Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Tbh in a similar vein to the whole battlefield 1/tasteless videogames thing, I find the current interest that genre fiction has in colonialism and how it's all wrapped up in bullshit steampunk stuff really uncomfortable. There's a kind of attitude where the setting takes a step away from reality, where it is the steampunk British Empire, so it is different and there's racial and gender equality in this alternate British Empire so it's cool for me, the author, to write about how great it would be to go on an adventure in this setting. But they tend to just be filing the difficult edges off of a concept that is just inherently built upon ideas of racism and violence and exploitation. I think it grosses me out so much because it's my own country, and growing up there the school curriculum doesn't cover the empire at all, which is what leads to bullshit historical revisionism and the idolisation of the period by terrible genre fiction authors.

The colonial period as an aesthetic is something that gets touched upon in advertising/branding sometimes too and it's always terrible to see it there, but I feel like there's not the obsession with it in marketing that nerds have with the whole Steampunk British Empire poo poo.

Red Bones has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Red Bones posted:

Tbh in a similar vein to the whole battlefield 1/tasteless videogames thing, I find the current interest that genre fiction has in colonialism and how it's all wrapped up in bullshit steampunk stuff really uncomfortable. There's a kind of attitude where the setting takes a step away from reality, where it is the steampunk British Empire, so it is different and there's racial and gender equality in this alternate British Empire so it's cool for me, the author, to write about how great it would be to go on an adventure in this setting. But they tend to just be filing the difficult edges off of a concept that is just inherently built upon ideas of racism and violence and exploitation. I think it grosses me out so much because it's my own country, and growing up there the school curriculum doesn't cover the empire at all, which is what leads to bullshit historical revisionism and the idolisation of the period by terrible genre fiction authors.

The colonial period as an aesthetic is something that gets touched upon in advertising/branding sometimes too and it's always terrible to see it there, but I feel like there's not the obsession with it in marketing that nerds have with the whole Steampunk British Empire poo poo.

I think you're kind of missing the point if you're talking about a setting that's specifically fictional so that it can change around things like racism and sexism. It's like claiming Game of Thrones is engaging in historical revisionism for not accurately depicting race relations in medieval Europe.

I think we'd have a problem if people were whitewashing a legitimate historical setting, like if they actually did something set in an otherwise accurate 1890s and had outright false depictions of how colonialism acted (like all the real fiction from back then that depicted Africans as just frizzy-haired monkeys), but we're talking about blatant fiction with steam-powered mecha and Victorian laser beams. That's not exactly the setting where you expect realistic depictions of history.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Decrepus posted:

Remember when this post sparked controversy?

idgi

Was AOE2 horribly racist somehow and my 12 year-old brain didn't pick up on it at the time?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chitoryu12 posted:

I think you're kind of missing the point if you're talking about a setting that's specifically fictional so that it can change around things like racism and sexism. It's like claiming Game of Thrones is engaging in historical revisionism for not accurately depicting race relations in medieval Europe.

I think we'd have a problem if people were whitewashing a legitimate historical setting, like if they actually did something set in an otherwise accurate 1890s and had outright false depictions of how colonialism acted (like all the real fiction from back then that depicted Africans as just frizzy-haired monkeys), but we're talking about blatant fiction with steam-powered mecha and Victorian laser beams. That's not exactly the setting where you expect realistic depictions of history.

Considering the first steampunk book was explicit about how lovely the empire was and everything since then has been Lord Wankenshire jizzing on gears, I have to say that the idolization of the colonial period is still really gross.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I feel inadequate for disliking steampunk only because of nerds.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, there are the cartoon villains too, but you do kill a lot of looters on sight, and then immediately take stuff off of their warm bodies. Only you attacking people on sight and looting the corpses of your victims is the good thing.
It's a little... hypocritical? Ironic? I can't think of the word, but it's definitely shaky moral ground, and definitely not something that people should be rooting for
The moral issues in The Division are not unique to the game at all, they are your common everyday Shooter game issues (Like why does no-one surrender or flee? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAaboP_4Wco Why are these people being Bad for?)
You can't harm civilians in any way (apart from dogs, the game lets you shoot dogs in the street. Not once in the game does a dog ever attack you). Trying to shoot them just puts them in a generic panic state and they soak up your bullets.
Anyone you can harm is someone that is going to shoot you purely for existing near them, uniform or not they will shoot at you. The closest option you get to a moral high-ground is letting them detect you and allow them to open fire first, or just run away as they shoot bullets into your back until you're far away enough from them to despawn. But they will always shoot you and they will never offer to surrender even if you kill 30 of their friends in front of them.

