Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DaveWoo posted:

The thing is, though, they'd have to prove that Comey was acting with deliberate intent to sway the election, as opposed to just being extremely careless.

In any case, if the emails turn out to be nothing, it'd be such a massive humiliation for Comey that he'd basically have to resign.
I feel like it could be a pretty easy argument for them if Comey has had a good track record, and he's the leader of the FBI, extreme carelessness in a position like that SHOULD be punishable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder if they'll actually go after him for it though. Hopefully! Naked, wholly biased abuse of power like that shouldn't be condoned, and not punishing him for it just encourages future abuse.
Is it really abuse of power if it helps the Republican Party

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Something is hosed up here. I think these are not all national polls.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Something is hosed up here. I think these are not all national polls.
I believe they are all national polls, although some of them predate Emailghazi III: Beyond Comeydome

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Nessus posted:

I believe they are all national polls, although some of them predate Emailghazi III: Beyond Comeydome

What polls have we seen that actually showed a strong negative reaction to Comey?

Not much more than the NC outlier, no?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nessus posted:

A week ago might as well be a month ago. So yeah, weird to call it 11/1 6pm numbers.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Thread title is amazing

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Endorph posted:

I don't think it's more white people voting dropping the black share down. It's more hispanic people voting.

Also, reports from strategists suggest that Clinton is not doing enough to engage with black voters. While other demographics may be a factor some of this probably can be attributed to insufficient action by the campaign.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/793607304981598209

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

What polls have we seen that actually showed a strong negative reaction to Comey?

Not much more than the NC outlier, no?
I think other than that NC one there has not been a major move of the needle for or against abeula, but it may have riled up the deplorables and possibly led to some Johnson voters to get on the Trump Train

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got a robocall telling me to vote Trump today. I have a suspicion that my boss gave them my number.

On the upside, Obama is going to be speaking at my alma mater this week and I'm (hopefully) going to see him speak in person.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like it could be a pretty easy argument for them if Comey has had a good track record, and he's the leader of the FBI, extreme carelessness in a position like that SHOULD be punishable.

The FBI, NSA, and CIA are always revolving in who gets the scorn for a few years. Back when Y'all Qaeda was happening, a lot of people were saying stuff about how the FBI has had a better track record than the CIA; just faint praise acknowledging that they basically hadn't been caught with their pants around their ankles frequently.

Comey is obviously changing that. The right wing bubble has come to the same conclusion that he's a loving clown, it's just that their algebra included some false flag nonsense.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

They have been slowly moving R over the last few decades. They used to be an impregnable Dem stronghold, but the Republicans embracing white identity politics has moved it closer towards the center.

I'd put them into reliable blue, personally, but hey.

If the DFL can hold the governorship in 2018 I would say Minnesota is good through 2030.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Phone posted:

The FBI, NSA, and CIA are always revolving in who gets the scorn for a few years. Back when Y'all Qaeda was happening, a lot of people were saying stuff about how the FBI has had a better track record than the CIA; just faint praise acknowledging that they basically hadn't been caught with their pants around their ankles frequently.

Comey is obviously changing that. The right wing bubble has come to the same conclusion that he's a loving clown, it's just that their algebra included some false flag nonsense.

Really? What was the reaction to the newset file dump by the FBI in right wing circles?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

Really? What was the reaction to the newset file dump by the FBI in right wing circles?
There was a surprisingly large amount of "Comey is covering up for the REAL Clinton bombshells coming in any minute now from Wikileaks"

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Noctone posted:

It's blatantly obvious that he's violating the Hatch Act but prosecuting him for it would probably be exceedingly difficult.

Oh, and this is the loving thing that is REALLY killing us, rotting our collective brain from the inside. Used to be, when considering an action like this, even a ruthless politician would come think "This is illegal. We can't do it," because he would understand that the law was put in place for a reason, and probably have a good idea of the context in which that law came to pass. But now, it's "This is illegal. Who's going to come after me and what penalty can they inflict?" with no consideration whatsoever for either the deeper reason for why you (or indeed anybody) should not do this thing, or for the fact that if you in fact do this thing, you are part of that rot that ultimately kills all all empires, the rot from within.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nessus posted:

I think other than that NC one there has not been a major move of the needle for or against abeula, but it may have riled up the deplorables and possibly led to some Johnson voters to get on the Trump Train

Which polls, though. Point to them.

There was a drop from 2 weeks ago to Friday, but which polls show a drop from Friday to now?

