right, that people are literally angry about a character getting a cool entrance?

Play through Makeb again and tell me how cool and engaging it was to have a bland and forgettable supporting cast.
BioWare: "We really like this character and hope you do, too."
Players: "We don't like this character."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Reading the spoilers for KotET, it definitely seems that Bioware expected players to like Arcann a lot more than they actually do. Same thing happened with Koth in KotFE, really.

• Locked thread