These are the Rioters (Looters). They don't blend in with in-game civilians at all. Nothing in the game suggests they're gathering loot for a greater cause or community. They're openly hostile to what's left of the Peacekeeping forces and civilians. They come spouting the 'gently caress the people everything is poo poo we take what we want gently caress the weak' outlook. Not a single one of their combat barks hint at not wanting to fight or shoot you dead.
They are your stereotypical generic aggressive street gang enemies.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Every single enemy is a civilian, you're killing American citizens every single time you kill someone.
You're a secret agent authorized by the president to murder any civilian survivors of a terrorist attack that you decide to be a threat to stability. There's no due process, there's no accountability, there's only you deciding which citizens of the largest city in the United States deserve to live.

When the whole country has been battling with the use of force by and the accountability of the police for years, portraying the secret agents as heroes is beyond tone deaf

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Okay, who's heard the Tide ad on Pandora? I wish I could find a recording. A little girl is naively singing what sounds like a nursery rhyme, only she's listing hazardous chemicals and items that kids could accidentally ingest. How nice of Tide for the public service announcement. Near the end the little girl very clearly says "bleached buttholes." I've finally figured out that she's supposed to be saying bleach bottles. But I have to MAKE myself hear bleach bottles because she says it like "buttles" because she a cute widdle girl.

You gotta pay the troll toll I guess.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Every single enemy is a civilian, you're killing American citizens every single time you kill someone.
You're a secret agent authorized by the president to murder any civilian survivors of a terrorist attack that you decide to be a threat to stability. There's no due process, there's no accountability, there's only you deciding which citizens of the largest city in the United States deserve to live.

When the whole country has been battling with the use of force by and the accountability of the police for years, portraying the secret agents as heroes is beyond tone deaf
This city you're getting sent into

The Rioters are killing unarmed people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgWFnY0SJZQ&t=111s
The Cleaners that are burning everyone and everything they deem infected. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgWFnY0SJZQ&t=30s (Even their own, at least one of the collectables is a conversation between one Cleaner having a cold, because it's winter, and having to talk his way out of his fellow Cleaners from burning him on the spot)
The Rikers that are killing everyone that isn't them in the streets for revenge and fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgWFnY0SJZQ&t=85s
You know, innocent civilians that aren't a threat.

How about the LMB? They're an (American) heavily armed PMC that was hired to protect rich people/Wall Street that got abandoned in the city. They also want to restore peace and order but the catch is they want to do it in their own name, gently caress the Government so that includes shooting down the JTF peacekeepers.
Where does this put them? We are morally allowed to shoot these people?
Would it make it morally better if we were just Random Guy With Gun instead of working for this super Cool Secret Ultra Undercover Agent Division?

At the end of the day it's a video game about fulfilling a power fantasy but it's hardly worse than most other games.
What are your thoughts on Just Cause 2, or Tom Clancy's Future Soldier.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Croccers posted:

At the end of the day it's a video game about fulfilling a power fantasy but it's hardly worse than most other games.

The power fantasy being 'killing desperate people who have less than you.'

I dunno dude, I'll take 'yeah these rabbit-skull-face shadow things are creatures who aren't human and they are literally evil look we wrote this whole backstory for why it's totally okay to kill them they don't even really die so phew right' over 'this guy's scary because he's terrified and hungry, aren't you lucky you've got a +19 shotgun of loving and a +4 cravat of smackdowns' any day.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 07:44 on Nov 2, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Of course, they did say that they are all evil and poo poo and not just The Poors, but considering a shocking amount of people consider Undesirables as wild orcs who eat babies and want to steal your TV because they just love being bad it's sorta playing into that and reinforcing it. It's like American Sniper, the fact that Chris Kyle technically only kills Evil Terrorists doesn't make the implications less...unsavory.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Fuckin' Borderlands did that part right, at least. Bandits are so comically evil and vicious and violent and cruel and inhuman and the world they live on is so barbaric that killing them feels cathartic and justified. The non-canonical well-integrated resurrection system and storybook end pieces help to frame the violence as more of a contest of consenting participants rather than slaughter of the weak by the strong.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lord Wankenshire jizzing on gears

Mods, I beg of you.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Somfin posted:

The power fantasy being 'killing desperate people who have less than you.'