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
Trump and his BFF Putin are the top story on CNN right now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Duscat posted:

Used to be, when considering an action like this, even a ruthless politician would come think "This is illegal. We can't do it," because he would understand that the law was put in place for a reason, and probably have a good idea of the context in which that law came to pass.
it never used to be this

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

nachos posted:

lol what the gently caress is this new FBI release :wtc:

Wait what now?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BigRed0427 posted:

I just read Alex Jones' Twitter feed and now I am drunk please send help. (seriously, he's posting about how Clinton is telling Democratic voters to riot if when she loses)

I don't have any examples off hand because I try to not stare into the void for too long.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Well this was a lovely day for polls.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait what now?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/01/politics/fbi-clinton-marc-rich-investigation/index.html

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait what now?

https://twitter.com/FBIRecordsVault?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

FBI records vault twitter account dumped a bunch of FOIA requests.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

the tiny hands feelers twitter list is pretty nice but there are some real clunkers on there

whoever is in charge of curating that list please remove salena zito god she's so bad

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

it never used to be this

Feels like a pretty bad slip since the days of J Edgar Hoover at least. Are there examples of the 3 letter agencies playing politics as bad since then?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tricky D posted:

https://twitter.com/FBIRecordsVault?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

FBI records vault twitter account dumped a bunch of FOIA requests.

I don't even think it was that, they tweeted about it without a FOIA request.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

theflyingorc posted:

Which polls, though. Point to them.

There was a drop from 2 weeks ago to Friday, but which polls show a drop from Friday to now?

Other than the tracking polls, there haven't really been many regularly reporting polls to see if Comey had any effect. There is the NBC/SM poll that saw no change post Comey, and overall no change in the last week, but it's also shown no reaction to most events that caused polls to shift (conventions, pneumoniagate, pussygate, and the first debate).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder if they'll actually go after him for it though. Hopefully! Naked, wholly biased abuse of power like that shouldn't be condoned, and not punishing him for it just encourages future abuse.

How would they prove a violation of the Hatch Act and not just Comey being an idiot though? That he might have carried a grudge due to Bill's last minute pardon of someone would be hosed up if true, but it's all speculation currently. The Hatch Act seems like one of those things that you'd need a video confession to actually prosecute without it looking like the party in power going after political opponents. With any luck he'll be told "resign or be fired" during the lame duck.

Tom Guycot posted:

Hey he can bill it as the TRUE state of the union addresses from the REAL president, not that phony one the (((globalists))) put into fake power.

I want Donald Trump to give the GOP's response to Hillary Clinton's SOTU so badly.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

I will miss Joe Biden even though I realize that he has the essentially similar hawkish issues Clinton kinda has?

https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/793604888869634048

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The most concerning detail:

quote:

Prior to Sunday, the account hadn't tweeted since October 2015. A law enforcement official told CNN that the Twitter account is an automatic feed and the tweets are not done manually. The official said the feed was down for a year until Sunday, when it was fixed and then began tweeting automatically.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ogmius815 posted:

Well this was a lovely day for polls.

...?

which ones

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

Other than the tracking polls, there haven't really been many regularly reporting polls to see if Comey had any effect. There is the NBC/SM poll that saw no change post Comey, and overall no change in the last week, but it's also shown no reaction to most events that caused polls to shift (conventions, pneumoniagate, pussygate, and the first debate).

Probably no enthusiasm screen, just "do you intend to vote" & "have you voted before" questions.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Except for GBV and DEVO
Nothing seems to redeem Ohio

Cedar Point? Skyline Chili?

Um... Cedar Point?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-yes-donald-trump-has-a-path-to-victory/

Thanks Nate

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

CapnAndy posted:

In all seriousness the "wrestling fans are rednecks" stereotype is seriously out of date. The Venn diagram between "comic book nerds" and "pro wrestling fans" is very close to being a single circle, and these days that includes the wrestlers too, who can be hilarious dorks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdCRrOF7ghg

And from the world of MMA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MmTk2Gbl2E

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

Also, reports from strategists suggest that Clinton is not doing enough to engage with black voters. While other demographics may be a factor some of this probably can be attributed to insufficient action by the campaign.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/793607304981598209

I'm still skeptical about this kind of talk. I remember hearing that AA turnout was expected to dip back down to 2000-2004 levels again, and we all know how that turned out.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Phone posted:

I don't even think it was that, they tweeted about it without a FOIA request.

The stated purpose of the twitter account is to publicly release FOIA requests. The massive dump today suggests that they have been sitting on a bunch of them for a while. I have no doubt that that the timing and order of the tweets were politically motivated, but I still think that they represent actual FOIA requests.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/793450901092438017

:ok:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm still skeptical about this kind of talk. I remember hearing that AA turnout was expected to dip back down to 2000-2004 levels again, and we all know how that turned out.

2008 and 2012 were record levels of turnout for obvious reasons, but I don't like that Team Clinton isn't partnering with local groups as much as they could be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Skyline Chili?

You should look up what the word redeem means. :v:

• Locked thread