I dunno dude, I'll take 'yeah these rabbit-skull-face shadow things are creatures who aren't human and they are literally evil look we wrote this whole backstory for why it's totally okay to kill them they don't even really die so phew right' over 'this guy's scary because he's terrified and hungry, aren't you lucky you've got a +19 shotgun of loving and a +4 cravat of smackdowns' any day.

I think the kind of moral nuances you want to find are not going to be readily available in a medium made for 17 year olds.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
None of the awful parts of The Division matter because it's a terrible game

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Non Serviam posted:

I think the kind of moral nuances you want to find are not going to be readily available in a medium made for 17 year olds.

Undertale, Spec Ops: The Line, and Iji all pulled it off. It's just difficult.

And let's not pretend that's the fault of the medium.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

That is a fair point

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Somfin posted:

Undertale, Spec Ops: The Line, and Iji all pulled it off. It's just difficult.

And let's not pretend that's the fault of the medium.

I play video games, I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just that it seems tough.

This War of Mine was terrible. In a good way. But that poo poo hurt to play. :ohdear:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I don't think this is the tagline I would have gone with, to be honest.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Isn't weed legal in Colorado?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I don't think this is the tagline I would have gone with, to be honest.

What is it with Colorado?
http://www.denverstiffs.com/2016/10/21/13358494/denver-nuggets-white-pride-jerseys-2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/GreenPartyUS/status/794028419403096065

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Already been deleted

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Door Frame posted:

Already been deleted

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
E: wtf awful.app

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Nov 3, 2016

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

We have never progressed beyond the perfection of 50 Cent's "Blood on the Sand".

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Less of a dumb marketing move and more of a dumb ad placement move, but I recently got a Twitter ad telling me to vote Hillary. The thing is, I live in a non-English speaking corner of Europe, have lived here my entire life, and have never been to the States (nor am I following the US elections at all), so I am not sure how well-thought this campaign is. I don't think it is reaching its target demographics, though.

Also, not so bad, but Youtube kept at some point in time quite stubbornly showing me ads for a local right-wing party candidate. He was running for a government position at a state around 1000 km away from where I live. I am pretty sure Google has my location, so again no idea how it got so mixed up...

Edited for dumb typo, it's late here...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jiru posted:

Less of a dumb marketing move and more of a dumb ad placement move, but I recently got a Twitter ad telling me to vote Hillary. The thing is, I live in a non-English speaking corner of Europe, have lived here my entire life, and have never been to the States (nor am I following the US elections at all), so I am not sure how well-thought this campaign is. I don't think it is reaching its target demographics, though.

Also, not so bad, but Youtube kept at some point in time quite stubbornly showing me ads for a local right-wing party candidate. He was running for a government position at a state around 1000 km away from where I live. I am pretty sure Google has my location, so again no idea how it got so mixed up...

That sounds like a technical issue with Twitter's targeting or your ISP or something. Still silly though

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Last Chance posted:

That sounds like a technical issue with Twitter's targeting or your ISP or something. Still silly though

He is one of the rare few who is immune to the illuminati tracking grid.

Expect a visit from rag tag freedom fighters looking to recruit soon

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Jiru posted:

Are you using Google's DNS servers?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Dumb marketing...

... or good marketing????

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is nothing inappropriate about a SHVT BOX. Anyone who claims otherwise has a dirty mind.

It’s like SpaceX’s BFR, which totally stands for “Big Falcon Rocket”, we swear.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Burger King has been running ads on Pandora where people with funny accents go out of their minds for their breakfast deals and if anything, it makes me not want to get food there

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Creepy esports marketing:

https://twitter.com/mouzNiKo/status/799319033740869632

http://kotaku.com/pro-counter-strike-bobbleheads-look-as-creepy-as-youd-i-1789177498

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always find it funny when my colleagues complain about the dumb collectible poo poo that their kids are going nuts over considering ~75% of them have at least one FunkoPop figure adorning their desk.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Just gonna leave this here:

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/behold-chinas-answer-amazon-echo-linglong-dingdong/amp/

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm more of a fan of the Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang myself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're just cutting the racists off at the pass.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

I hope they use "So there was only one thing that I could do, was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long" in ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI#t=0m12s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

so a chinese company gave their product a weirdly racist name?